• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 8,114 Views, 311 Comments

Your Wings Were Made For Angels - Still Breeze



When the universe is in trouble, it's going to take more than the magic of friendship to save it.

  • ...
30
 311
 8,114

Questions And Answers

Chapter 8: Questions and answers

Later that evening, Pinkie and Cantor parted ways at the library after a more detailed scope of the town. Who knew that Rarity’s boutique dated back hundreds of years to a time where ponies still believed that “The mare in the moon” was a story of indubitable realism. And, even though it was proven to be true a couple of years ago, anypony who doubted it at that period of time would have been deemed insane. That was the past, though, and now the future was at stake. Cantor hated thinking about it, and he was rather successful in pushing the thoughts to the back of his mind. To the back of his mind; the troubling assumptions never truly left him. That night, he would travel to back to the castle. This time alone. And this time, in flight.

“So, I’ll see you some more tomorrow?” Asked a certain pink pony who bounced joyfully on the spot in front of the library where they both bid farewell for that day.

“Of course, Pinkie.” Cantor answered with a content smile. He did bond with Pinkie during their eventful day. He was a little disappointed in not meeting Rainbow Dash, and still hadn’t properly ‘forgiven’ Pinkie for how short she had been with the sensitive Fluttershy. And like the gnawing thoughts in the depths of his subconscious, he hoped Fluttershy didn’t take it to heart.

“See ya later!” She beamed and bounded towards the centre of town. The alicorn’s gaze followed her until she disappeared from sight around a corner. He looked up into the blazing sky. Was Celestia showing off?

“Maybe…” He quietly remarked and stepped through the door to the warm glow of the library’s pale lighting.

“Back so soon?” Asked Twilight, peering up from a plate of colourful vegetables and noodles, resting next to a dark blue book on her side stand. A crystal tumbler shallow with a deep golden liquid perched carefully was swiftly hidden by the book.

“I knew it.” Thought Cantor: “This girl was one of… refined tastes.”

“Hey, Twilight.” He spoke up and upon noticing her spa-pampered face and shimmering mane, he made sure to point out how… ‘nice’ she looked.

“Thank you, Cantor!” She sighed heavily. “At least somepony noticed!” She continued, shooting a glance in the direction of where Spike was washing up, making her voice easily loud enough to show her displeasure in the dragon’s insensitivity.

“Yeah, yeah…” Came a distracted reply, along with the clatter of cutlery.

“Anything you need help with, Twilight?” Cantor asked, taking two steps closer.

“Thanks for offering, but” She went to take another sip of her liquor before assuming the stallion may find the act… unattractive. The opposite couldn’t have been more the truth though. “but I’ve got everything under control.” An elaborate “Ahem!” Was heard in the kitchen. Twilight and Cantor chuckled. “Well, Spike’s got everything under control!” She laughed.

“So, where are you staying tonight?” Asked Twilight, tilting her head slightly as she levitated another slice of cucumber into her mouth.

“I’m uh, camping…” Cantor replied.

“Camping?”

“Yeah, I… like camping?” The statement came out as more of a request than a statement.

“Whereabouts?” Twilight asked, swallowing and raising a carrot to her face.

“Outside… somewhere…” He replied weakly.

“Don’t you… don’t you want to stay here?” She asked, biting down on half the carrot and loud, muffled chomping ensued.

“I’m grateful, really Twilight, but I feel as if you’ve done so much for me already.”

“Done so much for you?” She asked, sounding surprised. “What have I done for you?”

This was the first time Cantor had to really try not to tell her the truth. He wanted her to know so badly, but at the same time, knew that it would create too much hassle. “Even just allowing me to be inside your home, close to you is more than enough.” This statement caused both ponies to fall silent and blush gently. The silence hung for a moment. And to Cantor’s relief, it was one of those blissful ‘nothing needs to be said’ silences.

“Well,” Cantor declared, breaking the mood, “I’d better get going, I can see you’re having dinner.” He smiled and turned around.

“Wait!” Twilight called out in a voice a little louder than usual, though far from a shout. “Aren’t you hungry?”

