• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 3,567 Views, 653 Comments

The First Steps of the Rest of Your Life - Rhino



A vet, an engineer, and a power company intern all walk into a town... it's not a joke it's a story.

  • ...
9
 653
 3,567

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: Parents

***Friday, Day 27, morning***

**Ponyville Train Station**

*A train whistle sounds close by*

It’s about time it got here.

I close my book and get off the bench I was reading on while waiting. The colorful train slows down as it comes into the station, finally coming to a stop with a gush of air announcing its official arrival. I stand my ground as the tide of colorful equines exiting the train flows around me while keeping my eyes open for two in particular. A small smile grows on my face as I spot them chatting as they get off the train and wave them over to me.

Mom gets to me first, exclaiming, “Rhino! There’s my big colt!” She grabs me in a hug and kisses my cheek as I lean down to reciprocate it.

My mother’s name is Mist Scribe. She is a bright red pegasus of small build that stands about a head shorter than me with a straight mane and tail, both dark brown, golden eyes, and a stack of books as a cutie mark.

As I pull back after Mom’s hug I turn to Dad and give him one as well as he greets me, “It’s good to see you Rhino.”

My father’s name is Bio Blaze. He is a dark blue unicorn of a more muscular build than myself that stands about half a head shorter than me with grey mane, tail, and mustache, the same chocolate brown eyes as myself, and a flaming biohazard symbol cutie mark.

As I pull back after the hug I feel shifting in my mane as Specter wakes up and pokes his head out, making my mom giggle at him as he stares down at her with curious eyes. He climbs down off my head to the ground in front me as I make introductions.

I gesture to my little friend, “Mom, Dad, this is Specter.”

Mom leans down and coos at Specs, “Aww, aren’t you a cute one?” Specs scuffs his foot on the ground a bit in response.

Dad walks forward and scratches Specs lightly behind the ears, remarking, “Bet you could be a lot of trouble if you wanted to…”

I chuckle as Specs climbs back up onto my head after the attention. “How about we head back to the house so you can drop off your things before I show you around?”

Dad smiles and nods, “Sounds good.”

As we arrive at the house, I am immediately thankful that Hydro had finished the work he was doing on his wall the day before. It turns out he was putting in a full sized tank for Schmoopy. Slightly nervous, I give my parents a quick tour around and it gets the parental seal of approval despite being fairly sparsely furnished, but both of them write it off because it’s essentially a “fresh out of college bachelor pad” at the moment. Afterwards on our way to the dam to see Hydro, I bring them to the clinic to meet Mane and Manilla whom they asked in essence, “Is our son giving you any trouble?” While they were laughing at that, I decided to take a quick trip my office after that to let my red face cool down and also make sure there was nothing urgent while my parents and coworkers finished up in the front. After that we chat for a bit as we head up to the dam, walking in on the slightly odd sight of Hydro hunched over some plans he has lain in front of Schmoopy’s tank here at the dam while asking the eel for his opinion of said plans.

I alert Hydro to our presence to forestall any further oddness, “Hey Hydro.”

His ears perk up at my voice as he turns, “Oh hey Rhino-“ He notices my parents behind me, “hey Mist, hey Mr. Blaze.”

Right, I forgot he calls Dad that since they haven’t actually met in person many times, seeing as how Hydro and I met when I was living with Mom.

Mom smiles brightly and gives Hydro a hug, “Hey Hydro, how’s my other son?”

Heh, I still like how she calls him her other son since he came over so much.

Hydro chuckles as he returns the hug, “I’m doing fine.”

Dad and Hydro brohoof as Dad looks at Schmoopy, “So it looks like both of you found pets despite being here less than a month.”

Hydro just shrugs, “Just kind of happened really.”

Hydro ends up taking my parents on a small tour of the dam including the control room, within which I become reacquainted with a certain button that I’m sure I’ll have a use for later.

It’s not the right time, I’ll probably only be able to push this once so I need to save it for an opportune moment… like when there are less witnesses and more scapegoats.

We end up chatting and having a light lunch with Hydro before waving goodbye as we start the fair trek back to town. On our way back though we get surprised by my favorite pegasus hailing us from above.

Fluttershy is breathing heavier than usual as she lands, as though she’s been flying around for a time, “There you are Rhino."

