• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 983 Views, 16 Comments

The Ponyville Sluggers - Master_Twig



Rainbow Dash wants to join the local amatuer baseball team. She finds out soon she may not just be helping the team win, but saving it.

  • ...
0
 16
 983

Chapter 6: A Royal Pain

Applejack wiped the sweat from her brow. She looked to Big Macintosh, nodding that she was ready. A tall, muscular stallion stepped up to the plate, readying his bat. She swallowed hard, trying to push aside the pressure of the situation. It was the home opener, and she had pitched the entire game. It didn’t help that pretty much everypony in town was watching her.

Pinkie's voice blaring over the speakers reminding her of the details didn’t help much.

“This could be it! Top of the ninth inning with just one out left to go! The Tornadoes are up by just ONE run, but the Baltimare Giants have runners on second and third. Three balls and two strikes. This could be it! Can Applejack do it?”

Applejack focused and muttered quietly to herself. “Yes I can.” She reared up and let the ball fly, bucking it as hard as she could.

The crowd was silenced by a thunderous crack. Applejack visibly winced and could only watch as the ball flew over center field. Every eye in the park was fixed on the ball.

Nopony was more focused on the ball than Rainbow Dash. She moved slowly backwards onto the warning track, making quick note of the location of the wall behind her. The ball got ever closer. She couldn’t use her wings, but it was going to clear the fence. She had to jump. Dash bent her legs then leapt as high as she could into the air. She extended out her hoof, stretching her foreleg to the limit.

Dash bounced off the wall and fell to the ground. She rolled and stood up, shaking off the impact. When she came to her senses, she proudly raised her glove, showing off the ball to the park.

A roar of cheers erupted across the stadium, drowning out even Pinkie's amplified voice. The Tornadoes all ran to the center of the infield, cheering and hugging. Applejack was tackled by Rainbow Dash, who finally being allowed to use her wings, had blasted towards her at full speed.

The two laughed as they rolled along the ground in a tight hug.

“You did it Applejack!” said Dash ecstatically.

“No. You did it! What a catch!”

Twilight flopped onto them, joining in the hug. “We all did it!”

Moonshot stood over them. “Heck of a game. I’m so proud of all of you.”

The Tornadoes continued to celebrate with each other as they headed into the locker room. Pinkie watched them happily then leaned into the microphone. “What a game! Thanks for coming down to Ponyville Park everypony! There’s still plenty of snacks for sale, so grab a treat on your way out! And don’t forget to stop at the gift shop! Show your support for the team and buy some authentic Ponyville Tornadoes merchandise, like a team jersey or Ponyville Slugger bat! Stick around because the team will be coming out for a meet and greet!”

Spike leaned in and turned off the microphone. “Think you’re pushing the sales a bit hard there Pinkie?”

“Nah. These ponies love a good pitch. That’s why they’re at a baseball game!”

Spike groaned and banged his head on the counter. He finally sat up and looked out at the field. “Well, I think that went pretty well. The place was packed, it was a close game, and we won! Now it’s time to party!”

“Woo hoo! Party time!” Pinkie put a hoof up to her chin thoughtfully. “I wonder if I can get Applejack’s autograph on a baseball. She was so awesome out there!”

“Pinkie, Applejack is one of your best friends. Why do you want her autograph?”

Pinkie rubbed Spike’s head. “Duh. So I can display it on the mantle.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Right. I’m out of here.”

The two of them headed down to the plaza. Several hundred ponies were hanging around, and quite a long line had formed at the merchandise booth.

The locker room door flew open and Rainbow Dash was the first one out. She jumped right into the crowd, ready to soak in the attention. The festivities continued on for at least an hour, with each member of the team signing at least a few autographs and posing for several pictures.

Moonshot was beside herself. She hadn’t seen so much support for the Tornadoes before. Everypony was smiling and laughing. Pinkie saw to it that the after-game meet and greet turned into the best party Moonshot could ever remember attending. If she hadn’t been so full of hope for the future, she wouldn’t have wanted the night to end.

------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks later, there was only one game left before the mid-season break. Moonshot sat in the Ponyville Park office, going over the team numbers.

