• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 908 Views, 22 Comments

New Life - Mydnyt Rayn



Octavia lost a chance in the Canterlot Fair and left Canterlot to clear her mind. But she can't go back. Not yet.

  • ...
1
 22
 908

Chapter 4

Octavia packed her newly purchased saddlebags with some bits and a water bottle. She was going to walk around the marketplace to get some food for the week. She was going to ask Vinyl to go with her to bond more and to help her out to get around the town. She set the saddlebags on her back and walked to her room's front door. She walked down the hall to the elevator and took it to the main floor. She waved to Shadey and pushed the front doors open revealing the beautiful day outside. She walked towards the town for the first time during her stay and saw that Ponyville was quite a lovely town. Houses and shops surrounding the town hall at the center, leaving paths in a circular flow all the way around. She could smell all the fresh fruits and vegetables and flowers from the marketplace. She continued to walk around a bit until she spotted a huge tree. The sign out front indicating that it was the Golden Oaks Library, meaning the house across from it had to be Vinyl's.

Octavia went up to the front door and saw a double eighth note that was the same as Vinyl's cutie mark. She knocked three times and waited. Nothing. Three more times. Nothing. Was she not home? Octavia turned to leave when she heard the door unlock. She turned back around just as the door opened. Vinyl stood in the door way, her eyes half closed, her mane askew. She had been sleeping.

"Sorry to wake you. But I was wondering if you would like to help me around and the market." Octavia stated.

"Uuhh..."

"It's fine if you can't, I'm sure I can get around."

She heard soft, but deep breathing.

"Vinyl? Are you OK?"

Vinyl's head shot up her eyes wide open. "It wasn't me!" Her eyes met the doorway and she quickly jumped back, covering her eyes. "Gah! Sunlight! Bad sunlight!"

"Vinyl, are you OK?" Octavia asked again.

Vinyl's head shot up again and she smiled at the confused cellist. "Hey Octy, what's up?"

That happened. "Um, I was wondering if you wanted to help me around the market. If you can't, that's-"

"Nah, nah, I can help you! Anything you need."

Octavia was still confused. "Alright then. Lead the way."

~~~

Octavia almost had all that she needed for the next couple of days. Though, Vinyl was still acting strange. Octavia wasn't sure if it was sleep or the other option. Sleep, hopefully, because she didn't like the other one as much. Octavia made her last purchase and went to go find Vinyl. She was here somewhere...

Vinyl walked slowly behind Octavia, trying her hardest not to draw her attention. She was crouched down a little and her tail brushed the ground from time to time, but all that mattered was her master plan. Sneak carefully behind her friend and wait til the moment was perfect. Right as Octavia was about to turn, Vinyl stood straight like a statue and waited. Octavia turned around and freaked out when she saw Vinyl being her. To make matter's worse, Vinyl also said boo at the same time. Octavia tripped and Vinyl fell with her, laughing her flank off. Octavia gently kicked Vinyl and stood up, brushing the dirt off. She gathered her groceries and scowled at Vinyl.

"That wasn't funny, Vinyl."

"Vinyl stood up and stifled a laugh. " Yes, Mommy." She said sarcastically.

Octavia rolled her eyes and walked back towards the hotel. Vinyl walked with her and apologized.

"Sorry, Octy."

"It's fine, just don't do it again.

" How are you this morning?"

"Vinyl, it's three in the afternoon."

"It is?" Octavia nodded. "Dang."

The pair made it to the hotel, walking through the front doors and to the elevator. They arrived on the second floor and casually walked to room 207. Once inside Octavia set her groceries on the counter in the kitchen and looked at Vinyl.

"Care to stay for dinner? I assume you haven't eaten anything since you woke up."

"You can cook?" Vinyl asked.

Octavia nodded and gestured to the couch. "You can watch T.V. while I cook if you'd like." Vinyl smiled and walked over to the couch and plopped down. She levetated the remote over to her-

Vinyl, that's a book.

Vinyl looked at her magic and blushed. "Thanks, man."

"What was that?" Octavia asked, surprised.

"Mr. Narrator."

"What?"

"Nothing..."

Vinyl picked up the actual remote and turned the television on. Octavia went back to preparing dinner, still confused by the strange behavior. Vinyl was watching cartoons and she was comfortable. After about an hour, Octavia pulled their meal out of the oven and set it on the counter to cool of.

"Mmm, Smell's good."

"Thank you. It's my mother's recipe."

"What is it?" Vinyl asked.

"It's a cream of mushroom base mixed with diced vegetables, cheese and mashed potatoes seperating each of the three layers. One on the bottom, the middle, and top. It's kind of like a mashed potato soup."

"Wow. Your mom has good taste."

"Thank you, now we just have to wait until it cools off. Care to sample it first?"

Vinyl got of the couch and was given a spoke with a small scoop of the delectable meal on it. She blew a couple of times then stuck the spoon in her mouth. She let the flavors stir around then swallowed. "Wow, that's pretty good."

Octavia smiled with a small blush. She felt a pang in her stomach. A happy pang. Vinyl was a good friend. But it felt like more than that. Almost past the friend stage... No, brain. Don't think that.

~~~

The pair ate their meal in almost complete science, the occasional compliment from Vinyl and thank you'd from Octavia. When the two finished, Octavia took the plates to the sink, leaving Vinyl alone for the minute. Did she really love Octavia? Was she that special to her? When Octavia turned around, she looked at Vinyl. Do I like her past the friend stage? Is she that special.

Vinyl stood and prepared to go home. Octavia went over to say good bye. Vinyl, out of complete control, looked at Octavia and pressed her lips against hers. It only lasted for a few seconds. Then Vinyl realized what she was doing and pulled away. Octavia was stunned. She didn't know what to think. Vinyl looked down, her ears flattened against her head, as she slowly circled her hoof around. Vinyl was going to leave when Octavia pressed her lips against Vinyl's cheek. "I like you a lot too, Vinyl." Vinyl smiled as the two hugged.

So you liked it.

Shut up, brain. Octavia said.