• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 8,139 Views, 311 Comments

Your Wings Were Made For Angels - Still Breeze



When the universe is in trouble, it's going to take more than the magic of friendship to save it.

  • ...
30
 311
 8,139

Dead Race

Chapter 6: Dead race

The blood was mopped up rather quickly and Twilight’s sorrow had calmly dried up and she was now humming a cheery tune as she carried the mop with magic in front of her. It slapped loudly on the wood and sent water cascading over the red stain. Effortlessly, the blood withdrew from the wood fibres thanks to some sort of strong cleaning solution. The two didn’t speak while they worked. Cantor had made his discomfort about discussing his story clear and Twilight was happy to comply, though a little worried her assistant hadn’t exited the bathroom yet.

Once all of the red had been cleared, twilight emptied the tinted water in the bucket outside through the window. Who knows, maybe alicorn blood would be good for plants. She replaced the empty pale inside her utilities cupboard in the kitchen. “Thanks for helping me.” She spoke as Cantor poured a second bucket of his own bloody water onto the garden.

“No worries!” He called as he watched his life fluid soak into the soil.

Twilight nodded and drew herself up to the door to the bathroom. The sound of water sloshing could be heard from inside.

“Spike?” she called, pressing her ear up against the door… no reply. “Are you okay in there?”

“Yeah, twilight, I’m fine.” Came a voice that was a mixture of relief and shame.

“Can I come in?” She asked.

“NO! Don’t come in!” He answered quickly.

“Is something the matter?”

“No, Twilight, I’m okay, really.”

“Well… okay then… Enjoy your bath.” Twilight started away from the door and towards Cantor.

Spike mumbled some kind of response as he dabbled his purple claw in the cold, deep red water.

“You look like you could use a bath too.” Twilight said to Cantor. The way she spoke made it seem like more of an order than a suggestion.

“Oh, don’t worry about that, Twilight. I don’t want to use all of your hot water.” The white stallion replied, his left leg and the end of his tail matted with congealed blood.

“No.” Twilight replied sternly. “If I’m going to take you to Canterlot, especially to see the princess, I don’t want you to be seen covered in blood.”

“I guess so…” Cantor replied, uncomfortable about using somepony else’s waterworks. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Replied Twilight humbly. “Spike should be finished soon though.”

After showing Cantor where the mop bucket lives in the cupboard in the kitchen, Twilight returned to the door of the bathroom. “Spike?” She called “Are you done in there? Other ponies need to use the bathroom too.” She hadn’t used the toilet all morning and was beginning to feel desperate. When there came no reply, she became irritated. “Spike! I really need to use the toilet. Are you going to be much longer in there?” Again, there was no reply, just the sound of dabbling water. “Spike!?” She moaned, when all of a sudden her impatience gave way to worry. “Are you okay?” When silence greeted her once again, she instinctively unlocked the door from the other side with her magic and tore it open. She gasped in shock. More blood. Everywhere, all around the sink, splashes of it up the wall and at the end of the small room, her baby assistant remained motionless, staring into space in the bathtub filled with the redness.

She screamed and ran out of the room. Cantor quickly appeared in the doorway to see what the matter was. His reaction was drawn more to the cowering dragon in the bathtub. “Spike!” He yelled in shock. The dragon hid his face with his claw and turned away to face the wall. “What the hell happened!?” He shouted breathlessly.

“I’m sorry!” Pleaded Spike. “Please don’t hurt me!”

Cantor was taken back. Spike thought he was angry about what he had done to Cantor’s leg, even though it didn’t hurt in the slightest now, and even if it did, could find no room for hate in his heart. “I’m not going to hurt you!” He couldn’t say this fast enough.

The purple dragon looked up at him. “Y-You’re not?” He asked meekly.

“Of course not.” Cantor replied softly. Something in his voice dispelled Spike’s fear.

Cantor craned his neck around the corner and peeked into the long, thin kitchen where Twilight stood pressed up against the back wall. He returned his head to the bathroom to see spike watching him with anticipation. “I think we’d better get this place cleaned up.” He said as he watched the purple dragon pull the plug from the tub, causing yet more of his blood to drain away to Celestia knows where.

