• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 938 Views, 10 Comments

The Pond - Belgian Waffle



A day out at Equestria's first waterpark!

  • ...
1
 10
 938

Ch. 1 "Arrival"

The Pond

That’s the name of Equestria’s newest attraction.

The name of Equestria’s mega waterpark.

A waterpark that was said to have the scariest, most intense, most awesome water slides in all of Equestria.

It is the only water park in Equestria.

It opens for the first time on this day at 10:00am.

It is 9:47am.

Celestia’s sun was out and shining brightly over Equestria, cooking every plant, tree, and living being that was within its view. Inside a valley between Fillydelphia and Manehattan sat a new plot of land that seemed to be occupied by many unfamiliar structures. Raised platforms that protruded out and above the trees had colorful tunnels, flumes, and chutes snaking their way towards the ground and into various sized pools of water at different angles.

All structures were surrounded by a forest of thick lush tropical trees that provided shade to the ground and covered the floor around the bottom of the slide structures. What surrounded this vast area was a tall stone fence with magical probes that partially extended upwards to beam an invisible shield to keep pegasi from entering the premises without first paying for admission at the front gate.

A line full of brightly colorful ponies looking for a thrilling way to cool off in the blistering summer heat were lined in front of the gate, and the line seemed to go on forever; possibly miles. Many ponies can be seen with towels, saddlebags, sunscreen, sunglasses, and coolers in tow. Many ponies standing near the front that seem to have waited centuries for this day to come have begun to get impatient. Most tapped their hooves, checked their watches, and glanced over the ponies in front of them. Some ponies grumbled and groaned as they continued to bake in the sun. All are simply waiting for the gates to finally be thrown open so they can soak themselves in the cool oasis that is the water park in front of them.

A few miles down the line, one could pick up an especially impatient pony waiting in line… or around the line it seems. She would pace in and out of the queue, leaving and returning to her spot within a distance of only a few meters. Sometimes, she would spread her wings and take to the air to get a good look at the front of the line and see if ponies have started entering yet. She would not sit or stand still, not for what she’s waiting for. She’s just too excited and full of energy to keep restraint.

The cyan pegasus took to the air again after doing some more pacing, but this time to look at the back of the line. She brushed her prismatic mane out of her eyes to check if she’s seeing this correctly… Yep, fewer ponies behind her than there are in front. After staring a few seconds more, she let gravity pull her back to the ground and sat there on the spot with her front hooves crossed in front of her chest, and a frown worn on her face.

“Now calm down Rainbow. Ya’ll get in eventually,” said an orange coat, yellow mane, Stetson hat wearing earth pony. “Ya’ll just have ta be patient. Now Fluttershy already apologized for makin’ us arrive a little late.” The orange pony looked at a yellow pegasus that stood by her right side.

The yellow pegasus hid behind her long pink mane, acting like it was a shield for any outbursts anypony might have had against her; especially any outbursts that would have come from the blue pegasus.

“She needed to make sure her animals were gon’ be taken care of before leaving her home. There’s nothing wrong with that,” the orange pony continued. “So what if were near the back of the line. So long as we get in, we’ll all be satisfied, right? I mean, it’s not like the park’s goin’ anywhere soon.”

The grumpy cyan pegasus finally turned around to face the orange pony. “But Applejack, I wanted to be one of the first ponies to conquer the Rainboom!”

Rainbow pointed towards the water park; more specifically towards a structure from within that was easily noticeable from anywhere in and around the water park. It was a single water slide structure that obviously towered above every other slide structure, and it had 3 slides that started from the very top. Two tunneled flumes that snaked their way left and right with noticeably intense high angle banking and helixes, and one very notable open-flume slide in the center that made a bee-line straight for the ground.

The notable one was the Rainboom freefall speed slide.

The slide shared the same colors as Rainbow’s mane, with the bright color of red starting at the top of the slide and having a shade of dark blue that was visible near the bottom before the trees cut off the view of the end; which was probably colored purple.

The entire complex was also higher than a few carefully placed clouds that a few pegasus workers probably placed to make it seem taller, even though it was already hundreds of feet above the ground.

