• Published 7th Apr 2012
  • 772 Views, 5 Comments

The curse of Loyalty - Dracarion



A long night and a tough choice await an elderly mare.

  • ...
0
 5
 772

Another Rainy Night

/*
I don't own MLP:FiM, or any of the characters contained with in. I also am not making any profit from this fic. The only gain I may achieve is the enjoyment to my self from writing it, and the enjoyment of the ponies who want to read it.
*/


The Curse of Loyalty
By Dracarrion



I sit in a dim room, the only light coming from the dying fire in the fireplace. I’ve found myself here far too many times over the past few years. Alone, as if forgotten. I stand and stretch, my old joints popping from disuse. I walk over to the fireplace and take the poker in my mouth. I gently nudge the wood, making the fire flare up again. After I return the poker to its stand, I let my eyes scan the mantle, and they quickly fall upon a photo of two mares, one winged mare with a cyan coat and brilliant multicolored mane, the other a lavender unicorn with her purple mane cut and styled in away that kinda gave her that school filly look. They both… We both looked so happy then.

I’ve probably looked at this photo millions or billions of times, but tonight, with the rain falling against the house, it’s just too much. I raise a hoof, and smash it into the photograph, shattering the frame and sending shards of glass flying. As I pull my hoof back, the fractured picture falls to the ground and lays in front of the fireplace. “You said you’d be back in a few months!” I scream at the broken frame. “You promised!” I sink to the ground, where the picture had fallen. “You promised.” I say again, starting to sob. “You promised.” I whisper at the frame. “And you lied.

“So long ago. You promised you’d come back, and that we’d be together forever. “ I cry at the picture, frustration, anger and loneliness pouring out from a place that once only held love. “Then months became years, and years became decades! And like a foal I waited for you." I start to truly cry. "I waited, but you didn't return. I let go of my dreams, I gave up part of myself for you! And you left me!" In my rage and torment I take a hoof and kick the photo into the fire. "Oh no!" I quickly try to reach in and pull it out, but the fire is too hot, and my joints are too old. "No no no no no no," I can only watch as the last remnant of what we were burns away. And as the fire consumes the last evidence of how we had been, i think back to that day at the train station.

“’Don't worry,’ you started, ‘I'll be back in a few months, you'll see.’ And then you waved good bye to everypony and left.” I look at the partially consumed photograph. “You left, and I waited. Forty years of waiting for you, only seeing on your ‘down time’ and it took tonight to open my eyes.” I silently laugh to myself. “It took you not coming tonight for me to realize what I should have done so long ago.” I look into the fire, only our faces remain now. “I've been loyal to you for so long, but tonight was the last straw. I’m tired of waiting. Tired of seeing my dreams lay unfulfilled. And so, I'm moving on.” With that, I turn and head for the door. "Goodbye," I say, starting to feel better than I have in ages, "Twilight Sparkle."