• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 1,372 Views, 37 Comments

Sisters at Heart - Lunatone



We always tell ourselves to not dwell on the past. But what we do in the past, marks us in the present, and stays with us until we resolve it. And sometimes all we need is a little courage and love to overcome it.

  • ...
5
 37
 1,372

Chapter Ten: The Start of a New Life

Sisters at Heart

Lunatone

Chapter Ten

The Start of a New Life

We were a few kilometres west of Manehtten when the drivers pulled up to the entrance of a motel. The drivers told us that it was time to call it a night, and we would resume our travel in the morning. We were going to Las Pegasus, the place that would be our new home according to Dusty. Either way, as long as it was far away from my father, I couldn’t care less. Vinyl was still in my life, and that was the only thing that mattered right now.

I hopped down the side of the carriage, Dusty and Vinyl following me shortly after. It was night time, and it still rained every now and then. Saliva filled my mouth, and dizziness struck me, both of which were signs that I would soon vomit. I stumbled into a patch of nearby grass and waited for the bile to eject out. When it did, my retching attracted Vinyl and Dusty over to me. I continued like this for at least three more minutes, and I felt the wind, the rain, and Vinyl’s touch.

Collecting myself, I then said, “Just carriage sickness. I’m all right.”

“C’mon, let’s get some rest,” Dusty said, helping me up. “We’ve had a rough day.”

§

It was past midnight, and we were in a motel room that Dusty had paid for. Vinyl was sleeping with me, and Dusty was sleeping in a separate bed. Vinyl was fast asleep, light snores leaving her nostrils. An hour later, and I still couldn’t sleep. I kept worming around as memories of my eleventh birthday sank into my mind. I sat up, placed Vinyl’s hoof to the side. A beam of moonlight shafted through the windowpane.

“I hate you, father. And I’ll never forgive you,” I said to nopony in particular. Vinyl writhed around a bit in her sleep, but she didn’t get up. I was actually hoping Vinyl and Dusty would wake up so they could hear how much I truly hated my father. But neither of them stirred.


I fell back down on my bed, then looked at Vinyl. She was so precious and fragile, and yet so strong. I didn’t know what I would do without her, if that weren’t obvious already. Without her, I would have been living a life of hell under the views of my father; he would have made sure Vinyl and I would never see each other if I hadn’t stood up for myself...and Vinyl was the one who helped me do just that. Now I understood the nature of my curseless life: I was going to be truly happy for once. And my happiness would come from Vinyl.

I thought about the conversation Vinyl and I had, the one about how we would be married and possibly have a family. The thought made me smile.

From that night on, I only allowed happy thoughts in my mind. And that was good.

§

The next morning, we boarded the carriage, one by one. Vinyl sat next to me, and Dusty sat across from us. I heard hooves striking the pavement outside, and the two drivers peered in to see if we were ready to go. Dusty nodded.

When we were on the road, Dusty was telling us about the arrangement in Las Pegasus, and what we should expect when we get there.

“We won’t be living in a grand house like we used to, just so you know,” Dusty said. “But everything will be, okay, I promise.”

I knew everything would be all right. I knew that when we moved into our new place, Vinyl and I would wake up abreast, every morning, without the fear of my father being there; and when we went to bed, she would be by my side, under the blanket, and I would read her a story to help her sleep.

“Where will we be staying, Dad?” Vinyl asked her father.

“I have an apartment in mind. It’s near the downtown line. Not the fanciest of places, but it’s all we’re gonna have until I can get another place.”

“You know, Dusty,” I said, “I can’t be anymore thankful for what you’ve done for me. And Vinyl, of course. But I have to ask: Why didn’t you just leave with Vinyl? I mean, I’m not your daughter, even though I’m like one to you, so I think.”

A sigh escaped from Dusty’s mouth. Then he looked out the window. An open field of crops were dancing in the wind and were set aglow by the sunlight. He looked back at me. “Because, when you lose somepony you truly love and care for, the pain never goes away. I went through that once already with Melody.” He choked back his tears. “Look. I know that you are in love with Vinyl. And that means something to you.

“I wasn’t going to let your father take away the pony you love, because I don’t want to see you endure the pain I did, and I sure as hell didn’t want to see my own daughter suffer because of some idiot who doesn’t understand what love is. I couldn’t live with myself if I knew I could prevent that from happening. So that’s why I wanted to help you, Octavia.”

I didn’t know what to say. But then Vinyl said something. “Dad...that’s super cool of you to do that for her.” She gave him a hug. “You’re the best, Dad.”

At that moment, I had no reason to think over what should be done. I joined Vinyl in giving Dusty a hug, and he too returned one. “I don’t know how to thank you.”

He pulled back. “You don’t have to. You’ve already done just that by making my little filly one of the happiest ponies in the world.”

§

We stopped at another motel come nightfall. We had something to eat and drink in our rooms, and Vinyl and I had some spare time before bed--as the sun was just beginning to disappear below the horizon. There was a tree on a low hill, near the motel, and we climbed it, then sat underneath it. It wasn’t anything like the tree we once had. But that was okay.

Not a single word passed between us; and it wasn’t because we didn’t have anything to say or couldn’t make conversation, but rather because we didn’t have to say anything to one another. A light breeze rippled the cattails below us, and we heard the chirping of birds from amid trees. We shared a kiss in silence, after which we were summoned to bed.

I lay next to Vinyl in the bed, wrapped a hoof around her, then wished her a good night. My eyes closed into the merciful darkness of sleep.