• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 570 Views, 12 Comments

The Magister - Xinamar



Since I was born I've been unique. But this uniqueness has caused me so much pain; however, I’m forced to press on. Always movin’, lookin’ for my next big find and in my travels I’ve gotten this rep as some great treasure hunter. I'm only a s

  • ...
1
 12
 570

The Dreamer and a Seamstress

Chapter 3 – The Dreamer and a Seamstress

Below my eyelids I can see no light. Not even the darkness of the moonlight. Below my eyelids lies true darkness. The darkness of the mind, of the soul that is weary with age…

*

I watch as the darkness is lifted away. My eyes now open I make out nothing that is around me. To my senses I appear to be standing within some sort of void, inside an area of space that is surrounded by nothing, consisting of nothing. I take a moment, then begin my journey from here, not knowing of what lies ahead but knowing of what I wish to see, peace. The journey is long, consuming eons as if they were days. But I continue on and witness many things, but never my sought out peace.

Am I not to know peace…? I think as I grow tired and collapse to my knees. Am I forever damned in perpetual chaos!?! I pause hoping for a response but nothing is all that is heard. Somepony please answer me… I fall forward and repeat myself. Somepony, please answer me…

“You are not damned, sweet child.” I hear a voice from within the darkness state. “This is life…” Suddenly the nothingness is peeled away revealing a meadow of soft green blades. I look up and spot a mare in the distance with a glowing sprite on her shoulder.

“This is what it means to be alive,” she explains. “Struggle, fear, happiness, hope… all these things and many others make up life… and peace.” She pauses. “Peace is only experienced by the few and it is rarely experienced before life’s end I’m afraid.”

In an uncontrollable urge I begin to weep, years of suffering to only be answered with an unmistakable truth. Life knows no peace. My vision clouds with tears and I can no longer see; however, the mare appears to me as clear as day. Her steps close the distance between us. She is now in front of me. Softly she places her hoof beneath my chin and speaks.

“Dear child, life may not bring you peace, but do not cry. Life is much too short to weep, and if you do cry, let them be tears of joy not sorrow. For tears of sorrow may never let you experience peace once your life comes to a close.”

“But why must I continue to smile if peace is not guaranteed!?!” I scream at her.

“Because smiling is the only way to truly live, to face every new obstacle with a smile, a sense of purpose, and the curiosity that will lead you to new knowledge. Smiling allows you to be more today than you were yesterday. It will allow you to continue on. Is all this not enough of a reason to smile?”

Sigh… fine.” I snap my face away from her and clear my eyes. “I will continue on.” I take a moment to collect myself. I look back at her direction, but she is gone. “What the hell mother…”

“And stop with that damned cursing!” I hear her yell.

“Ya still wonder where I get it from! ALSO, I WASN’T FINISHED YET!!!” I shout in the direction of her voice. I sit around doing nothing afterward, letting my mind wander away from my mother’s words. After a few moments pass, my mind turns its attention to a faint warmth on my shoulder. When I look towards it, I spot Alma.

“And YOU!!!” I glare at her. “You still haven’t told me what the fuck happened!”

“Master? I do not understand the meaning of your current command?” She states tilting her head as she looks at me.

“Eghh... fuck you.” I pause and look at her again then smile. “Sigh… Love ya Alma.” I get up and turn towards her. I then hug her as tightly as I can. “Don’t fuckin’ freak me out like that again…”

“I still do not…” She looks away while I am still hugging her. “I will not “freak” out my master again. I do apologize.”

“Thank you. Soooo, what’s up with this dream? Anything useful?” I let her go and gesture her to take a quick glance around.

“There are no indications of knowledge or premonitions detected in this ‘dream,’ master.” Her eyes begin to glow. “One moment, please wit. Searching… Just as previously stated, no useful data can be collected from this ‘dream.”

“Alright, I’m content with that." I stop again and relax. "Let me lay down for a sec then.”

“Yes, master.”I throw myself on the grass staring at the empty sky as I cherish this moment of temporary serenity before I am forced to continue on in the chaos known as "life".

Sigh, it’s always nice when I can do nothing for a change. Hey Alma, so we’re broke then, huh? As in we have no bits to purchase anything we need?”

“Yes master you are ‘broke.’ The largest purchase possible with current funds is as stated: four apples from a Ponyville apple vendor.”

I scratch at my head trying to put the simple concept of not having enough currency for food through my thick head. After a bit of frustration I feel a discomfort arise from my stomach and place my free hoof near the area. “This is annoyin’. Sigh… has anythin' interestin' popped up on your communicator?”

“Everything has been silent, master. Connecting... connected, no other users found. It appears nopony else uses the currently assigned frequency.”

“Eghh, fuck it then. Wake me up.”