Spike clambered over the side of the bath. For the amount of time he had sat in the blood-water, Cantor noticed a congealed line around the dragon’s chest, similar to the one that coated the rim of the bath. He could only pray that the young dragon didn’t pick up some sort of disease from his blood.

“Let’s clean this room, and then I think you should have a second bath.” Cantor spoke, leaning down to Spike’s height.

“Okay.” The dragon replied. “...I’m really sorry I bit you.” He added after a pause.

“Pft! An understatement!” Thought Cantor privately. “It’s okay, you were just defending Twilight. I commend your heroism.” He replied aloud. Spike smiled childishly at the compliment. “Now. What should we use to clean up the bathroom?” Cantor asked Spike, genuinely not knowing what you use to clean sinks and walls. Without hesitation, the baby dragon dove into the cupboard and brought out some rags and a bottle of bleach.




“...Good as new!” Spike declared, standing with his fists on his hips, a blotchy red rag hung from his right. The pair checked around the bathroom, satisfied that it was as clean as it was that morning. The red line had been wiped from the sides of the bath and it was already running with steamy water and soap that produced wonderfully pink and fragrant bubbles.

The two stood in silence for a few minutes, watching the water level rise in the tub and the population of suds multiply. Cantor interrupted the sound of running water and said to Spike, without looking at him: “I’m gonna go check on Twilight.”

Spike waited a moment, examining the last source of blood that clung tightly to the stallion’s leg before replying “Okay.” with a little nod of approval.

Cantor turned and left the baby dragon to watch his soak build. As he crossed in front of the mirror, he glanced at his lower leg. “Oh, boy…” He thought. His leg really was in a state. The blood wasn’t consistent on the limb like spike’s was, instead it formed blotchy splashes and trails that infected his long tail. He stepped through the doorway to the kitchen and noticed Twilight was now stirring a cup of practically black tea with a teaspoon glowing purple. She was staring intently at the cup and ignored her visitor. Cantor picked up on her worry and relieved her by explaining that Spike was fine, given a little shaken.

Twilight sighed heavily and her eyelids dropped as did her head. The magical aura dispersed form the metal spoon, leaving it dead in the cup. “You really like your tea, huh?” Cantor joked, seeing how down Twilight looked, he gave a miserable attempt to make her laugh. The plum coloured unicorn shook her head slowly, her straight fringe gently swaying with it.

“What’s wrong?” Cantor asked.

“It’s all my fault.” Twilight replied after a quick sigh. “If I hadn’t overreacted, none of this would have happened.” She let out another, painfully long sigh.

Cantor stepped closer to Twilight, her eyes remained closed. He placed a gentle hoof on her tender cheek and turned her head to face his. Not realising what he had done until he had done it, cantor lost where he was going with this. It just seemed like the right thing to do… something a friend would do…

Twilight’s eyes slowly opened halfway, revealing those beautiful violet circles, allowing just enough of the stallion to fill her vision.

Cantor smiled ever so slightly, but it showed so much care, especially when he spoke. “It’s nopony’s fault. Things like this just… happen…” Twilight’s eyes widened as the deeper meaning of that line sunk in, her eyes sparkling in the daylight.

What Cantor had done just then... Twilight couldn't help but fell a heightened level of affection for her new friend, something she had never really felt before, of course, she never really gave a matter such as this much thought before turning back to her studies. And now there was this new stallion in her life, filling her heart with emotions she wasn't sure if she liked. She was lost in deep thought, she concluded that the best thing to do would be to allow time to play it's mysterious part.

Cantor then broke the moment. “Bathroom’s free.” He announced, jerking his head backward towards the doorway.
Twilight quickly collected herself and rushed past Cantor out of the long kitchen. “Spike!” She called, in a lightly threatening tone as she approached the doorway to the room of relief and pulled the it open to reveal the room exactly how she was used to it.




After another basin of steaming water had been run, Cantor shut off the tap and slowly submerged his blood-covered leg into the piping hot liquid. Almost instantly, the blood started flaking off into the water and settling on the bottom of the tub. He sighed in pleasure as the hot moisture soothed his muscles. He took his turn of the bath last, insisting that Twilight should take the time to relax after her ordeal.