She let out a heavy sigh. The team had a 7 – 7 record, with six of their seven wins coming at home. They were up against the Royals today. The Royals had a 10 – 4 record and were currently winning in the division. If the Tornadoes could win today they would only be 2 games down. Lose and they faced a much larger hill to climb if they wanted to make the playoffs.

A knock came at the door. Moonshot looked up at it. “Come in.”

The door opened and Rainbow Dash walked in. “Hey Moonshot.”

“Hey Dash. What are you doing here so early?”

“Honestly? I had nothing better to do. Aaand, after our loss last night I figured you probably could use some company.”

“Ugh. We blew a five run lead. Worst loss of the season.”

“Worse than when we got shut out six to nothing against Fillydelphia?”

“No. At least we got some runs on the board last night.” Moonshot sighed. “We really need to beat the Royals today.

Rainbow Dash put her hooves together firmly. “We beat them last time. You remember the look on Winning Streak’s face when Big Macintosh hit that grand slam?”

“Oh yes I do. That was sweet.” Moonshot said with a chuckle.

“We’re getting better too. Heck, Twilight has even started hitting pretty well.”

Moonshot looked down at her papers. “Yes, but her average is only up to .205.”

“But she walks a lot. What’s her on base percentage?”

“Still only a .312. You on the other hand have an OBP of .450. Plus, Twilight has only one RBI.”

“So what? Are you going to bench her and put Lucky on first?”

“Oh definitely not. The only pony who’s been slipping lately is Cloudchaser. I’m starting Blossomforth in right field tonight.”

“Whatever. Just pitch it so I have a few easy fly ball catches.”

“I prefer grounders and strike-outs. You know that. Anyway, did you see Clipper on your way in?”

“Yeah. Him and Applejack are on the field getting it ready for tonight.”

Moonshot trotted over to the window and looked out. The two of them were in the outfield. Clipper had the push mower out, but him and Applejack were standing and talking. About what, Moonshot couldn’t tell.

Applejack patted Clipper on the back. “You just need to go for it. You don’t know till you try.”

Clipper lowered his head. “I just don’t think she likes me that way. She deserves better than me.”

Applejack got right up to Clipper’s face. “Don’t you dare say that again Sugarcube. Moonshot would be lucky to have you. You just gotta let her know how you feel.”

“You really think she’ll say yes?” Clipper said while raising his head.

“Well, I can’t promise, but heck, at least you’ll know. Heck, I’ll even put in a good word for ya. After all, you have been doing a fantastic job on the farm.”

“Thanks Applejack. You’re a good friend.”

She put a leg around him. “You too. I’m really glad you offered to help. I wasn’t sure at first if joining the team was the right thing to do, but I’m really glad I did. It’s all thanks to you.”

“Excuse me.” A mare’s voice came from behind them. They both turned to see Winning Streak standing right behind them. “I need to get into the visitor’s locker room and it’s locked. You have the key right?”

Clipper nodded, pulling himself away from Applejack. “Yes Ma’am. I’ll let you in.”

Clipper trotted past Winning Streak, heading towards the visitor’s locker room. Winning Streak and Applejack locked eyes. Both narrowed their eyes at each other. The last time the two teams met, Applejack pitched a solid game, only giving up three hits and shutting them out. This was enough for Winning Streak to not like Applejack. Applejack on the other hand had heard enough from Moonshot to not trust Winning Streak.

Winning Streak broke the stare with a smirk and a light chuckle, before turning and following Clipper.

Applejack raised a curious eyebrow as she watched the two of them walk away. She sighed and grabbed the mower, aiming to finish trimming the outfield.

Winning Streak trotted up right next to Clipper. “I must say, this park always looks fantastic. How do you do it?”

Clipper looked over at her apprehensively. “Thank you. I work really hard at it.”

“We could really use a pony like you up in Canterlot. I have three ponies that do the work you seem to do by yourself.”

Clipper turned his nose up. “Not interested. I want to stay here.”

Winning Streak leaned in with a smile. “Because of Moonshot right?”

Clipper narrowed his eyes at her. “Not that it’s your business, but yes.”

“Hey, I’ll admit. Moonshot and I don’t get along, but you’re different. I like you.”

