• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 2,241 Views, 178 Comments

The Voice of the Sun - Lev the Lurker



Lunaverse Story: Raindrops and Lyra travel to the far-off Griffon Kingdoms to stop an agent of Corona from recruiting Equestria's neighbors as allies for the Tyrant Sun.

  • ...
7
 178
 2,241

Unveiled

Author's Note:

Written by Talon and Thorn.

Thanks to Lev the Lurker for the original concept of this story that I have since built upon, standing on the shoulders of giants as it were.
Thanks to Rainbow Double Dash and Grass and Clouds 2 for their suggestions and to Do Contra for his truly heroic effort as editor.
Comments are always welcome.

Chapter 10: Unveiled

Lyra tried to suppress a sigh as she made her way out of the room. That hadn’t gone well. She understood that Raindrops cared a lot for her new coltfriend but maybe just a little too much, she clearly wasn’t thinking all that straight right now. Of course she couldn’t entirely disagree with that, her own thinking was hardly clear when it came to Bon Bon, but she’d known Bonnie for years, not just a few days. Although were things really all that different? There’d been times when she’d done some pretty stupid things for her love, was that any different from how Raindrops was acting now? The younger mare seemed to be caught up in some sort of fantasy of a perfect romance. With her greater experience Lyra knew that things were rarely that simple, you didn’t just bump into somepony and live happily ever after, you had to work at relationships. Still, maybe Raindrops deserved the right to make the same mistakes as everypony else when it came to her love life, after all things might even work out. If anyone deserved to find someone to care about it was Raindrops, the poor filly normally seemed so depressed, she deserved a chance of happiness.

Lyra’s train of thought was derailed when she realised she wasn’t alone, in front of her was one of the embassy guards staring at her with a gormless look on his face. He was a young stallion, barely more than a colt, and didn’t seem to know what to do. This and Raindrop’s behaviour made her suddenly feel rather old, despite hardly being into her twenties herself. “Hi,” she volunteered, “I’m just, um, going for a quick trot. I’m getting a bit stiff spending all my time cooped up in my room. Maybe I’ll get a snack?”
The guard looked confused for a moment, leaning on his spear and biting his lip before he slowly nodded. “Right, um, ok, right,” he finally managed.

“Good, I’ll be back soon then. Carry on guarding. Good job!” she said with a smile as she pushed past him and received something approximating a salute. The embassy’s staff really did seem to be the bottom of the barrel. She wondered how things had ended up quite so bad out here, maybe it wasn’t the most glamourous post but she’d expected a little better than this.
Pushing the thoughts aside she decided what to do. She wanted to get a chance to search Quizzing’s office and she couldn’t do that until he left for the night. She wasn’t entirely sure of his schedule but it would probably be best to wait a bit. Maybe her suggestion to the guard hadn’t been that far off the mark, she could go for a bit of a trot, get to know the embassy a little, maybe see if the canteen was open.
Nodding to herself, Lyra set off on her quest.

* * *

Her hunger temporarily satisfied Lyra turned herself towards Quizzing’s office. She had hoped to get a chance to question some of the staff about him over her meal, but few of the embassy's occupants had been present and those who were hadn’t been all that talkative. The staff did seem rather insular almost on the verge of being rude. Maybe it was just a side effect of being stuck out here without much contact with Equestria, although she’d expect they like somepony new to talk to.

Shrugging, she tried to concentrate a little more on keeping out of sight as she approached the ambassador's office. Luckily much of the building seemed deserted. Really, she wasn’t sure if she actually wanted to spy on Quizzing; his behaviour with Smoke earlier had been suspicious but Corona’s emissary might just have approached him to talk rather than for any untoward purpose, and Haymaker had been there as well. It could be that Lightning was just being paranoid. To be honest this trip was as much her wanting to give Raindrops some time alone to cool off as it was for their protection. Still, it didn’t hurt to be cautious. She was just turning the corner to the ambassador's office when she noticed the door opening. Eyes widening, she dodged back the way she had come from to avoid being seen. Giving herself a second for her heart to slow down she poked her head back around the corner to see Quizzing locking the door behind him before turning to something flashing with a white light in his hoof. He looked at it for a moment before mumbling something to himself and setting off at a brisk pace away from her hiding place.

Lyra was torn, should she follow the ambassador or search his room while he was away? The latter certainly seemed easier now that she knew its occupant wasn’t present, but her sense of curiosity urged her to the former. Where was Quizzing heading in such a hurry, and what was that glowing thing? Steeling herself, she trotted forwards as quietly as she could, straining her ears to try and follow the ambassador’s hoofsteps without being seen.

“Dame?” came a low voice from nearby.

Leaping into the air in surprise Lyra spun around, her horn glowing as she tried to remember the spell to summon her lyre. “Whaaa-!” she cried as a hoof slammed down on her mouth.

“Quiet!” commanded the voice. Lyra struggled against her attacker’s grip for a moment before she recognised her assailant as captain Lightning. The soldier was dressed in a rather more practically simple suit of armour than earlier, although his sword was still strapped to his side. “Don’t panic,” he continued, loosening his grip. She nodded and tried to slow her galloping heart before it forced its way out of her chest. “What are you doing here?” he asked finally removing his hoof.

“I-I wanted to investigate the ambassador,” she explained taking a step back. Her earlier fears that the Captain might be the traitor returned to her, what if she was investigating the wrong pony. “I was trying to see where he was going.”

“Good. I knew you would see things my way,” whispered Lightning, “I’m sure Quizzing is a traitor! I just need to get some evidence,” he nervously glanced down the corridor the way the ambassador had recently gone. “I need to get after him, but you shouldn’t be here, you need to return to your room where it’s safe!”

“If the ambassador is a solartic then nowhere in the embassy is safe,” she reasoned.

