• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 531 Views, 1 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 4 -- Fury Run - shysage



Returning from 'Equestria Past', Summer Rain and Shysage just need rest and time... But a nasty 'Fury Boil' pops, sending a steady stream of deadly Furies directly at Ponyville. The only victim may be the most painful of all...

  • ...
9
 1
 531

Chapter 8, Embracing the Storm, Part 2

Summer and Shysage flew together to Ponyville, to their home, and really did enjoy flying together again. It was clear though that they were both 'out of shape'.

They went inside their home, and found that Dawn had put both of their collars and the rope inside the door. This was only fair, Dawn didn't need them any more.

Rather than dwell on the nightmare they had just survived, Summer changed them both to 'people', and they hugged immediately and tightly. Summer's Twin wasn't in range yet, so, for a while, they just stood there, hugging and kissing. They kissed a lot, until both their bodies seemed to respond, and then they tried to just hug more; neither of them wanted to stop hugging. Shysage had been 'gone' a while, after all. They tried to ignore their bodies, for a little while anyway.

Shysage was a little apprehensive about how this evening and tonight would go. Things had been pretty rough before the Fury Run, and he was not sure what effect the passage of time would have, on each of them, and in a number of areas. And he felt battered now too...

Still, he had pretty much made up his mind that he would do what was best for Summer; what she wanted, what she needed. She is the one that had to cope without him for months, and Shysage still couldn't even imagine what that was like. He would let her call the shots. He told her that, then hugged her tightly.

Tears filled Summer's eyes, and she said softly "Shysage, I love you so much... It seems like a miracle to me that I even got you back... I just want you near me..."

It was quiet for a few minutes while Shysage hugged his Mare tightly.

Well, it was clear Summer really liked how Shysage's face felt with no beard, and she had her face up against his if and when she could. This simple gift seemed to mean a lot to Summer. And he liked her that close, too. Shysage guessed Summer would probably want to sleep like that, and he would make it work.

After kissing and hugging some more, Summer said "Hi Twin", and then changed she and Shysage back to ponies. Twin must have been in range now.

It was afternoon, and Summer and Shysage walked to the meadow off to the East, and Summer led them over to the little hill. They were both soon laying down on their bellies next to each other, taking turns thanking their true friend that Shysage was back.

Both were weeping softly for this, they were in no hurry.

After this was done, they rubbed noses some, in between gazing into each other's eyes.

A little while later, they were both staring off into the distance.

"Summer, even being here next to you is an amazing privilege to me, I hope you know that" Shysage said softly.

Summer wrapped her neck up and over Shysage's neck like she did in her dream, then rested there and sighed.

"Well, that's good, Shysage... We've raised two foals as Stallion and Mare, and I just can't survive without you... I'm trying to put the last few months behind me... It was awful...

"I missed everything else we do together, even when it's hard... ..but not even being able to talk to you was so painful... Maybe that was the hardest of all, I don't know..."

Shysage rolled over on his back, and Summer was soon on top of him. Well they were sort of at an angle. They were just hugging, well as ponies.

Summer smiled then said "We aren't staying here long, right? Because you know..."

"Oh, precious Mare..." Shysage said, smiling himself. "Nah, I just wanted to hug you. I really love you. And I'm glad to be back with you."

They hugged, and rubbed noses a few minutes. Summer said softly "Stallion, tell me how this feels."

Shysage was immediately apprehensive. This could go in any number of directions.

Still, Summer, instead of rubbing Shysage's nose, actually licked it with her tongue.

Shysage slowly licked Summer's nose back, then said softly "Maybe we should save that..."

Summer giggled, then said "I suspected as much, Stallion."

Summer thought for a minute, then said "Ooops, sorry Twin..."

Shysage got this worried look on his face, but Summer said her Twin just laughed. Summer said her Twin mentioned something about 'taking notes', then Shysage laughed a lot.

Shysage explained the phrase to his Mare, then she laughed a lot too.


Then they both got up.

Summer said "Can we fly together a while? I really missed being able to do that with you. I think I need the exercise, too."

Shysage replied "Well, I know I need the exercise. That sounds amazing."

Shysage and his Mare rubbed noses, and were soon flying lazily around Ponyville. Both had really missed this simple way of spending time together.

