• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 1,858 Views, 44 Comments

The Technician - Pyrus_uk



A bridge between two worlds has been set, contact has been made but tensions are still high. Trust and understanding must be established. Can a technician help that along? Can the Humans and Ponies benefit from each other?

  • ...
11
 44
 1,858

Breaking the ice

Everyone was now sitting around the meeting table inside the tent. Celestia had placed her royal guards outside the entrance to make sure there were no interruptions, not that she really expected any. Charlie couldn’t help but notice that the 6 smaller ponies were holding their gaze at him longer than at anyone else sat at the table. Most held fairly nervous expressions, except for Pinkie Pie. She seemed rather excited for some reason. He tried his best to keep a neutral expression, but their stares made him very uncomfortable. He was pretty sure his nervousness showed, despite his efforts. Celestia spoke first.

“I must admit, the facility you’ve been constructing has been completed quicker than I expected.” She said to the Captain.

“The construction work was finished slightly ahead of schedule. The workers there should be finishing up with the final testing of everything we’ve installed there. Most of it is fairly basic right now, but we have built the facility to allow for the addition of more equipment in the future if and when it’s needed.” Captain Swanson replied.

Peter leant forward in his chair. “I’ll be sure to run through everything with them when we arrive. Just to make sure everything has been covered.” He said to the Captain with a nod.

“I trust it will be able to provide Ponyville with the ability to communicate to other nearby cities, as we agreed?” Celestia said.

“Absolutely, princess. There’ll be a fair amount of work to be done before everything will be up and running, but that’s why we have out tech here. He’ll work with the ponies to get everything set up and then he’ll oversee its operation once it’s working.” Peter replied.

“Excellent. As we agreed, I'll have my team of mages sent here so you may research our use of magic.” She said smiling.

This piqued Charlie’s attention. “Uhh, i’m sorry. Magic?” He said looking at Celestia.

Twilight cleared her throat. “Yes, magic is a type of energy we ponies can use. We can use it to manipulate the world around us. It can be transferred into objects or even into our bodies.” She said factually. Charlie noticed this actually seemed to relax her a little.

“O.....K, am I getting the right idea here? When I hear magic, I think of stuff like levitation and card tricks.” Charlie said, tilting his head towards Twilight.

“Well I don’t know about card tricks, but levitation is an easy one. See?” She said as her horn lit up and Peter’s clipboard rose in the air in front of him. Charlie looked across the table at the floating clipboard, not quite believing what he was seeing.

“I can certainly see why the higher ups wanted to research these mages the princess was talking about.” He thought to himself.

Twilight set the clipboard back down in front of Peter, who immediately starting scribbling notes on it.

“That’s amazing! Can you all do that?” Charlie said, panning his eyes across the group.

“Not all of us can do that, no. Only unicorns and alicorns can do levitation like that, basically anypony with a horn.” Twilight replied. Charlie looked over at Rarity and then Celestia who both gave him small smiles.

Twilight continued, “Although, other ponies use magic in other ways. Everypony uses magic to pick up objects with their hoofs. You can consider it a form of short range levitation.” She demonstrated again by picking up Peter’s clipboard again whilst he was writing, much to his irritation.

“Oh wow! I did wonder if you ponies had to use your mouths all the time, like I saw the other ponies doing outside. Not very hygienic.” Charlie said.

“Precisely!” Twilight replied smiling, as she put Peter’s clipboard back down again. With a grumble he unclipped the paper, put the empty clipboard in front of Twilight and continued scribbling his notes.

“I’m sure you noticed the pegasi flying around outside. They also use magic for that. When they take off, their bodies surround themselves in a field of magic which drastically reduces their body weight, allowing their wings to give them flight.” Twilight said, giving a small nod to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow got the hint immediately and spread her wings. With a few flaps she took off and hovered above her chair. The sudden rush of air from Rainbow's wings blew Peter's paper all over the place.

“Oh c’mon!” Peter yelled, throwing his hands in the air.

Everyone but the Captain and Peter giggled at that, washing away some the nervousness of many at the table.

“Hehe, sorry about that.” Rainbow said a little sheepishly as she slowly descended back into her chair.

Twilight continued, “And Earth ponies can use magic to increase their physical strength. Not all of them need to use it much though. But for ponies such as my friend Applejack here, it’s invaluable. She works on an apple orchard.”

Charlie looked over to Applejack who tilted her hat slightly. “Yup, don’t know where i’d be without ma buckin’ legs. Those trees aint gonna harvest themselves all by their lonesome now are they?” She said with a smile.

“So, she kicks the apples out of the trees? That’d be something to see.” Charlie thought.