“Yes, master.” I close my eyes and wait. A feeling of energy quickly surges through me as all other senses go dark. I am again in a void the darkness of my mind, but am accompanied with a sense of relief, for I know my stay is a short one.

“Alright Alma, let’s get goin’ with this.”

“Yes, master. You are clear to exit the ‘Dream Space.’ Conducting safe removal process… program has been successfully executed. Removing ‘Eli’ from ‘Dream Space.’” Alma goes silent, leaving me in that damned silence again. “We are out of the ‘Dream Space.’ Welcome home, master.”

Sigh, ya ya ya… seriously that lecture made no sense.” I open my eyes. The darkness now replaced by reality this time around. I get off my mossy bed stretching as I do so. “Alma, where’s the bottomless box again?”

“It is right beside you, master.” I hear her say as she is out of my site.

“Thanks,” I say as I turn my eyes toward my side. Then I levitate the small wooden box to my hooves. “Alright, I’m hopin’ I don’t need to spend too much time goin’ through this. Alma, which items and/or files did I clear for withdrawal yesterday?”

"All items indicated for withdrawal 'yesterday' could be found within the file 'Echo India'. The first items shown as 'cleared for withdrawal' are as stated: ‘eleventh and twelfth star earrings, and the thirteen star necklace’. Another item that was 'cleared for withdrawal is under the sub-file ‘LAST SPELL WEAVE ROLL LEFT IN ALL OF EQUESTRIA, USE ONLY IN EMERGENCY!!!’, one roll of spellweave."

“Thank you, Alma.” I open the box with one hoof and visualize the exact items I specified from yesterday. After a moment or two of finding myself within my own illusory maze, I stumble upon the earrings and necklace. Concentrating further, I see the earrings and necklace animate from the depths of the box. Both items being lifted toward me by the red aura of my levitation spell. “Took long enough…” I complain and bring the items even closer to me. I place the box beside me with one hoof and then start to take off my current accessories with with the other.

“May I assist with that master?” Alma asks pointing toward my necklace.

“Please and thank you.” I answer. She speedily hovers behind my head and I can feel her undo my necklace.

“Shall I get the earrings as well?”

“NO. I mean... I still have the scars from your previous attempt of assistin’ me with my earrin’s…”

“Very well...”

Finishing up, I take the earrings off then replace them and the necklace with the current accessories I had just withdrawn. I take a second to stare off into space; however, I realize I need to get the spellweave out also.

“Alma, I need you ta do a quick thing for me, please.”

“Yes, master?”

“I’ma head out front, can you jump into the box real quick and get the spellweave?”

“I’d be pleased to!” She zooms off as I finish. I head towards the doorway when I look over my ragged cloth jacket. It was flimsy and self-stitched to begin with but after yesterday I might as well just wrap pieces of cotton around me , I think to myself.

“Alright Alma, I’ma be out front!” No response. “I’ma assume you’re already in the box!” I trot slowly to the warped old door and then shove myself through it. “I’ma also cast the invisibility spell on the house again!” Again no response. So I just proceed to cover up my home as I always do. I move some vegetation here and there, but most importantly cast the light bending spell to get that invisible look going. “Perfect. Hey, Alma ya done yet!?!”

“Yes master, I have completed my task.” I hear her yell faintly, almost resembling an excited attitude in my opinion. Zooming through the door, spellweave in hoof, she quickly hovers in front of me. “Do you need anymore from me, Master?”

“Yes, please retain travel protocols established yesterday.” I state solemnly.

“Yes master, I will be no further than twenty feet away for the next four-hundred and eighty one days and counting.”

“Thank you, alright we are heading to Ponyville to replace my spellweave jacket. Is that clear?”

“Running language interpretation program. Yes Master, I understand our current objective. However, with our current funds how are we to purchase the labor required for the said replacements?”

“Oh, you’re learnin’... huh. Interestin', but to answer your question what I’m plannin’ to do is barter, which means I’ll trade goods for services. Do you understand?”

“Yes, master. I understand sir”

“Alright, let’s be on our way.” I turn away from her and take my first steps, moving away from my sanctuary and into a world outside my understanding. A place even my wildest dreams or horrific nightmares will never recreate.

*

“We’re here,” I sigh as I observe the hustle and bustle of ponies in this moon forsaken town. “My Luna, how I despise this place… we’ll just find this place and go, alright? Alma, look for the location of Rarity, the owner of Carousel Boutique.”

“Yes, master…” She looks into the distance as her eyes glow turquoise for a moment. “She is currently working at the boutique.”

“Thank you, Alma. Another question: Is it currently open to customers as of this moment?”

“Yesit is. The boutique located just east of you. Towards your left master.” Her eyes return to their faint color as she finishes and looks back at me.

