• Published 6th Jun 2014
  • 1,776 Views, 179 Comments

Newborn Mare - nanashi_jones



After the events of When The Mare Comes Around, Rae Jay is looking forward to reuniting with her friends. Too bad a militia in the boonies, a surly FBI agent, and Discord all have something to say about that. Why can't it ever go smooth?

  • ...
8
 179
 1,776

Chapter 5: Two-Fisted Law

Adrenaline is a hell of a cocktail. The second I saw Fluttershy laying so still, looking so broken, my heart leapt into my throat and I couldn’t move. I was very glad Stephanie stood in front of me because she covered the fact I had frozen up.

Adrenaline pumped into me, telling me all kinds of unimportant stuff.

The smell in the room reminded me of Funyuns at Dungeons & Dragons night. There was a table nearby that looked like it needed a wipedown, and a refrigerator hummed not-so-quietly in the corner. Three serious guys in combat fatigues stood in a semi-circle next to one guy in a white lab coat, and a tuxedoed man laying on the floor near Fluttershy. Stephanie smelled like deodorant.

I learned all that in a split-second. But in that split-second, time stretched out. I watched one of my best friends lie before me. Dead.

Then, Fluttershy’s chest rose. And fell. And did it again.

My heart left my throat. I could breathe again. Blinking back to reality, I realized I’d been out of it longer than I thought. Stephanie was having a tense conversation with one of the men in the room.

I’d been panicking over Flutt- No, it was Erishy. And Erishy didn’t need me staring at her. She needed me to focus. Stephanie needed me to focus. She was counting on me to be her backup. We wouldn’t get Erishy out of here if I was distracted. I couldn’t let her down.

“-tiate what?” said a bald guy, whose face looked like it had seen more fights than was healthy. “We have our prisoner. Your government had its chance till your nigger president announced he was a friend to these freaks.”

As I fought to keep my expression neutral, it occurred to me if Granny ever heard half of what these asshole humans said, she’d run out of soap real fast. Celestia knows I wanted to cram half a bar down this guy’s throat already.

“I’m CIA,” Stephanie said, unflapped. “We operate a little beyond the president. When the situation calls for it.”

“Well, it don’t call for you now, girly,” Baldy said.

“Hang on, Luke,” said one of the other men. He had a long scar on each cheek and was the tallest person in the room by a few inches. “Just hear her out. If we get government backing on this, it could be good.”

“Don’t fucking tell me what to do, Commander Davis!” Baldy snapped, wheeling on the man. “And when we are in uniform, in front of hostiles, it is Admiral Walker!”

I fought a snort. The guy was named Admiral Luke Walker. If his middle name was “Sky” I might just bust my gut laughing.

“I came to negotiate,” Stephanie said. She stepped further into the room and a little to the side, revealing me. “I also brought a peace offering.”

“Another one,” Walker said, his eyes locking on me. He looked at me like I was a freshly cooked steak. And he was hungry.

I didn’t bother with my "moo" act this time. Instead, I stuck my jaw out and looked as disinterested as possible. My gaze drifted briefly to Erishy, and I saw the tuxedoed guy start to get up. He fussed with himself, then tended to Erishy, and I relaxed a notch.

Focusing back on Stephanie and Admiral My-Parents-Were-Clearly-Geeks Walker, I’d only missed a little of what passed.

“-can have her, but only if you’re willing to talk,” Stephanie said.

“What’s to talk about?” Walker snorted, arms folding. “You give us the freak, and we’ll take care of her like we took care of that yellow one. Isn’t that right, doctor?”

"What are you committing me to this time, Admiral?" the tuxedoed guy asked. He didn’t stutter, but I could tell he was nervous, and picking his words carefully. "I was as--"

Doctor Tuxedo suddenly winced, as his right hand closed into a trembling fist. He went very quiet for a long time, then slammed his hand into the wall a few times, grunting with each strike.

Walker rolled his eyes. I, on the other hoof, was more than a little spooked. What the hell was going on down here?

"Sorry," Doctor Tuxedo said calmly, as if he hadn’t just lost his nut for a second. "Nerves. As I was saying… I came here for one purpose, and that purpose has been fulfilled.”

Walker bristled, taking a step toward Doctor Tuxedo. His expression paled, then he spoke quickly.

“As I am, at least for now, still at your command,” he said. “It is of course up to you, alone, how you wish to respond to this overture. I would however advise you not to do anything… rash.”

Erishy's eyes slowly opened. She stared straight ahead, her ‎gaze unfocused.

“Shy!” I exclaimed, stepping toward her.

“It talks!” Tweedledum yelped from behind me.

“Don’t fucking move!” Walker barked. But nobody seemed to hear him as everyone shouted and started moving at once.