“You might be right,” he admitted, “I don’t know how deep the rot goes. Like I said at the meeting, we should evacuate. I just need some evidence to prove to Haymaker that Quizzing’s corrupt.” He paused for a moment, clearly torn between following the ambassador and looking after Lyra. “I can’t let him get away, can you keep quiet?” he asked.

“This isn’t the first time I’ve had to follow somepony you know,” mumbled Lyra, although the example that immediately sprung to mind had been underwater.

“Good,” nodded Lightning as he started down the corridor after the ambassador, Lyra followed.

Their journey led them through the corridors of the embassy in the direction of the kitchens and Lyra worried that they might just have been following Quizzing to his supper. Still, there was definitely something up with the ambassador. He seemed distracted, often checking what seemed to be a anklet which would glow with a white light every so often. Finally he came to a halt at a small door not far from the dining room. He glanced around nervously, forcing Lyra and Lightning to duck back around a corner, before taking a key out of his pocket, opening the door and darting inside.

Cautiously, the two pursuing unicorns trotted up to the door. Lyra gave it a gentle shove but it didn’t move. It looked like Quizzing had locked it behind him. “Now what?” she mouthed to Lightning. Snorting in frustration, the stallion glared at the door as if that might make it open of its own accord.

“Stand back!” he ordered after a moment's consideration before turning and preparing to give the door a kick.

“Wait!” cried Lyra, “Maybe we can do things a little more subtly, we don’t have any evidence the ambassador’s up to anything yet. We shouldn’t go around smashing things.” She gestured for the stallion to step back and once again positioned herself just in front of the lock.
With a moment's thought she summoned her lyre and strummed the instrument, using it to focus her magic. Closing her eyes she felt the waves of sound spread out and bounce off of the interior of the lock. Luckily the structure was fairly simple. Opening her eyes again she used her magic to tug at its workings; after a moment there was a click and the door opened slightly. “See? I’m not just a pretty face,” she said glancing up at Lightning’s surprised face.

Steeling herself for a moment Lyra gently pushed the door open and peered inside. There, lit by a glowing crystal, was a wide stairway leading down into the rock the embassy was built on. Ahead she could hear the sound of the ambassador’s hoofsteps disappearing into the distance. Not waiting, Lightning roughly shoved past her and began to descend. For a moment Lyra considered going to get Raindrops before she disappeared into the depths, but for all his faults she didn’t want to leave Lightning alone so she followed.

The path lead into what seemed to be a long disused storage cellar. At one time it must have been lit by a number of magic crystals but over the years most had been removed or failed. Only one now remained glowing with a pale greenish light, making the area even more spooky than it otherwise would have. Lightning had concealed himself behind one of the crates which littered the room and Lyra quickly joined him. Quizzing was animatedly striding back and forth in the center of the chamber. “Where are you?” he snorted, “I know you’re here somewhere!”

Lyra froze for a moment, did he know they were present? She glanced over to Lightning who was slowly drawing his sword from its scabbard, the blade making a slight hissing sound as it went. To Lyra’s stress heightened senses it sounded almost like a roar. She was sure it would give their presence away.

“I’m here,” came a breathless feminine voice from the darkness, causing everypony present, Quizzing included, to jump. Lyra’s eyes bored into the shadow and just about picked out a roughly equine shape. The figure stepped forwards and slowly resolved itself into a short unicon clad head to tail in black cloth, only her horn and eyes were uncovered.

“Smoke?” asked Quizzing, “I was expecting the Voice. What’s going on that’s so important that you had to summon me now? Things weren't supposed to kick off for another day or two-”

“He’s missing!” exclaimed Smoke, her voice quavering with emotion.

“What! What happened?” demanded Quizzing.

“He’s been so distracted recently! He left earlier and didn’t tell me where he went! Now no-one can find him! I’m sure it’s them, the element bearers! They’ve captured him, they could be doing anything to him, hurting him! I can almost hear his screams,” the words flew out of her in a panicked stream. “We’ve got to save him!”

Lightning glanced over at Lyra who shrugged, she hadn’t seen the Voice since yesterday.

“The Voice is captured!” exclaimed Quizzing looking nervously around the room. “Are you sure? I didn’t think the dames had even left their rooms, but if they have him they could be onto us!”

“What else could have happened to him!” cried Smoke. “We have to act now! Right now!” Her horn began to spark.

“Calm down,” said the ambassador stepping back, “we can’t act rashly, we’re not prepared yet.”

“We can’t wait! What more do you need to do?”

“I have most of the guards and a number of the staff on our side. We’ve all been discarded by Luna or her court in some way or another so it wasn’t to hard to persuade them to put their faith in Corona, but there are still some loyalists. We can probably overcome them quickly enough with the element of surprise. I’d like a chance to talk to Sergeant Bootheel, he’s one of the best fighters here but Lightning’s been keeping him busy. I doubt the captain will turn so he’ll have to be dealt with. The Shadowbolts are a threat of course-”

“I’ve already contacted our ally to deal with them,” interrupted Smoke.

“You’ve already set things in motion?” sighed Quizzing in exasperation, “I really don’t have an option then do I? I’ll send out word to my ponies.”

Lyra glanced back over to her companion. Lightning had his sword drawn and gripped in his aura. His form was curled, ready to leap from cover. Her eyes widened at his intention and she shook her head wildly, surely it was better to try and escape than fight? Although, on the other hoof, Smoke wasn’t the largest of mares and Quizzing hardly seemed a fighter, maybe they could deal with them? Lyra’s magic wasn’t entirely suited to fighting but she knew enough tricks to get by and Lightning seemed competent, but then again....
Ignorant of Lyra’s internal discussion, captain Lightning started to silently mouth a countdown. Three. Two...