“Good I want to keep our time here to a minimum.” I tell her. I turn to my left and immediately notice it. A building completely out of place amongst the homes of these rural earth ponies. It is… decorative to say the least. Looking at it further I can feel it emitting this aura of excess and vanity. “Eghhh, unicorns.”

“Master?” Alma looks at me, puzzlement in her eyes as they brighten. “You seemed stressed as you expressed the word ‘unicorn’.”

“I don’t like’em. Their influence is everywhere and unnecessary.” Silence temporarily ensues as I feel like Alma is think or processing a proper response.

“What about master, are you then everywhere and unnecessary?”

“Heheh, especially me, I am literally everywhere most of the time and I stick my nose into everythin’.” I stop talking and think for a brief moment. I then start a new thought. “Just put it like this. If I wasn't a unicorn I wouldn't be where I am now. Tryin’ to change the world, only unicorns could do such things… until the day I change that. Then any pony can. After that’s settled, I’ll deal with the alicorns.”

“Why?” She asks as if she is really looking for information from me. I trot forward a bit, nearing the shop before answering, allowing myself to think some more.

She may use my answer for future programs, records, or something. I need to put some real thought into how I reply, I reason with myself.

“Because there was a time before them. I saw it, deep within your libraries.” I pause and close my eyes remembering the glimpse I had of paradise. “A time before the sun and moon, before gods existed alongside mortals, a time even before unicorns ruled over all. This place was characterized with its unlimited progress and prosperity for all, where magic was for everypony and innovations like yourself were commonplace.”

“But are you not a God then, master?” she asks looking into my eyes. Her own eyes a piercing brightness now. I don’t know how to answer maybe I just can't. My chest tightens realizing that, if I wanted to, I could shape the world as I pleased. I could gather all my trinkets and reshape everything as I see fit, but I don’t. Am I being like Celestia… imposing my beliefs on others? Saying my beliefs are better than that of the majority of ponies. That my glimpse of something that could be, is more significant than this current world. I stop trotting as I reach the symbol of vanity that is our destination and look at Alma.

Do I just seek allies like Luna, so I can justify imposing my beliefs on others… I need to answer. I’ve got to be real with myself.

“I am,” I answer sternly. “That is how I could change the world, why I could deem when needed, to be changed.”

“But does that not come with the ability to retain what you deem is the ‘norm’. If somepony in your paradise were to want to change it, would you not resist because of your beliefs in your world.”

"Yes, I would bu....”

“Then are you not like ‘Celestia’?” A dagger runs through me as she finishes.

“… Yes. I am like her," I answer her slowly, the words and thoughts of the reasoning behind my answer shoving the dagger deeper into my soul. "But that’s the only way I know how to change the world.” There is a sudden a period of silence, as if the world around us had just vanished.

“Thank you, master. I've 'learned' much from this.”

“Like what?” She looks at me directly, into my humiliated eyes as I finish.

“Belief is… a paradox. They don’t seem to help anypony.” Her eyes darken immediately returning to their normal color.

“That isn't really saying anything, Alma. Eghh… fuck you. Anyway, we’re here I’ll show you how to barter…” I turn away from her, ashamed, and open the door to the store. We are met with a small bell and a smile from a white unicorn…

*

“Welcome to the Carousel Boutique. How may I he… Oh my dear Celestia what are you wearing!?!” She bolts toward me pulling at my jacket with her hooves tearing it even more. “Were you attacked by timberwolves? That could be the only reasonable explanation for such an attire.”

“I was actually.” I reply.

“Oh…” She is annoying me. Her over reaction to such a petty thing isn't helping that Alma just called me a hypocrite and a “Celestia” but I got to keep it cool. I need this new jacket.

“So I have a proposition for you.”

“Yes?” She’s says still tugging at me popping her face in and out of vision.

“As you can see I need a new set of clothing.”

“Plainly.” I breathe in frustrated at this unicorn’s constant remarks.

“I have no bits but I am willing to trade your services for somethin’ greater than any amount of bits.”

“I’d do it for free, if I wasn't trying to run a business of course.”

“Let me finish…”

“Are you alright? You seem angry?”

“I am fine, I’d just like to finish explaining my position on how to pay for my new jacket.”

“I am listening.”

I hover the spellweave off my back and place it at my fore hooves. “I am willing to trade the service for a new jacket, for use and traded ownership of this roll of spellweave.”

“SPELLWEAVE!!!” She shouts in my ear causing me to flinch and, honestly, make me want to hit a mare for the first time in my life. “I ummm… how much of the roll are you willing to offer?”

“Oh, right now? Hmm, all I am offering is the weave required to make me a new jacket.” I see her calm down as she regains her bearing, ready to barter.

“No darling, that simply will not due. I've dealt with this material before and it takes real artisan skill to manipulate it to the shape and feel you want. I am at least going to want the entire roll.”