From the air, they watched the ponies of Ponyville. Many seemed to be scurrying around, finishing their day below. It looked like the Cake's shop was busy right now, but this was not a surprise.

Shysage said "No more food for me, please. That 'Burger' was very good, but I'm stuffed."

Summer just laughed.

Still, being able to save even one of the ponies below from a fury was an amazing victory. But they had saved MANY ponies; it could have been a lot worse... And the ponies below them had absolutely no idea what had happened early that morning, over two months ago now...

Shysage suspected a new volume of Summer's chronicles would probably be requested at some point. "Summer, did you take any notes for the time I was 'gone'? And we can discuss this later of now is a bad time..."

Summer was quiet, and headed to the closest meadow and landed, then sat down. Shysage followed and landed, then sat facing her, and hugged her tightly.

Weeping softly, she said quietly "I actually did a few chapters on your compy. I had a lot of time, because you slept a lot... I cried a lot while doing it, well I cried a lot anyway... I hope I didn't ruin your keyboard... I don't know if you will like what I wrote, it was all from my perspective. It was the best I could do though..."

Shysage let Summer cry on his shoulder for a little while; He just hugged her tightly.

"Summer, I love you very much... I will keep your chapters exactly like they are, I'm sure they are perfect. What you endured was a nightmare, and your description of that will certainly be better than anything I could come up with."

Summer picked her head up, and looked into Shysage's eyes, then sighed. "Stallion, I am just thankful I got you back... ...because it really was a nightmare..."

Shysage then carefully licked Summer's nose.

Summer smiled... "Shysage, let's fly some more... Because... Well... you know..."

They were quickly back in the air, enjoying flying together again.

They had been in the air together for less than half an hour when a bunch of other ponies joined them. The Fluttershys and Summer's Twin came first, followed soon after by the Twilights, and the Rainbow Dash Twins.

Equestria Girls Fluttershy was crying... Her Twin, Equestria pony Fluttershy had joined her as they flew. She loved flying, but understood Equestria pony Fluttershy's fears. She was just elated that she and her Twin were flying together now...

These flying friends all spent maybe the next half hour flying slowly together above the town. They all talked, they laughed, this was just an amazing way to be together.

It must have been an amazing sight too, there were nine of them flying together.

It wasn't the Wonderbolts, but Equestria pony Rainbow Dash still said "Flying with you ponies like this is amazing... It's even better than the Wonderbolts..."

Everypony felt the sentiment behind the statement, and both Twilights said at the same time "Aww... Rainbow..."

Summer realized that the rest of the ponies should not be left alone long, so Summer led them back to the Castle, to the others, who were just sitting outside the Castle talking. The Celestia and Luna Twins were not there, however.

They all just spent the next hour outside the Castle just talking together. The lights on the front of the Castle were now very bright. Visiting together was easy to do, even though it was getting dark. And Summer told them all again that she really appreciated them 'being there' for her.

Summer tried to spend some time with each set of Twins that evening. She really did love all of them. And being with friends like this really was amazing...


Summer only later realized that Shysage was not with her. She immediately began looking around for him. Before she got too apprehensive, Summer saw her Stallion. He was sitting under 'Summer's Tree'; it was one of the closer trees to the Castle after all. Summer really didn't want to go back over there...

Summer apologized to the Twilight Twins, then walked slowly over to Shysage. She was just concerned...

Shysage was facing the tree, facing a patch of grass stained with his own blood... Summer sat next to him and started to cry immediately. Shysage put one of his front legs around her neck, and pulled her close.

Neither of them heard, nor saw, that the Twilight Twins had followed Summer over, then quietly sat together behind them both.

Shysage hugged Summer tightly, then spoke softly.

"Summer, we both need to embrace what happened here, the 'storm' that we have both had to deal with... It was painful, for you the most, but at least it's over. And if me losing my memory for two and a half months is the price we both paid to rescue the rest of Ponyville and beyond from furies, I can live with that. That is what True Friendship is all about.

"And so many other really good things have happened here as well...

"I don't think being a Phantom Alicorn will be easy, and I sometimes wonder why one of the most sensitive mares in Equestria was given that honor. Maybe that's where I come in, I don't know.

