• Published 19th Apr 2014
  • 592 Views, 2 Comments

Tales from the Golden Oak Library - Grenazers



Twilight assist the crusaders by telling them three different short stories for their homework assignment.

  • ...
 2
 592

Ch2-Timberpony

Timberpony

In the land of Equestria, therein lies the infamous Everfree Forest. What makes this dark forest so infamous is because of how unnatural it is. The weather above changes without the assistance of pegasuses, the various vegetation of the forest flourish without aid from any ponies. Lastly the many creatures that inhabits the forest, can take care of themselves.

Aside from the unnaturalness of the forest, what truly makes the Everfree Forest dangerous are the many dangerous beast that inhabits these woods.

From the mighty Manitcores to the deadly Basilisks, the Everfree is home to some of Equestria's most deadliest predators. Among the masses are the numerous and vicious wooden canines, the Timberwolves.

Like the forest itself, the Timberwolves are a mysterious species, with no knowledge of where they came from or who created them. For all they knew, the Timberwolves had always existed. Always been wolves and nothing else.

However, this was not the case for one group of Timberwolves. In this pack there is one who not like the others. Instead of claws, it has hooves. Instead of sharp fangs, it has flat teeth. Instead of small yellow eyes, this one's eyes were double the size. Including the features of his leaf mane and tail, this creature is less Timberwolf and more Timberpony.

Indeed this one shares more similar characteristic with a pony, then his own Timberwolf brethren. Because of this, he was seen as an outcast from the rest of his pack mates. They rejected this freak and would've rid of him years ago if it weren't for his mother, the Alpha.

It is because of his mother, is the reason why the Timberpony was still part of the group.

At first the Alpha was disturbed by the strangeness of her son, but she eventually grew fond of him and accepted him the way he is.

Unfortunately, the rest of her pack wasn't so accepting. She would occasionally get into fight with them and get challenges for pack leader. Earlier on she easily defeated all of her challengers, but as time go by she realized that she was getting older.

Fearing the inevitability of her demise, she train and taught her son all he needed to know to survive in the wild Everfree Forest. Their time together strengthen their bond, which only made the Alpha even sadder.

Finally the day came and Timberpony and his mother were alone together. His mother told him to leave, which confuses him. She repeated herself, this time more sterner. When the Timberpony pleaded with his mother to stay, she lashes out on him and told him to leave and never come back.

Devastated, the Timberpony galloped away from his mother. Unbeknownst to him, his mother was also equally as devastated at what she just did.

The Timberpony ran for a good mile before stopping. Catching his breath, the young stallion had many things going around his head. The most common is why his mother acted like that and why she was suddenly stern with him.

He knew that the others didn't like him and that he was only able to stay is because of his mother. She protected him all his life and now she just kicked him out. Why now all of a sudden? Why did she suddenly want to disown him? Why did she even bother to raise him? These question can only be answered from the source itself.

And with that, the Timberpony ran back his mother.

When he got there, he heard some noise beyond some bushes. Hiding in of them, the wooden pony took a peek out and saw a fight between two Timberwolves. Surrounding the two is a ring of wolves, all watching the two fight each other.

The pony then notice that it was her mother inside the ring. She was currently fighting another Timberwolf who was taller and more bulkier then her.

The stallion knew what was going on and watched. It wasn't the first time somebody decided to challenge his mother. He remembered when he was young, he watched his mother easily defeat any fools who thinks they can take her position.

However, in this fight, his mother was the one losing. As tough as she is, the Alpha was old now. While her opponent was wolf in his prime.

The Alpha tried strike him down, but because of his large stature he barely felt her blows. The large wolf struck her down in one fell swoop. As she was down, he sunk his fangs on her left foreleg and tore it off.

She yelled in pain, while her son's eyes widen upon witness such gruesome display. Finally the large Timberwolf decided to finish this, he lowered his jaw over her head and opened his mouth wide.

Seeing enough, the Timberpony galloped out of there, As he ran, he heard the dying scream of his mother.

He continued to run aimlessly through the woods, all the while repeating the horrible sound in his head. He may have not seen her death, but he can imagine how it went.

Eventually the pony found a spot to rest his tired legs. By this point his legs was wobbling. He collapse on the grassy floor and laid there for a while.

Time passes and the wooden stallion didn't get up. He had no motivation to, no reason to continue on. Suddenly he some noises. Normally he would just ignore it and hope who ever it was, was going to either leave him alone or finish him.

