• Published 31st Jul 2014
  • 505 Views, 10 Comments

The cases of Mystery Mare - Mystery Mare42



the stories of an earth pony detective

  • ...
22
 10
 505

Trip to the West part 4

"Thanks." He grinned and went back into the saloon.Mr. Reihk followed him. I watched for a moment as they went in and decided to go in to speak with the customers. I sat down at a table full of stallions. They were playing cards, I chose to sit by them because Miss Honey said that it some would get their things stolen during while they were being used to bet. I take a look at the current pot, it had several bits, a watch and a gemstone. I kept out my notebook as I was ready to speak with the stallions.

“Do you always play cards at the same place and time?”

A stallion nods as he was dealing the cards. “Yes sweetheart we do.”

I wrote it down. “Have you had anything stolen?”

Another nods. “Yes, I got my watch stolen.”

I nodded, watching them play. “Was it stolen with magic?” They all just shrugged. I watch looking around noticing my brother’s co-worker Mr. Flash as he is going by with Miss Honey. Whatever his investigation was about I knew I needed to speak with him again. I silently tear a piece of paper and write on it telling him to find me in the hotel room. I slip it into his hoof as he goes by. While he leaves a few ponies enter, they obvlious look like tourists with their cameras around their necks and also their several pieces of jewelry. Judging from them I could guess that they were on vacation and seemed mostly like a family. They took a seat at a table. I heard the bell from the clock go off as it became noon. "Noon time, time to see if the thief will try anything." I muttered. I noticed Mr. Reihk glanced at and I look over at him. He nods slightly and looked around, I did the same. I watch as the ponies who just came in had their jewelry taken by a vomit colored magic aura.The jewelry floated off the ponies and disappeared in a flash. I took notes on what happened, I made sure to study all the unicorns to see if the magic had came from one of them. I then walked over to the ponies and get their statements, I then headed over to the bar and ordered a drink. While I was waiting I watched the bartender make my drink, he was a unicorn with a light brown mane, a dark colored fez and his coat was a peach sort of color. He seemed really good at his job. I decide to ask him some questions. “Are you always on shift when the robberies happen?”

He nods. “Mostly but sometimes I’m not and my brother is. If he is then I’m playing cards. I’m Redwood” He finished making my drink and I nodded finishing writing it down. I pretend to take a sip as I see Mr. Reihk exit the saloon. I follow him out.


"I have much info from speaking with the patrons at the saloon and the bartender. “ I told him
"Talk to me." He said as he began walking towards the hotel.

"There is a group of stallions who always play cards at the same time every day, one had his watch stolen but the players said that they weren't sure if it was stolen with magic like the time just now. The bartender is usually there when the things get stolen but sometimes it's his brother. I also think that we should check the train station since this mask pony has been seen there. Maybe we could get more info on him there." I said following him there.

"Alright. First thing tomorrow then." Mr. Reihk said with a smile.

I nodded. "Okay."

Mr. Reihk entered the hotel and began walking up the stairs. "What are you going to do this evening?" He asked her.

"I have a meeting with "Mr.Flash". Right before he left I slipped him a note. " I said as I walked up the stairs.


"Alright. If you need me I'll either be singing with the patrons at he bar or puking my guts out on a curb." he said with a chuckle as he reached his room. "Good night Miss Mare." He said with a courteous nod.

I nodded. "Good night Mr. Reihk." I suddenly remembered something I wanted to ask him. I turn and look at him. "Wait Mr. Reihk I have something to ask you."

Mr. Reihk stopped and looked at me. "Yes?" He asked me that with a smile.

"When we both spoke to Mr. Flash you seemed not to like it when he asked if you were my
current assistant and you then said you work so hard to get in and I just made your house of cards crumble. Could you please explain that to me?" I asked him.

He blinked in surprise. "Wel... you have one good memory... Well, what I meant was that I was trying to stay in cover. But I didn't know he was a fellow detective so I basically made a fool of myself." He said with a shrug.

I nodded understanding now. "He isn't a detective. He said is work is classified, I take it you can use your imagination for what he does. " I start heading to my room.

"Hm..." He remained quiet as he nodded.

"He wants us to leave town, probably so we don't blow his cover or ruin his case. I hope by talking with him he can get me more info about this case, maybe he will work with us." I rolled my eyes. "As much as I hate working with ponies who work with my brother I know when to try to get different pair of eyes here since he has been in town here longer."

"Any way I can help?" He asked.

"No I believe not." I answered.

"Alright then. I'll see you around." He said with a nod before entering his room.

I head into my room slipping off my bags as Nancy walks out of them and sat on my bed. I look over to a chair in the corner and see Mr. Flash sitting there. He held the note I passed to him in the saloon. He smirked. “You wanted to speak with me?”

I nodded. “I know you're not investigating whatever you told my assistant. I know you said it is classified.”