“We need to get to the element bearers as quickly as possible,” insisted Smoke, “We need to rescue-”

Lightning sprung forwards so fast he seemed to not even pass through the intervening space, one moment he was crouched behind the crates and the next he was across the room, his sword at Quizzing’s throat and his horn burning bright. “Silence, traitors!” he roared, sweat suddenly dripping from his flanks.

It look a few moments for Lyra to get over the shock and realise she should be backing up the captain. She hopped out of cover, her lyre clutched close.

“Wait!” hissed Quizzing trying to talk without moving. Lightning's sword was pressed tightly against his throat. “Listen to me!”

“I said quiet!” snarled Lightning, “I don’t want to hear another word from you! I’m going to drag you and every other solartic in this princess forsaken place back to Canterlot! I’ll show the princess my quality!”

“What did you do with him!” cried Smoke seemingly unaffected by the commotion as she took a step towards Lyra, her hooves stamping at the ground. “If you’ve hurt one hair on his mane...” she threatened as her horn lit.

“I think we should all just calm down,” suggested Lyra nervously. “I don’t want anypony to get hurt. Just give up and can talk things out, you can’t honestly think that Corona will...”

“I don’t care about Corona! I just want Kindle back!” cried Smoke.

Kindle? Thought Lyra, her eyes widening, but she didn’t have a chance to complete the thought before she saw something in the edge of her vision. She spun around to see two bulky griffin stepping out of the shadows behind them, their claws gleaming in the little light present. Thinking fast, Lyra yanked her hoof across her instrument using her magic to amplify and focus the discordant note towards the attackers. The griffins didn’t even flinch. How! She thought, griffin didn’t look like they had ears but they had to have something to hear with, they should at least have been deafened if not knocked out! Next to her Lightning shoved Quizzing aside and turned to face the approaching threats, trying to put himself between them and Lyra.

“Wrong!” cried Smoke from behind them and Lyra’s eyes widened. She turned to see the dark shape of the small mare outlined in an aura of fire seeming grown to fill the entire cellar. “I am the student of the sun!” she announced, her voice echoing as if from a distance. “You will return him to me or you will all burn!” Lyra found herself frozen to the spot by the scene, so similar to Corona’s appearance in Ponyville less than a year ago when the tyrant had arrived and swept up her Bonnie and... suddenly something grabbed her and shook her like a giant hoof. When her eyes could focus again she found herself at the top of the stairs to the cellar, feeling bruised all over. Lightning was leaning heavily against her, gasping for breath. “How?” she managed after a few seconds. “Can you teleport?”

“No...” he panted, heat seeming to radiate off him, “My mark...” he pointed at the lightning bolt on his flank with a shaking hoof. “Speed... it takes a lot out of me... we have to... get out of here... the arcane beacon... before the solartics organise...”

Lyra nodded, if Quizzing had been telling the truth and most of the embassy staff were against them there was no way they could stay, they had to get out of here, her, Lightning and... “Raindrops! We have to get her!”

“My lady there is no... time!” managed Lightning. The sound of hooves could already be heard on the stairs behind them. “We have to make it to the beacon, get away, we can come back with reinforcements!”

“No, we don’t know what they could do to her in that time!” Smoke had said something about Kindle! If he was a follower of Corona! And Raindrops... she... she might be looking for him! “It’s your job to protect us, both of us! She’s a good fighter as well, if we can get to her we might be able to deal with any others that get in our way!”

Lightning looked like he was going to argue for a moment then nodded. “Very... well, this way,” he said straightening up and heading off in a stumbling gallop. Lyra followed.

* * *

“Raindrops!” cried Lyra as she rushed into their room, “Raindrops!” Her eyes quickly took into the contents of the room, there didn’t seem to be anything out of place. “Raindrops!” she shouted again rushing to the bathroom, it also taunted her with its emptiness.

“She’s not here,” said Lightning, glancing back through the door for any pursuers. It had taken them several minutes to get here even at a gallop. Time during which their enemies could prepare.

Lyra rushed back into the bedroom and once more cast her gaze around. The window was open. Could Raindrops have left that way? Had she somehow found out what was going to happen and have gotten away? Or had she been lured away by Kindle again? If her fear about the stallion was correct, why hadn’t she seen it earlier? Raindrops was infatuated with him but she was young, Lyra should have realised what he was, have seen the trouble, should have done something, should have...

“Lyra, We have to move,” said Lightning, “there is nothing we can do for dame Raindrops now. We need to think about ourselves, they could be on to us any moment.”

“Right! Right,” Lyra tried to put aside her fears about Raindrops’ safety; the filly was strong, she could look after herself. She hoped. “So, to the arcane beacon?”

“It may be too late for that. It is an obvious target so they will be guarding it. Of course the other exits are hard to use unless you can fly, and they’re probably guarded as well.” He considered for a moment. “We should go to Haymaker and the other Shadowbolts and warn them, our enemies may have already moved on them, but they are our only allies.”

Lyra nodded, she’d certainly feel safer if she had the rest of her bodyguards with her.

* * *

The trip to the Shadowbolts rooms had been hoofbiting. The corridors seemed to be eerily quiet, but Lyra couldn’t help but expect a horde of crazed sun loving ponies to leap out from around every corner. She wasn’t sure what she’d do if they did, she’d had to fight a few times in the past but now she had no way of telling friend from enemy until they were attacked. Lightning Bolt seemed oddly happier now that he was in action than when he had to deal with political matters. Although still tense, he actually seemed to be enjoying rushing through the corridors, his sword gripped tightly in his aura ready to deal with any enemy they might encounter. However, he didn’t get a chance as they didn’t bump into anypony on their journey.

