• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 2,562 Views, 93 Comments

A Dark Shade of the Past - InfinityBreach



You can't always judge a book by its cover. When you meet someone who controls darkness though...

  • ...
5
 93
 2,562

Mysteries

A Dark Shade of the Past
by InfinityBreach

Chapter 39: Mysteries

Celestia held her head in her hooves.

"What is wrong with me?" she muttered, grimacing in pain.

A dark figure formed in the shadows behind her. "You're becoming what you've done."

She spun around, her eyes narrowing at her recent guest.

"Darkness." She snarled. "What brings you here?"

"You do. As always. Your plotting had not gone without me noticing it. Though you may be able to force me out, you should know that at full power I am almost equal in power to that of your mother." Darkness stated, his eyes glowing from the shadows.

Celestia angrily stared at him. "I told you not to speak of my mother."

"Why?" Darkness asked, circling the white mare. "I operate all dimensions, but you know who created this one. Why not give her any credit? She did a fine job raising you six… too bad you all fell."

Celestia sighed. "In more ways than one."

Darkness eyed the solemn Celestia, curiously.

"Your student." Darkness said. "She interests me."

Celestia got into an attacking state. "I won't let you hurt her."

"I never plan on it. Neither does Eclipsal, as they have named him. I can assure you that much." Darkness said, now sitting down in front of Celestia.

"I do not trust you." Celestia stated.

"You shouldn't. But you should believe me." Darkness replied.

"Why would I? Your little accomplices have put my student and her friends in danger." Celestia said, deciding to sit down as well.

"They are not my accomplices." Darkness sighed. "They are this world's darkness. Shaded Darkness… or should I say, Eclipsal… is my darkness."

"This world does not have darkness. It has harmony." Celestia replied.

"No. No it doesn't, and that is what you aren't understanding. Darkness is a part of harmony."

"I refuse to believe that. You're lying."

"And if I wasn't? Then what have you done to your friends?"

"You're lying."

"You're becoming what you've done."

"YOU'RE LYING!"

"Oh really? Now am I, De-"

"SHUT UP!" Celestia yelled, impaling the shadow.

"YOU'RE LYING!" She continued, blasting light into the darkness.

"ORDER IS HARMONY!" Celestia finished, her room filling with a bright light.

The light died down to a shimmer, to show a collapsed princess, tears rolling down her eyes.

"Order is harmony…" she muttered.

The ponies outside cheered, the bright flash of fireworks signaling the end of the Gala.

*Eclipsal's POV*

Twilight looked up at the skylight, seeing the bright flashes of fireworks going off outside of them.

"Come on you two, we need to hurry before the guards head over here." Twilight yelled to us.

I could hear Spike on the opposite side of the archive, yelling back. "Why do we need to even sneak in here anyway? You're Celestia's personal student. We're allowed here!"

I head Twilight groan, before she yelled back. "Because, the Princess can't know that I'm here!"

At this point, we had been looking through at least eighteen shelves of books, with absolutely nothing found.

"Hey, Twilight? Are you sure there is actually something about the past in here?" I shouted at her.

"There just HAS to be! These are the archives, it must be here." She replied.

A few more minutes later, we heard a loud click from the door. I immediately stopped my magic, returning all the books I had placed.

The doors opened, with Princess Luna walking in.

Twilight snuck over to my side, and I saw Spike begin to climb the shelves of the archive, to begin making it to where we are.

"What are we gonna do, Twilight? Sneaking by guards is one thing; but this is Princess Luna." I asked her, attempting to be as quiet as possible.

"I don't know. I wasn't expecting this." Twilight whispered. "We have to be careful, though. She's great with sneaking around, so she might already know we are."

Spike got to the shelves above us, and I used my magic to grab him since mine didn't glow like Twilight's did.

"Thanks, Eclipsal." Spike said, as I gently set him on my back.

"No problem." I smiled, before turning to Twilight to see if she had any ideas on what to do.

Twilight was looking very intensely at Princess Luna, who was standing in the middle of the Archives, looking around.

"Cometh out, I know you are here." The Princess calmly stated, continuing to turn in a circle.

"Crap." Twilight muttered. "She does know we're here.."

"How do we get out, then?" Spike asked.

The Princesses's voice got slightly louder. "I do not sense any malevolent intent from you, whoever you may be, though your magic… it is interesting. I ask that you release your illusion, and nothing will happen to you."

"Illusion?" I asked Twilight, who shook her head.

"I'm not doing anything…" She whispered.

There was a thud, as a book fell right in front of us, and I looked up to see the Princess turn towards us.

A grey blur flew past us, and zoomed out of the archives, with the Princess right on it's tail.

"What was that?" Spike asked Twilight.

