• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 3,473 Views, 70 Comments

Fall Down - PresentPerfect



Twilight Sparkle understands the value of friendship and love. She has experienced a lifetime of emotion. And she knows that whenever she falls, Rainbow Dash will be there to pick her up.

  • ...
23
 70
 3,473

XI

Fall Down
by Present Perfect

XI

"...Her name is Peppermint Sparkle."

The five ponies gathered around Twilight's bed, cooing a hushed "Aww!"

"She's so tiny!" Pinkie stage-whispered. "She's so tiny, Twilight, I can't stand it! Eeeeee!" She shoved her hoof in her own mouth.

"She's absolutely gorgeous, Twilight," Rarity said, brushing the sleeping newborn's red and white striped mane so gently with her magic that not a hair moved out of place.

"I can see why ya picked the name," Applejack said.

"She looks just like--" At a glance from Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy stopped. "I-I mean, she has your horn, Twilight. You must be so proud."

"Yes." Twilight leaned back and closed her eyes. "Mostly I'm just tired."

"And who could blame you, dear?" Rarity nodded. "I recall my mother being rather put out for nearly a week after Sweetie Belle was born."

"Same thing happened with my momma and Apple Bloom," Applejack said, chuckling softly. "My poor pa was beside himself and..."

She trailed off as the sound of soft weeping filled the room.

Fluttershy put a hoof on her friend. "Twilight, what's wrong?"

Twilight scrubbed her free hoof across her cheeks, the tags hanging from her hospital bracelet clinking softly. "I-it's nothing. Probably just... early-onset post-partum depression." Her smile was as plastic as the dangling tags. "I read about that, you know, to get prepared for--"

"Twilight." Rainbow Dash had spoken so quietly, yet some power in her voice caused them all to turn their attentions to her. "C'mon, you can tell us."

A lump sank down Twilight's throat. "I just couldn't help... When you started talking about your families, I realized..." She blinked, her eyes glistening. "She'll never have a father to love..." The words faded away into a sob.

Rainbow Dash's face darkened momentarily. Then, with that same calm power, she said, "Twilight, stop."

Twilight did, surprising herself, and looked at her.

"After what he did, he's not worth thinking about."

Around the bed, her other friends nodded.

"I agree."

"Mm-hmm!"

"Yeah, forget him."

"Just think about your little girl."

Rainbow snorted. "So one pony isn't gonna be there for your filly. Just think about who will be there!"

"A mom who's the smartest pony ever," Applejack said, smiling.

"And a princess!" Rarity added.

Pinkie Pie jumped up. "Ooh, and your brother and Princess Cadence!" Fluttershy nodded emphatically.

"And four of the coolest aunts she could ever ask for," Rainbow Dash said, smiling at last. "That's a whole heck of a lot, if you ask me."

"Say," Applejack said, leaning toward Rainbow, "ain'tcha forgettin' to count somepony in there, RD?"

Rainbow smirked. "Nah. I'm on a totally different level than you guys when it comes to coolness. No offense."

Applejack rolled her eyes. Pinkie giggled, and Twilight couldn't help but chuckle.

"And, uh..." Rainbow licked her lips and lowered her head towards Twilight. "I thought maybe we could talk a little later. When you're not 'put out' and stuff."

"Oh?" Twilight blinked, and her filly shifted slightly. Rarity and Fluttershy leaned forward over the bed, staring at Rainbow Dash, who blushed and scratched at the back of her neck.

"Yeah, well... I know you're gonna be an awesome mom and all." She swallowed. "But I know first-hoof how hard single parenting can be. A-and it'd be great if you had somepony to help you out, right?"

Twilight's eyebrows rose. As Rainbow stood there, blushing and stammering, a smile slowly formed on Twilight's lips. And as she looked at her friend, something old rekindled.