• Published 24th May 2014
  • 613 Views, 36 Comments

The Frost Chronicles: Book 1: Veil of Night - steelwingx



in the far future, a young stallion rises up to challenge the new king of equestria, and save his kingdom.

  • ...
6
 36
 613

Chapter 10 (Part 1): Returning Home

Author's Note:

Well, I finally got around to getting this chapter done. yes, this is the first part of the chapter, but don't worry, the second part will be along shorrtly. anyway, hope you enjoy!

CHAPTER 10 (Part 1)
Returning Home

After discussing the plan with Iron star, he walked with me outside with the buildings, as we made our way through the makeshift camp they had set up, another pony walked up and dropped off one of our bags, I looked at the bag and then to Iron Star. “Hope you don’t mind, I had my boys gather some…supplies you might need” he said in a calm tone. I unzipped the bag and rummaged through it, my eyes widened as I levitated out a small military grade pistol, I immediately turned to him.

“What is this?’ I asked him, levitating the gun up to show him. He simply smiled at me and grabbed it, “like I said, you may need it, your return home may not exactly be…welcoming” he said in a straight tone, as he tossed it back into the bag. “I…I've never shot anypony before” I told him with a hint of shyness, mainly because I felt that admitting my inexperience with firearms may have made him laugh, but he simply smiled. “Son…trust me, if you’re going to join us, you’ll need to learn a few new tricks, besides, you’re just getting your family, pray you won’t have to use it.” He said with a slight frown as he turned and walked away, leaving me with a concerned look on my face.

I sighed and hoisted the bag on to my back, and turned to see Vapor and Dust walk up to me, Vapor appeared to have a concerned look on her face, which was very unusual. I calmly turned to face them, as Vapor took a step forward, “Frost, are you sure this is a good idea?” she asked me, but, having known her for so long, I knew that wasn't really what she wanted to say to me. “Yes, I have to go back for them” I said as I turned away, but before I could get very far, Vapor spoke up again.

“Frost, listen…maybe it would be best for us…to just go with them instead” she said in a low voice, which was unlike her to be so timid. I stopped in my tracks and turned back to face her, confusion written on my face, “Vapor…what are you saying?” I asked her, she lowered her head temporarily, but quickly looked back at me. “Listen, our lives in Ashen…they didn't mean much, you chopped wood for a living, and I delivered mail in a town that hardly got any. But with these ponies, we can help make a bigger difference, we can help those in need, we don’t have to go back, just stay with us here” she said in a confident tone, but the look in her eyes told me she was faltering.

I truly couldn't believe what I was hearing, I felt my heart rate increase as I looked at her. A part of me wanted to be angry at her for saying such things about our home, but another part of me, sympathized with her. “Vapor, I’m not going back for that, I’m going back for my family. How can you even say such a thing? How can you just turn your back on all your friends back home? I know you and your father aren't the closest, but I’m not going to turn my back on them. I’m going home to bring my family with me, and if possible, others as well. You can stay here and wait, or you can help those you came to call friends and family” I said as I stood in front of her, staring her in the eyes.

The look in her eyes told me that she knew I was right, she slowly lowered her head in shame. I stood there for a moment longer, simply staring at her, but I knew that if I wanted to get my family, I would have to hurry, and with one swift turn I was heading the other way. After a few minutes of walking, I heard a set of hooves trot up beside me, at first I thought it was Vapor, I turned to see Dust walking beside me. “What are you doing?” I asked him, trying not to sound insulting, luckily for me, he didn't take it that way, “oh me? Just coming along for the trip, better than hanging around here” he said with a friendly smile, at first I was confused by his actions.