"But Summer, this is who you are, who we are. This is what has helped us become what we are today, and accomplish all that we have accomplished, and whatever might be in store for us. We both need to accept that."

Summer's crying slowed, then stopped as Shysage said all this. When he was done, Summer sighed in Shysage's embrace, then spoke softly herself.

"Stallion, you are right, a lot of amazing things have happened here, and we need to accept the bad along with that.

"And I agree with everything you said about the sacrifices we make and have made, for the sake of True Friendship, for the benefit of others. That too is who we are, who we have chosen to become.

"And I guess, knowing what I know now, I would probably have everything work out all the same way, if I could choose again beforehand, I don't know.

"But still, this blood on the ground... You losing your memory... It all just... Shysage, this Phantom Alicorn just cannot live without her Stallion by her side... Shysage... I just cant..."

They both were crying now, hugging tightly too.

Summer soon heard her Twin crying too, very close...

The Twins were all now sitting behind Summer and Shysage. Well, Summer's Twin moved to sit next to her, and just hugged her Twin. The rest of the Twins weren't in any order, but were all close, each with their Twin. And they had all been there that terrible morning, two and a half months ago. And it was pretty dark this far from the Castle.

Still, Princess Twilight said "Ok girls, and Shysage too, let's say it, you should all know this by now."

Everypony said:

"We are deeply devoted to each other...
"We are true friends, and committed to true friendship...
"We are... ...Equestria..."

Princess Twilight continued, addressing everypony present.

"This Fury Run has taught me three very important lessons.

"First, there is nopony among us that is of secondary importance. You all know that Shysage's role in this group has largely been in the background. But his injury deeply impacted us all.

"I can look around this group, and honestly say that NONE OF YOU are 'expendable'... I personally need each and every one of you. And I know this puts me in a very difficult spot, but that is just the way it is. I love you all. I need you all. And Equestria needs you all...

"Second, given our roles together helping to safeguard Equestria, we must all CONSTANTLY work hard to maintain our devotion to each other. Summer's Dream surfaced that need, and the Fury Run just emphasized how important it is for us to stay deeply devoted to each other.

"We never know when the Group Link will be required, and we need to make sure we are ready. And Pinkie and Applejack please understand me -- I am NOT trying to point any fingers. It honestly could have been ANY of us, me included. Girls, we MUST work to stay devoted to each other. We must all safeguard that constantly.

"Lastly, I also heard what Shysage said a little while ago, and it is true. If Summer and Shysage working through that "two and a half month storm" was the cost of our group being able to save Equestria from furies, that is a cost we must ALL accept, TOGETHER... That is a part of who we are, and what we do. And again, it could have been, and in the future could be, any of us that are called on, to pay such a price.

"Ok, girls, please 'circle up' as Twins, with Shysage between the Summer's and the Fluttershys. Let's get the Group Link going for a little while."

The peace found in the Soul Link is amazing, and really defies description. The Group Link is even more like this...

The 'Soul Link' was originally surfaced during Summer's 'Dark Journey' to rescue the Equestria ponies from Discord's tombstones.

After starting the 'link', Equestria Girls Fluttershy took some of Equestria pony Fluttershy's pain into her own soul to ease the pain her Twin was carrying, and as the focal point of Discord's rebellion, Equestria pony Fluttershy carried a lot of pain... Soon the Twins were all doing this, sharing each other's pain.

Well the purpose of this Group Link quickly became Summer's amazing friends each taking some of the pain from Summer's soul, the pain that resulted from losing Shysage for two and a half months. Each of the 13 devoted friends present took some, and Shysage did too. But after each of the 14 ponies took some, there was not a lot left. It really helped...

Then they all just relaxed together. It was amazing.

Princess Twilight broke the link after a little while.

Summer and Shysage hugged and thanked everypony, which took a while, then they hugged her sister and her twin, then Summer's own Twin. Summer and Shysage then walked off together to Shysage's home.


This discussion between Summer and Shysage began soon after they started walking from the Castle to their home.

"Summer, so when your Twin is close, you can sense some of what she is seeing and hearing, correct? And she can likewise sense what you are seeing and hearing as well, right?" Shysage asked.

Summer answered "Yes, and it seems that can't be turned off either. Why do you ask?"