Lyra let out a tense sigh as they reached the door leading to the suite the Shadowbolts had been assigned. There was no sign that the traitorous guards had reached it before them. Lyra was about to knock when Lightning held up his hoof to indicate she should stop. He gently pushed her aside and took up position in front of the door, his sword held ready. “Haymaker!” he called, his voice seeming to echo down the corridor causing Lyra’s ears to lower. “Alpha. Lilly. Green.”

There was silence for a moment then Haymakers’s voice replied. “Gamma. Tulip. Lilac.” Lightning relaxed slightly and half turned to keep an eye on the corridor behind them. The door quickly swung open to reveal Haymaker clad in his normal uniform with a knife hovering nearby in his aura. He quickly grabbed Lyra and pulled her into the room before pausing to allow Lightning to follow. Once the captain was safely in the room Haymaker closed the door and barred it. “What’s the situation?” he asked smoothly.

“Sir, the ambassador is an agent of Corona, and I have reason to believe that much of the guard presence has been subverted. We need to evacuate dame Heartstrings as quickly as possible before the enemy can make their move,” reported Lightning.
Haymaker’s eyes narrowed. “This better not be paranoia captain.”

“It’s true,” exclaimed Lyra, “we saw Quizzing talking with Smoke in the cellar.”

“Very well,” Haymaker glanced around, “where is dame Raindrops?”

“She’s missing sir. We checked her room but it’s empty, the window was open, we,” he glanced over to Lyra, “think she may still be at liberty.”

“We don’t have any further time to waste looking for her now,” Haymaker pointed a hoof towards an internal door, “the rest of my ponies are in there. I’ll finish securing this room, we can plan our next move in a minute. Looks like you were right Captain, I should have listened to you earlier.”

“Sir!” said Lighting with a salute. Then he started to herd Lyra into the other room. It appeared to be some sort of recreation or training room. Against one side a number of battered ponyquins stood. Next to them was a case of neatly stacked weapons. Nearby there was a small round table around which were sat the four Shadowbolts. For a moment Lyra finally felt safe. Surely given the Shadowbolts’ reputation they shouldn’t have a problem getting to safety now, they might even be able to find Raindrops. Then she tensed again as she noticed that they were slumped over the table, agent Roundhouse’s muzzle was buried in a still steaming bowl of some sort of stew. She rushed over to see if she could do anything to help. They seemed to be alive but sleeping, she shook one but she did not awake. “It looks like they’ve been-” she began as Lightning joined her.

“Poisoned?” added Haymaker as he appeared in the doorway leaning casually against the frame, his knife now joined by almost a dozen others orbiting him and glistening in the light. A small bottle was held in one hoof. “Just a few drops of this in their meal and they won’t be doing much for a day or so.”

“What’s going on?” exclaimed Lyra, “Why did you-”

“Traitor!” cried Lightning turning back to the Shadowbolt, his sword held at the ready.

“I’d lower that blade if I were you, unless you want a rather terminal lesson on how much better Shadowbolt training is than the regular armed forces,” said Haymaker straightening up and rolling his neck.

Lightning snarled but didn’t move any closer.

“What did Corona offer you to turn to her?” asked Lyra, her eyes flicking around the room for any way out. There were no windows and the only door was the one Haymaker was blocking.

“Turn? You misunderstand, I have always worked for the queen’s interests, all my life. Like my parents before me and their parents before them, and so on, for a thousand years,” said Haymaker with a proud grin.

“What are you talking about?” demanded Lightning.

“Why it’s literally in your name captain, my ancestors were Lightning Bolts. That probably doesn’t mean anything to you, but I know it does to her,” he pointed a knife at Lyra.

“The Lightning Bolts were Corona’s secret police, they enforced her rule and hunted down anypony who disagreed with her,” said Lyra wracking her brains for what stories she could remember.

Haymaker grimaced. “That’s the lies that have made their way through the centuries. The Lightning Bolts were created to bring the sun’s light into the darkness and any who choose to live there. Of course, when Luna banished her sister the Lightning Bolts certainly weren't popular. Those who survived the purges fled and hid, some moved to other countries, a few turned traitor on their brethren for their own lives, but others, like my ancestors, decided to blend in with the common ponies and await their monarch’s return. There aren't may of us any more, a few here and there helping each other out, keeping an eye on sun cults for those worthy to carry on their line. I was watching the Voice long before our Queen returned. Dont!” he warned as Lightning took a step forwards, “my friends will be here soon to take you into captivity. I don’t want to hurt you, not that I won’t if I have to, but the Queen would prefer you healthy. She’s more merciful that you’ve probably been told.”

“How did you ever disguise yourself as a Shadowbolt,” asked Lyra trying to distract their captors.

“Disguise?” Haymaker frowned, “This is no disguise, I joined up and worked my way through the ranks like anypony else, almost thirty years now. As much as you might like to think otherwise there’s not much difference between the work the Shadowbolts and Lightning Bolts do, we just serve different mistresses. What other role would give me more opportunities to find sun cults and like minded individuals? And what other role would have given me the opportunity to get two of the element bearers to walk straight into such an obvious trap?” he grinned. “I spent a year stacking this place with those sympathetic to my goals and then I just needed the right excuse to get one or more of the element bearers to come here.”

“The princess must have figured out what’s going on here, she’d be prepared!” cried Lightning.

“Ah, ever the loyal captain, eh Lightning. If you’d actually done more than worship her from afar you’d have realised that Luna is quite fallible. She has limits you know, she can’t be everywhere or know everything, she relies on assistants and when they are fed the right information by their trusted subordinates, such as myself, well almost anything can be achieved.”

“But what is all of this for?” asked Lyra, “If you just wanted to get me and Raindrops couldn’t you have grabbed us in Ponyville or something?”