“That’s nice. Feeling’s not mutual.”

Winning Streak put up a hoof defensively. “Hey. I’m not as bad as Moonshot says I am. I work hard and I care about my team and everypony that helps us out. And seeing a situation like your’s just concerns me.”

Clipper stopped and turned to her. “What situation?”

“When a pony is clearly taking advantage of another. ”

“I am not being taken advantage of.”

Winning Streak shook her head. “You may think you’re not, but I’ve seen it before. You have feelings for Moonshot. But honey, she doesn’t feel that way about you. She’s into the manager of the Rangers, Flint Bolt. I’ve seen it. She’s just stringing you along, letting you do all the hard work for her, letting you think that you actually matter to her. She’s using you. And if I overheard correctly, she even has you doing double work at the apple farm? That’s just not right.”

Clipper stared at her, not sure how to respond. Wordlessly, he turned and trotted faster to the locker room. He unlocked it and opened the door forcefully. “Here. It’s unlocked.”

Winning Streak walked past him casually. “Thank you dear. Don’t forget what I said.”

“I won’t.” Clipper said dryly as he closed the door firmly behind her.

-----------------------------------------------------

Rarity trotted up to the merchandise stand, a small cart full of goods behind her. “Good afternoon Moonshot.”

Moonshot turned. “Hi Rarity. More merchandise?”

“Finished them up last night. Where do you want them?”

“Right next to the box full of your last delivery.”

Rarity looked at the box full of jerseys. “Oh dear. I take it those haven’t been selling that well?”

“They’ve been selling okay. Better than any past seasons, but still well behind what we predicted. I may have to cancel a few orders.”

“You think the price is too high?”

“Maybe. We’re doing a buy one, get one half-off deal tonight.”

Rarity looked over the booth. “Which jerseys are selling the best?”

“The un-named ones are doing the best. But Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Twilight’s jerseys are doing the best of the named ones.”

“Not yours?”

Moonshot shrugged. “A few, but Applejack usually pitches at home. The local ponies haven’t really seen me play that much. Though I’ll be starting tonight.”

“We could have Pinkie make sure to praise you a little extra.” Said Rarity with a wink.

“No, I’d rather do that on my own. Besides, I care more about winning than being a star,” Moonshot said while opening a box of baseballs to put on the display.

“The two go hand in hand when it comes to sports, does it not?” Rarity began to help put out the merchandise with Moonshot.

“Pretty much. So, you and the rest of the Pony Tones ready to perform the anthem tonight?”

“Oh yes. I’m rather looking forward to it.”

Moonshot smiled. “Glad to hear it. It was awfully nice of you to offer to perform.”

“It was Big Macintosh’s idea.”

Moonshot put the last of the boxes into place. “Not surprising. Well, thanks for your help. I guess I’ll see you later.”

“Do have a good afternoon.”

Moonshot turned to head off back towards her office. “Thanks, you too.” She reached the office and opened up the door and trotted over to her desk. It was study time. She had Twilight take notes on the Royals players the last time they played and if she could find any weakness, she was going to exploit it.

Moonshot was deep into the creation of her game-plan. She was so focused she didn’t even hear the door open.

“Um. Moonshot.” Clipper’s voice came from in front of her.

She looked up, then smiled. “Hey Clipper. Done preparing the park already?”

“Yeah. It’s all done. Applejack helped so it went fast.”

“Great work. You can have the rest of the day off. Relax a little. You’ve earned it.”

Clipper gulped hard. “Thanks. But uh, there’s something else I wanted to talk to you about.”

Moonshot cocked her head to the side a bit. “Really? Alright, what’s up?”

“Well, we’ve worked together for a few years now, and we’ve been through a lot. I guess I just want to know…” he took a deep breath. “What exactly do I mean to you?”

Moonshot hesitated for a second, not sure what he meant. “Um. Well, you mean a lot to me. You’ve been here for me when I’ve needed you. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“And is that all? Did you ever think it could be something more?”

Moonshot quickly pieced together what he was asking. She had her suspicions for a while, but had pushed them aside. She never really saw Clipper as anything more than a friend. “Are you really asking me this right now? Right before a game?”

