• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 983 Views, 16 Comments

The Ponyville Sluggers - Master_Twig



Rainbow Dash wants to join the local amatuer baseball team. She finds out soon she may not just be helping the team win, but saving it.

  • ...
0
 16
 983

Chapter 3: The Ace of Apples

It was a sunny afternoon. The plants were sprouting, the flowers blossoming. Sweet Apple Acres looked beautiful. Twilight had just arrived and was on a mission to find her friend. It didn’t take long, as Applejack was just off the main path to the barn, pulling a cart full of hay. Twilight trotted right up to her. “Hey Applejack.”

Applejack turned and gave her friend a smile. “Afternoon Twilight.” She was about to turn back to the cart when she had to take a second look. “Are you wearing a Ponyville Tornadoes ballcap?”

“Yup! I made the team!” She fluttered up and did a little backflip, landing with a happy bounce.

“Well congratulations. I’ll make it to as many games as I can.”

“I’d really like it if you were at every game.”

“I’ll do my best.” Applejack pulled the cart up to the side of the barn, “Though I’m probably not going to come watch you on the road games.”

“I didn’t mean watching.”

Applejack stopped what she was doing and sighed. “Not this again. I’ve been getting it enough from Rainbow Dash. You’ve already got Big Macintosh. Granny Smith isn’t able to do the hard work anymore and Applebloom just isn’t quite ready for it yet. If I’m not here, this farm is going to have a heap of trouble.”

“I understand. I’m not here to pressure you. But… I am curious. Are you really as good as Rainbow Dash thinks you are?”

“Sugarcube, I haven’t played in years. Sure, I’ve swung the bat a few times and tossed a few balls around, but a real honest game… heck, I haven’t done that since I was a school filly.”

“Well, just humor me here. Can we take a few swings? I just want to see you in action.”

Applejack raised a suspicious eyebrow. “I know what you’re trying to do.”

“What am I trying to do?” said Twilight innocently.

“You’re trying to get me to play a little ball. Get into it, and change my mind.” She shook her head. “Not gonna happen.”

“Right. I’m not going to try to change your mind. I just want to see you pitch. Please.”

“You aren’t going to let this go, are you Twilight?”

“I’m prepared to have Pinkie ask you.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I would.” Twilight grinned evilly.

Applejack conceded, knowing her defeat. “Alright. But just for a little bit. “

“That’s the spirit!” Twilight headed back to the path where she had left her bag of equipment and picked it up. She headed back to the barn where Applejack was waiting. They positioned themselves using the side of the barn as a backstop. Twilight’s horn was aglow as a stack of balls floated over to Applejack and came to rest next to her. Twilight put on her batting glove and secured a bat to it.”

“Alright. You ready for this Twilight?”

Twilight gave the bat a little practice swing, loosening up. “I’m ready.”

Applejack lobbed a ball up, and gave it a firm buck, sending it towards Twilight’s strike zone. Twilight swung, easily hitting the ball. It sailed over Applejacks’ head, landing near an apple tree and rolling to a stop a good distance away.

“Nice hit Twilight. You got a piece of that one.”

Twilight frowned. “Yes. I did. Anypony could have hit that pitch. You’re not trying.”

Applejacks eyes shifted and her mouth scrunched up. “Sure I am. You’re a great hitter.”

“Give me your best pitch Applejack.”

“You really want me to try?” asked Applejack.

“That’s the whole point of this!”

“Alright. But you asked for it.” Applejack picked up another ball and took a deep breath. As long as she was going to humor Twilight, she might as well start trying. The ball was lobbed up, Applejack reared, and with a mighty buck, the ball was launched.

Twilight barely had time to react and didn’t even manage a swing. The ball thudded against the barn loudly. Twilight stared at the ball on the ground, then up at Applejack, then back to the ball, then back to Applejack. A grin spread over her face. “That’s what I wanted to see! Do it again.”

“Alright. I’ll pitch as many as you want. Still not joining the team.”

Applejack continued to throw Twilight some pitches. Her fastballs were much faster than anything Lucky or Blossomforth had sent her way. Applejack even threw some curveballs and change-ups. In spite of her determination to not enjoy this, she started to have fun.