“Oh it’s not just about you dame Heartstrings, there are a few other factors in play here...” he paused, “But I don’t think I need to tell you about them right now, the Lightning Bolts haven’t remained hidden for a millennia without learning to keep a few secrets--” the Shadowbolt’s eyes swiveled as there was a click from the other room. “Good,” he called, “I’ve got them in--” he started turning away from his captives for a moment.

Taking advantage of the distraction, Captain Lightning’s horn burst into action. Maybe he was more tired than before or maybe the fear running through her made her reactions quicker, but this time Lyra managed to keep track of the soldier as he activated his special power. One of his hooves flashed out and grabbed her, dragging her behind him as he shot towards the door. Haymaker’s eyes widened seemingly in slow motion as the two of them shot forwards towards the fake Shadowbolt. Lightning’s sword lashed out, but despite all its speed and weight Haymaker managed to deflect it with several of his daggers while the rest of the blades shot forwards in a wave. One struck Lightning a glancing blow on the flank as he barged their owner aside to get into the outer room. The captain grunted in pain but they were through the doorway before Lyra could figure out exactly what had happened. Their route further into the embassy was blocked by Quizzing and half a dozen guards. Lyra’s eyes were drawn to their armour which had been hastily covered in blotches of yellow paint apparently trying to pretend to be solar symbols. Before she could think any further about them Lightning was already charging, his sword flailing wildly and forcing the unlucky guards to jump aside to avoid it. Then suddenly their path was clear and they fled further down the deserted corridors.

Lightning dragged Lyra along a seemingly random path. She could tell that each step he took was costing him more and more, sweat streamed from his sides only to quickly evaporate. Hoof by hoof he slowed, moving from a gallop to a trot as his hooves began to drag. He wasn’t moving at much more than a walk when his grip on Lyra finally slipped. Unbalanced, the captain staggered to the floor and struggled to stand again. “G-gi-give me a-a... moment,” he gasped weakly.

Lyra nodded; she was also panting, being dragged along by the captain and trying to prevent herself from falling had been exhausting although she was clearly in a better state than her protector. She glanced nervously around, they weren't in a part of the embassy she recognised but there didn’t seem to be anypony around for the moment. She didn’t know how long it would take the traitors to catch up with them, but they probably shouldn’t hang around. She turned back to Lightning; he didn’t look like he could go much further, his breath was still coming in ragged pants and his eyes were glazed. Her eyes widened as she noticed a long cut down his barrel from which a trickle of blood was leaking.

“You’re bleeding!” she cried. Using her aura she tore a tapestry from the wall and started to pad at the wound.

“D-don’t fuss, it-it’s just a sc-scratch,” he protested, “Hay-haymaker tagged me. I’ll be-be fine!”

Lyra wasn’t so sure. The Shadowbolt had used poison to deal with his companions, what if his blade had been treated in the same way? There did seem to be a clear liquid around the wound. She did her best to mop it up with the cloth before throwing it away.

“You don’t have to be so heroic all the time you know,” she said leaning back to try and lift the stallion back to his hooves.

“It’s my jo-job to protect you,” he exclaimed, struggling weakly against her help for a moment.

“Well I think you’ve probably been working overtime for last few days.”

“I was put in charge of your safety, I have to prove myself to my superiors, to the princess.” He straightened and took a cautious step forwards, wincing as he went.

“Well I’ll certainly put in a good word for you next time I see her. I’m sorry I didn’t believe what you said about the ambassador earlier.”

“Yes, well,” Lightning staggered for a moment and Lyra moved to let him lean against her, this time he didn’t protest. “I might have sounded a little, paranoid, but I knew there was some reason I didn’t like him. I should have realised Haymaker was with him as well, I should have gotten you and dame Raindrops to safety.”

“You couldn’t have known,” said Lyra peering around a corner to see if the guards had caught up with them.

“I should have!” he snarled. “After last time I swore I’d never be fooled again!” He let out a gasp of pain as one of his legs folded under him and Lyra struggled to take his full weight. She glanced worriedly at his wound, it had stopped bleeding but she didn’t know how much of the poison had gotten into his system, and what it was doing to him.

“What did happen?” she asked trying to distract him.

“Greengrass!” he hissed.

“What did he do?”

“You know of him?”

“He’s crossed paths with me and the girls.”

“He tricked me into voting for the wrong side at court, he humiliated me in my patron’s eyes and I ended up here. Banished in all but name!” He shook his head as if something was bothering him.

“Well once we get home I’m sure you’ll be back on top after all you’ve done,” said Lyra lightly trying to raise Lightning’s spirits. “So what got you into this soldiering thing anyway?”

He sighed. “All the wrong reasons, dame Heartstrings.”

“Call me Lyra, now you’ve saved my life we can probably be on first name basis,” she smiled.

“I got into the military for all the wrong reasons, Lyra,” he said glancing down at the floor, “I did it for a colt, Lancelot of Trot, archduchess Nobility’s son. When I was young I had a crush on him. I saw him at a party once, didn’t get to even talk to him, my family are far too minor nobility for that, but he was one of the most handsome stallions I’d ever seen. Rising through the ranks was one of the only ways somepony like me could have a chance with somepony like him. So I joined up and worked hard, saw a little action here and there. I actually got the attention of the archduchess and finally I actually got to meet him.” He sighed again. “And I found out he’s got all the personality of a bookcase, plus of course he’s engaged to one of Viscount Puscience’s granddaughters. Somethings are better to dream about than to experience in person. Since then, well I threw myself into my work, got tricked, got exiled, which leads me to here. I doubt this little debacle will look all that good on my record.”

“You’ve saved my life,” said Lyra.