“Whoooooooa!” Stephanie called, actually halting everyone. “We’re all just a little tense here. So. Why don’t we take a breath, huh? Mmmm-aaaaah. There we go. Breathe deep and calm down. We’re just dealing with some little ponies, after all. No reason to get worked up, right?”

“Fuck you,” Walker said. He pulled out his weapon.

Walker was racist, mean, and clearly liked being in charge. That did not make him a quick draw.

In the time it took him to move his hand from behind his back, Stephanie had drawn her handgun and sighted. Before he could bring his gun around, she fired three shots into Walker’s chest. He twitched with each hit.

I don’t know how everyone else dealt with the noise. My ears pressed right up against my head and hurt.

Walker hit the ground with a crunching thud. Nobody moved or spoke.

“Calm,” Stephanie said.

Doctor Tuxedo was the first to react as he came up from under the table. He must have dived under it when the shooting started. He went over to where Commander Davis was standing and waved his hand back and forth in front of the man’s glassy eyes.

“Commander… Commander!” he said. “Would you mind terribly if I did the sane thing right now, and surrendered to the best marksperson in the room?”

Davis blinked. “Yeah,” he said, his eyes on Walker’s body. “I mean no, I don’t mind. Go knock yourself out.”

“Thank you kindly--I’ll be sure to put in a good word for you. Now, no changing your mind and shooting me in the back!” he said. Playfully. Who was this guy?

Doctor Tuxedo slowly approached Stephanie and me. He kept his hands in the air and moved so he was well outside of where she pointed her weapon. He came along Stephanie’s right side, then bowed formally.

“Doctor Nathan--no, Nate Franklin, psychologist,” he said, the playful tone gone. “I’m surrendering myself into your custody, if you would have me.”

He then paused for a bit, his expression even more nervous. “Fluttershy, please come here.”

My eyes widened, but Davis was the first one to say anything.

“Now hold on!” he exclaimed. “I’m not giving up the pony!”

“If you want the pony back...” Franklin said, his voice going cold as he turned to look at Davis, “Why don’t you try asking the agent with the gun, politely?”

While the men barked at each other, I watched Erishy stand up and come over to Franklin’s side. She moved like usual, stepping delicately, but there wasn’t any life to her movements. It was like she was was on autopilot: the lights were on, but nopony was home. It was creepy as all hell.

Then, she looked up at Franklin like a dog waiting for the next command, and I had to look away. I felt sick.

“Glad to have you aboard, Nate,” Stephanie said. “Sit tight for a second.”

Stephanie locked gazes with Davis.

“Now that I have your attention,” she said. “I’m going to say that negotiations did not go well, agreed?”

Davis and the guard next to him nodded. White Lab Coat nodded emphatically.

“Good. Now, I want everyone in this room against that wall.” She looked to the door where Tweedledee and Tweedledum stood, staring at Walker’s body. She whistled, breaking their morbid focus. “That includes you two. C’mon.”

I watched them move into the room, and my eyes drifted to Walker’s body. His blood was still pooling all over the concrete floor. The sharp, coppery scent of it hit my nose all at once. My legs went weak. I was back in the hotel, watching Jim die again.

“Rae Jay!” Stephanie snapped.

I snapped back to the room with Erishy and company. My knees were about to slam on the floor. I managed to catch and right myself before it happened.

“You with me?” Stephanie said, her tone sensitive, caring.

I nodded. “Yeah, yeah, I just…” I glanced at Walker, my face reddening in embarrassment.

I’m supposed to be watching her back, dangit! I thought. Aloud, I said, “Sorry. Got distracted.”

“Can’t have that,” Stephanie replied. “I need you at the door. Let me know if anyone’s coming.”

I nodded again and looked at Erishy. My stomach twisted. I wanted to say something. Before I could open my mouth, Stephanie said, “Now, Rae Jay. Please.”

Obediently, I turned to stand near the door, pricking my ears toward the hallway.

“Good,” Stephanie said behind me. “Now, everyone drop your weapons and radios. Do it. Let’s go.”

One of my ears twisted back of its own accord to catch the clatter of plastic and metal hitting the concrete floor. I tuned it out.

The hallway, thankfully, was clear. I was surprised the gunshots didn’t bring anyone running, but the lack of response told me a lot about this operation.

Firearms going off willy nilly without so much as a check-up on the radio meant “accidental discharges” were probably a problem around here. It just reasserted that whole amateur thing Stephanie was so focused on. So, how did a bunch of amateurs get a hold of Erishy?

The squawk of a radio broke through my vigil on the hallway. I heard a radioed voice say, “Sir? Can you confirm that?”

