• Published 9th Aug 2014
  • 3,209 Views, 22 Comments

Are You There?... Mommy? - OscornBrony



Once the invasion of Canterlot failed, numerous Changelings were lost. One was very much missed by the survivors at the hive.

  • ...
1
 22
 3,209

Where Are You?

I could feel the deadly bite of the cold that drifted into the cave entrance. The harsh winter had shown no mercy towards us, and it stopped us from being able to travel far in the search for 'love' to feed on. All the Changelings were now hard pressed for survival, and we've been reduced to feeding off of the 'love' of the small wild life around the cave. This was hard being that they didn't like to spend time around the hive, so we had to search them out, but that was not what had brought me to this cave.

I could here the sounds of my walking down the passage of stone and gravel. The sounds of my steppes, ringing back to me, brought back some level of comfort as I could pretend that Mother was there, walking with me just like she had done many times with me, as well as all my other brothers and sisters.

I had to fight not to look back to try to see her, only to realize that she wasn't there.

The cave was not deep, only about a hundred feet in before you reach the back wall. Once I got to the back of the cave, my softly glowing horn reviled a simple stone pillar, about two feet tall and carved with Changeling script.

As the darkness yielded at my approach of the stone, I stopped. The sound of hoof steppes around me stopped and I turned my head to look the way I came. 'No...Mother is not here...Not anymore.'

I could feel cooled water starting to slide down my face and I felt a shiver go threw me. Not because of the cold this time, nor was it the tears that started to fall more freely as I turned again to face what I had come to see, but because of the lonesomeness and the feel of being cast out alone in the world without a guardian, a leader, a mother.

I lowered myself to lay on the freezing ground of the cave, to get a more comfortable feel for the conversation that lay ahead.

"Hi Mommy. It's me again. I know I've not been here for a wile. It's been getting colder and you know how well we fair in this kind of weather. The General stepped out side of the hive to get some fresh air and rest. We found him out there the next morning. He had died. You were always good to us, even when we could not see it. You told us that it was fine to sleep out side in spring and summer, but never in winter or late fall.You have always sought for our protection."

I laid there for some time with noting else to say for a time. Thinking of all the times where mother had helped us and sheltered us in our lives. 'Who is here to do that now, Mommy?

"He tried to take your place. The General, I mean. He tried to pull the hive back together into that solid force we were when you were here. He could not do it. There was no way he could. Why can't you be here?! We need you! The hive has no where near the amount of 'love' we need to last this winter. We can't go on without you, Mommy."

I could feel the tears freeze on the sides of my face, and I felt the smooth, thin, sheet of ice that the puddle of salt water had become on the floor. The temperature remained to drop.

"We have tried to gain love from the ponies, but they are beginning to be more weary of the Changelings. They do not hunt us, but they lookout for us. They do not heed us and it is that neglect that is killing us. What would you have us do? We can not sustain ourselves by feeding off of the 'love' of each other and if we could, there is no love within the hive anymore without you."

"...There's been something I've been meaning to ask you. ...Why do the ponies hate us? What has happened to our two races that divides us to this extent? We do nothing to them. We merely feed of the prescience of 'love', not the love that they have. Don't they know this? Is that why they force us to obtain our food by sneaking in, and around, their kind? Do they mean to destroy us? I can not stop but think that they shall succeed that purpose, if they have planed it or not."

"Are you there?... Mommy? Can you hear me? Can you see our suffering without you?"

The last of the warmth from the sun outside vanished and the cold seemed to grow in it's bite. It's just about time for me to leave.

"Do you remember the lullaby? The one you use to sing every night there was a storm outside the hive. Could you sing it again? One last time."

I brought my legs into my body to preserve my warmth as the wind keep blowing in from the mouth of the cave. Then I began to let the memories of old fill my mind. The memories of a simple song.

Good night my children,
Have no fear.
The storm may rage around us,
But don't forget, I am here.
Troubles will come,
But the winds will blow them away.
Do not forget that there comes another day.
So feed off my love,
Of mother and kin.
I will forever love you,
In every storm we are in.

Looking up with blurred vision I read the words written upon the stone, as I have done over and over again, if not with my eyes, I read it with my thoughts, feelings and love. 'Queen Chrysalis, The Crystal Of The Hive' I smiled and rested my head once again. I slowed my breathing and closed my eyes.

"Goodnight, Mommy. I know I'll find you soon. I love you, Mommy."

Laying down I let the coldness come, with my head resting on the face of the stone and a single thought on my mind.

'Where are you, Mommy?'

Comments ( 22 )

Wow.
Ive been reading alot of changeling stories lately because I like them,
But this is the first that talks about the changelings that survived unscathed from the banishment, and their tale.


You've done me proud.

Short and Sad. A well thought out story, I never thought of changelings having feelings.

Hmm... tis a pity.

And people wonder why i hate the princesses.

Just a suggestion: spellcheck your description several times. Errors in the description turn off picky readers before they even read it.

There are a lot of fics causing bad things to happen to Chrysalis lately...:pinkiesad2:

So while the Queen and her inner circle of soldiers live it up off the love of cute little kittens (Comic Continuity), the civilians starve to death.

While the Queen feasts upon their victim's capacity for love, the civilians are denied the ambient love that the Ponies should have been giving freely.

While the Queen hungers for revenge and conquest, the civilians simply hunger, abandoned and forgotten.

...yeah, you earned your "Sad" tag here. :fluttercry:

TGM

4821644

I've opened the floodgates, it seems. :applecry:

I'm glad that so many of you seam to like it.

I'm trying to wright another sad Fic, but I can't think of who it should be about. I try to avoid the main six my personal rule. Does anypony have a suggestion?

4824480
Something ironic and original.

Things like Pinkie Pie, the princesses, Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon, etc. There all over-written a bit in my book.

Why.. why do i keep getting shot with the feels arrows! this made me sad! good read though

4824480 WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GUT ME RIGHT IN THE FEELS? WRITE A HAPPY ENDING ABOUT THIS PLEASE!!!

5619783
Happy ending aren't really my forte.
So be warned.

5621304 That's cool... I mean... well you know... heh.

5621316
I'm sorry to say, but, after thinking over it, through several days, I've come to the conclusion that this is a story that was meant to end in (hopefully) tears. I don't see any way to re-wright, add on, or edit this sorry to a happy ending without reducing the power of the story itself.

If I find a way to do it, I will. But it's not going to be a problem that I'm working constantly to solve and I don't know when, or if, I'm even going to write it.

Great one-shot, I actually almost teared up a bit. There were some small spelling and grammatical issues, but nothing too bad.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

5920948
I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I'm still looking for more one-shot ideas, if you have any.

Sad :fluttercry: but there is still hope she is still a live some were

5638966
Could make story continuation
Like, changelings are so close to Extinction that they come to Princess Celestia asking for help

Login or register to comment