• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 3,809 Views, 17 Comments

Spike's wings - valkyrie95



Spike finds that certain life experiences are needed for dragons to earn their wings.

  • ...
6
 17
 3,809

chapter 3

It was the night of the first day of the camping trip and everypony was sitting around the fire pit. Pinkie Pie roasting ten marshmallows on one stick, Twilight going through a check list, Fluttershy feeding a squirrel, Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack discussing which is better, speed or strength, Rarity trying to get comfy on a tree stump, Sweetie Belle whispering something to Scootaloo while giggling, and finally Apple Bloom and Spike holding a marshmallow over the fire. They were all waiting for Twilight to finish going over her check list.

“So spahk, is it a little weird to be here with Rarity.” Apple Bloom asked in a whispery voice.

“It’s a little weird I guess, but I’m fine, remember you helped me get over it.” Spike said. Spike pulled in his marshmallow and tried to blow on it before eating it, but he accidentally set it on fire with his own green fire breath.

“How did I not see that coming?” Spike said.

“Here let me.” Apple Bloom said just before blowing out the fire on Spike’s marshmallow.

“Thanks.” Spike said as he ate the marshmallow in one bite.

“Ooooo that looked good, can I try?” Pinkie Pie asked Spike.

“Try what?” Spike asked.

"A green fire marshmallow, Duh.” Pinkie Pie said.

“Um ok I guess.” Spike said as he lit the three marshmallows at the end of Pinkie Pie’s stick of ten. Pinkie Pie let them sit for a moment before blowing them out and eating all three at once.

“Mmm, I think that made them a little bit more sweet.” Pinkie Pie said.

“Ok, I’ve been through the list and it says that after marshmallows, is usually ghost stories.” Twilight said finally looking up from the check list in the back of her camping book.

“G-g-ghost stories?” Fluttershy said nervously, and a little frightened. She hid her face in her hooves letting out a little squee.

“Don’t worry Fluttershy, their just harmless stories. You have nothing to worry about.” Twilight said to comfort Fluttershy.

“Oh… ok I guess.” Fluttershy said, still a little nervous.

“Who wants to go first?” Twilight asked the group.

“I’ll go!” Rainbow Dash announced.

“Wait hold on. Spike if you don’t mind.” Twilight said looking over to Spike. Spike knew what Twilight wanted because they had discussed it earlier. Spike jumped down from the log he was sitting on and blew his green dragon fire onto the camp fire, turning it green for the perfect lighting for ghost stories. This made Fluttershy a little scared, as she had gone back to hiding in her hooves.

“Now you may continue Rainbow Dash.” Twilight said.

"Ok so, one dark night, deep in the Everfree forest…” Rainbow Dash said before getting interrupted by a premature scream of terror from Fluttershy, who then ran off scared.

“Huh, you four stay here, we’ll go get her.” Twilight said to Spike and the three fillies.

“And I had just gotten comfortable on this tree stump.” Rarity said as she got down from the tree stump to follow the other ponies on their search for Fluttershy. While the four waited for their return they roasted a couple more marshmallows on the still green fire.

“So what was that you were whisperin ta Scootaloo?” Apple Bloom asked Sweetie Belle.

“Oh nothing important.” Sweetie Belle replied, and then sharing a small laugh with Scootaloo. Apple Bloom just rolled her eyes, knowing she probably wouldn’t get the true answer.

“Mmm, I think these are sweeter with the green fire.” Scootaloo said after taking a bit of a marshmallow. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle pulled their marshmallows in to try for themselves.

“Its not that much different but yea it is sweeter.” Sweetie Belle said.

“Not much? Mine is really sweet! Spahk could ya pass me another one pleas?” Said Apple Bloom.

“Sure.” Spike said as he reached down to grab one, only to find the bag was empty.

“Umm, I think we’re out.” Spike said holding up the empty bag.

“I think there might be another bag in the cabin, come on Scootaloo, you can help me find it.” Sweetie Belle said as she and Scootaloo got off the log they were sitting on. They went into the cabin leaving Spike and Apple Bloom alone.

“So Spahk, have ya been havin fun campin?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It’s a lot of fun, I’ve never really been camping before, but I’m happy that you’re here for my first camping trip.” Spike said

“Aww thanks Spahk.” Apple Bloom said resting her head on Spike’s shoulder. Spikes face turned a little red and he smiled a little more than he already was. Apple Bloom looked up at Spike at the same time Spike looked down at her. Apple Bloom closed her eyes as Spike leaned in. At the moment they kissed a bright magical light shown for a moment, and when the light had gone Spike had grown a pair of bat like wings. Spike didn’t acknowledge the wings for a few seconds after the kiss, it wasn’t till Apple Bloom saw them that Spike saw them.

“Where did ya get wings?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Oh Zecora said I would grow them after kissing a girl I love, who loves me back.” Spike answered.

“So ya sayin ya love me?” Apple Bloom asked.

“I guess I am.” Spike said. His wings started flapping with joy, like a dog wagging it’s tail. The wings making a breeze just big enough to wave the fire, stretching Spike’s shadow to where it looked like a full grown dragon’s shadow. The other ponies on their way back from finding Fluttershy saw it from a distance against the side of the cabin. All but Fluttershy, who ducked under a bush until Rainbow Dash dragged her out, ran to the camp sight to face the dragon, but when they got there they were more surprised to see Spike with wings. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle came out of the cabin with the marshmallows, which Scootaloo dropped after seeing Spike’s wings. Twilight gave a little laugh once she remembered what Zecora had said the week before.

“Hay Flutershy, you can get up. It’s just Spike.” Said Rainbow Dash tapping on Fluttershy’s head, which was once again buried in her hooves. She lifted her head and saw Spike, her eyes widened with astonishment when she noticed the wings.

“Spike, how did you get wings?” Fluttershy asked.

“Umm, I don’t know they just appeared.” Spike answered a little embarrassed to say what really happened.

"Apple Bloom, you were here, what happened?” Scootaloo asked.

“Nothin, one moment nothing, the next he had wings.” Apple Bloom said also a little embarrassed.

“Well at any rate, its to late to do ghost stories now, so lets get to bed, there’s a hike first thing tomorrow.” Twilight said with a slight laugh in her voice. Everypony agreed and headed into the cabin after Rainbow Dash used a small rain cloud to put out the camp fire. At one point before falling asleep, when nopony was looking, Spike and Apple Bloom gave each other a good night kiss and then went to bed.