“And didn’t notice much of my command here were traitors. That sort of thing doesn’t look very good does it? Anyway, now I’ve had a bit of a rest,” she staggered back to his hooves and stood wobbling for a moment, “We should be off!” He took a step forwards and stumbled.
Lyra steadied him and tried not to let him see her worried expression. Lightning seemed to be deteriorating and she didn’t know how much longer she’d be able to help him. The solartics had to be on their tails by now. The embassy wasn’t that big so they’d probably be here in a few minutes. They needed help. There had to be somepony who they knew hadn’t been turned. Her eyes widened as she saw a door open nearby and she quickly ducked back around the corner, dragging Lightning with her.

She peered back to see Vast Volumes furtively peer out; her mane was disheveled and her makeup smudged. Seeing the area was clear she turned and relaxed a little. To Lyra’s astonishment Bootheel emerged from the door behind her. He leaned forwards and kissed the older mare on the lips. Vast reciprocated quite passionately. Lyra looked away blushing for a moment.

“See you again next time you need that itch scratched Volumes,” cried Bootheel with a wink and a proud grin. He slapped a hoof against the researcher’s plot, causing her to emit a not entirely unappreciative squeak and rush away. As she passed Lyra’s hiding place their eyes locked for a moment, causing the older mare’s cheeks to light up before her embarrassed gaze dropped to the floor and she carried on her trot of shame towards the end of the corridor.

Lyra blinked, hadn’t Quizzing said something about Bootheel not having been invited to join? Could he be the help the needed? He was an unlikely saviour, if that's what he was. “Stay here,” she hissed at Lightning before slipping around the corner.

“Was’up dame,” said Bootheel grinning very much like the cat that had gotten the cream. His eyes flicked towards Volumes as she disappeared from sight. “~I like big plots and I cannot lie~” he hummed, his grin still wide. “So what can I do for you?”

Blinking, Lyra tried to get her mind away from the relationship between the two and back onto the possibility she was trapped in the embassy and surrounded by solartics. “We need to talk,” she finally managed.

“Ohhh! Talk,” he winked, “Sure, you come to my room this late to just talk. Well I’m a little worn out at the moment but I’m sure I can fit you in in a few hours, as long as you can fit-”

“I really mean talk,” she yelled grabbing his leg and dragging him back into his room, “Now just stay here!” She rushed back out to where Captain Lightning was still leaning heavily against a wall. She helped him as quickly and gently as she could back to the sergeant's room.

“Both of you!” exclaimed Bootheel, “Well, I’m flexible if needs be.”

“Shut up Bootheel!” mumbled Lightning tiredly, taking the words out of Lyra’s mouth. Now that she had a moment to think she took in the contents of the room. It was smaller, and surprisingly tidier than she’d expected. There wasn’t much in the way of furniture, just a crumpled bed, an armour stand, a desk, and a large chest to store things in.

“We need your help,” she explained looking back at the earth pony.

“The embassy has been infiltrated by Corona’s forces, sergeant,” said Lightning stiffly, he tried to stand up straight but stumbled. Lyra moved to his side again letting him lean on her. She looked around for a place he could sit but the only option seemed to be the bed, which she wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. “The ambassador, Shadowbolt Haymaker and many of your fellow guards have been turned. The other Shadowbolt and likely any other troops who remain loyal have been neutralised. We have to assume that we are the only loyal forces remaining in the embassy.”

There was a pause and Lyra took the chance to scrutinise Bootheel. Despite what Quizzing had said, she didn’t entirely trust the sergeant; maybe the ambassador had known they were there and the whole thing had been a trap. At any moment enemy forces could come pouring into the room from secret passages! She took a breath, now she was getting paranoid, not that that was unreasonable when most of the local ponies had turned out to be traitors.

Bootheel seemed to take the rather shocking news in stride. “I’m ready to serve Equestria to the fullest of my skills Captain,” he announced saluting.

Lightning frowned but returned the salute. “Good, now our duty is to get word back to Equestria of what’s happened and to ensure the safety of dame Heartstrings. Other matters, including our safety are secondary, do you understand?”

“Of course, sir.”

“Good,” Lightning closed his eyes for a moment, his head drooping, then he shook himself.

“Wait a moment!” exclaimed Lyra, “What do you mean your safety is secondary?”

“Dame, you are an element bearer, your survival is a matter of national security. We are only soldiers, if it comes to it we must be prepared to sacrifice ourselves.”

Lyra swallowed painfully. She sort of understood the situation but she’d never had it laid out quite so plainly before. She knew she was important, that potentially only the elements could defeat Corona, but the thought that other ponies would give up their lives for her... well, it just seemed wrong. For a moment she thought back to Raindrops’ words about her life being so complicated now, and wanting to give up being an element bearer or a dame. Why couldn’t she just be back in Ponyville with Bon Bon, rather than half a world away being hunted by Solartics? She shook her head, regardless of what she wanted she still had a duty to Equestria, as did those around her. She wasn’t going to let them down if she could help it.

“Right,” continued Lightning, apparently not noticing Lyra apprehension. “Unfortunately none of us are pegasus so we only have two chances of escaping, the main gate and the teleport chamber.”

“The gate’s no good; there’s only a narrow path off to the griffin city, any pegasus will see us from miles away, and if we did get to the Griffins what could we do? The trek back to Equestria would take weeks!” said Bootheel.

Lightning nodded. “The teleport chamber then, but of course they’ll know that and probably have it guarded. It’s also near the telegraph, if we can’t get away then at least we can tell home what has happened, maybe they can send reinforcements. Our only chance is speed and surprise, they may not be in position yet and there may even still be friendly troops active.”

“Right you are sir,” said Bootheel. Lyra nodded, it didn’t sound easy but maybe they could get away, it seemed like their only hope.

“We’ll set off right away,” said Lightning. He turned towards the door, but as he did so he staggered and one of his hind legs gave out under him, forcing Lyra to rush over to stop him falling.

