• Published 20th Jul 2014
  • 1,799 Views, 25 Comments

The Light of the four - hoodedfigurine



Nobody knew what had happened. All we know with princesses gone no one is around to maintain harmony that is until one dragon and a certain draconequus has had enough!

  • ...
1
 25
 1,799

Chapter Seven - A Dream of Bittersweet

It was nearing sundown when the scaly figure began tossing and turning underneath the crystal lined silk sheets, being inside the royal circle certainly had its perks.

"Urgh!" The dragon groaned, he couldn't suppress this letter for a few more winks of shut-eye, "Fine!" he grumbled throwing off the sheets, "Twilight! you've BLERCH! Got mail," Spike shouted out as green fire protruded from his snout materializing a large scroll into the air. "Odd," thought Spike, "This bears the seals of the sisters, but also a second seal bound in green and gold," curiosity taking the better of him Spike went for a closer look, grabbing the letter firmly out of the air.

"ARGH!" Spike yelled a stinging pain shooting through his claw as he touched the seal, causing his grip to slip sending the scroll rolling across the floor. Bright letters seared onto the rolled up paper, cautiously drawing closer Spike could make out the incandescent writing, "For Princess Sparkles eyes only, Urgent!"

"Twilight! The letter, it's urgent," Spike shouted down the stairs again, a few minutes passed without answer before Spike worked up the courage to try the letter again, this time avoiding the seal completely Spike carefully tucked the scroll under his arm setting off to the main library, no doubt you could find Twilight there at most times of day, and night for that matter.

Rounding the corner Spike found his prey perched on the purple plush cushions made only days ago by Rarity matching her mane flawlessly.
"You know I'm fine with you and the princesses using me as a personal mail bag, even when I'm slumbering, but I draw the line when what comes out of me starts to fight back," Spike sassed still wiping sleep out of his eyes.

"Uh-huh," Twilight replied without even looking.

Staring dumbfounded at Twilight due to her lack of interest Spike persisted, "I said you have a letter and it's urgent!" Spike insisted waving the scroll in Twilight's face through the mound of charts and books sprawled as far as the eyes could see.

"Oh, a letter from the princess, why didn't you say so, Spike?" Twilight acknowledged, taking the letter from Spike while he tilted his head staring at her dumbfoundedly. "I'm sorry Spike, thank you for bringing this to me, I've just been bogged down tracking the comet's position for tonight's carnival, sorry if it woke you up I know you didn't want to miss any of tonight."

"Yeah well bit late for that," grumbled Spike, bad things follow when you wake dragons up before they are ready, "Oh be careful with that seal, blooming thing stung me when I touched it," wanting only to get back to sleep Spike turned to head back up to his bedchambers.

"How strange I will have to ask why the princess would use such precautions unless Pinkie is teaching Luna pranks again," Twilight shuddered remembering what happened last time those two got together.

"Well get back to me on that, I'm going back to b..." Spike managed to get out before getting cut off.

"King Aspen's seal!" Exclaimed Twilight, "I do hope the Thicket is okay, I didn't expect to get word from such a recluse." Twilight pondered breaking both seals.

Moments passed as Twilight's eyes traced the scroll back and forth expressionless, rolling the scroll back up Twilight began rushing around collecting odd bits and bobs, shoving them into a rucksack now slung over her flank. "I'm sorry, but I have to go, Spike, I will be back before the moon has even risen, then we will watch the skies together okay? Hold the fort till I'm back will you Spike?" Twilight asked leaping down to the throne room wings spread.

"Wait, what? Where are you going?" Yelled Spike shocked at the sudden turn of events, it was most out of character for Twilight to jump at things at sudden notice. Bursting through the doors out onto the balcony only to just catch a glimpse of the purple princess galloping away into the rain, "Wait! where are you going!" Spike yelled again. Silence followed for what seemed like an eternity as the pattering of rain ran down his scales, exhaling Spike leant on the balcony, "You know the moon never did rise that night," Spike jived calmly.

"Most ponies don't achieve lucidity before thy have made thy presence known Spike," a familiar voice appeared from the shadows.