Cantor was, but he felt it necessary to decline. “I’m fine, but thank you, twilight.”

“A-are you sure?” She asked, leaning forward slightly in her armchair.

“Yes, thank you, Twilight.”

“Oh.. well, okay…” She replied, disappointed.

“I mean, if you want me to stay longer, I’m more than happy to.” He smiled, now actually feeling like he wanted to spend more time here. Not because he was hungry, nor was it because it was cold outside, but because he would be with Twilight. “Stop it, Cantor!” He scolded himself in his mind. “You’ve barely known her for half a day, and you already have… feelings?” He shook the clashing emotions from his mind.

“That would be lovely.” Twilight sighed.

Cantor smiled. He was warming to the idea of staying with Twilight a while longer, even though he still needed to go to the castle, but that could wait. What mattered now was the present.




Nightfall came soon after their meal. Cantor knew Twilight was happy to feed him, but he still couldn’t get over the fact that he felt as if he was ‘using’ her. She offered several times into the evening if he wanted to stay the night. And as always, Cantor passed. After another glass of her strong drink, which turned out to be an expensive single malt, simply named “Dawn”, Twilight became rather intoxicated, yet not enough to be noticeable unless you were close enough to her so you could catch the scent was on her breath. Cantor loved that name; ‘Dawn’. If only he liked strong drinks like that. He desired to be the kind of gentlecolt who sits in a red velvet room surrounded by old books with a cigar in one hand – or hoof – and a shallow glass of something expensive in the other. Warmed by a fire, chilled by his heart.

He shook the image from his mind and accompanied the unicorn up her stairs and into bed. She asked one last time if he wanted to stay and he laughed it off, making some crude comment on her being a lightweight. She giggled and rolled over in her bed, pulling the covers depicting the sky outside over her shoulders, burying her face into the pillow. Cantor smiled warmly as he observed the mare’s sheet’s ‘rise and fall’ motion gradually begin to slow. He went to step out of the room and down the staircase, but then he noticed an empty glass on the nightstand. With care in his eyes, he focused his power. A pearlescent glow with the slightest hint of magenta was the only light source, partially illuminating the darkened room. The glass began to softly bloom the same colour and fill with crystal-clear water. The alicorn filled the glass halfway and left it there, filtering the moonlight that flooded through the window. “Goodnight, Twilight.” He whispered as he turned to leave and he could have sworn he heard the same response towards him from the sleeping unicorn… But that would have been ridiculous…

“Hey, Spike,” the alicorn called out in a hushed voice, “need any help?” By now, he was fighting to not groan in agony as with every heartbeat, his bound wings grew more and more painful. That session with Twilight a minute ago did him no favours.

“No thanks, Cantor. Everything’s sorted.” He replied, hopping to the floor from a stool in front of the sink. He finished drying his claws on a dish cloth and discarded it on the counter. Cantor followed him over to a section of wall under the stairs. As the dragon seemed to slip his clawtips into the wall, exposing a feint line, he pulled, exposing a hidden draw filled with dazzling gemstones of all hues. Deep violet, blood red, rich sapphire, brilliant amber. The whole box seemed to glitter in the minimal light that populated the room.

“Wow!” Cantor gasped in awe. He observed Spike root around his stash before he withdrew a rather large pale orange topaz. He cringed as the dragon forced his dagger-like teeth through the gem and proceeded to crunch it up. It sounded as if he were eating glass.

“Doesn’t that hurt?” He asked the dragon who unsettled him even more by swallowing.

“No.” Spike replied, taking a second bite and talking with his mouth full. “Ih a ragon hing.”

“Okay then… I’ll see you tomorrow, Spike.” Cantor spoke, beginning to walk towards the door, attempting to remove the theoretical sensation of glass shredding his insides. Spike followed closely and chose to take his last opportunity to talk when Cantor opened the door with a slight flick of his head.

“Cantor?” He asked.

“Yes?” The stallion answered, turning round and arcing his neck down to bring his head just above Spike’s.