“Are you alright sir?” asked Bootheel.

“Haymaker tagged me earlier,” said the captain nodding his head to his wound. “I think there was something on the blade. My legs are going numb and I’m having some difficulty keeping my eyes open,” he blinked, “we need to hurry.”

“Wait! This is real!?” exclaimed Bootheel, eyes wide as he stared at his superior officer’s wound. “I thought this was some sort of drill! The other guards really are solatrics? What about Guisarme? and Spear Tip, and Clicker? I just played cards with them last night!” He staggered a little.

“We don’t know but we have to assume anypony could be a traitor,” said Lightning with some sympathy.

“What about Vast Volumes? She and me... well you know. I’d know if she was a Corona cultist, right?” Bootheel’s brow furrowed.

“Quizzing said that most of the civilians were still loyal to Luna,” said Lyra calmingly, surely if Vast had been a traitor Bootheel would know, you couldn’t be that close to somepony and not know them? Or maybe their relationship was very casual?

“They wouldn’t hurt her would they?” he asked, seeming genuinely worried.

“He said they’d just lock them up.”

“Right... right...” said Bootheel a little distantly. “They seemed a bit well weird around here, but I just thought that was because they’d been posted to the middle of nowhere for a while... but Solartics? All of them... It doesn’t...”

“Sergeant!” exclaimed Lightning, “We have a job to do, now can I rely on you?” He glared at his subordinate.

“Sir, yes sir,” said Bootheel jumping to attention. “Just let me get my armour on, sir.” He rushed over to the armour stand and started to quickly and efficiently strap it onto him. Lyra moved to help but stopped when she reasised she didn’t have a clue how it all fit. It was really strange to see the normally slovenly trooper act professionally, it brought home to her how dangerous their situation really was. It only took Bootheel a minute or so to finish armouring himself and to take up his spear. “I’m ready sir.”

“Good,” said Lightning blinking again. “There’s probably a commendation in here for us if we make it out alive,” he said with a smile.

“Fillies always like a chest full of medals, sir,” said Bootheel almost sounding normal again.

“That they do.” Lightning turned towards the door only to stumble over his own hooves, it took both Lyra and Bootheel to steady him. The two of them looked nervously at each other.

* * *

The trip towards the teleport beacon was even more nerve wracking than her last few trips through the embassy. This time rather than the corridors being deserted there was an active feeling of being hunted. Several times the group had to stop and quickly search for a hiding place as a number of guards rushed past. Once they came across a group of staff being herded back to their quarters by a pair of guards in their newly repainted armour. Lyra was glad that the solartics didn’t seem to be hurting their ex-colleagues, just locking them away for the moment. Bootheel had suggested they try to rescue the still loyal embassy staff but after a moment's thought Lightning overruled him; they couldn’t risk it.

The captain’s condition was steadily worsening as whatever had been on Haymaker’s blade continued to do its work on him. He could move at little more than a trot at best and he seemed half asleep much of the time. Lyra wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep going.
“Almost there,” said Bootheel glancing around a corner and quickly pulling his head back. “Telegraph room’s through there and the teleport booster should be down that way, but,” he sighed, “both are guarded.”

“How... many?” asked Lightning blinking slowly, sweat dripping from his forehead.

“Two in front of the door to the telegraph, four the other way.”

“What if they moved the teleport booster?” asked Lyra.

“It’s heavier than... it looks,” said Lightning, “and you can’t use magic to move it while it’s active and it’s hard to shut down without the proper sequence... I’m the only one with that.” He gave a thin smile. “Without that it’ll take even an expert a day or two to move it. Actually, hold still...” he leant forwards and locked his horn on Lyra’s, making her jump at the unexpected contact. “This is the... code to allow it to be moved,” he panted as his horn glowed. Lyra closed her eyes and concentrated on the magic he was working. He repeated the spell again and she nodded.

“I’ve got it,” she said.

“Good... and this one will activate it...,” he ran through a second code, “if Lady Sparkle is ready she should be able to teleport in once you’ve done that. When we get to... the room use those, in case I-I can’t for some reason.”

Lyra looked at the obviously faltering stallion and nodded.

“So what do we do?” asked Bootheel, “I’m good, but six of them, maybe I’m not that good.”

“You’re not alone sergeant..., maybe between the two of us we can... draw them away, give the dame a chance to run...”

“There are three of us here actually,” said Lyra.

“Lyra, we can’t... put you... in danger,” panted Lightning.

“I can help. This isn’t the only time I’ve been in a dangerous situation you know. There’s been Corona, a lich, a giant sea monster.” she insisted before inching towards the corner and quickly glancing around it. The situation was as Bootheel had described it, at the far end of the corridor was the door to the telegraph room, to each side stood a trooper standing as motionless as the statues which dotted the path. The door to the teleport room was about halfway along the passage, four more guards stood there looking a little more relaxed than their companions.

A plan started to ferment in Lyra’s mind. “Right,” she hissed pulling her head back around the corner. “I’m going to create a distraction, then we run for the door to the teleport chamber, the moment we get in there we call Twilight and we get out of here, right.”

“The quick in and out, I’m used to that,” agreed Bootheel.

“Of course... Lyra, but what...” began Lightning.

“Hush, I need to concentrate,” said Lyra lighting her horn. She was going to try an illusion, more or less. If Trixie was here the magician would probably have put together something visual, audio and maybe even tactile. Of course if Trixie was here she could make them all invisible, but Lyra wasn’t anywhere as good at that sort of thing as her friend. Still, she could probably make an audio illusion. There was a loud bang from around the corner and a voice called out.

