• Published 4th May 2014
  • 482 Views, 7 Comments

The Modern Ponetheus - Hex Mark



An alternate take on Frankenstein in the Ponyverse

  • ...
0
 7
 482

What am I?

Soft, slow hoof-steps on the dirt path, the conglomerate wandered towards the town. Its wings flapped, ears flicked, and horn sparked. It was frustrated, frustrated that it seemed that no matter how long it was walking, it would never reach the place. Indeed, it was slow, lumbering, unfamiliar with its body. Along its slow path, it began to wonder about everything around it. It knew what a door was, and it knew that the fire in the shack was a danger to it. But it didn't know much else. All the conglomerate really knew was that Mother would have the answers, or at least would know more than it did.

THUNK! it stopped, dual-colored eyes blinking as it stared down at a hunk of wood that had smacked it on the barrel. Putting pressure on its unused joints, the creature knelt down, prodding it with a pearl hoof.THUNK! another one smacked it, this time on the horn. It flinched, a sudden surge coursing through its spine. It looked up, seeing no less than three ponies. They were somewhat shorter than it as it stood back up, tilting its head.

"S-Stay back!" a mint-green one shouted at it, causing it to blink once more. It didn't move from its spot. A moment of silence, the creature turned around, to see if anything was behind it. They couldn't be talking to it, could they? The conglomerate shrugged and stepped over the two pieces of wood, only for a much larger one to be chucked, knocking it off its hoofs, causing its face to smack dead-center in the dirt.

What? it wondered, pushing itself back up, stepping back. One...one...and one more time.. it recounted, pointing at each hunk of wood on the ground. Every single one of which had been aimed at and hit him dead center. Stepping backwards, the creature's heartbeat got a little faster. It wasn't very fast to begin with, but the conglomerate was able to feel the increased tremors, putting a hoof to its breast in confusion.

It...got fast.... the creature pondered, stepping back once more before turning around. This was met with a fourth hunk of wood striking its right foreleg, causing it to lose balance and flop onto the ground once more after a soft ripping and a thud, the sound of galloping growing fainter and fainter. It tried to push itself up once more and... something wasn't right. It felt the ground on one hoof, but the other it was absent. A slight chill brushed on its barrel, as it glimpsed a white...thing..It looked like it had been torn off to it and...

"Is...this...mine?" it asked itself, using its free hoof to pull the white object closer. It was cool to the touch, a little heavy and...yet unsettling. Eyes traveled to where its leg should be, and that was when the conglomerate flinched. "It came...off? On...go on..." it murmured to itself, trying to reattach its torn leg. Pressing on it didn't work. Maybe if it propped it up and tried to walk with it as if it was still there? No, the creature only fell back down, rolling down a slope to its right. For its dear unlife, it clung to the disembodied leg, not caring how it tumbled down the slope.

The rolling slowed down, and soon stopped as the creature let out a soft sigh, but its face contorted in confusion when it felt something in its mane...it was soft...warm. Trying to roll itself over to be on its belly only resulted in its face pressing into it. Arching its neck to take its face out, it stared at a rippling...something. It was bluish...mostly clear. The ripples slowed as the creature wondered. After several seconds, it finally came to a conclusion. Water...this is water... the creature's rainbow mane dripped, but the hetero-chrome eyes widened upon the sight of the reflection. It pushed itself back, away from the lake in a panic...and then it returned to face what it had seen before.

It didn't know what to make of it...two colored eyes...a face that looked like it was lumped together, although it was effeminate. Wet multi-colored mane, pearl white horn. The creature was amazed that such a thing was looking at it, and even more so when it placed its severed leg beside it, using its free leg to try to touch the creature...only to see the water ripple again. There was no hoof-on-hoof contact...no utterance of any form. Swishing the dipped hoof around, the creature slowed down as its eyes began to well up with tears. Slowly, it began to realize that this...thing...this monstrosity that was staring back at it...was none other than the conglomerate itself. Craning its neck, it saw the patchwork body and was even more distraught. Scooping up its severed leg, it lowered itself back down, not wanting to look at the water nor itself. Eyes shut, face buried in its legs, the conglomerate cried silently.

"What....am...I?"

[TBC]