“Um… Do you know… uhhh, what I mean is um…” Cantor could see where this was going. “Do you have any tips on…” He paused.

“Girls?”
“Girls?”

Both boys said the word simultaneously. “Yeah.” Said Spike, beginning to blush.

“Well what do you want to know?” Cantor asked openly.

“What do you say to a girl on like… a first date.” His face only became redder as he spoke.

Cantor chuckled quietly. “Well,” He started, becoming ‘professor love’. “one thing that’s a definite is some sort of gift, you know, flowers, chocolates. Preferably both…” Spike pulled out a notepad and quill from seemingly nowhere and jotted down these instructions. Cantor watched him with a curious look until he finished and looked back up to Cantor with eager eyes.

“Next…” the alicorn said slowly. “Next you need to do something romantic, depending on who it is; a walk through a park or along a beach. Dinner in a quiet place is quite nice too.” Spike furiously jotted down this 'priceless' information. “And above all,” Cantor said, raising his voice a little and drawing his face closer to Spike’s with every word that followed, “Make. Her. Laugh.” Spike returned to his note-taking.

“Of course, those things work for more… sophisticated girls…” Cantor smirked and turned to face the outside world. “Like Rarity.” Spike’s scribbling ceased instantly and he looked up at Cantor, Face practically on fire. “Good night, Casanova.” Cantor joked. “Sleep well…” He stepped forward and out of the door into the night. He heard the sound of an embarrassed voice call “Night, Cantor!” followed by the sound of a door shutting hastily behind him. He smiled to himself, feeling that his first day in Equestria couldn’t have gone better any other way…




Cantor kept walking until he was right on the outskirts of town. Looking back, he could still see several windows radiating the soft glow of a table lamp. Fillies and colts would all be in bed and their parents would be enjoying the time they had together in front of a warm fire. The alicorn sighed. “What a perfect world…” He uttered as he walked. By now he had pretty much cleared the town and was stood atop an empty hill overlooking the sleepy village. The enormous moon watched over him; the brightest thing in the night sky, always there, watching over the world, only admired by ponies such as him. Cantor realised that he was quite tired himself, but, “No rest for the weary.” He thought.

As Cantor pulled the back of the vest from his wings with magic, they instantly sprung open and the most intense pain he had ever felt washed over his entire body, causing him to collapse into the soft ground. He rolled around, desperately trying not to scream in agony as the feeling of hours of blood deprivation thundered through his huge wings like a flamethrower. He bit hard onto his forearm and slammed the back of his head into the ground repeatedly in some feeble attempt to balance the pain. The stars above him seemed to flash brightly as the periphery of his vision pulsed red. He continued to writhe on the floor for another two minuses with the vest choking him around the neck until the searing pain finally began to subside.

Cantor lay there on his back, panting heavily on the moist grass. The only sound to be heard was the hammering of his heart in his ears. “Oh, God…” He whispered to the sky and rolled over with a heavy groan. He continued to lie there on his stomach, waiting for his heartbeat to return to normal, always fighting the urge to fall asleep. He blew out his breath through pursed lips and got to his hooves. He pulled the vest the rest of the way over his head and dropped it to the floor. Groaning, he stretched his wings as far as they would go until a pleasurable ‘pop’ loosened them up. But the bones still felt like rubber when he moved them.

“How hard can it be?” He questioned to himself, raising his wings above him. “Just flap and go, right?” Upon hearing silence, he swallowed nervously and forcefully pushed his wings down, sending the inexperienced flyer high into the air. “Yes!” He triumphed as his leap reached it’s peak. “No, no! no, no, no, no, NO!” Followed this as he fell upside down and plummeted back to Earth. He landed with a ‘thud’ on the ground, wings splayed out beneath him. “Right,” He began, comforting himself with his own words, “Let’s try that again!” Cantor furrowed his brow in concentration, a strong gust woke him up a little and the world became more in focus. He stuck his tongue out of the side of his mouth and raised his wings a second time. With great confidence, he bent his knees, threw his wings underneath him and rocketed into the sky. Focusing on keeping balance, he raised his wings a second time and flew even higher into the night sky.