"I am not a pony, Luna," Spike turned facing the maiden of the night.

"Do thee blame thy for being indisposed so that the moon did not rise that evening?" Luna questioned.

"No," Spike replied softly stifling a laugh, "It's funny, it always rains on sad days, Twilight was so mad at Rainbow Dash for just snoozing in the clouds all day and not clearing the skies for the Starlight carnival that night, but I knew she would get it done before all the festivities began," Spike chuckled, "I was looking forward to seeing the comet, I had never seen one before but Twilight described her experience from memory of being a foal and with your return it was set to be just beautiful, perhaps it was my last chance to see one?."

"Yes, tis a pity Equestria was robbed of such beauty that night," Luna marveled, revealing the night sky above them to a truly majestic sight," It seems so hollow now with only thee to observe, tell me, if you knew this was a dream all along why did you not make question the dreamscape till now?"

"And deny myself of this bliss? no, I wouldn't, I couldn't change it! To see her face just once more, to pretend it is all okay, wouldn't you do the same?" Spike choked, tears welling in his eyes. "Why? Why did you show me this?"

"Because it is what thou needed to see, one forgets thy knows how being alone feels and no one should ever be alone," Luna answered, "But you are not alone Spike the dragon prince, you never have been alone, we have been watching over you as far as we can and even now a certain draconequus is watching the shadows while thee slumber, never loose grasp of what thou are fighting for, the ones we love."

"Discord? Why would he waste energy on me?" Spike disagreed wiping his eyes.

"Why thou say? Because deep down in that chaotic body of his there is a draconequus that cares though rarely thee shows it." Luna replied softly, "You must learn to trust him to do the right thing as I have, sigh, tis nearing dawn in the waking world if thee can call it dawn and you are nearing thy resting place hence why thy have expended great strength to contact thee, thy cannot see much outside my domain but thy knows griffins when thy sees them, but beware a dark presence lingers watching, waiting to strike, thy is unable to predict it's intentions, be careful!" Luna warned sternly.

"How admirable," A twisted sickly voice penetrated the surroundings drawing the colour from Luna's cheeks, "The princess giving all of her strength for just a confidence boost."

"Begone!" Luna shouted at full volume springing to a defensive pose her horn illuminating, "You have no power here! Faithless! Accursed!"

"You underestimate me," The voice continued whilst it's form swirled black mist across the balcony, "While I have thoroughly enjoyed your little pep talk you have revealed your whereabouts, rest assured my agents are on the way, your secret is forfeit!"

"Spike!" Luna turned, panic struck on her face, "Thou must wake up now! I can't hold it off for long," Striking Spike across the face she repeated, "Find my resting place, then the rest of us! Now wake up!"

"It is too late my dear!" The black vortex bellowed reaching out at Luna striking her down despite her best defences, then turning to face Spike "And as for you my little dragon friend you best hurry if you wish to save the darling princess here! But know this, is it worth saving her, the liar, for you truly are alone child, there is only darkness for you, only death for everything you hold dear, I will sail a terrible army across these lands, sail until every light, every last bastion of hope has been extinguished, you are strong but I am beyond strength, I am the end of all things and I have come for you!"

The Vortex whipped around Spike blasting him with unprecedented force, ripping through his scales and shattering the crystal balcony sending it and Spike tumbling down into the abyss below.

"The would be dragon king, Pathetic!" The last words Spike heard stalked him in the blackness, piercing his soul like venom draining his life

Agony was the only thought, "AAAAGGGHHHH!" Spike screamed out sitting bolt upright.

"Whoa! Whats wrong Spike?," Discord gasped, shocked at the sudden screech.

"Hi there! how yah doing my name is..." A third voice came from the edge of the enclave as a medium sized figure pulled himself up into the crevice.

"AHHHH!" This time both Spike and Discord yelled in shock facing the intruder.

Author's Note:

Yes I know its been a while, I have been very busy with uni work just haven't had time to update this, but I hope this little chapter will give you something to ponder about till I next get time to write, enjoy!

Hooded