• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 4,532 Views, 56 Comments

Blackest Twilight - Zanem-Ji



After Celestia and Luna's battle, a new sky was created. Twilight, loving this new sky, did whatever she could to recreate it. But when Celestia disapproves of this creation, Twilight's dark path into a twisted enemy begins...

  • ...
12
 56
 4,532

White Pegasus

Fluttershy was slowly trotting through the Everfree Forest, making sure that any animals still out this late were making it to their homes to turn in for the night. Her mind was still riddled with confusion over the recent confrontation with Twilight. She had been friends with the alicorn for decades, even when she was still just as she used to put it ‘a regular old unicorn’. She had never been one to bring her title of royalty into their arguments. For her to suddenly transform into a power hungry monster was disturbing to the animal caretaker. She was busy rubbing one of the muscle cricks in a bear’s back, when a doe bounded up to her, squealing with panic. Fluttershy looked up at the young deer,

“Are you okay? What’s wrong?”

The deer tapped her hard with her hoof. She squealed and snorted, turning around to face the direction she came from.

“Oh my, a Pegasus? Show me where!”

The deer galloped off, with Fluttershy in tow. They ran through the forest with what felt like forever before they came up to a small group of animals surrounding something. They parted as Fluttershy got closer. She gasped at the sight before her;

A tiny and battered Pegasus filly.

Twigs, leaves, and dirt were laced into her matted pink mane and tail, and her white coat was covered in caked blood from the numerous cuts and bruises. Fluttershy immediately took the filly into her hooves. She was drenched in sweat, and a soft wheezing could be heard from her dry throat. She looked around at the group of critters,

“Thank you all for watching over her. She’s in good hooves.” Fluttershy stated before taking off into the sky. Years of battle had turned given strength to her wings, giving her the speed needed to get home in a hurry. Dash walked up to her in confusion as she placed the tiny body on the couch.

“Fluttershy, is that a-”

“Yes.” Fluttershy cut her off. “She was out in the woods and I couldn’t just leave her out there.”

“I got that, but why was she out there?” Dash started her spew of questions, “Where are her parents? Why wasn’t anyone watching her? Who just goes off into the Everfree Forest alone like that?”

“Hush, Dashie. Don’t forget you used to be hot blooded and bold when you were filly. You still are.” Fluttershy started to wrap bandages around her wounds. “Go get me a glass of water please. I’m sure she’s dehydrated.”

The former Wonderbolt trotted off to retrieve a glass of water. The filly coughed and started to stir. Fluttershy smiled at the sign of life. The tiny Pegasus opened her eyes and looked up at the bigger Pegasus. Her eyes were violet, wide, and afraid.

“Hello there, little one…” Fluttershy greeted her with a gentle tone. “How are you feeling?”

The filly wheezed some more as she attempted to stand.

“Oh dear, please relax.” Fluttershy implored. “We don’t want any of your wounds opening back up…”

The filly looked around at her surroundings, “W-where…where am I?”

“You’re in our house, kid.” Dash answered as she gave the small Pegasus the glass. “She found you out in the woods. You got lucky, you’re pretty banged up.”

The filly quickly gulped down the water, “Thank you, ma’am…”

“Oh geez kid, nah. Not ‘ma’am’. Ma’am makes me feel old. Just call me Dash.”

“And I’m Fluttershy.” She introduced herself. “And what’s your name?”

The filly opened her mouth to speak, but stopped. Fluttershy’s smile faltered and started to fade as the filly’s expression started to morph into one of panic. The filly looked up at her,

“I…I don’t know what my name is. I can’t remember…”

“Well…” Dash took a couple steps closer, “Can you tell us why you were out there in the middle of the forest?”

The filly looked down and shook her head, “I can’t remember.” She plopped down on her haunches as tears started to well up in her eyes, “I can’t remember my name, I can’t remember why I was out in the woods…I CAN’T REMEMBER ANYTHING!” she finished before bawling out.

Dash and Fluttershy looked at each other in panicky confusion. Fluttershy turned back to the filly,

“Would…would you like me to name you?”