His grin widened as he noticed the ground getting further away beneath him. A third pump, and a fourth, sending him higher into the air. “Now let’s try something new!” he growled in excitement as he leaned his body forward ever so slightly, keeping his feathered limbs outstretched horizontal. He began to move forwards slowly. He tilted forwards even more, increasing the speed. “No wonder Rainbow Dash spends her life in the sky!” he yelled happily; this was the best sensation in the world! Nothing to hold you back; just you, and the entire sky.

He levelled out again and banked to the left. “Flying is easy!” He thought as his view changed from fields and trees to the small village he came from. He swooped lower, not realising how fast he was actually going until he saw the ground racing towards him. He pulled up and sailed across Ponyville, screaming “WOO-HOO!!!” as he roared over rooftops. Cantor didn’t care if anypony saw him because all they would see would be a silhouette of a pony with enormous wings flying over the town.

Before he got too carried away, Cantor decided to begin making his way to the castle. He had agreed with Celestia that he would meet her that night to make everything clear and she had explained that she would tell her guards she was expecting a visitor and assured him that they would let him pass without any trouble. “Right.” Said Cantor, drawing himself to a halt in mid-air by turning his wings horizontal, then proceeding to hover badly until he found the correct amount of power to hang relatively still in the air. “Train station…” He muttered, scoping the town below. Last time he visited it with Twilight, there had been so many twists and turns that finding it again in the daytime would have been difficult, let alone in the dark!

Sighing, Cantor noticed he was hovering just a way away from the town centre; he could see the large dome of the town hall. During the tour he had a few hours ago, he was able to steal a peep inside. It was huge! Much bigger on the inside than it was out; a tardis in it’s own right…

He glided down and landed not so gracefully in a heap on the ground in the clearing. He was directly next to the fountain that ran through the night, helping the ponies sleep with it’s ambient trickling. Cantor relocated the overcrowded signpost pointing in all directions. An idea flashed across his mind; the ‘Canterlot’ sign was made from gold, it would be the easiest one to find out of them all. Grinning at this great idea, Cantor crossed over towards the tall, spiky post. Running his eyes down the arrows and then back to the top, he was met with the same clueless feeling he felt that morning. “Damn it…” He muttered under his breath. Cantor sighed as a very bad idea came to his mind. He frowned to his left, then to his right, making sure there was nopony hiding in any alleyways. Finally, he checked behind him, and satisfied that he was alone, imagined a small flame in front of his face.

An impossible fire burst into life in front of him and to his relief, was as small as he intended. Checking once more quickly around, Cantor raised the flame to the top of the signpost. It hadn’t even reached the top before the bent gold letters glinted in the flickering light. “Got it.” Said Cantor, clocking the direction in which the sign was pointing.

“Hey, you!” Came a strong male voice from behind Cantor. Faster than he thought possible, Cantor shot off into th night, extinguishing the flame and racing off towards the mountains, beating his wings so fast that the air whipping at his face was harsh enough to cause tears to form in the corners of his eyes. He turned around to see if anypony was following, but to his surprise, he could barely see Ponyville. He had flown so fast that he had covered easily a mile in a matter of seconds.

He paused for breath before climbing higher to scale the vertical mountain. “That was too close…” Cantor said, angry with himself for being so ‘un-stealthy’.

He crested the tip of the mountain and could just make out a beacon in the distance that Celestia had set up to show him the way. Cantor set off at a comfortable speed, still rather surprised at how easy flying was. Maybe it was thanks to his gargantuan wings, maybe because it simply wasn’t hard, like magic. These thoughts made him feel as if he was ‘cheating’ and he turned his mind back to cruising the refreshing night sky. Remarkable; flying has proven to be one of the most intense, exhilarating and awesome activities imaginable. But right now, Cantor felt more relaxed than he had done his entire life.