He proceeded to place his left foreleg into the water at the head of the bath, followed by his right rear leg and finally his other foreleg. He stood there, shin-deep in scolding water – just the way he liked it – and gradually extended his wings as far as they would go without knocking ornaments from shelves. He had forgotten just how big his wings were until he removed his vest and carefully placed it onto the closed lid of the toilet. The room could barely accommodate half of his wingspan and he felt the tips of his outermost feathers brush the green striped walls.

He sighed in comfort as he slowly and gently flapped his enormous appendages, agitating the air a little before folding them back onto his body and lowering himself into the bath. He rolled over onto his back awkwardly and let the water run over his body. For a moment, he lay there, eyes closed, soaking up the moisture that tugged at his bloody fur.

Cantor lifted his left leg, so he could see the base of it. Already, it was starting to look much better; the crusty black pieces of scab had mostly fallen off and his fur was died a healthy-looking pink. He sat up, the bathtub could barely contain his body; it was fine for twilight, but Cantor was easily twice her size. Returning his leg to the water, he began to rub softly at the injury, slowly but surely, his leg became as brilliantly white as it had been before. The discolouration of a scar formed a seven inch jagged line down the back of his cannon. Cantor then set to work on his tail, this one was a little harder, the blood had stuck large clumps of hair together and it took some soaking and whatever was in one of Twilight’s green bottles in the cabinet above the sink to loosen it up.

Before long, Cantor was clean and all of the blood had died the now cooler water a pale scarlet. He raised himself from the tub and, with a playful salute, pulled the plug on the last reminders of his conflict as they swirled into the black plughole. He stood there for a while, slowly drying his body and hair with a pink towel. How all this femininity didn’t rub off on Spike, he didn’t know. He admired what he could of himself in the floor-to-ceiling mirror on the wall. He liked long hair and his was very long, indeed. It hung from his neck in scraggly light brown – nearly orange – spikes, not that short of brushing the floor when he stood. It genuinely looked ‘cool’. Half of his face was hidden behind an equal degree of messiness that fell to one side in sharp bangs. To his rear, the tail was less impressive; it took on the same traits as his mane, but it was nothing special, though any other style would make the stallion look ridiculous.

He slid his vest on over his head and forearms at the same time using the magic he was now much more confident with. Twilight had explained that magic only went wrong when you lost control. Nothing really bad happens unless you want it to.

After his clothing was successfully fitted, and the right way around, Cantor unlocked the bathroom door and opened it to reveal an eager-eyed Twilight.

“Ready!?” She asked excitedly, bearing something on a plate which floated beside her.

“Right now?” Cantor questioned in response to the mare’s strange enthusiasm.

“Well… I made you some breakfast. I didn’t know if you’d already eaten, but I made some for Spike anyway.” She beamed.

Cantor’s eyes fell upon what was laying on the plate. Two pieces of brown bread, golden with butter and cut diagonally into large triangles steamed invitingly on it. Being the over-polite person that he was, Cantor declined, his stomach however, cried out in protest, making the two ponies laugh.

“Where’s Spike?” Cantor asked before taking his first ever bite of food in Equestria.

“He’s just upstairs with his breakfast. He doesn’t like eating his proper meals in front of anypony.” Twilight replied. Cantor continued to chew the toast for a moment, swallowed and then took a second bite. Whatever that bread was, it was damn good. He would have to ask Twilight where she got it from.

“So, what do you want to talk to the princess about?” Twilight queried.

Cantor finished chewing and swallowed, setting his glowing toast down on the plate which sat on it’s own on the coffee table.

“Well,” He began, wiping some crumbs from around his lips. “I’d like to know what an ‘Elemental’ is.” Twilight looked away, ashamed. “There has to be some sort of reason why you reacted like that…” He was genuinely curious and hoped he wasn’t making Twilight feel uncomfortable or pressured.

“An Elemental ,” Twilight started, “is an extremely powerful pony. There were few of them, but enough.” She turned back to Cantor, who was listening intently. “There were four types of Elementals, they each controlled their own element; air, water, Earth, and fire.”

“So what’s the problem?” Cantor asked.

“Well, princess Celestia told me about the last Elemental, he controlled air.”

“What about him?”

“She said he was power-hungry and incredibly violent, just like the other Elementals… Oh, but not you…” Twilight blushed.

“Did he die?”

“Yes. The princess-“ Twilight stopped herself from saying it, but the damage of the unspoken words had already been done.”

