• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 1,739 Views, 41 Comments

Your Twilestia Love Story? - Key Strix



Twilight needs to confess her feelings. Luna needs to relax. Celestia needs a vacation. Spike needs a spiffy wig.

  • ...
25
 41
 1,739

Part 3

A disturbingly long amount of silence followed. It was almost as if there weren’t a bunch of bustling stagehoofs working vigorously around them. Twilight’s response slowly sunk into the murkiest depths of her mind. Beneath the pressure of a cascading sea of regret, her leader-like smile was crushed.

Time practically stood still in the eyes of Twilight as she watched a look of shock stress Celestia’s facial features as her head shifted back and her eyes went wide.

The announcement of, “one minute on the clock!” queued Twilight’s time perception to pick right back up.

“You... what?” Celestia filled the silence between them with a tone of needless uncertainty.

It was clear that the L-word had been slipped in such a manner that it could not be mistaken for any lesser of a meaning from the truth. Thus, Twilight had been backed into a corner from which there was no escape. Her head retreated between her shoulders as it was time to be clear, “I… I love you.”

“Thirty seconds left!”

The countdown from the floor director certainly wasn’t helping Twilight’s heart slow its pace. If the tension wasn’t going to kill her, a rather stunned-looking Celestia probably was. Her muscles tightened as if preparing to take a massive hit.

Celestia, on the other hoof, sighed, letting her expression relax . She leaned in and planted a kiss on Twilight’s forehead, just inches to the left of her horn. Her lips lingered only for a moment before Celestia pulled back, leaving Twilight nothing less than flabbergasted.

“Thank you,” she said while wearing a tranquil smile of a true saint.

Twilight was only able to respond with several blinks and her jaw slightly ajar.

“Uh...” The floor director briefly fumbled his thoughts while he looked their way. He then shook his head, waved a hoof then announced, “aaaand we’re on!”

Without another word, Celestia, summoned by the sounds of triumphant trumpets and a cheering crowd, disappeared beyond the veil of emerald colored curtains.

Pleasure shot through Twilight like a racing pegasus on a sugar high, however Celestia’s last words cut the racer’s wings a bit short. Thank you? For what? Loving you? Nonetheless, Twilight was kissed. Maybe not in the most desired way, but in a way that was more than satisfactory.

The floor director forced out a loud cough to spur Twilight to look his way.

“Oh! Right! Sorry!” Twilight stammered.

Once she had been practically spat through several layers of fabric out onto stage, she found herself outside with natural sunlight beating down both upon her and… several hundred other ponies.

From wall to wall of the enclosed garden there were unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies alike with their eyes focused upon the stage. Just beyond the crowd, Twilight could see security blocking off a massive line of even more ponies at the entrance. Not only was the place too full, but it was almost too loud as nearly everypony cheered and stomped, giving Twilight an even louder welcome than Celestia had received.

Twilight’s breath was stolen; robbed by Equestria’s apparent eagerness for new royalty. But who could blame them? It certainly isn’t often that a new pony comes into power.

It was time to smile and wave as Twilight ventured forth from the curtains to sit behind a small, decorative, white-clothed table that was set to the right of the center pedestal. The crowd’s roar of applause gave energy to every step of the way and continued even after she sat down. Such overwhelming sound deeply embedded her with a prideful feeling and all, but something was amiss: where were her friends? If they were even present, how could she possibly spot them out through such a forest of multi-colored po—and there’s Pinkie Pie waving and jumping around in her seat like an uncontrollable maniac.

To the wild mare’s left, in order, was Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and even Spike—who was sitting on the cowpony’s back so he’d be able to see above the crowd ahead of him. Every one of them cheered with the masses.

Head held high, ears standing on end, a smile spread across her face, and a glance upward to make sure her wig was still in place… Twilight was ready for her introduction. She then turned her full attention to Celestia, who kept the center pedestal company.

The elder princess remained quiet as she looked over the gathering. Though she smiled kindly, there was an intense look upon her brow that commanded respect while she simply waited for the noise to die down. But, even when none in the crowd dared to whisper, Celestia remained quiet.

As the mighty princess continued to take the stage while under silence, she didn’t even need to speak for Twilight to know what was really on her mind. But before Twilight’s mind could run wild with even more speculation, Celestia’s voice finally sounded.

“Welcome, everypony.” Her already prominent voice was amplified greatly by the microphone before her. “I thank you all for joining me on this lovely sunny day. I must say: it’s wonderful to see this yard so full of visitors once again. It seems we have ponies who have come from all over Equestria here today.”

A short burst of cheers ruptured the crowds silence, but was quickly dwarfed by Celestia’s booming voice.

“You all came—not to see me today—but to see Princess Twilight, correct?” The crowd hollered and hoof-stomped. “You came to hear her speech.” The sounds of stamping and shouting grew louder and louder. “You came to hear her out on her visions of revolutionizing Equestria’s future.”

Twilight swelled with pride as the audience had grown loud enough that she could feel the stage floor trembling with excitement.

“But that isn’t going to happen.”

Almost instantly the crowd’s cheering fell into a void of total silence.

Twilight’s gaze was ripped from the crowd over to Celestia.

“As of today, Twilight is removed from her royal position.”

Either Twilight went deaf from all the cheering or a reality check was in order. Did she hear the announcement right?

It took a moment for the crowd to explode with a confusion of chatter.

Right then and there, Luna’s words of warning shot through Twilight’s mind like a bullet. Her eyes locked to Celestia, and her heart sank slowly as she found herself unable to move from her seat.

Celestia didn’t distract herself from looking over the noisy gathering the entire time. “Again, I repeat,” Celestia bolstered her voice, as if to make sure not a single pony misheard her as nearly all were hushed once more. “As of today, Twilight is relieved from her royal position as she is unfit to carry out her duties. I hear many out there asking why. I’ve recently discovered through her that a certain disease is once again spreading through the heart of Equestria.”

A disease?! Twilight thought as she could practically feel that sunken heart rupture.

“I have been fully aware of this disease as it lingered about for ages. I’ve even been quiet about it. But, despite my hopes, it once again spreading this far into Canterlot.”

Celestia... Princess... This isn’t you!

“This time, I will no longer be silent.”

This isn’t you at all! This isn’t Luna either!

“This time, I will stop this disease at its source.”

No, please! Don’t do this! Twilight shook her head as she watched helplessly.

“From here on out, all across Equestria, all rights for gays will be suspended.”

Twilight could no longer hear the gasps and chattering of hundreds; she could only hear pieces of her life clattering on the ground.

Luna, please, tell me I’m still asleep, because… this… this is a nightmare!

“Marriages will be broken. Health benefits will be stripped. Voices as a citizen will be lost. Consider all of this an act of mercy until I figure out a proper and solid punishment.”

On a much more than awkward note, Celestia left the podium. She turned about and made her way through the split in the curtains.

With the entire event cut short, only a single pony was left on stage.

Her throat felt like it held boulders whilst she looked between the podium and where her mentor departed. Hundreds of bickering voices practically told her to claim the center of the stage. But, she was glued to the floor.

A feeling of déja vu lingered.

However, it wasn’t fear that kept Twilight in place. It took but a short moment for her to realise a growing weight of emotions that tipped her brows inward.

Her reputation was blasted away before nearly half the Equestrian nation. Ponies like her were about to be stripped of their rights. Her beloved majesty smiled as she turned into a tyrant. All plans for a wonderful day were ruined.

Twilight had every right to be furious. But, it was a simple question that fueled her rising anger; her desire to suddenly stand and rush off stage in pursuit.

Why?!

She needed answers and she needed them immediately.