Her crying died down to quiet sniffles as she wiped her eyes to look up at Fluttershy, “Huh?”

“Would you like me to name you?” Fluttershy repeated with a smile.

Her tiny head cocked to the side and a tiny smile appeared on her face, “You’d do that?”

“Of course…I would like a name if I didn’t have one.”

The filly snuggled up to her, nuzzle the older Pegasus’ chin with great affection, “Yes! I’d love to have a name!”

The yellow Pegasus rubbed her chin thoughtfully.” She looked at her flank, which was devoid of a Cutie Mark. “Hmm…if you had a Cutie Mark it’d help…but that’s okay!” she took a few more seconds to think. “Well…it was a nothing short of a miracle that nothing worse happened to you out there, and that my animal friends found you. I think…’Miracle’ is an appropriate name for you.”

The filly’s body started to tremble with excitement. “Yes…that will be my name. My name is Miracle!!”

Miracle flung her forelegs around Fluttershy’s neck, “Thank you, Fluttershy! Thank you very very much!”

Fluttershy giggled, “You’re welcome!” she smiled and picked up Miracle, standing on her hindlegs as she did so. She turned to face Dash, who had a deep frown etched onto her face. Flutterhy’s smile shrank, and she set Miracle back onto the couch,

“I’m sure you must be hungry. Why don’t you wait here, and I’ll fetch you something to eat.”

Fluttershy lightly hip checked Dash, a silent command for her to follow her into the kitchen. Fluttesrhy waited until they were in the kitchen and out of earshot before she honed in on her wife,

“What was that look for?”

Dash’s face suddenly hardened, “Don’t do this Fluttershy.” She grumbled and shook her head, “I won’t let you do this to yourself, or to me…”

One of Fluttershy’s eyebrow rose, “What are you talking about? I’m not doing anything.”

“You named her, Fluttershy. She’s not ours. Was she alone? Yes, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have parents. Parents that are probably losing their shit right now trying to find her. Good on you for finding her and helping her, but she shouldn’t have named her.”

“She didn’t have a name Dash, what was I supposed to do?”

“You could’ve done what I did, and called her ‘kid’.” Dash coldly responded. “Because that’s what she is; a kid.”

Fluttershy scoffed, “But that’s just so impersonal…”

“Its not supposed to be ‘personal’, Fluttershy!” Dash hissed. “She’s not our kid! She’s not Shimmer!

“Is everything okay in there?” Miracle asked from the living room.

“Yes dear, we’re just trying to figure out what to give you to eat.” Fluttershy calmly replied, thought her eyes were shooting daggers at Dash. She took her head and turned away from her. Dash looked on as she started to grab snacks for Miracle. Dash sighed,

“Flutte-”

Fluttershy raised a hoof, “Don’t speak. You’ve already said what you had to say.”

“I didn’t mean it that way…”

Fluttershy spun around, “So what did you mean? What else could it have possibly meant? You said her name, not me. You brought her into this.”

“Babe…I don’t want you trying to replace her…”

Fluttershy’s anger faltered, “I could never replace her, Rainbow Dash. No one will ever replace our daughter.” She pointed towards the living room. “But that filly could’ve died out there. Whether she has parents or not, they’re not here right now, and she needs our help. And if something as simple as naming her can help her, then I’ll do it. I’ll never turn a blind to someone in need if I can help them. Its in my nature, enough for the Element of Kindness to recognize it. So don’t you dare try to sit there and lecture me, as if I’m doing something brand new!”

Dash’s ears, and gaze dropped. Fluttershy stared at her fore a few moments more before turning back to her task. Dash looked up at her, but remained silent as Fluttershy shot her another look. Fluttershy proceeded to take out a small bowl of oatmeal and apple slices and set the dishes in front of Miracle, giving her a small smile,

“Here you go, little one. Eat up.”

Miracle got a huge and grateful grin on her face. Before she tore into the meal before her. Dash looked on at Miracle with a stoic expression, before walking upstairs. Miracle seemed to feel the negativity in the air.

“Miss Fluttershy, is she okay?”

Fluttershy nodded, “She’s fine. She’s just a tad grumpy.” She looked down at her, “I hope you enjoyed the food. It should keep you full until we find your parents.”