Twilight swung and missed hard on a fast slider. She hit the release on her glove and the bat fell to the ground with a clunk. “Okay Applejack. I think I’ve seen all I need to.” Twilight took off her batting glove. “Applejack, you’re a better pitcher than anyone on the team. With you pitching I think we could have a winning season.”

Applejack knew this was coming. She let out a heavy sigh. “Unless you can find a way for this farm to get taken care of, it’s not going to happen.” She looked down at a ball at her feet and rolled it back and forth a bit under her hoof. “I admit, playing would be a lot of fun.” She kicked the ball away. “But I just can’t.” she narrowed her eyes a bit and harshened her tone. “And you and Rainbow Dash guilting me into it is making me a mite cross. You’re pushing and pushing and I’ve given my answer. No is no.”

Twilight trotted over, picking up the ball with her magic, hovering it just between the two. “Just let me ask one more question. What would it take to get you to say yes?”

Applejack paused to think before finally speaking.“Well, you’d have to let me practice completely on my own schedule. Allow me the time I need to tend to the farm. You would then have to get somepony skilled to watch it when I can’t. Somepony who is just as good as me or Big Macintosh. That… and you and Rainbow would owe me. Once the season is over, you two would have to be my workers, and for one week, you’re going to do any job around the farm I ask of you.”

“That’s all?” Twilight said enthusiastically.

“What do you mean that’s all? That’s a lot.”

“Consider it done. Thanks Applejack!” Twilight quickly magicked the equipment back into her bag and hopped into the sky.

Applejack stared blankly as her friend left her, then yelled back “I didn’t agree to nothin!”

Twilight flew to a nearby hill. There, she landed next to Rainbow Dash and Moonshot Striker, each of which had a pair of binoculars.

Rainbow Dash grinned. “I TOLD you she could pitch.”

Moonshot nodded. “She’s good. She’s not going to be the best in the league, but she’d be the best on our team. I want her.”

Rainbow put a hoof to her chin. “But how are we going to get her to say yes? It looked like she didn’t agree.”

Twilight smiled proudly. “Oh I got her to agree. We just have to fulfill some terms.”

“What kind of terms?” Moonshot asked skeptically.

“Well, first off, we’re going to have to let her practice and participate on her own schedule. Obviously she’ll have to come to the games, but practice is on her time. Don’t worry about that though. I’m an expert at making schedules. Also… Rainbow Dash, you and I are going to have to be laborers on the farm for a week during applebuck season.”

“Only a week? No problem. I’ve helped around the farm before. Besides, Granny Smith can’t help but feed anypony working the fields.” Dash licked her lips, thinking about the cider and pie that would surely be hers.

“Anything else?” asked Moonshot.

“Yes. We need to find someone to tend the fields on our road trips. We might have to hire out some skilled earth pony. Though it has to be someone Applejack will trust.”

“Leave that to me.” Said Moonshot. “We get Applejack, we have a chance. A slim chance, but that’s all we need. Once we know for sure I’ll post the final roster.”

“So what next?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I need to go talk to Fluttershy.” Said Moonshot apprehensively.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened. “You still haven’t talked to her? It’s been two days!”

“I didn’t have time yesterday. Relax, I’m taking care of it.” Moonshot started off, then stopped and paused before turned back. “Where does she live?”

Twilight stepped up. “I’ll show you. Plus, I should probably be there. Follow me.”

Moonshot nodded. “Alright. See you later Rainbow Dash.”

“Later.” Dash flew off, leaving the two to walk the rest of the way.

It didn’t take long for Twilight and Moonshot to reach Fluttershy’s. As they approached they noticed that Fluttershy was out in her yard. There was a pair of birds standing next to her, looking up at her and listening carefully as Fluttershy was presenting them a nest.

“Now, you’ll need to keep the eggs warm at all times.” said Fluttershy. “If you don’t they may not hatch. It’s going to be a lot of work, but I’m sure you’ll make great parents.”

The birds chirped happily as Fluttershy picked up the nest and placed it up on a nearby tree, setting them up for their new home. After setting it in place, she gave a little wave to Twilight and Moonshot to acknowledge their presence. Once she finished with her tutorial to the birds she flew down to the two ponies.

“Hello Twilight.” She greeted cheerfully. “And um… hello Moonshot.” said with her eyes to the ground and a hoof pulled back.