Princess Celestia paced back and forth in her royal bedroom with her sister laid on the bed watching her. The night air wafted around the room from the open balcony doors, causing the curtains to dance softly around. The room itself was cavernous: the ceiling much higher than it needed to be and windows covering one section of the far wall streched from the floor to the very high ceiling, creating a sort of 'natural painting' of the world outside, the view showing where Celestia's sun crested the horizon every morning without fail, now filed with deep blue sky with a plethora of milky white stars. The symbol of noght, a slighty cresent moon had completed half of it's journey across the sky and was the main provider of light for the world below at this moment in time.

“Sister, it’s fine. I know the Elementals were trouble in the past but if what he says is true, then he could be-“

“Trouble!?” Celestia interrupted, “Quite an understatement, little sister; the Elementals nearly destroyed the world!”

“And this one could save it!” Luna snapped back. “I’m… I’m sorry…” She added, hanging her head in shame.

Celestia sighed, “It’s okay, Luna. I understand your desperation, but you have to remember that if the two other perf-“ She was cut off by the sound of a fluster of feathers and orange hair crashing onto the balcony. Both sisters looked in alarm towards their visitor who began pulling himself to his feet shortly after ‘landing’.

“Sorry, your majesty,” Cantor apologised before noticing Luna and adding ‘ses’ to his sentence. “Next time I’ll try to- oof! -try to be a little more sophisticated when visiting.” He smiled weakly and bowed towards both the other alicorns.

“It’s quite alright.” Celestia replied. Cantor returned to standing and nodded in understanding. “I’m sure you’re wondering why we summoned you here?”

“Well… yeah, kinda’…” Cantor answered.

“We need to have a little talk,” Celestia smiled disarmingly, “about what’s going on, so we’re on the same page, so to speak.”

“Okay…” Replied the stallion, stepping into the room and folding his wings away.

“First time flying?” Luna chimed in when she saw how dirty and scuffed he was.

“Yeah, takeoff didn’t go so well the first time.” He said, matching the night – princess’ enticing smile.

“So what would you like to know?” Celestia spoke up.

Cantor turned his attention back to Celestia. “Um, well… I’d like to know what I have to… do…” He asked weakly, he already knew the response, he just wanted Celestia to confirm it for him.

She sighed heavily. “In the story, I’m sure you’re familiar with it, it mentions The Rife, that’s you, “Practicing the art of sacrifice”, that’s…” She turned her gaze to the floor.

“I understand.” Cantor said in monotone. “I was kind of expecting that, I just… needed definition.” He wasn’t sad, or scared. Actually, what scared him more was the fact that he was so unfased by it.

“Well,” Celestia sighed again, “I’m glad we’re getting on the same level.” She brought her indigo eyes up to Cantor’s fiery ones. “What other questions would you like answered?” The solemness was rapidly leaving her voice, making Cantor feel more at ease.

“I’d like to know more about these ‘Elementals’.” He replied. Celestia’s expression twisted into a scowl. Obviously even that word carried a lot of weight. “I’m sorry.” He added sadly.

“It’s okay.” Celestia returned, “It’s not you…” She scuffed the floor forcefully with her golden shoes, scratching it ever so slightly. “The elementals were the most powerful breed of ponies ever to have lived. They could create tsunamis, cause volcanoes to erupt, whip up deadly tornadoes and form great land masses, all from nothing but thin air.”

“Wow!” Remarked Cantor, “They sound pretty cool! Why did you hate them?”

“They were good. In fact, the ‘Base Four’ that is, the first four ponies ever in existence who created Equestria were very benevolent, indeed. They each controlled one of the elements, Earth, fire, water and air.”

“So, what made them go bad?”

“They became power-hungry and jealous of one another, each saying how their element was more necessary than the other, how the fire from the sun was needed for life to thrive, etcetera…” Cantor nodded, willing the princess to continue. She levitated a glass of water towards herself and offered Cantor a drink. Usually, he would decline, but the flight over had left him remarkably thirsty. After a moment, Cantor became suspicious: he had been offered a drink and he had accepted. Now all Celestia was doing was quietly drinking her own. He watched the last bit of water flow from the raised glass and became nervous when Celestia looked at him through half-closed eyes.

