• Published 5th Aug 2014
  • 3,602 Views, 90 Comments

Protecting a Soaring Rainbow - Aurora Steel



Rainbow Dash lost her mother when she was young and her father blames her death on Rainbow, he got put in prison and now he's after her!

  • ...
19
 90
 3,602

Preparing for a fight

Rainbow woke up for the second time that day and looking at the alarm clock that was on the bedside table, it read “10:45am’. She stretched her wings whilst sitting up fully before poking the sleeping form of Soarin in the gut lightly, which caused him to groan slightly and open his eyes for a second.

He opened his eyes a minute later and looked around whilst asking, “Why would you do that? It’s only 8…”

Rainbow laughed slightly and replied, “You should look at the time more. It’s more like 10:45.”

Soarin nodded closing his eyes once more trying to get back to sleep for a few moments only for him to shoot straight up which resulted in him falling off the bed onto the cold floor.

Rainbow got up whilst laughing and walked over to the wardrobe opposite the bed. She pulled out two flight suits, one for him and one for her.

Soarin eventually got up and slipped on the tight flight suit before walking over to Dash who was putting on the headpiece.

Once she was finished she turned to him and nodded before the two made their way out of the room and down to the mess hall.

On the way they saw Surprise and Fleetfoot heading in the same direction so Rainbow called out, “Fleet! Surprise!”

The two mares in question turned around and smiled slightly, they waited for the Dash and Soarin to catch up and when they did Fleet replied, “Hey guys.”

Soarin nodded as they kept walking down to the mess hall.

Once they arrived the mood in the hall was that of a morgue. No one was talking and simply focusing on their food.

Rainbow sighed as they walked over and got their trays before sitting down at their normal table that was already occupied by Spitfire who was looking over some reports.
Rainbow sat down opposite her and asked, “Hey Spit? What is all of this?”

Spitfire also sighed and looked up from the papers before replying, “They’re reports of what happened the night your dad escaped. This is a serious matter Dash, he has already badly hurt Derpy. Who knows who he’ll hurt next so I’ve already requested that we have extra security.”

Dash looked down at her plate, suddenly not feeling so hungry and nodded, “I know… Derpy should never have gotten involved with this. My dad’s a cruel person who will do whatever it takes to get what he wants and that includes hurting ponies to the point of even killing them…”

“That’s why we need the extra security.” Spitfire replied before standing up and announcing, “Listen up! From this point onwards every single ‘Bolt will receive extra training in combat! Is that understood?”

Dash looked around the room as everyone replied almost in unison, “Yes ma’am!” Each ‘Bolt was serious and she could tell by the expressions they wore.

Dash smiled knowing that everyone was willing to stop her dad. Spitfire sat down with a content smile.

Rainbow thought to herself, “This is all my fault and nothings going to stop what is about to happen. My dad is a cruel, cruel stallion. I have to visit Derpy.” She got up and said quickly, “I’m gonna go visit Derpy. Seeya.”

And with that she turned around before spreading her wings then flying as fast as she could without breaking anything through the mess hall and out into the courtyard.

From there she picked up some speed and zoomed into the opposite building that housed the medical bay. She flew low to the ground and weaved around objects and pegasi until she finally slowed down as she was nearing the bay.

She forced her wings out to stop her then folded them as she dropped a few feet to the ground. Next she pushed open the bay’s doors only to be met with an almost empty room.
The room was lined with beds and curtains that were pulled back except for one down at the end which she presumed was Derpy’s. A single nurse was at a desk in the far corner writing something.

She took no mind as she walked down the isle to the closed curtains. On the way down she saw a few other ponies sleeping with various injuries ranging from broken wings to head injuries.

When she finally made it to the bed she pulled back a curtain to see a damaged Derpy. Her wings were in thick casts with her nose also bandaged.

She forced a few tears back and sat down next to the unconscious mare. After a moment she said to her, “I know you probably can’t hear me but I’m so sorry… I can’t ever forgive my father for hurting my friends and the fact that he hurt you, well, there aren’t any words that I can say anymore… I can’t forgive myself for what happened to you and I will never be able to… You have every right to be mad at me and especially my dad so when you wake up don’t hesitate to punch me cos I deserve it…”

She got up once more and turned to leave when she heard a painful cough. She turned around quickly to see Derpy partially awake.

Derpy took a few deep breaths in before replying, “Dash… it wasn’t your fault… so I’m not mad at you… I’m sorry Dash…” And promptly passed out again.

Dash smiled to herself and wiped away a single tear before turning around and heading back to the mess hall.

- A few hours later –

Spitfire’s request had been granted and about 20 or so guards had arrived and been stationed around the compound. The Wonderbolt’s also started their combat training, a few of them messing around with some of the elements like fire, water, air and lightning. Dash and Soarin were part of the few, Dash messing with some lightning and Soarin messing with some water.

- Spectral Night –

He looked through the windows of the training room before ducking down into the bushes. He thought out loud, “It looks like the Wonderfails are actually learning some combat… this should be interesting…”

Author's Note:

Hope you guy's like this chapter, sorry it took so long to update. I had major writers block but I'm getting there. My stories are not forgotten!

From the next chapter onward they will be in 1st person since I find it easier to write in that style.

Pls let me know what you thought of it ^^