• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,057 Views, 104 Comments

My little Short Stories 2- Paradise Edition - Paradise Oasis



A new batch of short stories, brought to you by the one and only- Paradise!? Follow the accounts of this Pegasus librarian of a pony community!

  • ...
4
 104
 1,057

PreviousChapters Next
They have returned, part two

They have returned, part two

The future is so full of uncertainty. A pony can be going along just nicely, living his predictable life with it's simple pleasures, when a sudden thing can come in out of nowhere, and really mess everything up. Such a thing has happened to us now, here under the northern lights, and brought such worry and fear to the pony herds that calls these hostile, unfriendly lands home. It is these troubles that have brought me back to the land of my birth, though I wish I were visitng my former home under far better circumstances than these!

I have returned home, to the frozen wastes of the north. My fellow snow ponies and I are dealing with some new arrivals in our lands, Crystal Ponies who suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Their cities have suddenly materialized from the distant past, and our southern plain is now filled by about a dozen cities that weren't there only a day ago. Daffodil and I were called back to deal with the current crisis, and we returned to a capital boiling over with apprehension and fear.

I can understand why my tribe is upset, we thought we were all that was left of the Crystal Empire. (Well, us and those dozen or so noble families living in exile in Misty Mountain) where exactly did these throwbacks come from? Our scouts have been watching them from afar, and they tell us that not only are their cities kept warm by crystal pony magic, but these Crystal ponies are actually charged with crystalline energy! What in the name of B'zekre is going on here? Do these mysterious ponies have the crystal heart? Just who are these newcomers?

It is then our dear Empress, Dazzleglow the Wise, informs us of whom these new arrivals are. They are the crystal ponies of old, kinsman to our ancestors who disappeared when Sombra placed his curse on the Crystal Empire. But whereas our ancestors reappeared after one thousand years due to the shadow-tyrant, these ponies took an extra thousand to come back. The ponies in our tribe are wary of their belated return, and they are afraid... afraid that these usurpers will try to reclaim these lands for themselves.

It is this fear that has put our warriors and nobility on edge, and many fear our tribe will be at war soon. Usable land in the frozen wasteland is already divided between ourselves, the kingdom of Hastland, and the ponies of St. Ponysburg. We don't need another faction up here, competing over the already scarce resources. That's the reason our chieftains have the scouts out watching these newcomers... there is a general anxiety about what they are going to do next. But these rumors of wars have also put my beloved Daffodil on edge.

"Dearest, I know you're upset about this," Daffodil tells me, a warning tone in her voice. "but I don't want you getting involved if there is a battle!"

Oh, my dear sweet Daffodil... if there is a fight, I would the last one out on the battlefield. I am a lowly gardener, and the most I could do would be to grow crops for the troops to consume. But that doesn't mean I still can't support my heard if there is a war, and I really don't like the thought of these usurpers coming in and taking what belongs to us. We struggled long and hard to restore these lands after the Grogar wars, and we are not simply going to surrender our ancestral lands to a hard that magically appeared out of nowhere.

But what bothers me the most is... blast it, we are the crystal ponies, the true heirs of the great civilization of old! The very lands where their cities reappeared were our southern fields where we gathered wild oats and barley in the summertime, to ensure an abundant food supply in our storeroom. There are calls amongst the more radical of my fellow farmers to drive them out, and it is a sentiment that may grow. and if the rumors of their possession of the Crystal heart are true... well, there will most certainly be a war over that, let me tell you.

I don't know, I still desperately hope beyond hope that there will be a peaceful solution, that we will not end up going to war over all of the anxiety and tension. I can say with certainty that the ball is entirely in their court; we shall not attack, nor do anything to provoke them, unless they make a hostile move first. Still, something's got to give here sooner or later, and I have a feeling it will not belong before we know wither we will have war or peace here in the land beneath the great and fiery northern lights!

PreviousChapters Next