“You see that? That’s what I’m waiting to get on,” Rainbow pointed. “It’s the baddest, fastest, most awesomest water slide in all of Equestria! They say ponies that have tested the ride have come off with less fur on their backs because of the sheer speed you gain burning them off, and ponies who’ve tested the Filly Flashes,” she swerved her hooves towards the structure, mimicking the other two slide’s directions, “passed out because of the insane g-forces they pulled on the helixes!”

She clasped her hooves together towards Applejack. “I have to be one of the first to ride it Applejack! I just have to!” Rainbow looked as if she was beseeching Applejack to make the line move faster.

“Well, you’ll get your turn. Now stop actin’ like a li’l filly Rainbow Dash, you’re embarrassin’ me!” Applejack said as she glanced around to make sure no other pony in line was watching.

Rainbow turned back around, still on her flank, and crossed her front hooves across her chest with a frustrated look on her face. She gave a slight pause before she asked, “Why is Fluttershy here again? I didn’t know she liked water parks.”

The yellow pegasus hesitantly glanced from around her mane to look at Rainbow. She spoke in a very soft inside voice like she was in a library. “Umm, I though this was the first water park in Equestria?”

Rainbow Dash waved a dismissive hoof towards the shy pony. “Whatever. Why did you choose to come again?”

“Oh. Well. I thought it would be nice to relax for a while. I hear they have this lovely thing they call a lazy river, where you can relax on a raft that floats in a stream that goes in a circle all around the park. There’s these beautiful trees and lush tropical plants along the way that are just blooming with color.” She looked as if what she recalled was a wonderful dream she had last night, even staring off at a distance as she spoke. “I’m not really here for the thrills. Especially not…” Her smile faded as she glanced at the towering behemoth from within the walls of the establishment. “Uhh… eep!”

Fluttershy recoiled back into the safety of her mane after glancing at the Rainboom like it was going to attack her.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

Just then, a screeching noise could be heard echoing out of a nearby loudspeaker. Some ponies covered their ears as they were assaulted by the sound. Others simply grimaced. After a few seconds of the onslaught, a stallion’s voice replaced it. “Fillies and Gentlecolts, are you ready to get wet, face your fears, relax and have the time of your life?!”

Everypony in line erupted into cheers, including the eager cyan pegasus who had let her excitement loose when she shot to the air screaming “YES!”

One pony in particular wasn’t as excited at the announcement. Fluttershy grew wide-eyed as she recalled one thing the speaker said. She repeated the words out loud, stuttering as her heartbeat increased. “F-face… y-y-your…f-f-f-FEARS?”

The announcer continued. “That’s what I wanted to hear! Because guess what?! The Pond. Is. Now. OPEN!”

At the last word, confetti cannons placed around the entrance exploded confetti and streamers up into the air. Somehow, the crowd erupted into even louder cheers than the previous one. Many ponies clopped their hooves on the ground, some threw their hooves in the air, and some jumped into the air; including a mint green unicorn pony that had an ear-to-ear grin.

Rainbow did a few loops in the air before looking forward at the gates opening miles from her location, allowing the flood of ponies to enter. “Woo hoo! My prayers have been answered!”

She finished by returning to the ground and joining Applejack and Fluttershy in the wait for the line to move forward.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” the energetic pegasus said. “I’m finally going to get to ride the Rainboom! This is going to be so awesome!” She practically squeaked the last word out.

“Wow Rainbow, ya’ll look like you’re about to meet the Wonderbolts for the first time,” Applejack responded while giggling a little at the cyan pegasus’ outburst of excitement and energy. “I’m just gonna relax a bit. All that applebuckin’ I did to make up the time I’m gone on this trip has done a number on me, and I need a place ta just lay down. I might even join Fluttershy on that river thing she spoke about.”

When Applejack glanced at the yellow pegasus, she felt worried because of the expression she wore on her face. “Hey sugarcube, what’s wrong? Ya seem like you’ve seen a ghost or somthin’.”

Fluttershy shook her head out of the daze and told Applejack, “Oh, no, I’m fine.”