“We all use magic to help us, but it doesn’t determine how we live our lives. Fluttershy, for example, is a Pegasus but she spends most of her time on the ground.” Twilight said, looking over to Fluttershy who’s now hidden behind her mane.

“And why’s that?” Charlie asked looking over to Fluttershy.

Everyone waited for Fluttershy to answer, but she simply gave a small squeak and continued to hide behind her mane. When it became clear that Charlie wasn’t going to get a response from her, Twilight answered for her. “She takes care of animals. She’s an expert on nearly every kind. So she spends her time on the ground looking after them.”

“That makes sense. I always liked animals. Very fond of cats, actually.” Charlie said, smiling at Fluttershy from across the table. This caused her to peek out a little from behind her pink mane. Celestia smiled.

“So you all have different work and hobbies, I presume?” Charlie asked turning back to the group.

“Of course! Rarity is a clothes designer. She’s an expert on the latest fashions.”

“But none of you are wearing any clothes.” Charlie said a little confused.

“We don’t need to right now, darling. My work is usually worn for more special occasions.” Rarity piped in. “Do humans wear clothes like that all the time? I thought it was just your uniform.”

“Well, yeah is it. We wear clothes pretty much all the time. Everyday clothing is something more casual.” Charlie said noticing Rarity’s eyes widen.

“You all wear clothes the whole time? That’s fantastic! You must show me what these everyday clothes are like!” she said excitedly.

“Uhh, sure. No problem.” Charlie said plainly. "I wasn't allowed to bring any of my casual clothes. I hope the civvie clothes they gave me will be alright." Charlie thought.

As Rarity got lost in thought, Twilight continued.

“Pinkie Pie works in a bakery but her main talent is throwing parties. I’m sure she’s even planning you a welcome party right now.”

“WRONG!” Pinkie shouted with a large smile on her face.

Everyone just looked at her. Her pony friends all looked a little surprised.

“Well thank god for that. I hate large parties, especially with guests I don’t know.” Charlie thought to himself.

Pinkie slowly leant forward over the edge of the table. “That’s because I already planned it the moment we started! WOOHOO!!” She said bouncing up and down.

“Fuck”

Twilight smiled and turned back to Charlie. “Well, there you go. One welcome party.”

Charlie didn’t like that idea one bit, but he figured it was actually part of the job. Hearts and minds. All that jazz.

“Rainbow Dash works as part of the weather team. Their job is to help regulate the local weather systems around Ponyville. Her hobb-“

“Wait a sec, hold up.” Charlie interrupted. “Regulate weather?”

“Yes, that’s right. Pegasi manipulate clouds to control our weather. So if we need some rain or shine, they set it up.” Twilight said.

“This place is very...VERY...different” Charlie said. “Although, being able to manipulate the weather may help with atmospherics for these communication systems I gotta setup. Don’t really know enough about it just yet. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.”

“Well magic plays its part there as well. Weather isn’t manipulated in your world?” Twilight asked curiously.

“No. Weather is completely natural. We have spent a lot of money, time and effort into predicting it though. Don't always get it right, mind you." Charlie replied.

“That’s very interesting." Twilight said getting slightly lost in thought. "Anyway, as I was saying, Rainbow works on the weather team and her hobby is aerial acrobatics.” Twilight said looking over to Rainbow.

Rainbow spread her wings as Peter jumped over his notes on the table. She puffed out her chest as she flapped her wings and rose up out her chair. “Fastest flier in Equestria I’ll have you know!” She said proudly.

“And completely modest.” Applejack said rolling her eyes.

“I look forward to seeing you prove that, Miss Dash.” Charlie said as rainbow looked back with a competitive smile.

“Alright, well as far as magic goes, I guess it’s something I’ll just have to get used to.” Charlie said as Rainbow lowered herself back into her chair.

“If there’s anything that concerns you regarding magic, Twilight here is an expert on the subject. She’ll be able to explain anything about it that’s troubling you.” Celestia said, as Twilight blushed at the compliment.

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind, Princess. Thanks for explaining all that, Twilight.” Charlie said, giving her a nod.

Her smile seemed to grow at that. “You’re welcome!”

Charlie gave a quick glance over to the other side of the table, where he saw Lieutenant Vasquez giving the Captain an ‘I told you so’ look. Captain Swanson merely rolled his eyes at that and then stood up.

“Corporal, your mission has been explained to you and you’ve been properly introduced to these 6 ponies. These mares are all residents of the town you’ll be working in and around. The town isn’t large, so these mares are well acquainted with almost everyone in it. They’ll be your first point of call, should you need any help regarding life here. We’ve set up a communications tower outside which will be used in conjunction with another tower at your facility. This is how we’ll keep in communication with you during your stay.” The Captain said.

