• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 1,739 Views, 41 Comments

Your Twilestia Love Story? - Key Strix



Twilight needs to confess her feelings. Luna needs to relax. Celestia needs a vacation. Spike needs a spiffy wig.

  • ...
25
 41
 1,739

Part 2

Luna stared hard into Twilight’s uncovered hiding place. Twilight responded with a smile akin to a filly’s when her parents catch her with her hoof in the cookie jar.

Luna’s expression clearly lacked amusement. Nothing needed to be said to get Twilight to withdraw from her impromptu hiding spot. As she crawled out of what was left of her blown cover, her facade of a smile was removed and replaced by a look of worry that didn’t dare try to meet the eyes of the elder only several feet before her.

Spike took several steps back and remained intensely silent.

“So... sick and immoral, eh?” said Twilight softly as her gaze traversed the tiled floor.

Out of her direct line of sight she could see Luna’s mouth open, but a different voice sounded.

“Ah, Twilight. You made it after all.”

Twilight gazed over Luna’s shoulder, past her frozen expression to Princess Celestia, who slowly approached the group as she spoke. “And Luna as well? I thought you’d be heading off to bed about now. Did you change your mind and decide to stay for the speech?”

“No.” Luna shook her head, not even bothering to turn her eyes to her sister as she towered over her left side. “Twilight was just a little confused.” Her tone of voice lightened greatly. “Thought I’d give her some pointers about doing speeches like this before heading off.” Despite the lack of harshness in her tone, her eyes focused sharper than ever before on Twilight. The glare warned Twilight of the thin line that could be easily crossed; a glare hidden from the towering sister by a full head of dark, star-littered hair.

“Well, the offer for you to join us on stage is still open, if you change your mind.” Celestia’s smile was certainly a welcome beacon of light that chased away Luna and her dark attitude.

The Princess of the Night had turned her back, bid them all a quick “fare thee well,” and then left without another word or look of warning.

“Rest well, dear Sister.” Celestia turned her attention to Twilight and Spike. Both sighed in relief. “Now, what seems to be the trouble again? A wild guess here, but something tells me it has to do with that.” She pointed a hoof at the head of fake hair resting upon Twilight’s head.

Twilight’s breathing eased out, now that the enraged Luna had left. Despite Luna’s harshly spoken words which loitered about her mind, Twilight was still able to point a smile Celestia’s way. “It’s really nothing. Just, you know, stage jitters.”

Celestia looked from that smile to Spike, “A moment, if you will?”

“Sure thing.” Spike shrugged before backing away from the two. “Guess I’ll just go join the crowd and get ready for the show. Oh, and Twilight?”

“Hm?”

“Break a leg!” Spike said with a wink and a smile.

Though wished the best of luck, all Twilight could think of was how Luna was going to do all the leg breaking. But, she just nodded and watched as he waddled his way out of the back of the stage.

“Fifteen minutes till showtime!” yelled the floor director, who seemed to be paying little to no attention to the conversation; it wasn’t his business anyway.

“So, stage jitters?” said Celestia, easily snagging Twilight’s attention. “Such a thing certainly isn't commonplace with you.” The sheer size of Celestia still dwarfed Twilight even as Celestia took a seat, forcing Twilight to stare up those towering heights and spot those eyes that searched her for lies. Lies that she best avoid.

“Well, this is far different than anything I've ever dealt with!” Twilight exclaimed before turning to pace. “I’m being handed the reins to a great part of Equestria’s future! To my future! I hardly have a clue as to where I’m going exactly with all of this and I’m supposed to go out there and tell all those ponies that I have a certain plan for our entire future? I mean, I thought I knew! I really did! I, to this day, remember what plans for the future that I made ages ago. But now I realize that I apparently can’t even plan for a single decent day!”

Amidst her passion-fueled fuming, Twilight didn’t notice — till the end of her rant — that her wig went lopsided. She imagined that happening to her on stage, and it caused her to blush.

But Celestia’s heart-warming smile didn’t fade, even for a second.

“Sit,” she said while gesturing to the empty spot before her. Almost immediately that spot was taken by Twilight’s rump. The pony’s apparent shame had glued her eyes to the floor, letting Celestia’s right fore hoof easily trace over the strands of hair that escaped their wig-shaped prison. “I remember doing this sort of thing for you when you were just a filly; one that was frightened about going on stage at all.”

Twilight remained still and silent beneath the welcomed touch.

“You were so shaken up that I was worried you wouldn’t even make it five feet towards the center of the stage. But, you conquered your fear. You made me proud then, just as you continue to do today.”

Twilight held back her words of doubt as her mind was torn between memories of her childhood and the current gentle touch of her mentor’s hoof tucking her mane back into her wig.

“I understand that you are having a rough time today. But, rough times come with the job and we’ll always have to put up with things we don’t favor,” Celestia said calmly as she finished tucking away the rest of the hair and then adjusted the wig to be properly centered upon the little one’s head. She used a forehoof to lift Twilight’s chin to look into her eyes. “Just like back then, back when you were an adorable little filly, you had the same courage you do today; the courage to get over such a rough time and do what needs to be done.”

“Ten minutes till showtime!” yelled the stage director.

In that moment, Twilight felt the call of duty. The call of responsibility. It gave her newfound strength to smile and push away her troubles. Now clearly wasn’t the time to dwell on them, or even her love-life situation. There was a crowd out there waiting for a leader to step forth. One that doesn’t fear the Princess of the Night. One that doesn’t let some burnt hair bring her down. One that doesn’t hide in closets.

With a deep sigh, Twilight could feel her stress melt away. This time, she didn’t even need to extend her hoof from her chest. “You’re right.” Her re-discovered confidence kicked her tune up several notches. “I can do this.”

“That’s the spirit.” Celestia’s own smile spread even further across her face. “Now, there isn’t much time to waste, so let’s skim over your material.”

With her chest puffed out and her head held high, Twilight began. “The first thing I’d like to work on is tourism for Ponyville. With my presence there becoming well-known and my exact location being quite clear with the replacement of my library, I’ve noticed a distinct rise in visitors from out of town.”

“And, what do you plan to do?” Celestia asked in a clearly testing manner.

“I’d like to inspire the locals to think about expanding our lovely town with more temporary housing for travelers and more small attractions. At the same time, I’m not looking to turn our lil’ town into a city. I want it to keep its rural feel. With the money that we get from tourism we can make a lot of general improvements.”

“Such as?”

“First off, I’d like to have a larger library built near the schools. And, if possible, figure out how to also replace what books were lost along with the original library. Secondly, I hope to expand those schools and provide better education funding. After that can come the construction of new paved town roads and other similar projects.”

“What about your ideas for Canterlot?”

“It will be untouched. Canterlot will be left for you and Luna.”

“What if we were to depart from our thrones?”

“With Princess Cadence likely having her hooves full with the entire Crystal Empire, I’ll be left with no choice but to take over here. Decisions from there on will be solely focused on peacekeeping till my position is further solidified as a leader. I’ll then be able to focus on other advancements.”

“Would I be able to trust you with the sun?”

“Without a doubt. I will learn to have it raised and lowered without diversion from its current schedule.”

“Would Luna be able to trust you with her moon?”

“If she could get over the fact that I love you, then sure.”