“Are ya sure. Ya didn’t look fine ta me a few seconds ago.”

Fluttershy gave Applejack a reassuring smile. “No, really, I’m fine. Thank you for asking.”

Applejack wasn’t sure she was telling the truth, but she let it slip anyways. “If ya say so.”

The portion of the line they were in finally started advancing closer to the front gate. It moved at a pace that could match the sprinting speed of Rainbow Dash’s tortoise, Tank.

Even with the torpid speed of progression, Rainbow was still excited to be getting closer and closer to the entrance.

“Rainboom, here I come!”


The strong aroma of sunscreen and chlorine wafted through the morning air. The chlorine smell came from the activated water slides from within the walls of the watery utopia, and the sunscreen smell came from the still-waiting patrons outside the front gate applying the lotion to avoid sunburn as Celestia’s sun continued to radiate down upon the land with full force.

A few hours had passed and Rainbow’s mood eased significantly ever since the line started moving, but she was still very much euphoric in getting closer and closer to the front of the line to get inside.

Applejack wasn’t as eager to go in, but she sure did want to relax the entire time the others were playing. She was going to do the same thing she did at home whenever she relaxed: lay back, pull her hat over her eyes, and nap peacefully.

Applejack had also been making sure Fluttershy was okay. She couldn’t quite figure out what was wrong with her, but she knew the yellow pegasus was growing more uneasy as they came closer and closer to the entrance. Fluttershy kept glancing up at the slides in the park like she had Pinkie senses telling her something bad was going to happen once they got inside. She also wore a worried expression on her face and stayed very quiet for the entire wait.

Applejack was about to ask Fluttershy if she really was okay, but Rainbow Dash cut her off before she could start.

“Look, we’re close!” Dash exclaimed. She hovered slightly above the ground while pointing ahead. Sure enough, there were only a few more groups ahead of them left in line. The front ended at a window where a pony was administering tickets to enter the park.

“Oh, that’s good. I can’t wait ta get inside and relax,” replied the orange country earth pony. She took a last look at Fluttershy, who had started to shiver because of how close they now realized they were, before reaching into her saddlebag to find the bits she brought to pay for admission. She counted her bits, and then removed her head from the bag to wait for the groups ahead of them to get their tickets and go.

Soon, they reached the counter. Rainbow rushed up to the window immediately after the last pony of the last group moved away. She was greeted by the ticket lady, who had a very dull expression and spoke in a very uninterested attitude. “Welcome to the pond. How many ponies are with you today?”

Rainbow was the one to answer her question, and did so with a completely opposite attitude. “Three mares, ma’am!”

The cashier levitated three wristbands from under the desk for the ponies to wear in the park before responding. “That’ll be 18 bits please.”

Immediately Applejack froze with a shocked expression on her face. “Pardon me?! Did I hear ya say eighteen bits?!”

The mare behind the window responded in the same monotonous tone she had before. “Yes ma’am. Eighteen bits. Six bits per pony.”

Applejack seemed upset by this. “Now hold on one minute! I thought I read in the brochure Rainbow showed me that it was 5 bits per pony. Are yall’ tryin’ ta trick me out of my money or somethin’?”

“No ma’am,” the cashier responded. “The 5 bits per pony only applies when you order your tickets in advance. Here at the gate, it’s 6 bits per pony.”

Applejack was shocked by that. “Hey, that’s not fair. Now who would make up a stupid rule like that anyway?”

“Relax Applejack, just pay her the bits and we’ll get going,” said Rainbow Dash, obviously wanting the situation to get over with so she could get inside.

Applejack looked at Rainbow with sweat forming on her head. “Umm… well, umm… ya see…” Something in Applejack’s throat kept her from saying what she needed to tell Rainbow. She simply swallowed the lump, rubbed the back of her head with a hoof, and gave her the bad news. “Well, the problem is… that we… don’t exactly… have enough bits to go inside.”

