• Published 20th Jul 2014
  • 1,801 Views, 25 Comments

The Light of the four - hoodedfigurine



Nobody knew what had happened. All we know with princesses gone no one is around to maintain harmony that is until one dragon and a certain draconequus has had enough!

  • ...
1
 25
 1,801

Chapter One - The Medallion

Chapter 1 – The Medallion

“So you’re really going then?” Shining’s weary and worn eyes were met with the gaze of indifference he was accustomed to. “Look I miss them too but, do you even know where to begin? You and I have both searched across Equestria for clues and found nothing, and what of the ponies they need their leader, they lo…”, his voice trailed off with the rise of a claw.

“Brother, calm yourself,” the voice was stern but not harsh, “Things have changed, I have found something, new.” The pony’s eyes went wide; the dragon knew he had his attention.

Spike took out a small pyramid shaped idol, looped at the top, a thin chain of gold dangled freely, there was only one creature that could claim to own such a unique piece of jewellery.

“Discord!” Shining spat out the words, “Where on Equestria did you find that?”

Spikes stance shrunk a little, “I often visit the ruins of Ponyville, although the Everfree overtook much that remains and now the forest itself is silent, the thrones of friendship stand strong against the corruption, it is there I spend what time I can spare and it is there on Fluttershy’s throne I found it.”

“But why now?” Puzzled, Shining continued “What’s changed?”

“I do not know, but I believe it has something to do with this,” Spike rotated the medallion, revealing deep scratches on the back that plainly read “I’m sorry.”

The silence was broken by Shining, “So he admits it, he had something to do with all of this, I knew it, you don’t just disappear only a day after the end, his guilt it written ri…”

Again Shining was cut off, “Do not be so rash, if I remember correctly he collapsed before both of us battered and bruised in this very throne room, you said yourself we know next to nothing on what happened.”

“But that’s exactly it, he said nothing of what happened and then vanished after only basic medical tr…”

“He was clearly very distressed, that’s not like him at all, look I know it’s suspicious but he is clearly reaching out, this wasn't left on the throne for any old reason, if he can offer any explanation we owe it to everypony to hear him out!” Spike interjected jiggling the medallion in his claws.

“Hmm I don’t like it” Shining grumbled, “But I do not see this situation getting better with time unless something is done, nor do I have the luxury of time to spare, I must go to the armoury, volunteers need orders and the empire needs its prince, the crystal heart is only as strong as its people, it will need all the strength we can muster for the influx of refugees.”

Spike gave an understanding nod.

Shining Amour spoke again, “Where will you go first? Discord could be anywhere, how will you find him?”

“I felt a presence when I touched the idol at the thrones of friendship, I have a feeling if I return there, he will find me.” Shining found the confidence in Spikes's voice invigorating, it had been a long time since his brother had hope.

“Take care of yourself little brother, you’re still young for a dragon and the land is fraught with danger even for you,” raising his hoof Shining hugged Spike and to his surprise Spike returned the embrace.

“And you take care of everypony else” Spike smiled enjoying the moment.

Breaking away Shining took a glance at the poorly lit throne room, at the back jagged cracks split the four thrones in half. Dust and rubble littered the ground, but despite the symbolic devastation one stained glass window remained intact, it depicted Discord at his highest moment, with Celestia in his shadow shielding the princess from certain harm.

"Perhaps I shouldn't be so dismissive of Discord," Shining thought to himself.

Returning his gaze back to the dragon Shining turned and departed through the large double doors leaving Spike with the words, “I hope you prove me wrong about Discord," He paused for a moment, “I will save all I can, good luck finding what you seek.”

“So do I,” Spike muttered under his breath, and with that Spike took wing bursting through a broken window pane into the wild blue yonder, setting his sights on Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Well that's the first chapter done, I know its a bit short but I plan for the others to be longer, thanks for reading!