• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 929 Views, 28 Comments

Life Lessons - lunabrony



Mrs. Cake has just had her foals. Which under normal circumstances, would be cause for celebration. Except for one thing... she was never pregnant. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have some investigating to do.

  • ...
1
 28
 929

1 - Something Just Ain't Right

The Six were gathered outside the Nursing Ward, eagerly packed in front of the glass which displayed and protected all of Ponyville's newest residents. Each one of them was delightfully fixated on Carrot Cake, who was proudly showing off his grandest creations.

"Our son... PoundCake!" He was practically glowing.

"Aww..." The Six cooed.

"...And," he continued. "Our daughter! Pumpkin Cake!" He announced.

"Huh?" Rainbow Dash looked shocked.

"What?" Rarity asked, still processing this sudden surprise.

"TWO new foals to play with?!" Pinkie shrieked. "That's two... two... two times the fun! This the GREATEST. DAY. EVER!"

"Pinkie, maybe you should keep your voice do-" Twilight began, but Pinkie was already deep within the restricted area, attempting to do what she did best. Spontaneous singing.

"I really don't think we're supposed to be in there, but maybe if she asked nicely..." Fluttershy said.

Twilight sighed. "No, we're definitely not supposed to be in there. There's rules in place for a reason! And if she keeps breaking them, she's liable to get-"

WHAM!

The doors flew open, and Pinkie was thrown out of the room, landing upon her cotton candy keister.

"...In trouble," Twilight finished.

"Now hold on," Applejack began. "How in tarnation is one of 'em a pegasus, and the other one a unicorn?" she asked.

"I was wondering that myself," Rarity added.

"Easy," Carrot Cake began. "My great-"

While the rest of the Six listened to the explanation, said information was not heard by the three small children peeking around the corner down the hallway, as they were busy arguing amongst themselves.

"Now will y'tell us why we snuck out of school for this?" Apple Bloom asked. "Ah told Cheerilee my sister had an emergency, and that's lyin'. Ah ain't supposed t'be lyin'."

"But she let us out early," Sweetie Belle said. "So we didn't sneak out. I told Cheerilee my sister had an emergency as well. And Rarity has like seventeen emergencies a day."

They both looked at Scootaloo, who had no such alibi.

"I snuck out while you two were talking to Cheerilee," she said sadly.

"See!" Apple Bloom said. "We coulda just come out here after school! Now we're gonna get Scootaloo in trouble!"

"But by then it mighta been too late!" Sweetie Belle said. "Didn't you notice anything unusual about our field trip to the bakery last week?"

"The cookies were really stale, I'm considering writing a letter of complaint," Scootaloo said.

"Not that, dodo!"

"Hey!"

"Too late for what?" Apple Bloom asked.

"I mean, Mrs. Cake wasn't pregnant. She's never been pregnant and we see her all the time!"

"Hey, yeah..." Scootaloo frowned. "Unless she got pregnant the day after we were there."

"And wound up with two foals in less than a week?" Apple Bloom chimed in. "Somethin' just ain't right about that. How do you even get pregnant in the first place?"

"I think you have to sign up for it," Sweetie Belle said. "Rarity once said that not everypony can get pregnant, so there's gotta be a test of some kind."

"Maybe it's an extra credit course at the University," Scootaloo offered.

"But Mrs. Cake never went to the University," Sweetie Belle countered.

"You don't know that," Scootaloo countered again.

"I bet I could get pregnant before you," Sweetie Belle challenged.

"Nuh uh!" Scootaloo said.

"Yuh uh!" Sweetie Belle said.

"Nuh uh!"

"Yuh uh!"

"Nuh uh!"

"Yuh huh!"

"Nuh uh!"

"Yuh huh!"

"Alright!" Apple Bloom cut in. "There's obviously a mystery here, gang! And we need tah get to the bottom of it. Ah'll build the traps!"

"What traps?" Scootaloo asked. "We're just gonna ask a few questions."

"Don't most mystery solving teams build traps?"

"Not competent ones," Sweetie Belle said. "I think that's a bit overdramatic. Trust me. I know overdramatic when I see it."

"Yeah!" Scootaloo threw her hoof in front of her. "Well, either way, I'm in for this!"

"I'm in!" Sweetie Belle added, adding her hoof.

"It's settled then," Apple Bloom said, throwing in her own hoof.

""CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS LIFE LESSONS!"

"Shhhhhhhh!" The nurse scolded them. All three fillies shrank back.

"Sorry," Sweetie Belle whispered.

"So what's first?" Scootaloo asked.

"That's easy," Apple Bloom said.

"We're gonna ask Applejack where foals come from."

After all this, having made their exit from the Hospital, which wasn't an easy task at all having to avoid their respective siblings, the Cutie Mark Crusaders returned to their Clubhouse to wait.

"What time is it?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"I dunno, ah don't have a watch," Bloom admitted. "But it's past the time where we'd be home from school, so it's gotta be safe to come down."

Apple Bloom stuck her head out of the window, and was almost immediately greeted with the sight of Applejack.

"There y'are!" Applejack said. "Ah didn't see ya come home from school, so ah'd hoped y'were up here."

"Applejack! We need to ask you something important."

All three children came down from the Clubhouse and sat in front of Applejack, who seemed pleased.

"Well! Ah thought y'all always went to Twi fer yer little problems, so ah'm more'n happy to answer any questions that ya-"

"Where do foals come from?" Scootaloo asked.

Applejack had turned pale.

"...Except that," she said. "Y'know, ah... don't...really...know... but ah bet Macintosh does! MAC! The girls need you!"

"Eeyup," came the reply. and Applejack bolted into the house as if her tail was on fire. Her replacement came in the form of the towering red stallion, who gazed upon the trio with silent affection.

"Where do foals come from?" Apple Bloom asked again.

... Macintosh stared at her.

... Bloom stare back.

"...Nnnope," he said, and turned and headed back into the house, leaving the three very confused.

"The mystery deepens," Scootaloo said.

Author's Note:

Notice: This story will not feature the fillies in any suggestive scenes, for those of you who were worried about that. That's absolutely not okay. Just wanted to clear that up.