• Published 18th Apr 2014
  • 394 Views, 2 Comments

Badlands - bass-and-the-siren8976



Three ponies fight for survival after the destruction of their home. How will they fair alone, among the other not-so-nice species of Equestria's lands?

  • ...
 2
 394

OHMYGOSH- how do we kill a wooden monster!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Not now, Vi- uh... Trixie!" Sparkler flipped through the book as Derpy aimed her cannon. She felt around for her muffins but to no luck. She sucked in her breath as the timberwolves came closer "Sparkly, I need rocks!"

Sparkler looked up and gasped, bringing several rocks up from the ground as Derpy quickly shot and reloaded.

"Are we OK back there!?" Trixie shouted as she ran, hooves clacking against the cobblestone street "This harness won't let me look back there!"

"Uh..." Sparkler focused on the view in front of her. Four medium sized timberwolves barreled towards them, Derpy's rocks only slowing them down. They had exited the cluster of buildings closest to the castle, entering the lower district. Their was less space between the buildings, which had become smaller and less decorated. As they continued the street narrowed, meaning they were nearing the train station and mountain path.

"Fire!" Trixie shouted angrily.

"What!?" Sparkler twisted around to look at the mare pulling the cart.

"I know your probably thinking up a stupid plan! It's obvious! KILL! IT! WITH! FIRE!"

"Can I shoot fire with this thing...?" Derpy mulled over the idea as she reached for Sparkler's rocks.

"Trixie Pulamoon-" Trixie sighed, at least she got the first name "You are a genius!"

"Huh...? Well, thank you? But it was common sense, I mean they ARE wood-"

"Now then-" She reddened "do you have any idea how to make fire with magic...?"

Trixie opened her mouth to say an arrogant 'yes' until she realized the best fire-y spell she knew was, to a little of her amusement, sparklers.

"No." she too reddened "Shouldn't you!?"

"Well," Sparkler gulped "I'm a scholar, I'm fascinated by how Earth Ponies live in a magic and flight based society... the most magic I use is levitation."

"I CAN MAKE FIRE-" Derpy shouted in a comically deep voice as she shot a rock directly into a timberwolves face "Oh wait no, I'm a pegasus."

"Ok, here's what we do-" Trixie sighed as she made a sharp turn, the train station growing nearer "We tie them up!"

"That we can do!" Sparkler looked around and pulled on a thin wire carrying a 'Welcome to Canterlot' Banner. With an expertly movement, she tugged it away from the two buildings it hung between and threw one end at Derpy who gleefully grasped it in her teeth. As Derpy flew upwards, Sparkler let go allowing the mare to slowly circle them mid-air. Charging downwards, she spun around them as fast as she could, the four timberwolves caught inside her net. Using her magic, Sparkler pulled the two ends, tying them into a tight knot.

"We're at the station!" Trixie stomped down her hooves, the cart slowly coming to a halt.

"Bring them inside!" Sparkler jumped off as Trixie took off her harness.

The pair entered the open door of the damaged train, Derpy following behind while pulling the captured timberwolves.

"Where's the engine thing where they have all the fire!?" Trixie looked around.

Derpy walked forward with the wolves behind her "... Mpompha mphere."

"I think she said 'Over here'." Sparkler turned to Derpy "How do you-"

Derpy grinned, as much as one can when holding a knot in their mouth, and pointed at a sign beside the doorway.

Engine Room Here- No Entry Without Permission

The two unicorns followed Derpy into the cramped engine room. The roof was gone but the 'coal filled oven-y thing', as they might call it, seemed operational.

Trixie picked up a match from the ground and lit it, tossing it into the coal. There was a small flash and a small fire began. They sighed as they noticed the lack of a pile of coal. Derpy dropped the timberwolf net and flew out of the car, coming back with a bottle of oil.

"How did you-" Sparkler asked as Derpy threw the bottle at the coal, shattering and releasing it's flammable contents.

"Their was a diner outside." Derpy chimed.

"Well then..." Trixie watched as the fire licked at the oil and began to grow "Let's do this."

Sparkler carefully lifted the timberwolves right in front of the flame "Are you sure?"

She got no response as the two looked down and stepped outside. Sparkler glanced at the creatures before tossing them in, trotting outside before the yelps could begin.