I smile at her, “Hey Fluttershy.”

Mom perks up from behind me, causing the yellow pegasus the utter a small squeak and hide behind her mane, “Rhino… who is this?”

Well… I suppose they were going to find out eventually…

I walk up to Fluttershy’s side and turn around facing my parents and put a foreleg around her, “Mom, Dad, this is Fluttershy, my marefriend. Fluttershy, this is Mist Scribe and Bio Blaze, my parents.” I gesture to each pony in question with my other foreleg as I speak.

I can feel Fluttershy shake slightly as she continues to hide behind her mane as she greets them quietly, “Umm… Hello.”

Mom and Dad seemed stunned for a moment before they both break out in huge smiles looking at the two of us.

Mom looks between Fluttershy and myself before settling on the pegasus, saying while smiling, “So you’re the one my boy chose hmm?” Fluttershy stiffens as Mom grabs her in a hug before she relaxes a little, “Welcome to the family, Fluttershy!”

I raise my eyebrow at this statement even as I feel my face start to burn from embarrassment, “Mom we just started officially dating a little over two weeks ago, don’t you think it’s a little soon for that?”

Mom releases Fluttershy, who seems a little more relaxed but is still partially behind her mane, and waves my words off with a hoof, “Oh I’m sure it won’t be too long before we’re hearing wedding bells and tiny hooves.”

Both mine and my marefriend’s faces turn a brilliant red at those implications as Dad walks up and claps me on the back with a similar smile on his face, “That’s my boy, looks like all that waiting you did paid off huh? I’m happy for the both of you.” He ruffles my mane a bit before walking back to where Mom was standing.

Change of subject time!

I look to my blushing marefriend whose face is slowly losing its redness, “So Fluttershy, were you looking for me or something?”

She perks up slightly at my question, “Oh umm, yes. I was actually looking for you to bring you and your parents to the party Pinkie set up for them.”

Mom, as definitely the most vocal of the group, replies, “Oh, you all didn’t have to go through the trouble of throwing a party, we’re only here for the day after all.”

If anything, what would have been trouble is STOPPING Pinkie from throwing the party.

I turn to my parents, “It’s at that life sized gingerbread house we passed earlier.”

Dad nods, “Well alright then, might as well enjoy it. Let’s get going!”

I stand off to the side as he and Mom walk ahead of us, before looking at Fluttershy and bowing while gesturing after them, “Shall we?”

She giggles and nods as we set off after them, I curl my tail lightly around hers as we walk and receive a nuzzle in return.

The party ends up being a thankfully small affair, only the girls, Blue, Volt, myself, and Hydro were invited. Initially the group besides those who already knew are a bit surprised that Mom is a pegasus, but they pretty much shrug it off and go on as usual. Since they are only here for a short time Mom and Dad have most of the questions directed at them. The girls end up getting most of the basic information on them: that Mom works as a clinic receptionist and Dad as the Chief of the Hazardous Materials division of the Canterlot Fire Department, that I am an only child, and then they even somehow get them to tell some stories of my childhood which manages to still bring embarrassed chuckles from me despite doing my best to tune out the conversation at that point.

Some surprises are found as well. Turns out Blue and Mom had met before now when she had a job as the librarian at his high school in Cloudsdale. Of course then came the other surprise of my parents finding out about us being sent on the whole “Fluffers” quest… that took some explaining about why I didn’t tell them about it, but frankly it just slipped my mind before now that they didn’t know. Mom and Dad were both proud but Mom still lightly chided me about doing such dangerous things… I’m glad I didn’t tell them about the incident with the gang. Of course this also lead to their realization that they were talking with the Element Bearers and that Hydro, Blue, and I were dating them… and we were back to good natured teasing.

Later on finds Hydro and myself seeing off my parents at the station later that evening, hugs, kisses, and farewells are given as the train pulls up and unloads the current passengers to take on new ones. Hydro and I wave after them as the train pulls away, turning to head back home until a cough from behind us causes us to turn back around.

In front of us are two royal pegasus guards that we had seen on the train. They currently have a black pegasus with a two tone green mane in between them.

The one on the right speaks up, “Dr. Rhino and Mr. Hydro Pump?”

Hydro and I look at each other and back at the guards, “Yes?”

PreviousChapters Next