• Published 29th May 2014
  • 3,395 Views, 87 Comments

Can't See the Forest for the Trees - Chewed Pencil



Centuries of pain, ages of lies. They tried to silence me, but soon the Truth will ring. The Age of the Sisters comes to an end...

  • ...
13
 87
 3,395

As the Sand Falls... [R]

As the Sand Falls...

Pain...

For centuries all I have known was suffering as my wooden flesh, bound in iron, kindled and crackled with the embers of betrayal. My body, blackened and hollow, still stood tall amongst the ruins of a sanctuary built for me by those I thought friends. Around me stands a tall and mighty forest, yet untamed by the denizens of this world, and the creatures who made my wood their home. Even now, a pack of wooden creatures much like myself, but in a lupine form, wandered somewhat aimlessly about the grove. These Timberwolves, as the ponies called them, were the closest things I had to sons and daughters. It was my power that brought them into the world, and nothing less than a god could truly be rid of them. No matter how much you destroy them, their spirit will always make their way back to me to be reformed.

The forest was abuzz with activity when I regained my consciousness after centuries of rest. Something, or someone, was disturbing the feral peace of the wood. The wild winds whistled into my ears of a filly, scared and lost in the darkness. Though she has naught to fear from my domain, years of frightening tales kept her on her hooves, her wings clamped tight to her sides. She jumped at every shadow, shivered at every sound as my hounds shepherded towards a safer portion of the wood. On a whim, I called them to lead her to me as there was much to glean about the state of the world beyond my borders. What little I knew came from a rather young zebra mare who got lost like this filly many years ago.


Scootaloo was running for her life. Just out of her vision, she could see various were lights and glowing eyes popping in and out of existence that hounded her in the dark, never entering the light that filtered through the trees. Sometimes they would appear in front of her, causing her to turn away and go a different direction. If she were a wiser pony, she would have noticed that they were herding her past various dangers like a bush of Darkseed Brambles or patches of Poison Joke. It wasn't long till she barreled through a thin wall of leaves into a small glade surrounded by stones. Looking behind her, she could not see the monsters that hounded her for what seemed like days, nor could she hear anything but the random bird calls and chirping insects. She sighed and sat down to catch her breath. Safe, she was safe at last.

Looking around, she saw that the stones were strangely shaped, as if time had worn down them from massive blocks of stone to their current, smoother shape. She even saw some that looked vaguely like a pony. In the center of it all was a massive tree, black as night and looked as if it was smoldering from a recent fire. It had two great iron bands wrapped tight near the base and near what looked like a large knot near the branches. Cautiously, she approached the blackened husk and felt a deep sadness for the tree. It looked so old, she couldn't even count that high, and yet it was burnt to a crisp. She tentatively placed a hoof on the trunk and brought away a thick coat of ash.

And what do we have here? A voice echoed in the glen. It sounded hoarse, cracked, and a deep rumble emanated from the tree. A young pony, wandering, stumbling into my wood. What dost thou seek in this defiled glade? Scootaloo immediately turned around, pressing her back to the tree with a frantic breath. She couldn't see anything around, even after circling the trunk a few times. A humored chuckle came from above her. Little filly, thou hast naught to fear from the forest so long as thou harmest it not, but ‘twould be wise to take a closer look at what thou see’st, to find what thou seek’st.

Scootaloo blanched. She could feel the blood drain from her face as she turned slowly and looked up at the tree a second time. Up past the bound knot was a tangle of branches with two glowing orbs that burned like fiery coals. She scrambled backwards, only to find herself sitting in a small chair made out of wood. Surely even in this age it is considered rude to not accept thy host's hospitality. Now, what is it that you seek, little one?

Scootaloo trembled beneath it's piercing gaze, whimpering out a response. The once mighty tree fell to it's knees and brought it's head closer to Scootaloo. Forgive me; thy voice was too quiet and meek for mine ears to catch. I would ask thee to speak aloud so that I may hear and heed. Scootaloo covered her head with her hooves and replied quite loudly. "I-I'm l-l-lost! I didn't mean to Tr-tr-tres..." She paused, trying to remember the word only to have the tree answer for her. Trespass?