Cantor looked down. “Oh, so I guess she doesn’t really take kindly to the likes of me?”

Twilight grew pitiful. “Of course not!” She cried. “I’m sure the princess will understand when we explain everything.”
“I sure hope so…” Replied cantor, taking another soft bite of toast.




The trio left the tree house and Twilight locked the door behind her and tucked the key with the shape of a heart at the end into her striped mane somehow. The morning had grown old whist they got better acquainted with one another and Twilight’s plan had mostly gone out the window. It pained her to say it, but she didn’t care. Other ponies had ventured outside by now and were tending to their duties. Though ‘working’ was at hand – or at ‘hoof’ – it seemed to be rather pleasurable tasks such as watering gardens, cutting grass or working at various street stalls. Everypony seemed happy: for they had no reason not to be.

Cantor walked by Twilight’s side as they crossed the town centre. A line of brightly coloured ponies queued out of the door to Sugarcube bakery, the alicorn pony spotted a light blue unicorn in the queue. Her mane and tail were thick stripes of blue and white and she had an hourglass cutie mark glowing in the sun. “Is her name really Colgate?” Cantor asked himself silently as he watched the line of patient ponies take a step forward.

Overhead, some of the pegasi were arranging the clouds into a casual fluffy field with no particular pattern. He hoped he would see Rainbow Dash up there, but she was probably asleep somewhere instead! For late autumn as Celestia had said, it was a really nice day, the sun was shining, there were birds singing and everypony wore a genuine smile, which radiated warmth in themselves, a nice touch to the general mumble of the town which rose above the bustling streets.

The two ponies and the dragon were heading out to Canterlot. They would travel by train. Twilight offered to pay for Cantor herself and he would have refused, if he had any money, he kept promising Twilight he would pay her back however he could, whenever he could. She insisted that it wasn’t necessary, but Cantor explained how bad he felt about using her money. When they reached the train station and Twilight booked two adult tickets and one child one, Cantor reassured her for the millionth time that she would get the money back… somehow…




“Ah!” Cantor gasped in surprise as the steam train abruptly pulled out of the station before falling into a constant, comfortable speed alongside the empty fields and forests. Twilight could easily see that her new friend was nervous, after all, she had implied the princess finished off the last of his kind, but she would definitely listen to her ‘faithful student’. She reassured him with this notion and he perked up a little. Other passengers on the train kept giving the group mixed expressions, some gave Cantor the wary eye, others looked scared at his size; his horn nearly touched the roof of the train from where he sat. some ponies looked alluringly at the well – built stallion to which he gave them an unamused smile and nod, acknowledging their movements, but discarding them as well.

“Sooo…” Twilight Sparkle said, trying to think of something to talk about in the duration of the twenty-five minute ride. “When…” She started, “When we get back, would you be able to help me with some of my jobs? If you don’t mind, that is.”

“Of course.” Replied Cantor. “It’s the least I could do.”

“Think of it as payment for the ticket!” Twilight joked.

The pair giggled to themselves. Over the din of the other passengers, conversation was still fairly easy.

“Whoa!...” Cantor awed when an enormous city made of clouds rose into view when the train emerged from a tunnel carved through the mountain.

“That’s Cloudsdale; a city inhabited entirely by the pegasus ponies.” Twilight lectured like a tour guide. Cantor wasn’t really paying attention to her, rather marvelling at the jet black storm clouds that crowded one side of the city, occasionally rumbling with lightning when just next to them, waterfalls of rainbow hued liquid cascaded from the edges of the clouds and faded into the sky below. It was definitely a sight to be seen, as most of the other passengers were gaping at the city themselves, all except one older – looking male pony, who had fallen asleep on the short journey and another one, a dark blue unicorn stallion who wore a tight business suit and held a paper in front of his face with magic.

“I can’t wait to see Canterlot!” Exclaimed Cantor enthusiastically, he felt like when he took the tube into London back home, some people were tourists, others were joyless businessmen and women who only cared about mortal things. Home… this was his home now, in Equestria. And he would never go back, even if he had the chance…

“It’s quite a city…” Explained Twilight. “Though the ponies there are a little…. ‘different’ to the ones in Ponyville.”

“How do you mean?” Cantor asked.