Clipper looked her straight in the eye. “Please Moonshot. I need to know.”

“Clipper. I’m sorry. You are really important to me, just not in that way.”

Clipper stepped towards her. “Why not? After all I’ve done for you, you don’t feel anything for me?”

Moonshot shook her head. “I have a lot to deal with right now. I don’t have time for romance.”

“Not what I heard! I know about you and Flint Bolt.”

Moonshot’s eyes went wide. “What? Who told you that? Was it Cloudchaser?”

“It doesn’t matter who told me. Is it true?”

“No! I told you, I’m not interested in dating anyone right now. Flint and I are just friends.”

“I don’t believe you. You always knew I liked you, but you’ve just led me on and used me.” Tears were forming in his eyes.

“How can you say that? I have never used anypony. I brought you in. I gave you a good job and I paid you out of my own pocket. I sold my house so that I could keep paying you what you were worth.” Her voice got louder. “How dare you say that I used you.”

Clipper’s head lowered and his ears drooped. “I…” he looked up at her. “I don’t think I can work here anymore. I don’t think I could take it.” He turned and opened the door, leaving in haste and slamming the door behind him.

“Clipper…” She stepped out from behind her desk and tried to follow him, but by the time she got the door open again, he was gone.

--------------------------------------------

Moonshot stood on the mound. It was time to start the game. The last few hours were a blur. She didn’t tell anypony what happened with Clipper, but her teammates could tell something was up. The pre-game festivities had gone well. The attendance was pretty good, the merchandise sale seemed to be driving some business, and the Pony Tones did a great job getting the crowd into it. Now it was time for Moonshot to pitch a solid game.

The first batter stepped up to the plate. Moonshot gave Big Macintosh a nod and sent out her first pitch. It was a ball, wide and low. Moonshot tossed out the second pitch. This one hitting the dirt just before the plate. Moonshot took a deep breath. She took the ball and sent her third pitch.

The ball sailed right over Moonshot’s head, landing just beyond second base and rolling into center field. Rainbow Dash got the ball back in quickly, but it was too late and the Royals had a lead-off single.

“Just a single. You can do this Moonshot.” She muttered to herself.

The second batter stepped up. She let out her first pitch. The batter swung and missed. The crowd gave a cheer, happy to finally see a strike. The second pitch was inside and called a ball. Pitch three was high, just on the corner. The batter started a swing, but pulled it back just in time to get himself a ball. The next two pitches made contact, but flew harmlessly into foul territory. Moonshot missed again, filling up the count.

Moonshot focused hard. She reared up and sent down a fastball. The ball hit Big Macintosh’s glove with a thud.

The batter tossed his bat aside and started trotting towards first as the walk was called.

Moonshot sighed and repositioned herself for the next batter, the Royal’s best hitter, a stallion with mushroom grey fur and a golden mane. She had to get him out, but she wasn’t going to give him anything he could hit out of the park.

Moonshot got the ball in hoof. She stared down the batter and inhaled deeply. She sent out her pitch.

He tried to pull back, but her fastball came in too quickly and hit him right in the shoulder. He winced back in pain, but remained standing and tossed his bat aside. The umpire pointed to first and directed him to take his base.

Twilight called to the umpire for a time-out. She jogged quickly over to Moonshot. “Hey, are you alright?”

Moonshot didn’t even look at Twilight. “I’m okay. Just having a rough start. I got this.”

“Really? Because you seem distracted.”

“I’m fine. I can get out of this.” She finally looked over at Twilight. “Trust me. I’m okay.”

Twilight cocked her head to the side, not believing her, but deciding to trust her. “Okay. Get em out. You can do it.”

“Thanks.”

Twilight headed back to first. Moonshot got the ball back and the game resumed. She was determined to strike this next batter out.

It only took three pitches. Not for a strike-out, but for the batter to give the ball a firm wallop. The ball sailed to the outfield, landing in the grass between Blossomforth and Rainbow Dash. Dash scooped up the ball and sent it sailing back towards the infield.

All of the batters had taken off immediately. The front two runners scored easily. The third baserunner rounded third and was going for home. Caramel caught Dash’s toss and relayed it quickly to Big Macintosh. Big Mach caught the ball and swiped down just in time.