Moonshot tried to relax and leaned back, speaking softly. “Hello Fluttershy. I wanted to talk to you.”

“Oh… um… did I do something else wrong?” she asked nervously.

Moonshot shook her head with a smile. “No. Look, I want to thank you for coming to tryouts. I’m happy that there are ponies in this town other than me who like baseball.”

Fluttershy looked confused. “You came over to thank me?”

Moonshot put up a hoof. “No. I wanted to talk to you about being a part of the team.”

Fluttershy looked down at the ground. “But. I’m terrible. I’m afraid of the ball and can’t play at all. You said so yourself.”

Moonshot sighed. “Yes, I did. However, I didn’t know as much about you as I do now, and I’ve been talking to Twilight here and I think you might have a part to play. Not as a player, but you’d still have an important role to play.”

Fluttershy raised her head a little, looking hopeful. “What… kind of role?”

“I want you to be our team’s physical trainer. I want you to help keep the team in top shape. Help with their diets and exercise routines. Treat minor injuries and provide some physical therapy. Twilight says you have quite a bit of experience with that kind of thing.”

Fluttershy looked over at Twilight, as if trying to get some confirmation, saying nothing.

Twilight spoke up. “You’d do really well Fluttershy. I think the team would really benefit from having you around. I know Dash and I would really like having you with us.”

Fluttershy looked back down at the ground again. “I don’t know. I feel like you’re just doing this to be nice” She looked up at Moonshot accusingly. “Did Rainbow Dash say she wouldn’t play unless you apologized to me?”

Moonshot stepped back defensively. “What? No. I’m trying to make the best team I can. I can’t do that with you on the field, but I can do that with you helping me support the team. I’m not going to apologize for cutting you. I had to cut over ten other ponies too, and I wasn’t any nicer to them. But according to Twilight, you’re the best fit for the team trainer and nutritionist. I’m taking her word for it…” she glanced back at Twilight. “Pretty sure if Celestia trusts her, I can too.”

Fluttershy dragged a hoof across the dirt slowly. “Well, I guess I just have to think about it.”

“That’s all I ask. Just stop by the park and we can get the details sorted out. I’m going to head there right now. You coming Twilight?”

Twilight shook her head. “No. I have a few other things to take care of. Should I stop by later?”

Moonshot nodded. “Please do. I’ll talk to you both later.” She trotted off, heading back towards the park.

Fluttershy looked over at Twilight. “Does she really want my help?”

“After I told her about you and what you were good at, she seemed genuinely interested. I don’t think Moonshot is the kind of pony to go against her feelings just to make another pony feel better. She wouldn’t ask you to help if she didn’t really think you were going to be a help.”

“You think so?”

“I do.” Twilight put a hoof over her friend’s shoulder. “So, what do you say?”

Fluttershy adjusted the hat, then smiled. “Okay! I’ll do it!”
---------------------------------------------

Applejack sat back on a stack of hay bales outside the barn and took a long drink of cider. It had been a long day, but she gotten done everything she had wanted to. The only thing on her mind now was the supposed deal she made to Twilight earlier in the day.

It was true that the summer time was easier than spring and fall. All she really had to do was ensure that the trees stayed watered and pruned. The pegasi had her rain schedule and she had already taken care of the planting. Still, on all the road trips she just wouldn’t feel comfortable with Applebloom and Granny Smith doing all the work on their own. She also didn’t like the idea of hiring somepony. Money was already tight, and she wasn’t sure she could trust some stranger with the farm.

On the other hand, she was upset at herself for letting Twilight get to her. Having the ball in hoof, bucking it at top speed towards a batter, and watching Twilight miss horribly gave her a sense of satisfaction she hadn’t felt in a while. Playing might be fun, especially with Rainbow Dash and Twilight on the team. If Big Macintosh hadn’t agreed it would have been an easy decision.

“Hey Applejack!” said a voice from right behind her. She jumped, spilling half her cider. Her head darted back to see Rainbow Dash hovering right above her.

“Rainbow Dash!” She adjusted herself. “Ya’ll scared me half to death. What do you want?”

Dash landed next to her, sitting back. “You know why I’m here.”

Applejack paused, looked at the baseball cap on Rainbow Dash’s head before rolling her eyes. “Yeah, I s’pose I do. Y’all are persistent.”