“I can, Private,” Davis said. “Her name is Stephanie Chase. She’ll have two more captives with her, plus the doc. She’ll relieve you. Go to the cafeteria.”

“But my shift-”

“Appreciated, but things are…moving in a different direction,” he said. “She’ll be over shortly. I’m going radio silent for a while.”

“O- okay. Over,” the guard said.

“Thank you, Davis,” Stephanie said.

“This wasn’t how it was supposed to be,” Davis said. “We just didn’t want to-”

I heard batteries being emptied from the walkie talkie before it was dropped on the floor.

“I don’t care,” Stephanie said. “You made this mess, Davis. Time to live with the consequences. Up against the wall, all of you.”

The men all started moving. I glanced back and saw they looked like they’d just gone a few rounds with cousin Distilled’s extra-hard cider. Stephanie had her eyes locked on the group.

I went back to my lookout. The coast remained clear. I was starting to feel a bit useless.

“Nate,” Stephanie said, once the tread of boots quieted. “I saw another door nearby. Probably a closet, or spare room? I want you to take all their ammo and radios into it. Can someone get me keys?”

I heard the jingle of metal, then the sound of keys hitting a palm.

“Now, I’m going to trust you, Nate,” she said. “I’ll wait here with everyone while you move everything.” She paused, then added, “You can load everything onto that. You’re doing great so far. Keep it up.”

After what sounded like Big Mac tossing farming tools in a cart for repair, I heard the squeak of wheels and Franklin came up beside me. I moved to let him pass, watching him roll a cart loaded with machine guns and walkie talkies. He stopped one door down, and I kept my eye on him, my expression firm.

He disappeared into the room for a few seconds, then returned to the hall, locking the door behind him. He walked back and stood near Erishy. Stephanie kept her focus entirely on the disarmed men.

“We are awaiting your further orders,” he said, his voice soft.

Erishy nodded a little, then looked at Stephanie. I shivered. Her obedient mare routine was giving me the up and down creeps.

Which was nothing compared to Stephanie’s expression when she finally, really looked at Erishy.

The blood drained from her face, and she hunched like someone had kicked her in the gut. She looked like a friend of mine when her parents told her Santa Claus wasn’t real. But, instead of no Santa, she was seeing a beaten, hollow-eyed Fluttershy.

I swore. I’d forgotten she was a fangirl. She’d been professional all this time, and I plum missed that she hadn’t been looking at Erishy at all.

“Hey, Stephanie- Steph!” I said, raising my voice. “Whatcha want these jokers to do?”

She blinked, looked at me. She looked as rattled as I felt.

“Right,” she said. “Right. Thanks, RJ.”

I nodded in response, and Stephanie turned to address the men.

“You will stay here. I advise you not to touch that body. The rest of my team is en route. If you resist, we are CIA. We will do what is necessary.”

She let that hang, and I watched the color drain from their faces. Stephanie gave them one, last, good glare then strode over to Franklin.

“Follow me,” she said.

“Come on,” Franklin said to Erishy.

As everyone filed out, I paused at the door.

“Y’all got some time to think,” I said, looking at them. “My advice? Think about what landed ya here, and if it was worth it.”

Davis was the only one to look at me. He blinked. I couldn’t tell if what I said made a difference, or I was just talking to the walls. With a sigh, I turned and shut the door behind me.

“What was that about?” Stephanie asked.

“I don’t know,” I said, sighing again. “Felt like I had to say... somethin’. That’s a room full of trouble, I’ll tell ya what.”

Stephanie nodded and holstered her weapon. Pointing at Franklin, she said, “You’re my keymaster for now, Nate. Lock the door, please.”

Franklin turned obediently, locking the door.

“And then you’re going to tell me, in thirty seconds or less, what you did to Fluttershy here, and that you can fix it, or I will let RJ go earth pony on your ass.”

Franklin went very still for a moment, then his brow knit together.

“My assignment was to put Fluttershy under my control,” Franklin said, his voice going cold. “Which I have done. So if you want to satisfy your violent urges by siccing a pony on me, by all means, go right ahead! It’s not like there hasn’t been enough violence already!”

Stephanie’s fists clenched and I could see she was about to start shouting in return. I put a hoof on her leg.

“Don’t,” I said, keeping my voice low and even. “You already shot one guy. I’m not interested in any more blood.”

Seeing as the professional was hotter than she needed to be, I stepped between the humans and looked up at Franklin.

“Can you… release her from your control?” I asked. “I’d appreciate havin’ my friend back.”

He looked around, his expression pinched.

“Here?” he asked. “Don’t you think that might be a little risky? We’ll both be unconscious for several minutes.”

I frowned. That was a long time to have dead weight. I looked up at Stephanie, the question evident on my face.

