• Published 3rd Aug 2014
  • 2,584 Views, 38 Comments

Tales of Sonata Dusk - Tennis Match Fan



Sonata Dusk tells a bedtime story to her sister, she also has a billion boyfriends, apparently. What other adventures will thid quirky girl get into?

  • ...
10
 38
 2,584

Sonata Dusk Tells a Bedtime Story

11-year-old Sonata Dusk lay on her bed, reading a book she had gotten from the library.

"'And then the good fairy blessed Rosebud with the gift of music,'" she murmured under her breath, eyes scanning each row of words. Thunder rumbled in the distance, but Sonata kept her eyes on the walls of text describing the adventures of Princess Rosebud and her fantastic companions.

"Sonata, can you tell me a bedtime story?" Sonata peeked over the book to see a pale girl with a mess of purple hair standing in the doorway. Her hands were twisting the edge of her nightgown, and her mouth was curved into a worried frown. Sonata swung her legs over so they dangled on the edge of the bed.

"Thunder scaring you?" She asked. Her sister nodded. Sonata smiled gently. "You're only a year younger than me, Mystery. You don't need a bedtime story." Mystery began to speak, but was interrupted by a flash of lightning and thunder outside of Sonata's room.

"Please, Sonata?" Mystery begged, scrambling up next to Sonata and clutching her arm. Sonata chuckled and pried Mystery's fingers off her arm.

"Alright, let me think of one," she agreed, falling back onto her magenta pillows. Mystery did the same. Sonata spread her hands out, as if she was showcasing something.

"Now," she began, "once there was a little girl who lived in magical land. Her best friends were ponies and unicorns and fairies, who also lived with her. The girl went to play with her friends in the fields all day, and it was always sunny!" As she spoke, Sonata acted out the scene with her fingers: one finger was the little girl, and Sonata twirled it around the other fingers to show they were dancing.

"What happened?" Mystery asked. Sonata grinned.

"One day, a bad fairy named, uh, Jewel Dazzle, with a magical red amulet came! She made it so that it rained all the time!" Sonata mimicked falling rain by wiggling her fingers and bringing them gently down. Mystery giggled.

"The girl was at first upset," Sonata continued. "She hopped on a Pegasus and flew up to Jewel Dazzle.

"'Why are you making it rain all the time?' She asked Jewel Dazzle."

"What did Jewel Dazzle look like?" Mystery asked.

"She had long, curly hair!" Sonata replied, thinking of a girl at school that she was beginning to know. "And pink wings that were transparent. Jewel Dazzle had a pretty purple outfit on, and her belt was made of golden diamonds!

"The girl asked why she was making it rain. Jewel Dazzle replied, 'I love the rain, and I want others to like it, too!'

The girl was confused by this. She didn't understand why anybody would love the cold, wet rain." Thunder began to rumble, and rain could be heard patterning on the roof, but Mystery and Sonata paid no attention.

"The girl stayed in her home with her friends and stared out at the rain. As she watched it, the girl realized that maybe there was some beauty in rain. She ran outside and began to splash in the puddles! The girl realized that rain was as much fun as the sun was. She confronted Jewel Dazzle again.

"'Jewel Dazzle!' She exclaimed. 'You're right! The rain is beautiful and fun to play in! But the sunshine is also beautiful and fun! We can't have rain all the time, nor sunshine around the clock!' Jewel pondered this. Then she replied, 'You're right. I'll leave my magic so that it only rains some of the time, and it is sunny the rest of the time!' The girl agreed, so she and Jewel shook hands.

"And so," Sonata finished, "the girl learned not to be afraid of rain, and also thunder and lightning, because it was beautiful!" The two sisters were quiet for a moment.

"I like the brilliant flash of lightning," Mystery admitted. "We're learning about stars in science. It reminds me of when a star dies."

"It does, doesn't it?" Sonata agreed, casting a glance at her orange alarm clock. "Hey, Mystery, it's time to go to bed. You can handle the lightning and thunder now, right?" Mystery nodded and wrapped her arms around Sonata. Sonata hugged her back.

"Sweet dreams," she called as Mystery left her room. Thunder rumbled again, and Sonata smiled. She shut her book and turned her lamp off. It was time for her to get to sleep too.