Miracle bit down on her bottom lip for a moment, “What if…I stayed the night?”

Fluttershy sat down beside her, “Why would you want to do that?”

“Its really late. If my parents are out there, they’re going to be pooped from being so worried about me. And I’m tired too. Maybe, I can stay the night, and then we can go out first thing tomorrow to find them?”

A soft smile appeared on Fluttershy’s face, “You’re very thoughtful for such a young filly.” She stood up, “Okay, I have a bed upstairs for the night. Come on, I’ll tuck you in.”

She started to walk upstairs, with Miracle following closely behind her. They continued down a hallway, and Fluttershy stopped at a room to her left. She paused for a moment, taking a few calming breaths before placing a hoof on the doorknob.

“NO!!” Dash roared from the end of the hall. She was quickly upon them, the remnant of a prismatic trail fading as a she skidded to a stop in front of the door.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing?!” Fluttershy shouted at her. Miracle took a couple steps back,

“Are you okay, Miss Dash?”

Dash nodded, “Yup! It’s just…this room is kinda scary.”

Miracle shrank, “Scary?”

“Yeah, um, super scary. There’s a ghost in the room, and we don’t open the door because we don’t want it floating all over our house.” She turned to Fluttershy, “Remember Fluttershy? Some things are meant to be left alone.”

Fluttershy glared at Dash as she felt Miracle curl up around her leg.

“It’s okay if I sleep on the couch. I don’t want to wake up Mr. Ghost. I’m going to go back downstairs.”

With that, the filly bolted back down the stairs and into the living room. Fluttershy snapped her teeth around Dash’s ear.

“OW! Hey!!” Dash cried out as she was being led back to their bedroom. She was shoved inside, tripping and falling to the floor. Fluttershy bucked the door shut behind her.

“What in the gods’ names is your problem?!” Fluttershy brayed. Why would you say something like that about Shimmer’s room?!”

“Why would you let some random kid sleep in her room?!” Dash snapped back as she got to her hooves. “You slept in her room for weeks, and now you’re going to let some random kid sleep in our daughter’s bed?”

“SHE’S NOT HERE ANYMORE! She left us to go be with Eternal Slumber! She left…because she stopped loving us…”

Dash stared at her in disbelief, “Are…are you joking right now? You’re supposed to be the more mature of us two.” Her volume dropped a bit, “She was a teenager, almost every teenager goes through that phase. We just…we just didn’t get to see her grow out of it…” she cleared the lump building in her throat and continued. “She was still our kid…she was created from our love. You loved her, Fluttershy…you still do, I know it. I know you said you weren’t, and maybe you don’t realize it, but I think you’re trying to fill the hole in your heart where our daughter was. The thing is…its okay for that hole to be there. But maybe you should try filling it with the happy memories of her, instead of with this kid.”

Fluttershy didn’t respond. Instead, she was giving Dash a dangerous glare. However, Dash did not wither under her gaze, but mirrored it.

“That room belonged to Shimmer Blitz. The kid isn’t going to sleep in there, and she leaves tomorrow.” Dash stated with finality with her voice.

Fluttershy still didn’t respond. She slowly walked past Dash and grabbed a blanket from the closet. She then grabbed a pillow off the bed. Dash looked at her in confusion.

“What are you doing?”

Fluttershy threw the linen on her back, “Normally, I’d make you sleep on the couch, but since someone decided to talk about to Mr. Ghost, she’s going to need to need someone to protect her from it.”

The canary colored Pegasus turned her snout upward and started to open the door, before immediately flinching and letting out a gasp.

Miracle was standing in the middle of the hallway. Her eyes were bloodshot and glassy,

“I-I can leave h-h-here, if you wa-want me t-to…” she stammered out between hiccups. Fluttershy trotted to her and knelt down a little bit,

“No no no, honey. You’re fine. I don’t know what all you heard, but Dash didn’t mean it. Isn’t that right, my love?” she looked over at the Wonderbolt, daring her to give any other answer than the one she desired.