"Well, what do you think is the range of that link... How close do you need to be to your Twin for that link to be active?" Shysage asked again.

Summer thought for a minute, then replied "Shysage, I'm not very good with distances, I'm sorry."

Shysage stopped, and hugged his Mare. "Summer... From our home to the Castle is easily in range, right?"

Summer immediately answered "Yes..." then also immediately understood his point. "I think I see what you are getting at. We can't do anything about that though, right?"

Shysage replied "Well, maybe. Let's walk out to the hill East in the meadow, and see if it is still active. I don't know how much pressure our actions have placed on your Twin in the past, but I know waiting is hard..."

"My Twin just mentioned that she knows we kiss a lot, but that's it." Summer said quietly.

"Well I think your Twin is amazing" Shysage said, knowing full well that Equestria Girls Summer would be able to hear that.

"I think the distance is no more than a mile, but I don't know..." Shysage offered as a guess.

Shysage decided to call it the "Twin Link". This information came into play briefly during Summer's dream, but otherwise was not something anypony had explored.

Well, it worked on the little hill in the meadow East of town. But at the far side of the meadow, near the lake, it did not work.

Shysage and his mare walked slowly back, and Summer mentioned when the link returned. At this point, Shysage flew straight up for a minute, then came back. It was dark, but the lights on the Castle were bright. Princess Twilight's Castle was beautiful at night too.

"Maybe three quarters of a mile" Shysage said to himself.

Then Shysage said to Summer "Lets give your Twin some peace maybe", and he led them both to the far end of the meadow.

It was actually lighter out now, and the rising, full Moon was the reason.

Summer and Shysage were soon laying on their bellies in the grass facing the Moon. The appearance of the meadow under the hushed light of the full Moon was very beautiful.


Summer said what Shysage was thinking "Stallion, we are completely alone right now... Is that safe?"

Shysage just sighed... "Mare, you are amazingly beautiful... I could look at you all night... Well, I might want to do more, but still..." Shysage paused briefly, then said "How badly do you want a foal?"

Then he quickly asked "Summer, honestly, how are you doing in your recovery from the last two months?"

Summer answered immediately "Stallion, there's something on your mind, if I am not mistaken."

Shysage answered with a smile "Summer, I can't keep anything from you, can I? Well, we need to have this discussion at some point, but I want to make sure it is not at a harmful time."

"Shysage, I am overjoyed to just have you back. And the Group Link made a huge difference. Let's talk about it now, and we can stop and finish later if it becomes a problem." Summer suggested.

Shysage thought a minute, then said softly "We have mentioned giving you a foal quiet a bit; sometimes seriously, sometimes not. I just don't think there ever will be a 'good' time for the Phantom Alicorn to have a foal..."

Summer replied quietly "I know Shysage... I think that's just a part of my calling... But I know you are wise, tell me what you are thinking."

Shysage gently mentioned the following to his mare.

"Well first, I think any use of your Phantom Alicorn magic could impact the development of a baby in your womb. And we don't even know if your body would block the use of your Phantom Alicorn form in order to protect the baby.

"I also don't know if using the Portal is a good idea while you are pregnant either. I am not extremely concerned about this however.

"The biggest problem with the Portal is that taking a foal through from here to the Equestria Girls world would be very dangerous. Human babies don't fall very gracefully. The Portal has surprised me before, however.

"And I still am not sure how to handle obligations I feel left over from the Equestria Girls world...

"At any rate, I think we should only pursue our own foal if we willingly accept the following conditions.

"First, if the protection of Equestria requires it, we must be fully willing to use your Alicorn magic, even if it might harm the baby in your womb.

"And I guess, once you are pregnant, we should be able to determine if you are able to even 'spin up' your Cutie Mark. But there is a chance, we may find that a pregnancy puts you out of action. That could get scary.

"I also suspect that you will need to stay in one world or the other for the duration of your pregnancy, and even beyond until the baby passes a certain age. My preference would be Equestria, because the system in place for 'health care' in the Equestria Girls world is very convoluted, and expensive, and getting worse. Well, that and you have absolutely no identity there.

"And even after all of this, the occasion may arise where we may need to leave our foal in the care of somepony else, maybe for an extended time, should our presence in, say the Equestria Girls world be required."