“Add a leather exterior to the jacket with a plain shirt underneath and I’ll offer twenty additional square feet of cloth.”

“One hundred.”

Really… I think to myself. “Add some additional padding of spellweave inside the jacket for forty. Plus another lighter jacket made of weave and polyester.”

“Absolutely not, for that I need the entire roll.”

“Then I could take my materials elsewhere, you know I've been told this may be the last roll of spellweave in Equestria.” She pauses hesitant to answer. I see her pride waning as I turn toward the door taking the weave with me. I could feel her magic, she’s about to come to an ultimatum. Let’s see how this goes, I grin while my body reaches the door.

“I’ll do what you want but I am also offering a lifetime free repair and alteration policy for you for the entire roll.”

I turn to her. “Make it free tailorin’ in general for a lifetime and we have a deal.”

“Yes of course… umm, free tailoring and your current request for the roll of spellweave.”

I turn away from her again and levitate the spellweave into her hooves. “It was pleasant doin’ business. I’ll be waitin’ to hear from you later this week.” Suddenly I feel an aggressive tug at my shoulder.

“Sir, where are you going? I need your measurements.”

“What?” In a single moment I am surrounded by scissors, needles, cloth, and measuring tape. The white unicorn flying in and out of view.

Fuck I forgot… This is going to be a while. At least I don’t feel as shitty now.

“Master, are you in distress?” I hear Alma speak up. I had almost forgot she was here, she'd been silent this entire time coming to think about it.

“What was that?!” The unicorn losses her concentration as Alma floats to my face.

“Are you in distress?”

“I am alright, Alma. This unicorn is just doin’ her job.”

“Ummm, what is that sir?” the unicorn asks.

“This is Alma. Just don’t mind her she isn't doin’ you any harm.”

“Okay.” She then peers over at Alma. “Sweetie, can you please give me some space to work?” Alma looks at me and I just nod slightly.

“Yes, ‘Rarity’.” She replies.

“Thank you. Now you wanted a jacket?”

“Yes. Two actually and a shirt to go underneath.”

“I remember, now let me get your measurements…. Oh what do I call you?”

“Eli, will be fine.”

“Very well, Eli. After I take the needed measurements, I’ll let you go sweetheart.”

“Seems like a good enough plan.” I state making myself stiff so this can go quickly. As she lines the tape up next to my hooves and chest, I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror. Hmmm, I haven’t actually ever payed attention to how I look.

Looking back at the mirror, I first take notice of my coat. It is very rough with no significantly bright color to it, a light grayish tan color really. My mane is just as unkempt and rough. However, its black with red highlights streaking across it.

Medium length for a stallion, I think. Meh, I don’t look too bad. Could be worse. My view into the mirror is obstructed by a purple mane. Not really expecting that I jump a bit and then I look down and see the mare looking me in the eye.

“I am done. Expect your order to be done within a month or two... maybe three....”

“WHY?” I almost yell.

“Shoosh, shoosh, shoosh, you can’t rush perfection, especially when it is within the making.” She starts to shove me out the door with Alma following close behind. “If you don’t have any other business, I am closing early today. Thank you and feel free to come again.” She hurries me out the door, causing me to lose balance and almost bust my shit. After recovering I look back and see Alma rushing towards me when the door swings shut, about to hit her.

“ALMA!!!” I react teleporting to the door, throwing my left fore hoof in between the door and its frame. Alma continuies to fly forward, not noticing my sudden movement. The door immediately slams into my hoof afterward. CRASH! “FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!” I yell.

Alma looks back at me. “Master, when did you get there?” I withdraw my hoof from the doorway and see the white unicorn in there not caring for what she almost did. “Master?”

My eye twitches. If I wasn’t under Celestia’s light, I’d consider killing this one…. No PONY ever puts Alma in harms way. I could feel magic begin to spill out of my eyes like tears. Why am I so upset? No, I have a right to be upset. This fucking unicorn almost took everything from me by slamming that door carelessly!

“Master?” I hear Alma whimper, as if she were in the distance and not beside me on my shoulder.

“Yes, Alma?”

“Are you ‘okay’?”

“I’m fine.” I wipe my eyes and take a deep breath feeling the magic recede. “I’m fine.” What is with Alma? I think. She’s never asked if I was “okay” before, just what I needed or at the most if I was experiencing “distress”. I don’t know. It just might be that I’ve never noticed because this is the first time I am traveling with her. “We are leavin’, now.”

“Yes, master.” She states as I snap away from the door and the sight of that fucking unicorn. Quickly I start to storm out of the shit hole.

“Master?”

“Yes, Alma?”

“It’s going to be alright.”

What??? Just, ugh... nevermind. I’m done with this place. “Let’s just go. NOW.” I glare at her.

“Yes…” I look away from Alma and continue my march out of here.

I fuckin’ hate this place…..