“Well, let’s just say that they don’t see differences as a form of uniqueness, rather something that is… wrong.” Though she tried to pick her words carefully, the message was clear.

“Oh…” Cantor said with a dole tone.

“Don’t let them get to you.” Twilight added, drawing her eyesight to the bulges at his side. No matter how much she tried, she couldn’t extinguish the fact that they were wings, making this pony a god in her eyes.

“Don’t worry, I won’t.” Cantor smiled at twilight before turning his head to the window once more, seeing nothing but clouds and sloping valleys streching endlessly into the distance.




Before long, the train had begun to slow until it drew to a stop at the Canterlot station. The train would be departing in five minutes again to Ponyville, so the platform was bustling with busy ponies rushing to and from work on business errands. Cantor was shoved and pushed more than enough times to cause aggravation and he was sure one time that a jumped-up little brown Earth pony was about to say something before he frowned down at him through his piercing orange eyes and made the short pony think that confronting somepony nearly three times his size wasn’t a good idea and scurried along, even though Cantor wouldn’t have done anything anyway.

Spike was riding on Twilight’s back as he could easily become lost or trampled under the frantic hooves. Gradually the trio cleared the station and approached the city gates, the drawbridge was already lowered and a couple of unicorns were crossing it. Twilight shot a friendly smile towards the familiar guards that stood in armour atop the battlements, returning the greeting. The same, however could not be said for Cantor as the guards frowned down upon him while he crossed the huge wooden door. He grinned foalishly and stayed close to Twilight’s side. The cobbled streets underhoof felt strange, slightly uncomfortable and he admitted that he much preferred the dirt roads around Ponyville, both for comfort and rustic aesthetics.

A few discerning stares from ponies around didn’t make the alicorn feel unwelcome or embarrassed, rather, it made him feel peeved at the fact that these ponies had nothing better to do than to gawp at other ponies brave enough to be individuals. As the disapproving gazes burned into him, he met them with an equally fiery stare, making the upper class look anywhere but the discs of amber that stared them down. His pleasure that other ponies saw him as a ‘power figure’ was countered by the thought that he may also be being viewed as a potentially dangerous individual, which was far from his intention.

Once the trio had ambled down the cobblestones and into the gardens, light conversation was established. “So, Cantor...” Spike piped up, being unusually silent until now. “Where do you live?” Twilight and Cantor both sighed simultaneously and also spoke for the stallion at the same time.

“He doesn’t have a place.”

“I Don’t have a home.”

Cantor’s way of putting it made it sound much more grim than it actually was, he was perfectly happy to sleep out under the night sky, watching the stars make their journey around the Earth. In fact, thinking about it, he kind of looked forward to that concept unit Twilight broke the illusion.

“You can stay at the library if you like.” She said, facing Cantor.

“That’s awfully kind of you, Twi… light, but you’ve already done so much for me.” He replied.

“Well what else were you going to do? Sleep outside?” She laughed.

“Actually, I was kind of liking that idea.” He replied seriously. Spike and Twilight met his statement with even more laughter until they realised that he was sincere.

“Seriously?” She asked, cocking her head and frowning. Cantor simply closed his eyes briefly and nodded to the question.

“Are you sure?” She asked compassionately. “You can sleep in my bed.” She finished with half-closed eyes.

“OH, WELL – Uh!” Cantor said loudly, raising his head above the unicorn, “I, uh… have always been a fan of the night sky. It’s umm… it’s rather beautiful to stargaze, don’t you think?” His voice slowly returned to it’s regular volume, but sustaining a certain degree of embarrassment. His cheeks glowed red as he tried and failed to force ‘ideas’ out of his mind.

Twilight caught on to his discomfort and said with the slightest note of disappointment in her voice “I guess so… Well, okay… if that’s what you want…” Cantor wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. It may have been from the heat, but the teenage stallion knew otherwise.




Approaching a long marble pathway lined with a shin – high hedgerow, the three broke free of the dappled tree line and into the hot sun. As they walked down the smooth path, Cantor grew wary of the two white pegasi laced with shiny golden armour sceptically watching them approach. Twilight whispered upwards to cantor “I’ll do the talking, okay?” Cantor replied with a stiff nod and turned his attention to the magnificent castle. Before Twilight could say a word, the guard on the left spoke up.