But, upon hearing the noise clearer. It was a sound he found familiar. Curiosity got the best of him and so got up and investigate. Passing some more bushes and trees, the Timberpony saw a big open field.

Realized that he was at the edge of the Everfree Forest, he was about to turn back until he took notice of three ponies, playing in the field. This triggered a flashback in his head which dug up one of his old memories back when he was little.

When he was a little colt, he remembered he used to go to the edge of the forest and watched the ponies. He watched ponies big and small, either playing games or just having a picnic together. He found them interesting to observe, mostly because of how similar he is to them. Aside from the unicorns and pegasuses, he share many characteristic with them.

He always wanted to meet them, but worried that they might reject them like his species did with him. But, now here was again as an adult, facing the same situation that he faced as a child.

He though about it for a moment and decide to just do it. Taking a deep breath he left the hiding place and went up to the trio of ponies. The three were a colorful bunch, more colors he ever in the dark forest. One was a red stallion with a white mane, the second was another stallion, blue with green mane. Then the third one was a yellow mare with a red mane.

As he draws closer to the three, he was about to greet them until they saw him. There reaction, as expected scared them. The three galloped away from the wooden pony, leaving the poor Timberpony all alone.

Depressed, the stallion retreated back into the woods. He went back the same spot he was before and slept for the rest of the day. That night the pony was having a dream, he was reliving a moment from his past.

It started off with him as a colt, hunting a squirrel with other Timberwolve pups. He didn't really need to eat meat, but he wanted to be helpful. Sadly he accidentally ruined a ambush set for the squirrel and he was blamed for it.

Sadden by this he ran back to his mother. He told her everything that happened, all the while crying. His mother comfort her crying son and told him that it was an honest mistake. When he told that he'll never do this again, his mother scolded him.

She lecture him about how you shouldn't just give up that easily. Nobody ever succeed if they gave up at the first try. Sure you'll mess up, but if you let that block you from reaching that goal then you'll accomplish anything.

The dream ended there and the Timberpony slowly woke up. The sun may not have shine through the forest, but he knew that it was morning. He remembered his mother's advice and took it to heart. Once again went the edge of the woods and waited.

Hours passed and not a single came, he starting to get doubtful about his plan. That it until somepony showed up. Appearing over the horizon, he recognize the pony. It was that yellow mare from yesterday.

He watched her trotting closer to the forest. When she was near enough the mare looked straight into the forest, as if looking for someone.

'Could it be him she was looking for.' He thought to himself.

He then crawled out of his hiding spot and surprised the mare. Seeing the frighten look on her face, he expected the mare to runaway again. Instead she was talking to him.

The Timberpony only understood a few of the mare's words, but he managed to get the gist of it. The mare wanted to apologize for her and her friends behavior yesterday. She wanted to meet him so that they can have a more proper introduction. She then indicated that she wanted him to follow her. He does so and follow the mare. As they trotted the Timberpony had many questions bouncing around his head.

Was this it? Was he finally going to accept? Will they accepted him? Can he really fit in with these ponies? He continue to question his action and whether or not they'll be consequences for it. But, one thing is for sure. He was going to face these problems head on, with head held high and standing on his own hooves.

The two trotted over the horizon and with that the Timberpony started his new life.


“And that was the story of the Timberpony.” Twilight said as she finishes the story. “So what did you girls think about the story?”

“It was good.” Applebloom said.

“I like it!” Sweetie exclaimed.

“Meh, it was alright.” Scootaloo spoke, uninterested.

Twilight listen to all the reaction the crusaders gave about the story. She then notice her assistance Spike has took seat next to the crusaders during her story telling. He was currently handing out refreshments to the girls.

“The story was good and that there Timberpony seems to be a relatable kind of fella.” Applebloom commented.

“Well I just love the ending part, it was really nice.” Sweetie explained.

“The story was okay, but not that interesting.” Scootaloo criticized.

Twilight then faced the little orange pegasus. “Well what kind of stories do you prefer?” She asked.

“How about something with action or adventure!”

“Well then how about a tale of a alicorn fighting a sea monster?” Twilight suggested.

“Yeah, that sound pretty awesome.”

“Okay then quiet down, our next story is about a great alicorn warrior who was sent by the Queen to deal with a huge, nasty, terrifying beast....the Hydra!”

The crusaders and Spike all gasped.

“This next story is called...”

The Origin of Hydra