• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 2,561 Views, 93 Comments

A Dark Shade of the Past - InfinityBreach



You can't always judge a book by its cover. When you meet someone who controls darkness though...

  • ...
5
 93
 2,561

Green Is The Color...

A Dark Shade of the Past
by InfinityBreach

Chapter 40: Green Is The Color

Twilight levitated the book up to her, examining it. It was now the day after they had gotten back from the Gala, and Twilight held off on the research until everypony had a day to relax. Looking over her shoulder to make sure Spike was still asleep.

Confirming that he was, Twilight took a deep breath and further looked over the details of the book.

It was pitch black, with gold writing on the front. The words E. M. D. D. were plastered on it.

"Maybe some sort of government organization? But there were dates from the pre-diarchy inside… maybe it's a log of historical issues?" Twilight mused to herself. "Well, I guess there is only one way to find out…"

She flipped open the book, looking inside.

10/10/10

I've been told to keep a journal of everything that happens throughout my day… even 'she' says she used to keep one, though she called it a diary. I guess I can call this a diary too.

Today I met with a lot of other… things. I'd learned about them in school, but I've never seen them before. They were interesting to say the least.

One was this dragon, he seemed pretty nice though, and his jokes were pretty funny too. He definitely wasn't like what I had read about dragons before. Oh! He was also able to use this cool magic! I've never seen anything like it before. He was conjuring things out of nowhere.

There was this small group of equine-like creatures too. Four to be exact.

From what I understand, two of them were pony sisters, the blue and white ones. The blue one was very loud, and talked strangely. She floated around on her wings for most of the time. But her voice was really loud. I could tell that she didn't mean to, but it sounded like she thought she was supposed to speak that way; loud and fancy. Her sister was the same way, except that her voice was much gentler, and just loud enough to be heard over us talking. She seemed rather nice, though.

There was also a black stallion there too. He looked a lot larger than the other ponies. He didn't really speak that much during the entire meeting.

Lastly there was something.. I don't know exactly what. But it was transparent, and blue. It also glowed a bit too, as if it was made of magic or something. But it was definitely equine-ish. Looked like it was part cloud too, if you ask me.

We were brought together by this strange pony, who we knew was one of the creators of the world. She had a horn and wings, and her magic was much more powerful then anything I've seen before. She had a cream colored coat with a red mane. And the aura she produced around her… wow. She was definitely a creator.

But anyway, I'm getting off track. The entire reason we met was what really blew my mind.

Apparently, the creator was handed this world, and remade it into a different image using a book as her canvas and the thing she used to write the world's story, the Element of Harmony; something that holds the very foundation of this world, that she wanted us to find out on our own.

But, why us? That's what I was wondering the entire time. Then she told us something like a prophecy. In the beginning, two from the creators would exist. Two from the concepts would exist. And finally, two from the fans would exist. All of different species to bring harmony to the world, six to make one. Then one to make six. These would be the Guardians of Harmony, and protect and control the world to make sure it stays safe.

And we were those Guardians.

Twilight closed the book, letting out a sigh.

"Okay, so this is the book I needed. Or rather, the diary I needed... A creator of the world, huh? I know many ponies deem the princesses as goddesses… but to actually create the world?" Twilight pondered the idea for a moment. "Guardians of the Elements… hmm…"

Twilight heard a knock at the front door.

"It's a public library! You can come in!"

Twilight heard the door open lightly, and turned to see her friend Fluttershy there.

"Oh hey, what's up Fluttershy?" Twilight asked with a smile.

"Oh, I just came to see if there were any good hearth's warming eve recipe books." Fluttershy stated, floating up to some of the shelves.

"Why do you need those?" Twilight questioned. "You don't usually like cooking anything big for yourself."

"Well, I'm not this time. My animal friends will be all asleep soon, and I have a guest coming over." Fluttershy explained, still gazing over the books.

"Oh really? I figured Eclipsal would have been going back to Applejack's since cider season is over." Twilight said.

"Oh, he did. He decided that it was time to at least try to get over what happened with Rainbow. He still isn't happy about it, but he doesn't want to be afraid of going to where he lives just because somepony is there." Fluttershy replied, pulling a book out and smiling at it.

"Well good for him. That Rainbow though… I know she cares about you a lot because of how close you two were, but to do what she did to Eclipsal? I mean I can sort of understand the thing with picking between you and Eclipsal... that's a tough choice." Twilight paused for a moment, thinking of whether she would be able to choose between Spike or her friends, before shaking the thought out of her head. "But with what happened at the bog? Loyalty has got to be a really tricky thing, but there are some lines you don't cross. And that line is ruining a friendship by blaming somepony for something that was completely out of hoof."