She pointed her hoof at him and exclaimed. "Yeah! That's it! Trespass!" She paused and shied away from him once more. "I really didn't mean to trespass, mister..." The tree creature leaned back and laughed hoarsely. He continued laughing as she gave him a confused glance. "Whats so funny? Huh?" He unwound one of his long, claw like fingers that were wrapped around his shoulders, knocking ash away from his spindly hands and face as he wiped an invisible tear away.

Many creatures over the ages have I met, and yet never have I met one quite like thee. He shifted his tall form and somehow, she couldn't see how, he returned to a standing position. Now come, the hour is late, and to thy home must thou be returned. The forest shall not harm thee on thy way. With a nod, the forest seemed to brighten a bit and a path she did not see before was made apparent. She dashed off towards it, turning just before and thanking the nice tree man thing before disappearing into the trees.


The glade was silent for a few moments before I spoke. Keep an eye on her and make sure she returneth from where she came. Barely visible in the shadows of the glade was another humanoid figure, impossibly tall and wearing an impeccable black suit seemed to fade from existence. Yes.... return to your home, little one. My vengeance shall be swift and terrible once my bindings fall... Now all I had to do was wait for the filly to return and spread word of a new, approachable creature in the forest. Surely, a curious unicorn or two would take the bait. My eyes closed once more, looking back upon my long life. All the way back to the beginning...


James had a love/hate relationship with conventions. On the one hand, he got to see so many cool people and hang out with friends old and new alike. On the other hand, he had to deal with the large crowds, smelly geeks and nerds who need to learn how to bathe properly, stuck up content creators who think they are above everyone despite only having like 2 subscribers. Worst of all was the costumes. Fat guys wearing sailor fuku, or even costumes that were really massive. Like that one guy who looked like a Dullahan. Great costume, but he had the dexterity of whale. Ser Dullahan actually stepped on his foot at one point. James spent the next 10 minutes trying to make sure his foot wasn't broken.

Afterwards, James made his way to the merchant's alley thing, or whatever silly name they had given it, intent on purchasing something mildly expensive or cool. Those usually went hand in hand. It all really depended on just how humble the seller was. There were some interesting shops, but only one really caught his eye with how absurd it was. An old man was sitting behind a shoddy booth with a simple sign that said "Free". On the table was various detritus one would find outside. A twig, a stone, a vial of clear water, a half melted candle, a dandelion, even a cracked mirror. Seeing that James was inspecting his 'wares' the merchant grinned.

"Anything catch your eye? I can guarantee that everything here is rather... special" He chuckled a bit. "Please take something, I insist."

James scoffed and picked up the twig. "Just what so special about this junk, anywa--" James never got to finish that sentence before he simply disappeared, along with the old merchant.


Site of what will become the Everfree Forest
Time Immemorial

James awoke feeling rather stiff and wooden. He groaned, the sound a lot louder than he expected. Upon opening his eyes, he was greeted with the blinding light of the sun shining through a canopy of trees. He tried to block out the light, but to no avail. His one rather meaty hand was now impossibly thin. James gasped, the sound more ethereal than it should have been. Frantically, he took a look at himself. He was now tall, like, really, really tall. Standing up, he could just have the wooden boughs on his head brush the bottom of the canopy. Another thing was that he was now a tree. Which explains his height and and the fact that now his head and back were covered in thick, green foliage. He wasn't much of a botanist, but he could swear that he was a sweetgum. He always hated sweetgums. Their sticky sap got EVERYWHERE during the spring.

Exploring his surroundings revealed a place that was like something out of a story book. Small, winged creatures floated around, chatting aimlessly amongst themselves. They looked like really thin horses with gossamer wings or something. The entire forest had a sort of ethereal atmosphere that enthralled him more surely than the biggest tittied Brazillian whore. He spent that whole first day doing nothing else but exploring the fairy tale wonderland...

Author's Note:

Why is it that I cannot seem to escape these wooden character?! What is next, a Puppet? GEEZ! I can't seem to get over the writer's block for the stories I WANT to write, so I am trying this to see if I can't get rid of it. Yeah, it is a LoHAV, but you will see that it has a bit of a twist that may or may not be totally see through. Any and all flashbacks will be in third person, as if someone was witnessing it.

EDIT!!!!!

Some things changed, mostly James' speech to be more Olde Tymey by This Guy

Go check his ass out yo!