• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 6,065 Views, 187 Comments

Croitre - Recon



What IS this irregular heartbeat?

  • ...
26
 187
 6,065

Dawn Goes Down to Day

Dawn Goes Down to Day
10

Yawn… The morning sun glistened through the windows, crafting an impressive array of light, decorating and dancing throughout the living room. Twilight reached over to welcome the sleeping blue pegasus’ familiar warmth. Instead, she was greeted with the pillow of the living room couch. Her thoughts quickly ran over the events of last night, surrounding her with the unfamiliar repulsive feeling of betrayal she harshly felt for the blue pegasus. How could she not feel anything after she openly confessed to her in such a sweet way? She cursed herself and groaned silently, wishing last night had never happened, or even if she could just somehow alter her emotions for the better. It was impossible, but she still fervently wished so. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew that, at some point, she had to tell Rainbow. It did nothing but nauseate her further. She put the thought away, in an attempt to alter the course of the inevitable.

Twilight felt a sense of déjà vu as she recalled again, that Rainbow wasn’t going to be home from the morning until after lunch for some weather team work. That left a good couple of hours to herself, and she planned to use them to reconsider a lot, including herself. She couldn’t do that on an empty stomach, she summarized. Twilight got up and stretched, opening her half-lidded eyes to the luminous rays of sunlight. With this, she slowly sulked over to the kitchen, her mood still not lifted. Pulling open a cupboard, she saw the same box of toaster waffles she had burnt yesterday. Yesterday… She opened up the box of waffles as she plugged in the toaster.

I’m not going to burn you this time, she thought, determined not to. She flipped over the box and peered at the bottom to carefully read the instructions. Okay, one and a half minutes on the setting ‘high’, she jotted down in a mental note. Carefully opening the wrapper, she illuminated the two frozen waffles in a purple haze as they floated on over to the toaster; Twilight made sure they were in perfect posture before she carefully inserted them in the two openings on the flat top. She set the time to ‘1:30’ and the power on ‘high’, and took a seat at the table to recollect herself while she waited for her breakfast to cook. The nightmares of last night begun to dominate her thoughts, showing no sign of withdrawal to her efforts to put the thoughts aside. Instead of fighting it, she decided to stare blankly at the wall with an aggravated look on her face. She even began reciting an old nursery foal song in her head.

My Little Pony, My Little Pony… What is friendship all about? My Little Pony, My Little Pony… Friendship is – ding! The recognizable smell of waffles drifted over the kitchen as Twilight came to realize her waffles were finally finished. She traced her steps back, remembering explicitly that she followed the directions word-for-word as they were on the box. There was no possible way that she could have messed this up. They were toaster waffles for crying out loud. Unplugging the toaster, she rubbed her hooves together in anticipation as the smell of breakfast taunted her increasing hunger. She floated a plate over to the counter, and flipped the toaster upside down to force the waffles out onto the plate.

“WHAT IN THE-”

-

“So, let me get this straight darling,” Rarity summarized. “Because you burned your waffles this morning, you came all the way here for… What? Breakfast?” Twilight shook her head meekly.

“Actually… I came here to talk to you about something else,” she said, dropping her voice. “About last night.”

“Oh, not a problem,” she answered. “So, why would you need to talk to me about it?” she asked, a trace of suspicion in her voice.

“Nopony else knows about our relationship except you, Rarity,” she explained. “I don’t want it getting around town.”

“Why not? You two are the cutest couple - ”

“That’s precisely why…” Twilight whispered, averting her eyes to the ground in a mix of guilt and disappointment. “I’m not sure I can return her feelings for me.” A tear came to Twilight’s eye. Not even the carefree chirping of the morning birds or refreshing air of spring could divert her overwhelming flow of emotions and confusion.

“Oh, you don’t…?” Rarity observed. “Why not, darling?” she asked compassionately, trying to split the unicorn’s grief. Again, she found herself in another undesirable situation. She felt how Twilight must have felt during the whole Photo Finish incident a year since. Now, knowing both sides of the story, she was torn in two. She couldn’t tell Twilight about how Rainbow feels, and the inverse was also true. All she could do to moderate their feelings was to lie. Luckily, she was a good liar.

“I just… I’m not into mares that way,” she whispered. A settling gust of wind stroked her coat and mane. “Even if I was… I just… Oh.” She didn’t have the temperament to tell her exactly how she feels. Rarity understood. She crawled herself over to the purple unicorn, wrapping an arm around her neck and patting her mane, comforting her like she was her child. Tears were flowing freely down her cheeks.

“It’s okay, Twilight,” she assured. “I’m sure Rainbow will understand.” Rarity bit her lower lip, thankful that she couldn’t see her bad poker face.

“H-Help me?” Twilight stuttered, unable to retain her composure. “I don’t have the h-heart to t-tell her myself.” She hiccupped and slurred her last five words, whatever poise she had been lost.

“Would you be so kind to talk it out with me? Maybe… We don’t have to go that far.” Twilight nodded slowly. “Just take a deep breath and calm down...” she continued in a relaxing voice.

“Well, you see…” she began. “Even before last night, I’ve been feeling that she’s had some sort of feeling for me. Ever s-since I’ve moved into Rainbow’s house, she’s been s-showing me a different side of herself. Instead of h-her normal, outgoing, proud self, she’s been more negligent and t-tolerant towards me… L-like, instead of calling me ‘egghead’, she calls me T-Twilight or Twilee.

“A couple nights ago, s-she openly told me she l-loved me, but I wasn’t sure it was t-that kind of love.” Her cheeks were submerged in tears. She wasn’t sure they were all hers. “I t-thought I l-loved her too, but… Oh, I just don’t know…”

Rarity brought her in closer, running a hoof through Twilight’s mane in an attempt to calm her down. “That’s okay, Twilight…” she whispered, embracing Twilight like a foal. “I’m sure if you tell Rainbow, she’ll understand that it isn’t time yet, okay?” Twilight nodded and smiled for the first time since last night.

The leaves around the pegasus brushed away as she took silent flight from behind the tree, a small puddle of tears on the ground.