“F-f-fire in the telegraph room, help!” Lyra hoped she’d managed to imitate Clicker’s voice properly, she’d only heard her speak a few times. “T-t-the cogs have overheated! Help!” Telegraphs had cogs, right? She glanced back around the corner, either they did or nopony else knew they didn’t, as the whole group of guards had started to rush towards the door leaving the teleport chamber unguarded. Giving an internal squeal of joy Lyra leapt around the corner and started to gallop towards the door, Bootheel only a length of so behind. Lightning tried to follow but tripped, falling to the ground with a cry of pain. Lyra’s eyes widened at the last of the guards turning in surprise. She froze for a moment, caught between helping Lightning and getting to the exit.

Bootheel didn’t share Lyra’s paralysis and rushed past the door to the teleport chamber, carrying on down the corridor to the telegraph. His head connected solidly with the chest of the guard who was now starting to turn back towards them. The force of the blow threw her back through the door and into her companions. Bootheel staggered for a moment, shaking his head before regaining his bearings, slamming the door shut and resting his weight against it. “Do something!” he yelled at Lyra, shaking her out of her shock.

“Right, right!” she said rushing over to help him. Turning to one of the nearby statues she strummed her lyre, causing the plinth it rested on to crumble. A few solid kicks were enough to cause it to fall and block the doorway.

“That won’t hold them for long,” yelled Bootheel over the sound of pounding from the other side of the door.

“Long enough,” said Lyra turning to see that Lightning had struggled back to his hooves and was almost at the door to the teleport chamber. They were going to make it!

The three of them rushed into the room, hooves echoing around the large chamber. Lyra’s eyes flicked towards the short jeweled pillar of the teleport booster and at the figure of Smoke who stood in front of it, her aura playing up and down the device. Hearing their approach the short mare spun around. “You!” she cried.

“Step... aside...” panted Lightning, limping towards the black clad mare. Lyra raised her instrument, hooves at the ready, in case Smoke tried to cast at them.

“What did you do with Kindle!” cried Smoke seemingly unintimidated by being outnumbered. “If you’ve hurt him I’ll-” she snarled.

“We haven’t done anything to anypony, we just want to get away,” said Lyra. “Step aside and nopony need get hurt. There’s three of us and one of you!”

Lightning raised his sword in his flickering aura and Bootheel brought his spear to bear.

Suddenly there was a blast of fire from one end of the chamber forcing Lyra to cover her eyes or risk being blinded. When she had blinked away the stars she saw the Voice standing here flanked by two griffins. “You will not lay a hoof on my beloved!” he announced swooping over to put himself between them and Smoke. His armour gleamed just as brightly as the last time she had seem him and if anything he seemed taller, more handsome, his muscles more defined and his coat glowing with an internal light. He held out a mighty pinion towards the black clad mare and smiled at her beatifically. Smoke beamed back in adoration, the glow of her horn making her eyes sparkle.
Surprised by the Voice’s sudden appearance Lightning and Bootheel fell back before his presence. There was a crash from behind them as a squad of troops rushed into the chamber, quickly forming a rough circle around the fugitives with their weapons held at the ready. The guard's eyes flicked over towards Smoke who seemed to be absorbed in the Voice’s presence. She blinked and shook herself. “Surrender!” she announced, “Or we'll be forced to hurt you.”

“Never!” spat Lightning, wobbling on his hooves, his eyes unfocused. “We’ll... fight... to the last!” Lyra prepared her lyre, she’d heard stories of many doomed last stands but never thought she’d be part of one. “Ready... sergeant? Our deaths... will be remembered... in song...” croaked Lightning staggering towards the ring of opponents around them, sword held high.

“Actually, about that,” said Bootheel, the shaft of his spear connecting with the back of the captain's head. A look of confusion slowly spread over the white stallion’s face before his eyes rolled back into his head and he collapsed to the ground like a felled tree. Spinning, Bootheel rested the point of his spear against Lyra’s throat. “I think I’d rather be famed for dying in bed, aged a hundred and something, with someone else's twenty something wife. Going out with a bang as it were. I think they’ll sing that song in a few more taverns, don’t you agree Lyra?”

There was silence around the room for a moment as everyone was stunned by this turn of events.

“So,” said Bootheel looking at the circle of ponies around him, “Heil Corona? Or whatever it is you lot say.”

“You’re claiming to hold loyalty to our queen?” said Smoke after a moment's silence.

“Yep,” said the guard with a grin. Lyra glared at him murderously but was unable to speak for fear of slitting her own throat on the spear tip.

“And you really think we will trust your sudden turn of heart? Why should we think you will be loyal to Queen Celestia?”

“~I like big plots, and I cannot lie?~ You’ve got to admit your boss has quite the impressive one on her,” suggested Bootheel giving a shrug. Smoke looked disgusted. “Look,” he continued, “I can see which way things are going and I’d like to be on the winning team. Given how things are going Corona-”

“Celestia!” said one of the other guards sharply.

“Sorry, Celestia, looks like she’s going to come out on top and I’d like a piece of that.”

“You’re a mercenary?” asked Smoke as if the word tasted bad.

“Been there, done that,” he agreed.

“And you think we’ll just accept you into our numbers like that?” She turned to the other guards, “take him to his quarters and lock him in, we’ll investigate his loyalty later. Take these two to the cells,” she indicated Lyra and the still form of Lightning, “make sure their horns are bound.” Next to her the Voice, who had stood frozen in place for several moments, vanished along with his attendant griffins. Lyra’s eyes widened, an illusion, and she’d been fooled!

“Sounds fair enough to me,” said Bootheel as two guards started to lead him off, “I’ve got plenty of magazines to read, well not exactly read you know, but the pictures sure are something.” He turned his head back to Lyra.” Sorry, but I’ve got to look after number one here. See you soon!” he called as the bard was dragged away by her captors.