“Hey, Twilight. Good to see you. Who’s your friend?” Simply by the way he spoke, Cantor could tell he was a likeable pony; he came across as kind and seemed genuinely happy to see the purple unicorn.

“This is Cantor, we need to see the princess on a highly important matter.” She spoke for him.

“Well, pleased to meet you, Cantor!” The guard said happily, extending a hoof.

As Cantor took it and shook gently, he knew he wanted to get to know this pony better. He wondered if there were pubs and bars in Ponyville, and indeed if there was an age restriction. Cantor mimicked the guard’s welcoming smile as the one in gold said “Go right ahead, you guys. I’ll notify princess Celestia of your arrival.” He pulled a lever behind him and the metal gate slid up into the stone, revealing sweeping white walls and spires that stretched out over the valley, as if the castle were trying to reach the other side.

Twilight graciously thanked both armoured pegasi and stepped trough the archway. Cantor went to follow her and Spike when the Guard who looked around his age drew him into eye contact. The younger guard poked his head through the doorway and eyed Twilight’s pert flank. Cantor noticed this and was about to say something before the white pegasus returned his blue eyes to Cantor’s lively orange ones and raised his eyebrows so they briefly disappeared into the top of his golden helmet as if to say “What do you think?” Cantor narrowed his eyes into a disapproving and disgusted glare, and the pegasus was forced to avert his eyes. The white alicorn turned away and stepped through the doorway and brought himself up to Twilight’s side. Sure, he was as immature as anypony around his age, but he wasn’t a disrespectful pervert. Especially towards a pony with such natural and inner beauty.




“Twilight Sparkle! What a lovely surprise!” Said princess Celestia contently. “And who is this?” she asked looking towards the larger white stallion who followed trough the partially open door. He was roughly the same height as her sister, but more well built.

Seeing Twilight and Spike bow down to the floor, Cantor quickly followed them before returning to stand with Twilight. “This is Cantor, he only just showed up this morning.” Explained Twilight in an overly ‘calm’ voice.

“Hello there, Cantor.” The princess addressed the white ‘unicorn’

Cantor just stood there, smiling stupidly until Twilight gently jammed a rear hoof into one of his back legs. “Oh, uh… Good morning, your majesty.” He replied shakily. The princess chuckled, nopony except her guards had called her ‘your majesty’ for a while now.

“So what brings you two here?” Asked the princess.

“Uh, what about me?” Spike piped up, feeling left out.

“Of course, Spike.” The princess corrected herself, “What brings you three here today?” Spike placed his hands proudly on his hips.

“Well princess,” Twilight started, “it’s about Cantor here.”

“Is that so?” The white female alicorn replied peacefully.

“Yes, you see…” She paused, thinking whether this was a good idea or not. She quickly decided that is was and continued: “See, when he arrived at my library this morning, he didn’t know where he lived and he couldn’t even remember his name.” Twilight hoped she didn’t have to bring about the topic of what he was, she much preferred to talk about who he was instead.

“I see.” The princess replied.

“So we were wondering if you could help him out.” Twilight finished.

“And what would you possibly need help with?” Celestia asked.

“Well, he-“ Twilight began before being interrupted by the princess.

“Twilight Sparkle,” She said softly, not coming across rude at all. “Let the young gentlecolt speak for himself.”

At this point, cantor felt himself turning red but at the same time, really quite nervous. He reassured himself that this mare was a caring and gentle creature and wouldn’t hurt a fly. “Oh, but that doesn’t mean she couldn’t.” He thought to himself as he began to speak. “W – well, your majesty-“

“Please, you’re a friend; call me Princess, or Celestia, or both if you so desire!” She started chuckling at her own little joke but it was severed short by what Cantor said next…

“What about Tia?” He asked.

Celestia stared in shock. “What?” She asked in disbelief.

The word “Fuck.” Appeared so vividly in Cantor’s mind that he could have sworn he saw the text fly across the room. He didn’t know why he said it, why he even thought of it, it just… came out.

“Only my family know that name, absolutely nopony else knows me like that.” The princess started with a harsh and accusing tone as she raised herself from her throne

. “Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Oh, shit…” Were the only thoughts rushing through Cantor’s head as he desperately tried to force out some form of reasonable excuse.

“How do you know of that name?” She frowned as she said this.