Rainbow’s eyes slowly grew wide at what Applejack had said, clearly showing that what was said had sunk very deep into her. “W-… we… we WHAT?!” She couldn’t believe what she just heard. Maybe she heard her wrong. Maybe this was a cruel joke played on her for AJ’s benefit. As much as she would hate for it to be that, she just hoped that that was what it was and not what she thinks she just said. Anything but…

“Uh… I only brought enough to pay 5 bits per pony, not 6… which means we’re short 3 bits.” Applejack turned away slightly from Rainbow, prepared for anything the pegasus might do.

Fluttershy looked at Applejack, then at the now heated pony while taking a step back herself.

Rainbow’s breathing deepened. No… this couldn’t be… this just can’t be, she thought to herself. Wait, what if… “Fluttershy, do you have anything on you?”

Fluttershy slightly reeled back while she answered, “Umm… I gave Applejack my share to pay for the entrance fee. I’m sorry, Rainbow.”

Rainbow was now livid. “I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS! Now I won’t be able to ride the Rainboom because we can’t get into the park! This can’t be happening to me! THIS JUST CAN’T!” Rainbow looked on the verge of angry tears and was breathing heavily, obviously peeved that she traveled this far to turn away.

The pony at the counter looked unmoved, and was growing impatient at the group in front of her. “Look, if you don’t have enough bits then you’ll just have to leave and come back another time. I’m sorry, but there are other ponies that have enough to enter and you’re blocking them.”

Rainbow quickly turned to blast away at the pony behind the glass window. “YOU’LL FEEL MORE SORRY ONCE I’M THROUGH WITH YO-“

She was interrupted by a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and found a few guard ponies giving her a look that said “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

Rainbow stared at the enforcers before laughing nervously. “Heh! Umm… I think I’ll be going now!” She held a nervous grin as she trotted away from the window. Applejack and Fluttershy hesitated before they followed along.


Rainbow sat on her flank at a distance from the park entrance and continued watching ponies after ponies pay for their tickets to enter. They got to go in while she was left in the cold, dark, outside world. Well, that was how she felt about this situation, even though it was noon and scorching hot outside with the sun in the middle of the sky baking her and everything around her. Still, she kept a sorrowful look on her face as she continued to stare.

Applejack and Fluttershy stood at a small distance away from the depressed pony.

Applejack didn’t know what to do to make it up to Rainbow. She was afraid of talking to the pegasus for the fear that she might lash out at her for not bringing extra bits just in case something like this were to ever happen. At least she now only had Rainbow to worry about since Fluttershy seemed to be much more at ease. She still couldn't understand what got Shy so shaken before, but as long as she now seemed stable then Applejack didn't have to worry about her.

While still staring at the line of ponies still advancing into the park, Rainbow decided to speak without looking at the other two ponies. “Hey guys?”

Applejack and Fluttershy looked at her, waiting for what she had to say.

Dash continued. “… I guess we can come back another day… It’s just a big slide after all, I guess.”

Applejack took a few steps toward Rainbow and spoke gently. “That’s the spirit Rainbow. We can always come back another time, I’m sure of it. I’ll be sure ta bring extra bits along next time, I promise.”

Rainbow sighed deeply before getting up off of the ground and turning to her fellow companions. “Yeah, sure… Thanks for coming with me you guys. Lets go home.”

Soon they started trotting away from the park and in the opposite direction of the seemingly never-ending line of later-arrived ponies still waiting to get inside. They felt they were in no rush, so they walked slowly back in the direction of where they came from that morning; heading toward the long path that lead them back home to Ponyville.

Rainbow took one last glance back at the park like it was going to be her last time ever seeing it again. Applejack and Fluttershy stood by her sides to share the same view.

“I’ll be back,” Rainbow said softly. “I know it.”

Rainbow then turned around to continue the path towards home, when suddenly…

“BOO!”

Rainbow yelped as she jumped a good 6 meters off the ground and landed on her back on the dirt ground. She stayed on the ground frozen stiff like a fainting goat for a few seconds when she was suddenly attacked by something that tightly grasped hold of her entire body. Due to the speed of everything happening, she yelled and flailed her hooves while trying to squirm her way free of whatever was holding her.

She stopped yelling once she looked down to see something that resembled pink cotton candy that was brushing across her chest. The thing also had hooves and a really squeaky voice.