“Only because we really want you. Come on, it won’t be the same without you.”

Applejack crossed her front legs. “I gave my conditions to Twilight. You can talk to her.”

Dash waved a dismissive hoof. “Yeah. She told me. And, Moonshot came up with a solution.”

“Moonshot?”

“She’s the manager… and the owner. And I think she intends to play too. She’s like Miss Baseball around Ponyville” She bobbed her head to the left. “And she’s standing just around the side of the barn.”

Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash incredulously. “Well I guess I should introduce myself then.” She hopped down from the hay stack. “Y’all can come out.”

Moonshot stepped out from around the edge of the barn. She nodded and smiled at Applejack. “Hello Applejack. Nice to finally meet you.”

“Howdy.” Applejack tipped her hat.

“Twilight and Rainbow Dash tell me you’re a top pitcher. That you can buck a ball so fast it’ll break a bottle from 100 feet. That’s the kind of talent I need to give the Ponyville Tornadoes their first winning season.” She leaned in close to Applejack. “Will you give us a chance?”

Applejack turned her nose up. “I told Twilight my terms.”

Moonshot smiled. “And she told them to me. I don’t care when you practice as long as you do. I’ve placed your brother at catcher, so the two of you can practice together right here at your convenience. As for Twilight and Rainbow Dash, that’s between you and them.”

“Well that leaves just one term then. You know anypony who can look after a farm?” Applejack leaned in close.

“I do. There’s a pony I’ve known a long time and he is one of the most dependable and hardworking ponies I’ve ever met. He’s the pony responsible for keeping Ponyville Park as one of the prettiest spots in town.” Moonshot turned back towards the barn. “Clipper. Come on out.”

Clipper stepped out. He trotted over, smiling meekly.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Anypony else hiding out behind the barn?”

“Eeyup.” Came a familiar voice from around the corner.

Applejack put a hoof up to her face. “Alright. Well, nice to meet you Mr. Clipper. But I’ll tell ya right up front. Just cuz you know how to work the land, doesn’t mean I want to have you take over responsibilities here at Sweet Apple Acres.”

Clipper looked at Applejack hopefully. “Let me show you what I can do. I’ll work really hard. If you show me what to do, I’ll get it done right. Promise.”

Moonshot patted Clipper on the back. “He will. You said you wanted a pony to tend to the land while you’re away, well he’s your pony. And don’t you worry about money. With you on the team, I figure the extra ticket sales and merchandise sales should more than make up for what we’ll have to pay him. If not, I’ll pay him out of my own pocket.”

Dash raised an eyebrow. “If you own the team and the park wouldn’t proceeds from the ticket sales merchandise be out of your pocket anyway?”

Moonshot gave Dash an annoyed look. “Technically, yes.”

Dash pushed on. “So, then if there was no team last year how did you get by?”

“I almost didn’t.” Moonshot gritted her teeth and her brow furrowed a bit.

“What do you mean?” Dash couldn’t help but ask, all tact out the window.

Moonshot stomped the ground and raised her voice. “Not now!”

Dash stepped back, her ears drooped and her wings tucked in tight, finally realizing she crossed a line. “Sorry…” she barely squeaked out.

Moonshot looked over at Applejack and a wave of embarrassment swept over her.

Applejack’s eyes darted nervously between Dash and Clipper. Everypony suddenly felt very uncomfortable. Applejack decided to break the silence. “Well uh… I’m really sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you uh… gave up a lot.”

Moonshot swallowed hard. “The team is all I have. I know for most ponies it’s just a game, but it’s everything to me. I would give up anything for this team.”

Applejack looked Moonshot right in the eyes. “I can see that. You have a passion and you work hard for it. If anypony is that dedicated to something they love and are willing to work as hard as they can for it… I guess it sounds like somepony I’d like to play for.” She turned to Clipper. “Guess that means you’re my new farmhand. You ready learn how to grow the Apple Family way?”

Clipper nodded with a smile. “I won’t let you down ma’am!”

Moonshot composed herself, her eyes going wide. “Really? You’ll play?”

Applejack nodded. “I’ll play.” She looked around at the ponies around her, took off her cowboy hat, grabbed the cap off of Dash’s head and placed it on her own. “So, when do we start?”