Shysage just stopped here and sighed.

"Precious Mare... Us having our own foal would require a lot of things to go right, and we need to be willing to accept it, if that doesn't happen..."

Summer was silent for a minute or two, then she spoke softly "Well Stallion, I think we are both on the same page here.

"I want you to know that I really appreciated what you gave me up in the clouds, but I feel really bad that I haven't been able to give you anything in return.

"Still, I understand past obligations need to be resolved somehow before we get too much further. I guess we just need to be very careful here until that happens, whatever 'very careful' means...

Shysage began to weep at this point, then said softly "Summer, I really don't deserve you... You are absolutely amazing... I could never find a better Mare, on either side of the Portal..."

"Well, I'm Shysage's Mare, I hope that's ok with you." Summer said with a smile.

Shysage just hugged her...

After a brief pause, Summer said quietly "Let's go home, I think my Twin is waiting up until we are back in range before she goes to sleep."

Summer and Shysage walked across the meadow, and Summer was right. As soon as the 'Twin Link' was active again, Equestria Girls Summer said "Thank you, and good night."

Summer said "I love you, Twin."

and Shysage said "Me too."


It was late, and had been maybe a day and a half, if you include their full day in the Equestria Girls world.

Shysage and his Mare were soon in their home, in their room.

Shysage was correct, they were both quickly 'people', in their brand new Shysage clothes.

Shysage was on his back with Summer laying on top of him, curled up like this morning, with her legs out to the side. Summer's face was up against Shysage's, and she occasionally would kiss his face; well, maybe more often than just occasionally.

Shysage again hugged Summer with one arm, and held her hands in his free hand.

It was clear neither would be able to sleep this way, so Shysage asked Summer to sit up a minute, and Shysage went and got his scratchy old pony blanket, and folded it up into a fairly large pillow. He sort of leaned it up against the wall in the corner of their room.

Shysage was soon laying back on the floor, with his head and chest sort of at an angle on the blanket pillow. He was actually laying parallel to the wall right next to him. Summer curled back up on his chest, moved her legs down a little further, and was very comfortable.

"I love you, Mare" Shysage said, and Summer just sighed contendedly.

Summer was soon asleep.

Shysage didn't think he could sleep, but it really didn't matter. He was taking care of his Mare.

Shysage did finally doze off, only to wake up maybe in the middle of the night. Summer had moved over against the wall, and so was laying on her side next to Shysage. Her knee was pretty high up on his legs, but Summer was clearly sound asleep.

Shysage just went back to sleep himself. He couldn't sleep very deeply on his back, but again this was about Summer. He just made it work.

Summer slept very well, and Shysage woke up early to Summer gently kissing his face. He liked that. He kissed her back too.

After a few minutes, Shysage hugged her tightly and then he sighed contendedly.

"I love you too, Stallion" Summer said softly.

Shysage liked mornings like this. Well, he really loved his Mare.

"How did last night work for you, Mare?" Shysage asked quietly.

"Well, aside from wanting to... well... Otherwise, it was fine" Summer answered with a smile.

"You're not alone there, but we just need to get used to that I guess..." Shysage said.

"Yes. That's why it's time to go flying, Stallion. Are you ready?" Summer asked.

"Summer can we just hug a little longer?" Shysage asked.

Summer kissed Shysage, then said softly "Hi Twin..."

Shysage smiled, then said "Flying, it is."


Summer changed them both back into ponies, and Shysage and his Mare headed to the meadow for some Oats.

Summer's Twin begged them to come to the Castle instead, and enjoy some breakfast with the Twins, and so that's what they decided to do. Evidently, everypony was waiting for them.

"Well, we get to fly a little anyway, Shysage" Summer said quietly.

Shysage thought a minute then said "Summer, today is a Twin's Day, so you should enjoy your Twin while you can. I think I will try to get some writing projects done today."

"Well, it's not like you have a lot to do..." Summer said with a smile.

Shysage thought about asking Summer where she put the Fury Run chapters she did, but realized this might not be a good idea. He realized he could find them easily enough.

Summer and Shysage landed at the Castle, and were 'people' for a few minutes as they kissed and hugged. Then they headed into the Castle for breakfast.