“Ahh! I knew it, I knew it! It is you, Dashie!”

Rainbow recognizes the voice, and remembers how that voice was the one voice that always called her Dashie whenever the voice’s owner said her name. She relaxed at hearing this pony’s voice, but was still quite bewildered at what was going on.

“Huh? Pinkie Pie? Is that you?” Rainbow asked the pony still locking her in a tight hug.

The pink party pony looked up to meet eye to eye with Rainbow. “It sure is! I’m so glad to be meeting you guys here!”

Applejack and Fluttershy seemed to be giggling at what took place in front of them. When Rainbow noticed them giggling, she brushed Pinkie off and got up off of the ground while brushing her coat with a hoof.

“Pinkie, what are you doing here?!” Rainbow asked, still bewildered at meeting the pink earth pony here.

The Euphoric newcomer was wearing a blue visor hat and had her own saddlebags on her, with a pouch that seemed to encase a towel for herself. “I’m here for the water park, duh! Isn’t that why you’re here?”

Applejack answered that question. “Well we were, but we didn’t bring enough bits to get inside. I hope you have enough, ‘cause it’s 6 bits at the gate.”

“And have fun waiting in line to get to the park,” Rainbow inserted, pointing toward the large line that extended from the gate past the group of ponies.

The pink pony glanced at the line. “Oh, I don’t have to wait in line. I already got my tickets a week in advance. They were only 5 bits then. I wonder what made them want to raise the price?”

“Wait, did you just say you had tickets? Tickets?” Rainbow asked, obviously emphasizing the “s” in the word “tickets.”

“Sure do! I have three extra ones right here!” Pinkie reached into her saddlebag and pulled out 4 park admission tickets.

Rainbow’s jaw dropped at the sight of the four tickets. Four tickets right there! One for Pinkie and three that could be used for her and the other two! “But… but how did you get three extra tickets?”

She placed the tickets back in the bag so she could speak. “Oh, I ordered four tickets so I could bring 3 other friends with me! I asked Rarity if she wanted to go, but she said she didn’t like the idea of getting her hair wet; especially if the water had chemicals in it. Then I asked Twilight if she could come, but she said that she needed to study for an exam the princess was going to give her. Spike wanted to come, but he had to stay and help Twilight with studying for the exam.”

“Well, then why didn’t you come to us with the tickets? Me especially?” Rainbow pointed a hoof to her chest.

“I did, remember? I asked each of you if you wanted to go do something together and you,” pointing to Rainbow Dash, “said you had more training to do, and you,” pointing to Applajack, “said that you were going to be busy doing something and wouldn’t tell me what it was you were busy with. I skipped Fluttershy though. I didn’t think she would like water slides.”

Applejack looked guilty because of the way she avoided eye contact with Pinkie and swung her hooves above the dirt. Rainbow Dash simply face-hoofed. Obviously what they had told Pinkie were excuses to come to the water park without telling her.

“You mean to tell me that you were asking us if we wanted to come here?” Rainbow asked, not believing what she had heard.

“Yeah-huh!” Pinkie nodded while responding. “So since you’re here and not able to get in, would you like to use the tickets?” Pinkie looked towards Rainbow specifically, knowing full well that she would be the most eager pony to want to get inside.

Rainbow looked at Pinkie with a stunned expression, still not believing what this mare in front of here just asked. “What? Y-you mean it? Even though we made up excuses not to go with you, you still forgive us?”

“Well of course, silly! It wouldn’t be as fun without going with my bestest-best friends!” Pinkie beamed at what she said.

Rainbow almost felt tears of joy well up in her eyes. “Wow, Pinkie! That’s so nice of you!” Rainbow then leaned in quickly to hug Pinkie. “Thank you!”

Pinkie returned the hug. “Aww, it was nothing Dashie! Now come on girls, let’s go have some fun!”

Rainbow let go of her friend and wiped a tear from her eye before speaking. “You’re right Pinkie. Let’s do this!”

Then all four ponies turned towards the waterpark and marched back to the front gate to enter.