I looked back to her, and saw that she was reading the book that was dropped, and smiling at it.

"I don't know who or what that was… but it got us the book we needed." Twilight said.

"Then let's get out of here, shall we?" I said, which gained nods from the rest.

*Castle Entrance*

"That sounds great!" Shining exclaimed, standing next to Applejack. "Cadance has really missed your cooking since the wedding, and with the recipe you just gave me this year's Hearth's Warming Eve is gonna be amazing!"

"Heh. Yer welcome, Shining." Applejack said with a laugh. "I'll talk ta Granny bout gettin some more apples sent out to the Crystal Empire, just for ya."

"You have no idea how much I appreciate this, Applejack. Thanks. Now I gotta go check in with Celesta; she's been up in her room all day. Tell Twily I said sorry I couldn't say goodbye, alright?"

Applejack nodded her head, saying her goodbyes to the captain of the royal guard.

"Is it safe to come out, yet?" I asked, slightly raising my head from the bushes Twilight, Spike, and I were in.

"Yea, come on out, y'all." Applejack said, prompting us to walk out of the bushes.

"That was close." Twilight said. "Shining can tell whenever I'm up to something, so thanks for the heads up, Eclipsal."

"No problem! Let's meet back up with the others, now." I suggested, as we walked outside, where everypony was taking their leave.

I saw a bright flash of colors out of the corner of my eye, and turned to see Rainbow flying towards us.

"Twilight! What happened!? This grey blur blasted out of the archives, and Luna took some of the Night Guard to find her!" Rainbow asked, now hovering above us.

"I'm not quite sure, but whoever it was helped us get the book we needed." Twilight explained.

I looked around to see Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie slowly approaching us.

Fluuershy was the first to speak. "Twilight I'm sorry that I didn't warn you about that grey pony!"

"What are you talking about Fluttershy?" Twilight asked, a curious look on her face.

"I was talking to the animals in the garden, and apparently they knew about a pony breaking into the Archives! For awhile I thought it was you… until they described the intruder as a grey pony…" Fluttershy explained, running her hoof around in a circle on the ground.

Twilight looked away, deep in thought. "Whoever broke in with us must know something about this. Come on girls, I think it's time we went home. I have a few things I need to research…" She said, looking towards the book she held.

"So no Pony Joes?" Spike asked, looking slightly disheartened.

A few of the ponies in the group smiled, rolling their eyes.

"Come on girls, we might as well go and have some fun tonight, right?" I told them. "Besides, who knows when we'll have another time to have a break?"

"Yeah, yeah! Let's listen to Eclipsal!" Spike exclaimed, running up to my side.

"I'll admit, my hooves do hurt a bit. I can go for a bit of relaxing food with friends." Rarity added, walking to us.

"Oh, I like the coffee they have there!" Fluttershy said, followed by Pinkie Pie who was ready to get away from the boring ponies of the Gala.

"Yeah, let's listen to Eclipsal! Come on Twilight, you can't be all serious all the time." Rainbow said, throwing a hoof around me. I brushed her hoof back off of me, still mad at her for what she had done before.

She kept rolling with her debate however. "Besides, we all went along with your plan to come here, so why not?"

Twilight stared at us for a moment before smiling and shaking her head. "Fine, fine. We can go."

We let out a small cheer, as Twilight trotted towards us and led us to our next destination.

Meanwhile, a white alicorn stared out of her balcony window, towards the home of the Elements. Ponyville. The hotspot for all things bad that could and would happen.

A brief flash of anger betrayed her usually serene face, as she did something she never thought she would have to do.

She reached up towards her crown, before freezing. His dual persona is still trapped in the stone, right?

She pulled a crystal out of her crown, and tapped her glowing horn with it. "Drastic times call for drastic measures… or more like draconequus measures."

The horn glowed a bright red, before dimming down to a shimmer.

"Discord. I need your assistance."

*Everfree Forest*

A grey blur slowed to a halt, between two trees. The pony turned its head towards the ruins that lay beyond the valley. It let out a sigh, knowing the Night Guard was still close by.

If it were lucky, it could make back to Ponyville in the next few hours.

But it wasn't.

It had lost so much since it's young age, and the fact that he still existed led it to an immense joy.

If there was one thing it learned on it's adventures though, it was that there was always something worth fighting for. That time was something to be valued, and had to be protected. That history always repeated itself until one such being would put a stop to the cycle.

It's eyes flew open, with a green fire sizzling within them before being glazed over in gold.

It would stop her this time.

It would save everypony.

Author's Note:

(A/N) So I finally got to see the Discord episode... thank god. Now I can start this up again. Ready? START!

FanFiction:

Kiri the brony- I guess we'll see, huh?

FiMFiction:

N/A