• Published 26th Jul 2014
  • 4,543 Views, 78 Comments

It Was Just An Accident - Matt11



On a day like no other Scootaloo would enjoy living with Dash, but after breaking one of her prized positions. She is thrown out, anything would be fine if her parents haven't gone on a business trip for the week.

  • ...
10
 78
 4,543

chapter 2


Scootaloo walked through Ponyville, barely noticing where she was going. She kept stumbling, almost falling over as tears kept forming in her eyes, blurring her vision. She felt moisture on her back, and looked up to see the dark clouds overhead begin unleashing their payload.

The small drops quickly began to increase in number until it began pouring. The filly just looked up towards the sky, barely feeling the cold of the rain as it soaked her orange coat. She began walking again, not ever bothering to hurry her pace toward Fluttershy’s house. Even when she began to shiver from the rain she still didn’t speed up.
When she reached Fluttershy’s cottage she banged on the door a few times. After a few seconds she saw the door open and Fluttershy standing there. “Hello?” Her eyes widened. “Scootaloo! Oh, you poor thing! You’re complete drenched.” Fluttershy grabbed her and picked her up, flying towards her bathroom.

Setting her in the tub she turned on the shower and waiting for the hot water to come on. Scootaloo just said nothing and let Fluttershy do what she wanted. The chill of the water on her coat felt like nothing compared to the chill in her heart.
She let out a small involuntary gasp as she felt the hot water on her body, stilling her tremors as her body heated up.
Fluttershy ran the sprayer over the filly’s coat, saying, “Oh, I’m so sorry you got caught out in the rain, Scootaloo. I guess you didn’t know there was going to be a storm today.” Scootaloo didn’t respond, but Fluttershy didn’t notice much, so focused on trying to prevent Scootaloo from catching a cold or pneumonia.

Feeling the temperature with her hoof she turned up the heat just a little bit, continuing to ran it all over her until she felt satisfied that Scootaloo was okay. She turned the water off and picked the filly up out of the tub, grabbing a towel and lovingly rubbing her dry. Grabbing a second towel she wrapped it around the filly to keep the warmth in she picked Scootaloo up and brought her to her own bedroom. Setting the filly down she went into her closet and pulled out a spare blanket, also wrapping it around Scootaloo. “There we go! Much better. Now you’re all warm and toasty and safe.”

Scootaloo felt tears beginning to form in her eyes. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were complete polar opposites in so many ways. Dash was so brash, bold, outspoken, and blunt. Most of the time Scootaloo loved that about her idol, but not when it was turned on her. Fluttershy on the other hoof was so tender, compassionate, caring, and loving. On normal days it was a bit of a turn off to her, but on days like today she knew exactly where to go to for comforting.
“What’s wrong, Scootaloo?” asked Fluttershy.

Scootaloo closed her eyes hard, shaking her head. She knew Fluttershy would never make fun of her for crying, but she still tried holding on to the pride of her tomboy image. Despite Rainbow likely hating her now she still was striving to be like her. It was a losing battle, however. She didn’t have the strength to fight, seeing Rainbow’s furious expression in her mind, then her distraught one.

Before she broke down she tried to shift her emotions, tried to make it Dash’s fault so she could avoid blame. Sounding angry she said, “It’s that dumb Rainbow Dash!”

“Oh?” she said in a concerned voice. “Did you two have a fight?”
“Yeah! I mean, I know I broke the rules but she didn’t have to get so mad at me! I went into her room because I wanted to know why she was always telling me not to go in there. I knocked over this trophy and broke it. I mean, what’s the big deal? She’s famous! I bet she has a million trophies. What’s the big whoop if one of them breaks?”
Fluttershy nervously asked, “When it broke… did you see gray stuff scatter everywhere?”
Scootaloo laughed. “Yeah. It just shows even more how little she cared for it if she was using a trophy as a stinking TRASH BIN! I mean, how lazy can you get!”

Fluttershy put a hoof on Scootaloo’s face. “Scootaloo. That… wasn’t Rainbow’s trophy.”
Scootaloo’s eyebrow went up. “What do you mean it wasn’t her trophy? It was in HER room! Are you saying she’s a trophy thief?”
“That trophy belonged to her mother. Her mom died about five years ago. She was cremated… and Rainbow had her ashes placed inside the trophy.”

Scootaloo went stone still, her eyes shrinking so much they were nearly invisible. “Please tell me you’re joking.”
“N-no. It’s the truth.”

Her body tensed up, and this time she couldn’t hold back the tears. She began sobbing and wailing. She felt Fluttershy grab onto her, setting the filly on her lap as she cried. Working her hooves out of the blanket she placed them around Fluttershy. Her emotions overflowed as she completely lost it, slamming her hooves repeatedly against Fluttershy’s back.

That explained why Dash had gotten so mad and upset, and it also made it clear to the filly that she was never going to be forgiven. Rainbow would despise her until she died. She couldn’t fix things up or just buy her a new trophy.

Fluttershy rubbed her back, ignoring the little dots of pains as Scootaloo hit her. When Scootaloo’s emotions began ebbing a little Fluttershy began to sing to her. Despite not wanting to be cheered up Fluttershy’s voice was just so calming and loving that she couldn’t help but start settling down. To Scootaloo her tone felt like sitting in a field of flowers under the warm sun. It reminded her of all the love and kindness there was around her. Little by little she began settling down until she had no more tears to cry.
“That’s much better, Scootaloo,” said Fluttershy, still rubbing her back. “You needed a good cry to get out all those negative feelings. Now I want you to listen to me carefully, okay?”

“O-okay,” she responded, sniffing and letting out a heavy breath.

“I know Rainbow Dash really well. Out of us six friends I’ve known her the longest. Rainbow Dash can be rude, crude, cruel, angry, impatient, and forceful. That’s just the way she is. You’d think that someone like us could never be friends with her, but we are. And do you know why? Because she’s loyal to those in trouble. You remember my cutie mark story, don’t you? She stood up for me and was my protector during flight camp.'

She has her faults, as do we all, but her good attributes overwhelm the bad ones. You did something dumb and hurt her deeply. I understand that. But she’ll forgive you with some time.”
“But-”

“Trust me, Scootaloo. Rainbow can be very hotheaded, but she knows what’s really important. She’ll come around. Don’t you think that she considers you more important than those ashes? It’s not as if you did something to actually kill her mother. Her mother was already dead. Keeping the ashes is a useful memorial, but it’s not like she can’t remember her mom without those ashes.”
Fluttershy brought up a good point, but she didn’t want to start hoping. She didn’t want to bank on Rainbow’s forgiveness. Not wanting to move for the moment she kept her head on Fluttershy’s chest, closing her eyes and losing herself in the mare’s reassuring hold. The pitter-patter of the rain and the warmth of the mare’s body lulled her into a state of peace and serenity. She gently nuzzled Fluttershy’s coat, settling into her hold. Sleepiness began overtaking her, and she didn’t bother to fight it. Whether Rainbow would forgive her or not, for the moment she was content.

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank Never2muchpinkie for helping on the chapters I take no credit for this chapter