“Why? I thought you were off to find your uncle, it’s a long journey to Manehatten, and you have the perfect opportunity” I said with a confused glare, he smiled and looked down for a moment. “true, but to be completely honest, my uncle and I were never really that close, sure he lent me books, but that was all it really was, I doubt he would even remember me. Besides, friends stick together, you had my back, so…now I got yours” he said with a warming smile. I was shocked at first before I smiled back at him, if there was one thing I knew for sure, it was that weird situations can turn into better relationships.
________________________________________

About an hour had passed since we left the Night Ranger camp, and with a small escort of merely six soldiers, we made a small camp for the night, hoping that we would get to Ashen by the next evening.

As we slowly set up the camp, this time with better provisions and camping equipment, the few soldiers we had, proved to be fairly decent company, as they told us some of their stories of how the joined they NR, and how life was like in the ranks.

As the night went on, we quickly ate our dinner, and slowly made our way to bed, as some of the soldiers kept watch overnight. But as the night went on, and most of us were asleep, I lie awake in the comfortable sleeping bag that Iron Star had provided for our trip. As I lie there, I turned my head to the bag I had and reached inside, pulling out the small golden medallion, making sure not to wake Dust, who was fast asleep beside me, I quickly unwrapped it and held it in my magical grip, slowly twirling it and tracing my hoof over the intricate design.

Just as I was doing that, I heard Dust grumble as he slowly lifted his head up, his mane was slightly disheveled during his sleep, as he looked at me with half-lidded eyes. “Frost? What are doing up, you’re going to need your sleep” he said as he pushed himself up a little, I sighed and looked up at the top of the tent. “I know…it’s just…” I said as I tried to find the right words, but Dust had beaten me to it.

“You’re worried about your family aren't you?” he asked me, as to how he could guess that, I would never know, but I nodded my head anyway. With that, he pushed himself up more and turned to me, “listen Frost, I may not know your family, but from what you say of them, they’ll be fine they sounds like strong-willed ponies, and that’s all ponies can be these days” he said in a comforting tone. I knew he was trying to comfort me, and I appreciated it, but Midnight Star’s words kept echoing in my mind.

Just as I was about turn and ask him something else, we heard a particularly loud snap come from the woods behind our tent. We both instantly snapped up and turned in the direction of the sound, we saw two orbs of light turn towards the sound as well, quickly followed by a “Who’s there?” by one of the guards. Dust and I immediately scrambled out of the tent and went up to the guards, who had their lights pointed to a moving bush not far from the dimmed fire.

The guard shouted again, as the rustling continued, both guards quickly withdrew their holstered pistols, and moved in that direction. Just as they got close enough, a pony quickly emerged from the bush, shielding her eyes from the light, and we all instantly recognized her. “Alright! Alright! You got me, I’m coming out” she said as she walked forward, “Vapor?” Dust and I said in unison, the guards looked at us strangely as I stepped over to them, “it’s alright guys, she’s with us” I said, and they immediately holstered their weapons, as some of the other guards emerged from their tents.

Both Dust and I walked up to her as she lowered her hoof, giving me a shy smile as she attempted to avoid my gaze, “what are you doing here?” I asked her. A slight blush came on her face as she met my eyes, and I could see there was a twinge of regret in them. “You were right Frost, I may not have as good of memories of Ashen, but it is still my home, just as much as yours, I came to help you. After all, friends stick together” she said with a smile, I was shocked by her confession, but I smiled none the less, and pulled her in for a hug. I could tell she was shocked by this, but I quickly felt her hooves wrap around my shoulders as well.
We both separated quickly as we made our way back into the circle, Vapor quickly removing all the gear she had on her. Iron Star had given her the same gear he gave us, so that she might catch up before we got to the town. “Glad you decided to join us, we missed you, but… Dust missed you more” I said with a sly smile. His face immediately turned red, as Vapor looked at him with a raised eyebrow, and he immediately began stuttering a response.

“I…well he…but he…damn it” he said rubbing the back of his head nervously. I was too busy stifling my laughs, but Vapor smiled as well, “aw! That’s so sweet! Well I missed you two” she said as she gave a playful peck on the cheek, causing him to immediately freeze in place, as she walked on with a happy trot. I laughed loudly as we made it back to the circle and sat down, but he quickly joined us and sat next to Vapor, as the guards set up her tent for her.