“We still need to get those other ponies out,” she said. “And if I recall correctly, you were kind of insistent about it.”

“We need to get Fluttershy out, too,” I said, furrowing my brow in thought. I glanced at Erishy, who kept staring blankly into space. I shuddered. No way was I leaving her like this for any longer than I had to. It wasn’t right.

“Think you can handle the other ponies?” I asked Stephanie.

“Sure,” she said, nodding. “‘I’m a friend, I’m here to help...’ I can be charming when I’m not killing people.” Her tone was full of gallows humor.

I gave her a sarcastic look. “Then you go get ‘em. I’m stayin’ with these two.”

“Uh, no,” Stephanie said. “You’re my principal. I’ve already broken a mess of rules today, I’d like not to be a complete idiot.”

“She’s my friend,” I replied, pointing at Erishy.

Stephanie set her jaw. I responded in kind. We held like that for a long time, but I had the bit between my teeth and wasn’t going anywhere.

“Fine!” Stephanie said, throwing her hands in the air. “I’m already fired for this. I’ll go get them, meet you back here in five. Okay?”

“Sounds good to me,” I said, with a nod.

Stephanie sighed, then got down on one knee. “Be safe, okay?” she said.

I smiled back at her, putting a comforting hoof on her shoulder.

“You too, partner.”

That seemed to get her back in the saddle, because she rose up smiling. She nodded at Franklin, gave Erishy one last, pained look, and started jogging back down the hall.

I watched her go, then turned to Franklin. “Alright, sir. What’re you gonna do here?”

Franklin bit his lip, looking uncertain.

“I’m going to go into her mind,” he replied. “I...er, can do that.”

I stared at him.

“It isn’t without its difficulties. It comes with a price...” He waved his hand in imitation of the wall-hitting motion from earlier. “But once inside, I can work with the mind on an active level. I can dominate or control…” He shuddered, his expression turning ugly. “Or, I can talk, persuade. I convinced Erishy to enter a sleepwalking state where she would only obey me. At the time, I thought it was the only way we were going to survive Admiral Walker. So, now I just have to convince her that she’s safe again and no longer has to remain in my control.”

I blinked at him.

“You go into people’s minds,” I said.

Franklin nodded.

“And what’s your doctorate in? Bein’ Professor X?!” I shouted.

I bit back the rest of what I was going to say. Rubbing at my muzzle, I sighed. I had to keep it cool here. For Erishy.

I glanced at her and she just stared back at me, still hollow.

“I just can,” Franklin replied. “Does it matter how?”

I turned away from Erishy and her Nopony Home stare.

“She trust you to tell her the coast is clear?” I asked. “You sure of that?”

“It was that or torture. I… I promised that I wouldn’t let anything bad happen to her. I’d give my life to back that promise,” he said, meeting my gaze. “I just hope I can undo what she let me do to her…”

His expression became thoughtful for a moment, before brightening, fire sparking behind his eyes.

“I will undo it,” he said, confidence suddenly bursting forth. “I won’t let her down. If I have to spend the rest of eternity looking for where she’s hiding in her own head, then so be it. For once, I will stand up for the consequences of my actions and make things right.”

I studied Franklin one more time. For all that he was dressed fancy, he looked like he had a rough couple of days: heavy bags under his eyes, hair that was smoothed by hand more than a comb, and his tuxedo was more wrinkled than Granny’s neck. He looked tired, and like a large part of him wanted to just lay down.

But I could tell there was a part that didn’t want to lay down. He hadn’t given up.

Some ponies think that since I’m the Element of Honesty, I’m high and mighty about the truth, or that I’m some living lie detector. I’m not. I’m just a mare who lives by her personal standards of dealing fairly and openly. That doesn’t mean I’m perfectly honest one-hundred percent of the time. It means I just try to be honest with myself and honest with others. As honest as I can be.

And that spark in Franklin’s eyes looked like he was being straight with me. He wasn’t giving up on Erishy. He was going to help.

“Go for it,” I said, nodding once. “I’ll stand watch.”

Stepping back, I positioned myself with a clear view of the hallway. After a quick check, I dipped my head to give Erishy a supportive nuzzle, even if she wasn’t going to react.

“See you soon, ‘Shy,” I said, softly.

“Thank you, Applejack,” Erishy replied, her voice distant.

A smile sprang to my lips.

Hope is an amazing thing. Before Erishy spoke, I thought Steph and I were screwed as screwed can be. Now? I believed for the first time since walking into this den of assholes and idiots that we’d be okay. Don’t underestimate hope. It will get you through the darkest places. Including a bunker filled with militant bigots looking to kill you.

I was still smiling when Franklin gently took her temples in his hands, and their eyes closed together.