“Yes, princess?” He asked with a slightly scared tone.

“I was hoping you’d say yes to a drink…” She spoke softly, bringing out a new, empty glass from a cupboard somewhere.

“Now we can see your power…” She smirked, hovering the immaculate glass in front of him.

Cantor eyed the cup suspiciously before realising what the princess meant. “Oh,” he said, taking the hovering cup with his own magic. Celestia clocked the colour of his aura and smiled.

“Go on…” She insisted, and Cantor slowly filled the glass with invisibly clear water. “Incredible…” Celestia remarked, motioning for him to drink the water he had just ‘made’.

It looked like water, tasted like water, hell, even smelled like water! Because it was water. He had just performed an act, which for eons had been impossible.

A miracle.

“So what happened to the four elements?” Cantor asked after taking a long drink and setting his glass down on a nightstand next to Celestia’s. Luna was now at the foot of the bed, hanging her forehooves over the wooden footboard. He found that pose ridiculously cute, especially accompanied by the look of wonder she wore on her face.

“They were also the founders of the Elements of Harmony.”

Really?”

“Yes. They decided that the feud between which one of them was ‘better’ had gone on for far too long and they decided that the best option would be to form ‘rules’ or ‘guidelines’ to live by.”

“But I thought the Elements of Harmony were like magical… things?” Cantor added, feeling slightly lost.

“They are.” Celestia confirmed. “But the Base Four created them as kind of ‘physical echoes’ of what their law meant, lasting forever as a reminder to the world what was really important in life: Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty…”

“What about Magic?” Cantor asked.

“Ah, now magic refers to the magic of love and friendship. Two of the most basic and easy forms of magic around, but by far the most powerful.” She paused to let her words sink in. “The element of magic only came around when the four found love amongst other ponies. They returned to the shrine where they kept the Elements at the end of their lives and found the sixth element, Magic, at the centre of the five other elements. Nopony knew the whereabouts the sixth element, or even what it was until recently; it disappeared when the Base Four… changed.”

“Changed?”

“Yes. The Elements of Harmony sort of… ‘connected’ the four Elementals, creating the first ‘perfect elemental’, known only to my family as ‘Requiem’.” Celestia spoke with a heavy heart.

“So what happened then?” Cantor asked, eager to find out more about ‘what’ he was.

“Requiem hid for thousands of years, sealed himself away in heaven knows where, afraid of what his infinite power could do to his mind. Eventually, the loneliness in his heart caused him to try to take control of the world, but a second perfect Elemental stopped him.”

“Who was that?” Cantor questioned, this story was beginning to sound good, he thought, despite all the chaos.

“Nopony knows.” Celestia replied coldly. “He never said his name, he showed up out of nowhere. He sacrificed himself to defeat Requiem and the two were never seen again. That’s where you come in.”

“What!?” Cantor yelled in alarm, “You think I’m the other perfect Elemental!?”

“No.” Celestia returned, calmly, finding a little amusement in the stallion's statement. “There hasn’t been another perfect elemental since that event, and there have only been a small hooffull of Elementals since then.”

“What happened to them?”

“Killed. Each one became drunk with power, as if it was an inevitability; you were an Elemental, you were a bad pony. Simple as that.”

Cantor felt insulted, “I would never do anything to hurt anypony!” He cried.

“I believe you.” Celestia quickly said in response. “If you truly are The Rife, you will save us all.”

“Hold on, princess…” Cantor said, raising his hoof. “I mean, I know I’m an alicorn, but saving the world? I’m not nearly that powerful!”

“You’re the most powerful pony I’ve ever met. I can see it in your eyes…”

“Wait, you can’t be serious. What about yourself, and Luna there?”

“You just haven’t had time to show your true potential.”

“And what about the last Elemental? Twilight said you-“ He stopped when he saw in her face that, princess Celestia’s heart had been ripped apart. He had just torn open a very deep wound.