“Understood, sir. How far is it to the facility?”

“About 5 miles”

“Hmm, not far at all.” Charlie thought.

“We have an Osprey outside. We’ll be taking that to get to the facility. We’ll need to transport the construction team and the lieutenants security team back here after we drop you off.” The Captain said.

“Understood, sir.” Charlie responded.

“Well then, while the humans take their ‘Osprey’ vehicle, my royal chariot will take the rest of you. I must depart back to Canterlot, for I have much work to catch up on.” Celestia said, rising up to stand once again.
“Won’t you be coming with us, princess? It is your chariot after all.” Rarity questioned.

“It’s been a little while since I got to properly stretch my wings. I think the flight back to Canterlot will do me some good. The fresh air is always welcome also.” Celestia said, ruffling her wings slightly.

Everyone exited the tent and started to walk towards where the Osprey and the carriage were at. Charlie spotted the Lieutenant walking alone a little ahead of him. He quickened his pace and caught up.

“Thanks for making me look good.” She said when she noticed him.

“I’m sorry?” Charlie said a little confused.

“You did good. I’ve actually never seen you so talkative to others before. Proved to the Captain that my recommendation was justified.” She said with a slight smile.

Thinking back, Charlie did have to admit that he was more sociable with these ponies than he has been with most others. He wondered why that was.

“I guess so. Thanks for the recommendation by the way. I just hope I’ll be able to stand up to this expectation of yours.” Charlie said looking ahead.

“Just keep doing what you did back there, and you’ll be fine.” she said.

“There’s something else that’s also been on my mind.” Charlie said plainly.

“Oh?”

“The Captain. He’s been really placid about everything. Still serious, but much less expressive than usual. What happened?” Charlie asked, turning his head towards the lieutenant.

“Didn’t you think it was strange that he’s the highest ranking officer you’ve seen involved in all this so far? The commanders and generals have been here before. But things didn’t go so well. Disagreements formed almost immediately between them and the Princesses. The word is, that the Captain was pretty much the only one who Celestia opened up to. As a result, she refused to see any of the commanders or generals but still met Captain Swanson.”

Charlie was a little surprised to hear this. “Whoa, what were the disagreements?”

“Couldn’t tell you. The Captain wouldn’t even tell me. But obviously the Captain’s superiors, no longer directly involved, are breathing down his neck to try and get what they want out of all this. My bet is that he’s trying to keep his composure so as to do the best job he can and not upset them. You know how he is when he gets flustered.” Vasquez said with a smile.

“I had no idea. Although thinking about it, it does seem a little strange that there’s not any of the brass here.” Charlie said.

“And I think the princesses want to keep it that way. I’ve noticed, with Celestia especially, that she judges people more on their personality than their power and influence. We’re here because of what we’re like as individual people. Our personality and nature. That’s really what that meeting back there was all about. She was trying to see what you were like and how you got on with her subjects. My security team went through the same thing.” Vasquez said as she looked over to a tent full of royal guards polishing their armour.

“Well she hasn’t kicked me out yet, lieutenant. I take it the human side of the portal hasn’t been so restrictive of ponies crossing over?”

“There’s been a couple of ponies who have crossed, but they came back almost immediately. Celestia isn’t yet comfortable with her subjects staying for long periods of time on the other side. I reckon it’s because of those higher ups she met. She’s very protective. I think she wants to discover more about us on this side, where things are more on her terms.” she said.

“That’s why this ‘Hearts and Minds’ thing has been pressed on me so much then?” Charlie asked.

“That’s right. You’re here to help strengthen our rather shaky relationship with the ponies. So don’t fuck it up!” Vasquez said with a large smile.

“Lovely.” Charlie said blandly, looking forward again.

They reached the makeshift heli-pad where the Osprey was. Charlie could see a human ground crew performing some checks on it. He also saw the royal carriage sitting nearby with some royal guards strapped to the front. Celestia was speaking to the lead guard as the other ponies climbed into the carriage. She took off shortly after the carriage door closed behind them. The four humans climbed into the back of the Osprey as the pilot got the go ahead from the ground crew. As the engines came to life, Charlie leaned over to Vasquez.

“Won’t this be a little unfair? This thing will clearly do 5 miles faster than a horse drawn carriage!” He shouted as the engines whirred.

“Be careful, Corporal. I wouldn’t go around calling them horses! And I wouldn’t worry yourself! That’s no ordinary carriage!” Vasquez shouted back.

Charlie looked out the window as the carriage sped up and took off into the sky.


“You gotta be shitting me.”