As we chatted for a few minutes, one of the older guards came up to us, “alright miss, your tent is ready, I suggest we all get some sleep, it will be dawn in a few hours, and we need to get moving if we want to make it to Ashen on time” he said as he walked away. All three of us looked at each other and nodded before heading back to our tents, the guard was right, we would need our sleep for tomorrow.
________________________________________

The next morning came as we expected, with us waking up, eating our breakfast and starting on our journey again. We knew we would have to stay off the roads until we got there, deciding not to take the front entrance into the town, our small group came around from the town to the south where the lumber yard was. Much to our surprise, the military had done a good job at maintaining a low profile in the town.

As we came over a small hill not far from the lumber yard, one of the guards gave me a set of binoculars, and I quickly began to observe the area. The lumber yard seemed mostly deserted, aside from a few ponies I had worked with before, and soldiers posted all around the area, keeping close watch on the workers. After I was done looking around, I crouched behind the small hill we had come upon, as I faced the others. “Okay, there’s a few soldiers scattered through the yard, if I can sneak my way into the mill, I can get in touch with Mr. Cloud, I can find the others” I said as one of the guards reached into their bags and tossed me a small earpiece. “Okay, we’ll scout out the rest of the area, Dust you go with him, the soldiers here won’t recognize you, so you can buy time for Frost. Be careful you two, the general imposed a strict curfew to the citizens, and anypony caught out is brought to him” the guard said and we both nodded.

With that, the others including Vapor took off in the other direction, but not before flashing me a concerned look, I gave her a reassuring smile, and she took off. Dust and I quickly hopped over the hill and quickly dashed into the yard, taking cover behind a large pile of uncut logs, I quickly looked out and saw two soldiers patrolling the other side of the log pile, as I watched them, I heard a loud incessant flapping, my first thought was Dust. “Dust! Quiet!” I hissed at him, but he tugged my shoulder, “dude, wasn't me” he said, I quickly turned to him and saw him looking at the top of the pile. My eyes followed his gaze, until they saw a young hawk sitting on top of the pile, staring down at me with a bewildered gaze. “oh, hello again…Winter” I said, the bird of prey squawked happily and flapped down beside me, looking at me as if she wanted something.

“Sorry, I don’t have any food on me” I said to the bird, while Dust kept an eye out. The bird looked at me confused and gave off a particularly loud squawk, which made Dust reel back behind cover. “Hey, did you hear something? It came from over there” one of the soldiers said as the light crunching of snow filled the night, dust looked at me with a shocked face, I quickly turned to the hawk, “okay girl, I need you to help me, can you do that, please, just this one time, and I promise I’ll give you as much food as you can eat” I said as a flash light grazed around the corners of the pile. The hawk squawked lightly and took off past me and up into the trees.

Both our breath caught in our chests as the soldiers gasped briefly, “ah just a damn hawk, come on let’s go, the general wants these ponies in their houses” they said as they began to trot away. Both Dust and I gave off heavy sighs of relief, as all the ponies around us. We decided to wait a few minutes before making our way to the mill. “Alright Frost, you know the place, where to?” he asked me, I thought for a moment on the best place to enter. Suddenly, an idea entered my head as I turned to Dust.
“I know the best spot, come on” I said as we took off.
________________________________________

After clearing our way to the building, we came up along the back wall, where a small stack of boxes lead up to a small window, just big enough for me to squeeze through. “Okay, I can squeeze through that window and find out what I can, you stay out here…with Winter” I said as the hawk landed on one of the crates and squawked at me. I smiled and began climbing up the boxes and removed the grate with my telekinesis, with a quick glance and a reassuring smile from Dust, I managed to squeeze my way through.