“I told him I work with ponies who are robbing trains, that is my cover story here. He offered to be of some help, thats all. I’m looking into ponies here. Thats all. It will be getting dangerous so you should leave.” He crossed his hooves.

I shook my head. “That will not be happening. I want to know what you think about this case.”

Mr. Flash smiled. “You need to take notice to not just one location the crimes have taken place but others. Find some details in the past thiefs and use your brain Miss Mare. I have my own things to do so maybe I will see you in the morning.” He gets up from the chair and heads to the door. “You're more cuter than your brother gives you credit for, got a stallion? Or mare if you swing that way? Cause if you don’t we could...” He smirked.

I frowned angrily at the comment. “First I do not have a stallion, never had. Second I am not into mares, thirdly I do not believe in having relationships in my kind of work and lastly I suggest you get out of this room before I kick your flack into next week.” He smiles not saying another word and left the room. I lock my door and sit on the bed next to Nancy. I pet her, “Stallions..” She meows and jumps off to my saddlebag and takes my notebook out of it. She held it so cutely in her mouth. She walks it over to me. I take it. “You want me to go over my notes.” She nods and curls back up. I start reading over my interviews with the stallions in the saloon, the bartender, Miss Honey and anypony else I spoke with. I found it interesting that at times magic was used to steal the objects and other times not. I soon set it down and fell asleep.

I got up the next morning and quickly fixed my mane. I leave Nancy some treats in a small bowl promising her I would get her a mouse if I find one. When I exited my room I saw my went to my assistants room but he wasn’t there. I decided to check the saloon remembering he said he would head there. While I was walking I found my assistant passed out on the sidewalk, a mug still attached to his hoof. I go and shake him. "Are you alright good sir?"

He mumbled a few slurred words before sitting up and blinking. "Hwhat?" He said as he looked around. "What happened?"

"My guess you got drunk or something along those lines." I told him.

"Probably." He said as he quickly placed his hoof on his forehead. "Darn... Got a hangover.. just great.." He muttered as he stood up.

"And that reason is why I do not drink on a case. Come now we have places to go and ponies to questions." I said walking.

"Meh. Alright let's go!" He said as he stood up and shook his head. Mr. Reihk began to slowly limp along as he was still dizzy from the hangover.

"Now we will be heading to the train station first since that has also been where the thief has been seen stealing." I replied.

"Alright. Where did you get all this information?" He asked me as he walked along.

I look over to him. "I spoke with the ponies at the saloon and I spoke with Mr. Flash."

"I see." Mr. Reihk said with a nod. "Alright. I'll see you later. No point in going undercover if we're seen together right?" He said as he began to walk away. "See you there~!"

"Well there hasn't been much of a point to go undercover." I chuckled.

Mr. Reihk sighed. "Fiiine!" He said before returning to my side. "Next time we're doing it my way though." He said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "Maybe"

"Yay!" He said with a big grin. While we were heading to the train station I look over my notes just as I did last night in my room. Everypony I talked to mentioned that the items disappeared by magic or they just disappeared. Why would the thief use magic sometimes but not at others. I know I didn’t talk about much with the bartender but from the question I asked him about if he is always on shift when these happened can help me decided to rule him out or not.


I look at Mr. Reihk after I finished looking over my notes.. "If you were this thief what would you do with goods that you have taken."

"Well... I guess I would sell it all. Store the money somewhere safe... And when the heat dies down, slip away and use it to live an awesome new life." He said with a shrug. I nodded thinking about his answer and what the thief could be up to with using the mon ey.We soon get to the train station. I go over to the ticket booth to speak with the stallion there.He had a peach coat, green glasses, a brown mane and he wore a light brown hat. He reminded me of the bartender except that he was an earth pony not a unicorn.

He looked at us and smiled. "Hello I'm Oak. How may I help you?"

"Well then, Mr. Oak, we would like to ask you some questions." Mr. Reihk said with a polite smile. He seemed rather calm and collected but with my skilled eye I could tell his raging headache was driving him mad.

"Sure ask away partner." Mr. Oak smiled.

I nodded and grabbed my pencil out of my bag. "Is it true that the masked pony has been seen here?"

He nods. "Yeah a few times."

"Were there any eyewitnesses around?" Mr. Reihk asked him.

"Yeah a few." He answered.

I nodded. "Can you give me a description?"

Mr. Oak shook his head. "No not really."

Mr. Reihk asked the next question as I was writing. "Hmm... Did you see the masked pony sir?"
"I was cleaning my glasses at the time." He answered.

I nodded writing it down. "Alright."

"Uh.. Ok. Anyone else who might have witnessed the crime?" Mr. Reihk asked.


"Maybe some tourists. " He answered. I nodded writing it down as my assistant asked another question.

"Uh, ok. Do you know of any tourists who are still here?"

"Normally they just go into town or they leave on the train. I don't keep track." He said.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure sir? I would expect that tourists would ask for directions or something?" He didn’t answer my question but he did answer Mr. Reihk’s next one.