When she next spoke, her voice was slow and trembling. “Yes. I… killed the last Elemental, severing the bloodline.” She walked over and perched on the edge of her huge bed. “He was a colt, living in what would come to be Manehatten.” Her eyes began to pool with tears. “I was called to the area because of ‘unnaturally fierce tornadoes and hurricanes’. It was him, powerful magical purges, like all baby unicorns and alicorns have. But this was different. He was an Elemental. Have you ever seen a hurricane the size of a continent?” She shot towards Cantor, her eyes were shimmering and she was desperately trying to hold onto her dignity. Her sister gently stroked her back as she continued. “He was so scared, so alone; they evacuated the city. He didn’t know what was going on but he was endangering so many lives.” Her voice at this point cracked, “He was so young… he was so helpless…” Her eyes gave way to a waterfall of tears and she cried out in agony “He was just a foal!” The princess of the sun then proceeded to collapse onto her pillow and sob loudly into it.

Nopony said a word for a large number of minutes, the muffled cries of the princess were the only sounds around. Cantor and Luna sat at her side, trying to comfort her as her broken heart slowly began to piece itself together another time.

“Princess, there was nothing you could do, you said yourself, all Elementals went crazy under their power, you just… stopped something even worse from happening…”

“But he was so young… he was so scared… I didn’t have the right!-“ She choked on her words and continued to cry into her soft, comforting pillow.

“No, you didn’t have the right.” Cantor spoke firmly, causing Celestia to look up weakly. He looked deep into her dark violet eyes and finished. “It was your duty. One of the many unpleasant burdens of being a leader.” Her eyes widened at his words. “Everypony has done things they aren’t proud of in their lives, but if you keep replaying the past, you might miss a wonderful opportunity in the future.”

“What are you saying?” She asked calmly.

“I’m saying that no matter what kind of terrible thing happens, it always happens for a reason, and is therefore the right thing to do, even if the right thing to do is not always the best.”

The light seemed to return to Celestia's eyes. He had done it. He had finally fixed her broken heart with this realisation. She had let that moment fester in time for so long she had never talked to anypony about trying to help her. “Thank you, Cantor.” She said joyfully. “Thank you so much.” She flung her arms around his neck and Luna joined in, her new tears – tears of joy – soaked into his coat.

“It’s alright, princess. After all, I am here to help.” He replied in a serine tone.

Both Luna and Celestia realised the time on the large pendulum clock that stood proudly in the room and nodded in understanding to each other. They broke the embrace and stood up from the bed. They looked at each other once more and then turned to Cantor. “Cantor, if you would like to do the honours…”

“The uh, honours?” He puzzled.

Celestia beamed warmly. “Raise the sun.” She spoke with the deepest level of sincerity.

“WHAT!?” Cantor shrieked in disbelief. “You can’t be serious!” Celestia said nothing but raised a majestic eyebrow. “Oh, you are…”

“Don’t worry, my friend. It’s easier than it seems.”

“A-are you sure? I don’t want to damage anything…” Cantor asked solemnly.

“Go on, I’ll be here if you need me…” The larger alicorn smiled.

“Okay…” Said the stallion as he stepped out onto the balcony overlooking a huge expanse of Equestria. The two royal sisters joined him by his side.

He looked out into the horizon and hesitated. “Go on…” Celestia encouraged.

“Right.” He said, more to himself than anypony else. Cantor focused his magic and cast out an invisible beam towards the gap in the mountains. He could feel the sun. a huge ball of burning gas millions of miles away. He could feel it was there, but he couldn’t actually reach it with ease. Eventually, he wrapped his power around the burning orb of day and pulled it over the horizon, causing the night to begin it’s retreat. He kept raising the sun slowly, sending pale pink flecks of light to reflect off of the few clouds that hung lazily in the sky. Luna played her part too, pushing the cold, stoney moon under horizon to make way for another day. The orb of light continued to rise until he felt the connection snap and he stumbled backwards but didn’t fall. “What happened!?” He cried in alarm at the unexpected jolt.

“You…” Celestia said, placing her hoof on his back, “Just raised the sun…”

“Wow…” He sighed in self – accomplishment, awing at the rainbow-coloured sky he had created “What a day!” He thought. “What a day…”