Dash gulped, feeling her blood free. She was getting ‘The Stare’, and although she had heard what it could do, she’d never thought she’d experience it herself.

“Yeah, I didn’t mean it, kid. I’m sorry.” Dash stuck a hoof, “Do you accept my apology?”

Miracle stared at her hoof for a few moments before hesitantly taking it into her own, “I do…”

Fluttershy nodded in approval, “Good. Now, I’ll stay down there and sleep with you tonight, so you wont have to worry about anything scaring you. Okay?”

Miracle nodded and began to walk back down the stairs, hopping up onto the couch and curling up into a little ball. Fluttershy climbed onto the couch and curled around her as Dash looked on. She stared sadly for a few moments more before returning for room for the night. Miracle looked yawned, and looked up at Fluttershy with sleepy eyes,

“Can we tell Miss Dash that she doesn’t have to worry…I would never try to replace someone that she loved so much…”

A sad smile appeared on Fluttershy’s face, “We will…but later. Right now, we’re going to get some good shut eye.” She gave the filly a friendly nuzzle, “Goodnight, little one.”

Miracle yawned again, “Goodnight, Miss Fluttershy…”


-MLP-


“Wake up, White Pegasus…”

Miracle struggled to do so and obey the voice.

"White Pegasus...you are needed..."

She slowly opened her heavy-lidded eyes and looked around in groggy confusion. There was nothing. Nothing but infinite blackness. She started to panic as she felt the terror of being alone gripping at her.

“Calm yourself…and rise…”

She started slowly rose to stand on shaky hooves.

"Now…come…”

Miracle, suddenly filled with renewed vitality, stood tall and proud. She began to gallop, feeling a tug from the voice. The deep void suddenly flashed to an infinite white. Miracle almost slammed into a huge stallion that stood before her.

He was a massive Earth Pony, a fluid star dotted mane and tail warbling and flowing in an unknown breeze. Asteroids streaked throughout the liquid universes that made up his hair, disappearing in the galaxies that floated amongst them, as miniature planets orbited around his form. His coat color was split vertically, the left side a rich onyx color, and the right side a shimmering ivory. His teal eyes focused on the miniscule pony that stood before him. His eyes were gentle, but the sheer power that surged behind them could be easily seen and felt.

“Who are you?” Miracle asked in a tiny voice.

“I am Ubenox…I am the deity of reality, a child of the universe. There has been a great imbalance between peace and chaos.” He carefully sat down, still causing the void around them to rumble under his weight, “The Corrupted One has risen once again, and in a time period so small, that I am mildly surprised.” Light flashed behind his eyes, “You, White Pegasus, are the key to bringing the balance back.”

“But what can I do?” Miracle questioned. “I’m just a little filly. I can’t ‘bring balance back’, or whatever you’re trying to get me to do, Mr. Ubenox.” She huffed a little, “And please, my name is Miracle.”

“But you can. One of the greatest sources of magic lies deep within your core. It is just…blocked by dark magic and corruption." He lowered his head to the ground, and Miracle could see that just one of his eyes was easily bigger than a grown pony. “And that is not your name, White Pegasus. Your name, along with your power and purpose, have been locked away deep inside of you. You are currently one of the most powerful beings to exist at this time. You are a threat to the Corrupted One, and so…you were meant to be destroyed.” He smiled a little, “Your light may just be enough to help fight back against the blackened and twisted soul of the Corrupted One. You will be one of the great heroes and heroines of all sentient creatures. You will have kept evil at bay once more.”

Miracle’s face hardened and looked more mature. Her fierce violet orbs focused onto teal ones, “Who is the ‘Corrupted One’, and how do I beat them?”

Ubenox rose until he was only sitting on his haunches, “You must unlock your full potential. Break the shackles that are chained to your soul, and face that evil with a strong and pure heart…”

“But how do I doo all of those things? I can’t even remember my real name and where I came from, much less do all those things.”

He got up and started to turn away, the world trembling with each hoof step, A dragon of knowledge is what you seek. It is the first step to this journey. Now go forth, White Pegasus. Do what must be done…”

Miracle watched him fade, and her vision drown in a blinding white.