The tag was made and the runner was called out. Still, it was too little too late. The batter had reached second and two runs had scored.

Moonshot gritted her teeth. The frustration inside her was only building. She called for the ball, just wanting to get the inning over.

For a second she thought she had regained her composure. The first two pitches were both strikes. The third pitch however was way out and low. It skidded off the dirt and out of Big Mac’s reach. It flew back to the backstop. The baserunner jogged easily over to third.

Moonshot reset and tossed out the fourth pitch. The batter made firm contact and the ball flew up towards right field. It was high and had no chance of going out. Blossomforth positioned herself under it and easily made the catch. As soon as she caught it she launched it back towards home plate.

It was too late. The runner had held back on third and had plenty of time to get home. The sac fly was complete and the Tornadoes were down three to nothing.

Moonshot looked over at Twilight, who returned a concerned gaze. Moonshot shook her head, then turned back to face the next batter. Twilight just sighed.

The next batter gave Moonshot some relief. On the first pitch, the ball rolled right towards first base. Twilight dashed forward, scooped it up, and easily tagged out the runner. The top of the inning was over and the Tornadoes were finally up to bat.

Moonshot sat down on the bench, staring out at the field at nothing in particular.

Twilight sat next to her. “What’s going on Moonshot? I’ve never seen you pitch so sloppy.”

“Me neither. It was just one rough inning. I’ll get into my groove.”

Twilight smiled at her. “I’m sure you will. It’s only three runs. We’ll win this one.”

The two sat back as the Royals pitcher had the opposite inning that Moonshot had. Throwing only 10 pitches, he had a 1-2-3 inning and the Tornadoes were back on the field. Moonshot groaned and got up, grabbing her glove and heading out to the mound.

Moonshot readied herself. The Royals were at three runs and she intended to keep it that way.

The first batter came up and on the second pitch, shattered Moonshot’s hopes of a scoreless inning. The ball cleared the right field fence by at least 40 feet.

The rest of the inning was a struggle. After giving up a walk and three hits for two more runs, Moonshot finally got the third out, but only thanks to a great diving catch by Maud.

The Tornadoes got a run back in the bottom of the inning. Pinkie did her best to boost the spirits of the crowd, but even her enthusiasm couldn't stop the yawns and disappointed muttering from the fans.

The third, fourth and fifth innings were a blur. By the time the top of the fifth inning was over the Tornadoes found themselves down 11 to 2. She closed out the top of the fifth on another fly ball out that had nearly left the park. Moonshot walked back into the dugout and bucked a beverage table in frustration, sending several cups of water splashing onto Fluttershy. Moonshot sat down on the end of the bench, fuming.

Rainbow Dash stormed up to her. “Hey! What is wrong with you?”

Moonshot turned to Rainbow Dash, staring daggers at her. “Nothing! I’m fine.”

Twilight trotted up right next to Dash. “No you’re not. You are not the Moonshot we know.”

Moonshot looked between the two of them, trying to stay in control. She looked them deeply in the eyes. “I… I mean. I’m…” She couldn’t hold it in anymore and collapsed onto Rainbow Dash, bursting into tears.

Twilight patted her gently on the back. “Hey. It’s alright. It’s just a game.”

Moonshot composed herself just enough to talk. “No. It’s not that. Clipper quit. He’s gone.”

Those on the team that overheard were stunned. Applejack ran up quickly. “What did you just say?”

Moonshot let go of Rainbow Dash. “Clipper. He said he can’t work for us anymore.”

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyebrows. “What? Why the hay not?”

Moonshot wiped her eyes. “Because… I can’t say right now. But… I can’t do this right now. I’m sorry, I never should have started the game. Applejack, can you play?”

Applejack shook her head. “I’m still a bit sore from the last game. I could if I really needed to.”

“Fine. Put Lucky in next inning. I’m done. Twilight, you manage the rest of the game. I can’t focus on this right now.”

Twilight nodded. “We’ll do our best.”

“Thanks.” Moonshot stood up and started towards the locker room. “I’m sorry everyone.”