Luckily for me the window was at the exact level as the rafters of the majority of the room, where I saw two other guards walking out of the main office. “…guy’s not here, maybe he was taken in for questioning?’ one of the guards asked as they walked through the room. I calmly made my way across the rafters of the buildings, as the soldiers were completely unaware of the intruder above them. “Yeah, he’s the father of one of the convoy prisoner’s, they were all questioned by the general” the other one said as they made their way for the door, it took me a moment to realize who they were talking about.

“Mr. Cloud!” I said louder than I should have, and the two guards instantly stopped and looked up, making direct eye contact with me. “YOU! Stop there!” one shouted. My mind immediately began to think of various ways to escape, but since I was in a dangerous situation, I acted on my gut instinct.
I jumped.

Letting go of the rafter I was holding, I let gravity do the rest as the full force of my body weight smacked them down, luckily for them I wasn't too heavy, but the force was enough to incapacitate the two soldiers, and I was pretty sure I heard bone cracks. I mentally apologized to them as I made my way around the room, as I approached the locker room, I saw the door slowly opening, so I made my way closer, slowly drawing out the pistol that Iron Star had given me, not really intending to use it, but more for a show. Just a the door came to a full open, I was met with a thick piece of wood to the side, as my vision went blurry, I fell to the side and cried out in pain. “OW! Damn it!” I shouted as I looked up to face my assailant, but before my vision returned, I heard a distinctly familiar female voice speak up. “F-Frost! Is that you?” I heard the voice say.

As my vision returned, I looked up to see the very familiar face of my foalhood friend.

River.

I looked up into her stunned filled eyes, as the piece of wood she held up clattered to the floor, I shook my head and rubbed the sore spot, as she rushed to my side and helped me up. “Oh my gosh! Frost I’m so sorry, I thought you were the soldiers” she said as she helped me up, I smiled at her as the pain began to subside. “Nice to see you too, River” I said as I turned to face her, instead of saying anything, she quickly threw her hooves around me and pulled me in for a hug, and as she spoke, I could hear the faintest relief and sadness in her voice.

“I’m so glad to see you Frost” she said as she pulled away, her loving smile turned into a look of concern, as she turned away briefly, a slight blush on her face. “Things have gotten crazy here, the general is convinced that the rebel organization broke you out, he’s gone crazy, and he’s interrogated all the families, your mom and your sister too” she said as she turned to face me again.
Just as she did, Dust came into the room, “so I take it the stealth option didn't work” he said with a smug smile, as he patted me on the back, “yeah, not so much, River this Is Dust Wind, he’s our new friend, I’m here with Vapor and a few others, were getting you out of here, come on” before we made our way to the door, u ducked inside of the locker room and accessed my locker, just as I had hoped, my trusty axe was still on its holder. I levitated it off and hooked up the holster, giving it a few good swings around, I sighed with happiness as I slid it into the holster and returned to the others.

As we made our way to the door, I stopped and turned to River, “where are they keeping my family?” I asked her but she simply shook her head, “I’m not entirely sure, those who were related to the escapees were put under house arrest, and they had me locked up here because I was the mayor’s daughter. Please Frost, I know you don’t necessarily like my dad, but you have to check on him, the general’s been harassing him for a while. It would mean the world to me” she said in a scarred tone.

I thought for a moment, I knew I was necessarily only here for my family, and we were already taking a huge risk by saving River, but I knew I couldn't say no to a friend in need. I sighed and turned to Dust, “alright, take her to the other’s I’ll go find the mayor, and be careful you two” I said as Dust turned to River, but before they left, much to my surprise, she leaned up and pecked me on the cheek, I knew it was nothing more than a token of appreciation, but I still couldn't help but heat up a bit, a momentary bliss in a stressful night. But just as quickly as it came, it was gone, and my two friends took off into the night.

I stood there for a moment in the cold, watching them go. After they disappeared, I looked down at the holstered axe and pistol, I took a deep breath and charged off into the town, hoping that with these constant distractions, that bad luck was coming my way.