"Could you at least point us to the nearest hotels?"He asked with a smile.

"Yeah, they are over there"Mr. Oak answered and pointed.

Mr. Reihk looked at the appointed direction and nodded. "Alright then. Thank you sir." He said with a courteous nod.

"You're welcome." He said.

I nodded. "Mr. Oak, I do have one final question."

He nods adjusting his glasses. "Yes?"

"Do you have any family around here?" I asked.

Mr. Reihk raised a brow and looked at me. "Hm?"

"Of course I do. " He answered. "Lots of families are here."

I nodded and started walking. "Thank you sir."

Reihk approached me as we were now walking. "Why'd you ask that?"

"He looked familiar to me. " I answered not telling him that I thought he looked like the bartender. I knew the bartender had a brother but he said that his brother worked at the saloon too.

"Oh.. Oh ok. It just seemed a little out of place." He said with a shrug.

"Sometimes the most out of place questions can help."

Mr.Reihk chuckled. "Alright." He said as he walked along. "Where to next boss?"

"Hmm. lets head to the saloon for a bit." I said.

"Alrighty then." My assistant said and nodded. I headed to the saloon with him following closely behind., when we get there we take a seat at the bar and went to chatting.
"Maybe the thief will strike today." I said and started thinking if there was a way we could catch him.

"Let's hope we can catch him." Mr.Reihk said as he ordered a drink.

I nod. "Yeah lets hope." The bartender went to making Mr. Reihk’s drink and I noticed he was a different one from the last time we were there. He was a peach colored unicorn stallion with a brown and green mane and he wore a fez. He did look alot like Redwood, the bartender from last night.

I noticed as Mr.Reihk eyed the stallion and smiled before looking at me. “Is there something different about the bartender?"

I open my notebook, flipping through some pages."Must be the brother that bartender last night told me about." I look around and notice a group of stallions playing cards, one of them was the bartender from last night. "And there is the one from last night."

"Oh. Alright." he said as he took his drink.

"Yes, according to my notes usually it is one or the other working here.” I said to him as I was flipping through the pages of my notebook, an idea popped into my head. “ Hmm.. I think I may have an idea where we could go next"

"Throw it at me." The stallion said as he finished his drink with a gulp. "That'll be enough for today." he said with a small burp. "Oh, excuse me."

I looked up from my notebook and at him."I was thinking that since most of the goods stolen have been jewelry, money and such we should try to find some pony with money troubles."

He nods. “That would explain why somepony would steal all that stuff. Hmm.. lets go check the financial records.” I nodded and we both headed to the town records and examining them I found that three ponies we have met all had money troubles. I had a plan to catch the thief. I mentioned my plan to my assistant and head back to the hotel and grabbed Nancy, I went to the general store and was able to find a few fake jewelry. I placed a gem on my cat’s collar to use it as bait and went to the saloon with her. In The saloon Mr. Reihk was sitting on a stool pretending to enjoy a drink, the bartender being the same one from earlier, the one who I believe to be the brother of Redwood. I scan the room seeing a few stallions playing poker, one of which was Mr. Oak, the stallion who works at the train station. I only had to wait a few minutes before a glow wrapped around the fake gem on the collar. “Mr. Reihk now.” I commanded and he headed outside the door and tackled a stallion dressed in black. He brought him back in the saloon.

“Here he is.” He said taking off the black mask the stallion wore, revealing it to be Redwood, the bartender we met the first day here.

“Red?” The current bartender said. “Why would you do this brother?” He spoke sounding surprised but it wasn’t convincing.

I smiled. “Don’t sound so surprised sir. Your brother couldn’t do this alone. He did have help.” I look over to one of the stallions playing cards. “Go get the sheriff for me.”

Mr. Oak stood up. “I can do it.” He was about to leave but I shook my head.

“Not you Mr. Oak.” I said as another stallion goes to get the sheriff. “You were also involved in this.” I waited for the Sheriff to arrive before I started talking. “Now that you are here Sheriff, I’ll explain what is going on. For you see the thief was not one pony but all three of them. If you notice the three ponies all share several things in common, they all have a peach colored fur with a red mane but the only difference is that two are unicorns while Mr. Oak is a earth pony. So I’m guessing that Mr. Oak is a half brother, probably younger and if you think about it they all have similar names. Oak, Redwood, and..” I turn to the bartender who never spoke his name to me or my assistant. “Your name?”
“Cedar.” He answered in a mutter.

“What is the motive Miss Mare?” The sheriff asked me.

“My assistant and I went into the public records and found that your mother is very ill. You probably stole the items and cash to pay the bills.” I answered.

“You got us.” Redwood said. The sheriff took the three stallions away and I went over to the bar and looked at my assistant.

“Good job Mr. Reihk. I might have to bring you along again some other time.” I said and he smiled.

I later went home with Nancy at my side, the case was over and I have more things to do. I have no clue what my next case would be but I hope it will be a challenging one.