"Yeah, I understand what you're saying." Fluttershy said, floating down to the table by Twilight. "Rainbow has always been really stubborn and refuses to believe she's wrong whenever a disagreement occurs. She's always really loyal too… but the thing about loyalty is that you can't be equally loyal to everypony. There will always be somepony who is more important to you when it comes down to the most vital moments."

"Yeah…" Twilight muttered, thinking once again about the Elements. Her friends were meant to embody the elements. But what about the Guardians she heard about? What was special about them?

"Well I think it's about time I go. I need to see if there are any fresh foods still out from the harvests." Fluttershy said, turning to leave.

"Ah, wait." Twilight said, making Fluttershy stop from leaving. "You said you're going to have a guest with you, right? Who's coming to visit you?"

"Oh, just Discord. He said he wanted to come and visit for the holidays." Fluttershy replied with a smile. "I can probably introduce him to Eclipsal, too."

"Y-you're letting Discord come here? Again? How long will he be here for?" Twilight muttered, worry crossing her face.

"Oh, Twilight. You need to stop worrying. He's changed. He really has. He'll be here until sometime in February I think. Oh and he wants to talk to you about something when he gets here." Fluttershy said.

"Really? Did he say what he wanted to talk about?" Twilight asked.

Fluttershy shook her head. "No, he hasn't. It's apparently really important to him though. And um sorry Twilight, but I kind of really do have to go now."

Twilight let out a sigh. "Okay. See you later, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy left, leaving a puzzled Twilight behind.

"There's no way I'll be able to ask Discord about any of this. He's made of riddles, not answers." Twilight sighed again, before turning to the diary.

"I guess it's back to the books."

*Eclipsal's POV*

I lay down on the ground of the barn I was given as my room, just staring at the ceiling.

I'm just bored, I guess.

Nothing to do, really.

"Oh, why hello there Eclipsal!"

I look up to see Rarity standing at the doorway looking down at me.

"Hi there, Rarity. What are you doing out here? I know you wouldn't get your hooves dirty without a reason." I stated.

"Ah yes, you are quite right. I was actually hoping I could get Applejack to help me with retrieving some gems that just came in from the Crystal Empire, down at the train station." Rarity replied.

"Applejack is down at the other end of the orchard, trying to move some water away from that area. Something about the water freezing the roots and messing with the plant." I told her, waving one of my hoofs in the air.

"Well do you think you would be able to help me, Eclipsal?" Rarity asked, giving me a pleading set of eyes.

I stretched and got up, shifting the laziness out of my bones. "Yeah, sure thing. I probably need the exercise anyway. I ate way too much at that donut place in Canterlot."

"Well, I did warn you on how addicting they could be." Rarity said, attempting not to laugh.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. So which way is the train station?" I asked, walking up to the barn door.

Rarity smiled, motioning for me to follow her. "Just stick with me and we'll be there in no time."

*Spike's POV*

Spike had just woke up, and started cleaning the kitchen. He looked outside and saw two of his friends outside.

He stared out the window at Eclipsal and Rarity walking side by side, laughing while heading to the Carousel Boutique. He could barely hear part of their conversation.

"… just been really tired lately…" Eclipsal said, his voice muffled from outside.

"…that feeling…" Rarity replied to him.

"…the Victory incident…" Eclipsal continued.

At that point, they had passed by the library and had continued on there way, when Spike noticed what Eclipsal was carrying.

A cart full of gems.

Spike's face burned slightly from jealousy. Wasn't it his job to help Rarity with things like that?

Then again, he wouldn't have been strong enough to carry that heavily filled cart… but still.

"Why am I getting so angry over this?" Spike muttered to himself, shaking his head.

Spike turned as he heard a yell from upstairs.

"Spike! I need your help!" Twilight yelled from her room, most likely.

He sighed, and started heading her way. Besides, Eclipsal is a good guy, and so he wouldn't try and take her from him, would he?

Too bad he is. You're losing your special somepony to Eclipsal, who isn't even a pony!

Author's Note:

(A/N) I'm writing as fast as I can to attempt to catch up to where I'm supposed to be before Valentines Day. Or Hearts and Hooves day. I want this story to be back on track and linear with our timeline again.

FiMFiction:

SpikeDark- How do we know this is Derpy though?

Morfonius- Thank you for an idea for the next chapter. I really needed to throw that in.

Dainn- It's kind of like what Fluttershy taught Discord, except in reverse. Order keeps things safe, but too much order ruins everything.

Telly Vision- How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW

FanFiction:

dragondude3538- Yup, pretty much. When she gets challenged by someone she finds to be an enemy, she gets a little bit crazy sometimes.

Jacob shives- Why thank you, good sir. Hopefully everything will make sense in the end.