The team let her leave in silence. They turned their attention back to the game. Once the bottom of the inning was over, Lucky took the mound, and to the surprise of the team, pitched four really solid innings. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough and Tornadoes couldn’t put up the offense needed.

As the final out was recorded, Pinkie announced to a mostly empty ballpark that the Tornadoes had lost 12 to 6.

Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Twilight were the first ones into the locker room. They looked around, but Moonshot had left. They quickly changed out of their uniforms then headed out to find their manager.

They headed right to the park office. They headed in and towards the back room. The door was closed, but they could see light coming from underneath it. The three nodded to each other. Applejack walked up to the door and gave it a light knock. “Moonshot?”

There was no response.

Applejack knocked a bit harder. “You in there? Come on, we need to talk.”

They heard the door unlock and the door opened a crack. Moonshot was there, the fur around her eyes wet from tears. “Fine.” She stepped out into the main office and closed the door behind her.

“Are you alright?” asked Twilight.

“Not really. I don’t know what I’m going to do. We don’t have a groundskeeper, and with him gone there’s nobody to tend the farm, so we lose Applejack too.”

Applejack shook her head. “That’s not gonna happen. I’m a part of this team, Clipper or no Clipper. Besides, he made a deal with me and I ain’t about to let him back out on it.”

Rainbow Dash nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah. We’re a team. We’ll stick together no matter what.”

“She’s right, we’re here for you til the end.” Said Twilight.

Moonshot sniffed and wiped her eye. “Thanks. You’re all such great friends. Still… “

“Yeah. Why did Clipper leave?” asked Rainbow Dash bluntly.

Moonshot sighed heavily. “He came up to me all of a sudden and asked me out. I think I knew he liked me for a while, but he just up and came out with it. I… rejected him. I just don’t feel that way about him. But then he accused me of leading him on and said I was using him.”

Applejack’s eyes shifted. “Um… I may be a bit at fault here. He told me how he felt… and uh. I told him to ask you out.”

Moonshot stared at Applejack. “You did?”

“I didn’t think he would do it so soon! I especially didn’t think he’d ask right before a game!” She put up a hoof defensively. “And I definitely didn’t imply that you owed him anything.”

“Did you mention Flint Bolt?”

Applejack looked puzzled. “Flint Bolt? The Rangers manager? No. Why bring him up?”

Moonshot sighed. “I told Clipper I wasn’t interested in a relationship right now. Which is true. He said that somepony told him I was involved with Flint Bolt.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Who would tell him that?”

“I think it was Cloudchaser. She saw me and him hugging and I think she assumed there was something more going on.”

“Is there?” Asked Rainbow Dash.

“No!” said Moonshot defensively.

Applejack put a hoof up to her chin thoughtfully. “I’m not sure it was Cloudchaser.”

Moonshot turned to her. “Who then?”

“I think it was Winning Streak. She overheard me saying that I couldn’t be on the team if not for him. Then she headed off with Clipper to have him let her into their locker room, but I know she started talking to him. I didn’t think much of it, but I wonder if she put those ideas in his head.”

Moonshot stared at Applejack, her mouth open. “You’re kidding me.”

Applejack shrugged. “It’s what I saw. Can’t say for sure she said anything to him.”

Moonshot gritted her teeth. “I wouldn’t put it past her.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Typical. Knew I didn’t like her. Anyway, it’s the mid-season break. We don’t have a game for a whole week. That’s plenty of time to get this all fixed.”

Twilight nodded with a smile. “She’s right. We’ll figure this out. For now, just try to relax a little. We’ll find Clipper. I think we can convince him to come back.”

Moonshot forced a smile. “Thank you girls. For everything.”

“That’s what friends are for.” Said Twilight.

“And you’re the best friends I could have asked for.” Said Moonshot, scooping the three into a hug.

Author's Note:

Chapter six is now live. I updated the main description to include a link to an image of the OCs that are in this fic, to give you a better idea of how I visualize them. Only 4 chapters to go after this one. Thanks to everyone who has read it. Please let me know what you think in the comments.

Edit: Chapter was updated. Got some feedback and changed it up a bit in a few places to read better. Thanks DalTRS!