• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,672 Views, 14 Comments

The Origin of Fluffle Puff - Square Root

  • ...
4
 14
 1,672

The Report

Chrysalis paced from the near side of the cavernous throne room to the far, the two sides of herself arguing with one another.

"The nonviolent approach would have worked too, but the chances of success were too low for that plan to be put into action. Everything has been put at risk just because of that."

"That idea was stupid. Besides, the current plan is going to be much more successful."

"At least the other tactic would not be risking the lives of our subjects."

"Well, there is no going back now. It is not like the invasion can just be called off."

Creeeeaaaak...

The great door of the throne room was timidly opened by a young soldier. He entered slowly, and he had a puzzled expression upon his face. A few paces in he took a knee, acknowledging his queen. "Pardon me, Your Majesty, but are you alright?" he asked cautiously.

"Yes, I am quite fine," Chrysalis haughtily replied. As she said this she thought to herself, Well shit. Way to go, Chrysalis. Perfect time to unknowingly talk to yourself. "Why are you here?" Chrysalis questioned.

"Um, oh yes, I bring news from the battlefront," the young soldier answered.

At this Chrysalis's ears perked up. "What tidings do you bring?"

"My liege, we have successfully captured Salt Lick City," the young soldier replied.

"How in Equestria did we manage to do that?" Chrysalis asked.

The young soldier looked at his queen uncertainly, as if he was unsure about what he was supposed to reveal. He muttered something under his breath and looked at the floor tile beneath Chrysalis's hoof.

"Is that how you address your queen, soldier?" Chrysalis questioned, "What is it you were saying?" She was becoming impatient with the young soldier and she thought him to be an incompetent fool.

The soldier looked at his hooves and more audibly said, "Commander Chelip, of my platoon, ordered everyone not to mention it." Nauplius, you idiot, he thought to himself, You are speaking to the bucking queen. She doesn't give a shit about Commander Chelip's orders. She asked you a question and you should have told her what happened in the first place. Next thing you know, you'll be imprisoned for witholding information from the government or something like that. Of course you could be over-reacting, but you never can tell with queens.

"And what exactly did Commander Chelip order you to not reveal?" Chrysalis probed.

"Well, Your Majesty, some younger stallions and mares came upon our camp and--"

"They WHAT?!" Chrysalis screeched. "You were discovered?! You and your platoon must be the most stupid and careless in the entire Changeling army! Now I see why Chelip wanted to keep this quiet."

"Your Highness, if you would allow me to explain the rest of the scenario, I think that you will find that it all happened for the best."

"Fine, continue."

"Um, where was I-- oh yes, they came upon our camp and they had no idea who we were. Commander Chelip actually recognized this before the rest of us." It can't hurt to put a good word in for her, Nauplius thought. "We used Emergency Alias 27 . We told them that we were a group of traveling performers and that we were just doing a quick dress rehersal for our new play, Ponies from Another Planet. Luckily, the group of ponies were none too bright. We asked them if they could show us a good place for lodging and then we all took a moment to change from our 'costumes' into a variety of pony forms. The next thing we knew, we had been let into the city without a fuss. We attacked an hour after nightfall and the rest is history."

"It sounds like it was a close call, yet successful all the same," Chrysalis said, "And what of my specific orders?"

"We captured the group that let us into the city," Nauplius replied, "They seemed to best fit the profile of unwary towards the Changeling race."

"Wonderful. I would like to have them securely transported to the prisons of the Hive as quickly as possible."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"And, soldier, what is your name?" Chrysalis asked.

"Nauplius."

"Very well, I will be sure to put in a good word with Commander Chelip. You are dismissed."

"Thank you, Your Highness," Nauplius replied. He bowed, turned, and exited the throne room, leaving Chrysalis alone with a sense of accomplishment in her heart and with anticipation in her mind.