Cantor, being as hopeless as he is let another stupid thing escape his lips. “Lucky guess?” He answered. The princess frowned more intently, instilling great fear into Cantor.

“Look, can we just get some help, princess, he doesn’t mean any harm.” Twilight chimed in before shooting a reassuring glance at Cantor.

“What’s wrong with his back?” The princess asked accusingly.

“They’re from an accide-“

“Let him speak for himself.” The princess interrupted.

“There from an accident when I was a colt.” Cantor answered dryly.

“What kind of accident?”

“Stagecoach. It wasn’t pretty.”

“Let me see.” Demanded Celestia.

Cantor froze and broke into a cold sweat. “I – I can’t.” He replied.

“Do you have something to hide?” Celestia asked, backing Cantor into a theoretical corner.

“N – no.” He replied shakily.

“Then show me.” Demanded the princess a second time.

Cantor eyed Twilight hopefully but she gave him a look as if to say “Might as well.”, in all fairness, Cantor didn't know what else to expect to do. He slowly felt around behind his vest and lifted it from atop his right wing and equally as slowly drew it forward until all of his wing was visible. Spike gasped and Celestia somehow glared even more.

“Who are you?” She asked bitterly.

“The one who’s going to save your ass.” The alicorn replied just as coldly.

“How dare you?” Celestia growled, rasing herself from her throne with an air of impending doom.

“WAIT!” Came a cry from a certain purple unicorn as Celestia took a menacing step towards Cantor. “He’s special.” She said.

“In what way?” the princes forcefully asked. By now the four guards in the room had surrounded Cantor, but the only thing concerning him was the princess. This wasn’t the same one he’d met; this princess was quick to anger and unwilling to listen calmly.

“He’s an Elemental.” Twilight replied in defeat, her last option exhausted and the outcome could go two ways, and it took a turn for the worst.

The princess’ horn began to glow and Cantor felt a strong invisible clamp around his neck as he lifted off of the floor and was thrown with great force into one of the stone pillars at the edge of the wall. Cantor sunk to the floor, but managed to steal a glimpse of Twilight being forced from the room by the two grey unicorns’ magic. She struggled to free herself from their grasp to no avail. “Princess! Please! Listen!” She cried as Cantor hopelessly watched his fearful friend get dragged through two large doors at the end of the room, her assistant clinging tightly to her neck as she screamed to be released. Cantor raised himself from the floor and barely lifted a hoof in the direction of the doorway Twilight was pulled into before he was tackled to the ground by two solid white pegasi.

Cantor just saw the two doors slam shut behind Twilight, but he could still hear her screaming. Celestia stepped in front of his vision and bent her neck down so she was staring straight into Cantor’s soul.

“You’re all the same.” She snarled, her usually sweet voice replaced by some gruff monster. “You're not going to make me remember, and I’m not taking any chances.”

She raised her head and began walking away from the pinned alicorn. Knowing what would come next, Cantor played his last resort.

“I’m the Rife!” He spoke loudly, not quite a shout, yet loud enough to show the desparation.

Princess Celestia froze in place. “What?” She asked slowly, her voice instilled with fear and disbelief.

“You heard me.” Cantor snapped back.

A torturous few seconds of silence past before the princess finally spoke, yet when she did, Cantor failed to judge whether he would be more or less scared now. “Guards, you are dismissed. Please leave this room. Now.” Celestia’s words carried an unrelenting sense of pressurised rage.

“But – your majesty-“ One of the guards started to speak.

“Get. Out.” Celestia interrupted with a voice that shocked even herself. Cantor barely felt the pegasi move from on top of him before the main door to the throne room was forcefully shut, sending a loud echo ricocheting off the stone walls and stained glass windows. The room fell silent, both ponies allowing the roaring echo to cease before Celestia spoke.

“What do you know of the Rife?” She asked, her hatred replaced with deep concern.

“I know that it has something to do with the end of the world.” Cantor replied softly, gazing up at the princess from his spot on the floor. His anger had been quelled too. “I’m from the future, from my world; parallel to yours. The future version of yourself came and took me away and told me the basics of what I needed to know.”

“And did she – I tell you that my name is Tia?”

“No, in my universe, your entire world and it’s inhabitants are characters made in the hearts and souls of writers and dedicated fans. Princess, there is so much more to everything you or I understand. I know nearly every detail about this world, only having been in it for a few hours. I understand you may have had some conflicts with these ‘Elementals’ in the past. But I promise I’m different.” Celestia closed her eyes and a single tear fell from each, landing on the polished stone floor with a quiet ‘splash’, her lifelong fears finally confirmed. “Princess, I am willing to do anything to save this paradise, but I still need your help to tell me everything that is going on.” Celestia sighed deeply. “Can you accept my friendship?” Cantor asked heartfully, extending a shaking hoof from where he laid on the floor.

He closed his eyes and rested his head on the cold ground. He opened them slowly and brought his head back up when he felt a gentle pressure on his outstretched limb. He gazed up into the understanding purple eyes of the princess, they were glistening with tears, as were his.

“Cantor,” She started, “Can you ever forgive me for how I acted earlier?” Cantor couldn’t help but beam into her forgiving eyes.

“Princess,” He declared, “I already have…”




Twilight paced in the room she was being held captive in, her anger was overpowering her sorrow. Anything could be happening in that room. Her princess could be torturing her friend that instant, she could have already killed him and moved onto the next thing in her day. Or, they could be making friends, discussing the questions he wanted answered. She could only hope that the latter was true. Spike sat on the edge of the bed and watched his thumbs chase each other in the cup of his claws.

The room was some sort of spare bedroom, one of the many hundreds scattered throughout the castle, very seldom occupied. It contained little furnishings, simply a tall four-poster bed, a wardrobe and a desk, as well as a few ornimental pleasantries like large gold-framed mirrors and an on-suite bathroom to the right of a rather fetching balcony. Twilight glared at the grey unicorn standing at the side of the door, and he glared back. She continued to pace, mulling over thoughts and assumptions which gradually became worse over time. She paced some more, and some more until the feint sound of clopping came through the closed door somewhere down the hallway. She stepped closer to the door and the unicorn stepped in to block her path. She listened to the hoofsteps grow louder and she could hear muffled voices, one definitely belonged to the princess, and the other, sounded like a young male’s voice. She hoped and prayed that it would be Cantor and then she heard his distinct voice.

She didn’t know what he said and she didn’t care, but it was definitely him! Upon hearing the voices himself, Spike hopped from the bed and joined Twilight at her side. The hoofsteps grew louder and louder until they stopped. The large wooden door opened a fraction and the guard raised his ear to whomever was talking from the other side. He nodded and closed his eyes, opening both doors fully with his magic to reveal princess Celestia and Cantor both smiling.

Twilight let out a cry of joy and relief as she charged over and flung her arms around Cantor’s neck. He returned the embrace. “What’s all this?” He asked as Twilight squeezed him.

“I – I thought you-“ She began, though she knew she could never find the words.

“Hey, it’s okay. Don’t worry about me!” Cantor replied gently, letting go of the purple unicorn.

“It turns out that our friend here really is special.” Celestia commented. “He is something called a ‘perfect Elemental’.”

“What’s that?” Twilight quizzed.

“Somepony who can control all of the worldly elements. Maybe even at the same time…” The princess replied.

Twilight gazed at Cantor and he scuffed at the floor as if he was hiding something. “So what happens now?” The purple unicorn asked with a spike of regained confidence in her princess.

Celestia and Cantor met each other’s eyes and the princess nodded softly. Cantor turned back to his violet friend and said with affliction: “I’m sorry Twilight. You too Spike.” As he cast the dragon an apologetic look.

He turned to leave after the stone – coloured unicorn guard, but as he did, looked back to the princess and mouthed “Yeah” silently to her. She closed her eyes and nodded. She waited for the door to close behind her before she opened them again. “I’m sorry Twilight Sparkle, but this is for the best.”

“What’s going on?” Twilight panicked as the princess’ horn began to glow. A brilliant white light erupted into the room and a loud booming explosion was heard. Twilight and Spike screamed as the blinding light forced them to seal their eyes closed and a pain echoed around their heads. Cantor could hear the commotion from the outside and grimaced as he heard an anguished cry of pain from both Twilight and the baby dragon cut short.Once the light had faded and the dust had settled, The princess watched her faithful student as she slumped to the floor in a heap with her dragon compadre.