• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 1,134 Views, 15 Comments

Cross my Heart and Hope to Fly - Tayman



When life is good , sometimes it's easy to forget about what we have, and instead long for more.

  • ...
1
 15
 1,134

Chapter Four

Where is that pony? It's almost three in the afternoon! Fluttershy thought to herself as she strolled down the main road. She couldn't put her hoof on it, but the atmosphere seemed different. The chatter was slightly quieter than normal, that much was certain.

"Cheerilee? Have you seen Pinkie Pie?" Fluttershy asked upon passing the teacher.

"No, I haven't. I didn't see her yesterday, either." Cheerilee shook her head. "Did she go somewhere?"

Fluttershy sighed. "I'm afraid not. Pinkie has been feeling a bit...down recently."

"What?" Cheerilee stopped and gasped. "Pinkie? Feeling down? How is that possible?"

"I don't know. It's just one of those things that happens, I suppose. The mind is a tricky thing."

"That's so sad to hear. Of course, I feel sad occasionally too...but then I see Pinkie hopping around the street with her antics, and I can't help but smile." Cheerilee grinned. "If you run into her, tell her I hope she feels better soon." She nodded as she resumed walking.

As Fluttershy continued towards Sugarcube Corner, Applebloom sprung over from the sidewalk. "Hey Fluttershy! Have you seen Pinkie Pie around? I wanna jumprope with her!" The filly cheered, swinging the rope around in her mouth.

"Applebloom..." Fluttershy almost didn't have the heart to tell her. "Pinkie Pie isn't in the mood to play right now. She's feeling a little sad."

Applebloom's jaw dropped, the jumprope slipping from her mouth. "Pinkie Pie isn't sad! Why, if she's sad, what about all the other ponies that she cheers up? What will happen to them?"

"I hope they'll be fine." Fluttershy uttered. "I'm going to go find her right now. She'll be better soon, don't you worry."

"I sure hope so..." Applebloom sighed, trudging off, jumprope dragging on behind her.

Meanwhile, more and more ponies asked Fluttershy about Pinkie. Where was she? Why wasn't she bouncing everywhere or shouting random things in the streets? Every time she had to tell them what was wrong, and they all sighed or hung their head upon hearing the news.

That's what's wrong. Pinkie isn't here, and every pony has noticed. They need her so they can smile a little more. Fluttershy broke into a moderate gallop.

Pinkie Pie...I hope you're okay.

She burst through the door of Sugarcube Corner and bounded up the stairs past a very confused Mr. and Mrs. Cake. She yanked on the door to Pinkie's room, the doorknob rattling in her hooves. "Pinkie? Are you in there?"

No answer.

The pegasus dashed outside and hovered up to Pinkie's window, and her heart sank. Pinkie was inside lying on her bed, facing away from Fluttershy; the only movement was her steady breathing. "Pinkie!" Fluttershy shouted, knocking on the window.

Pinkie rolled over, her dull, lifeless eyes meeting Fluttershy's. She smiled weakly, before her gaze drifted over towards the wall. Fluttershy banged on the window a few more times, but Pinkie just stared into space.

Oh Pinkie...Fluttershy floated away, fighting tears. With heavy flaps of her wings, she drifted towards Twilight's library.

How did this happen to you? What happened to the pony of infinite happiness I loved? I need you. Every pony needs you.

Fluttershy sniffed. Don't worry. If you can't find your spark, we will.

--------------------------------

About an hour later, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Twilight were gathered at the library. They stood amongst the bookshelves with worried and confused looks in their eyes. Except for Rainbow Dash, who just hovered with an annoyed expression on her face. Fluttershy had dashed around town to round to find all of them, only saying that there was a big problem before zipping off.

"Thank you for coming, every pony. There's something we need to talk about." Fluttershy sighed.

"Oh no...is this about Pinkie Pie?" Applejack said, shaking her head. "Yesterday, she came 'round my farm all droopy and all. Asked me whether I had ever wondered what it'd be like to be a pegasus or unicorn. Really odd question, if you ask me. But the way she walked home...she looked as if she would never be cheerful again."

"Pinkie Pie is...sad?" Rarity gasped in disbelief, staring at the ground. "It can't be!"

"Yes. It's awful. I went to talk to her yesterday." Fluttershy said. "She's worse than sad. She doesn't know who she is. She told me she felt useless. She said she only makes cupcakes and throws parties; that she wants to be able to fly or do magic or do important things that matter."

"Nonsense! Pinkie Pie bakes the most delicious goodies I have ever tasted! And her parties brighten every pony's day!" Rarity scoffed. "She doesn't need magic or wings to be special!"

"Yeah...that girl is somethin' else. I don't know how she manages to know just how every pony ticks. She can cheer up any pony quick as lightning." Applejack said.

Twilight sighed, hanging her head. "Pinkie...how could she feel this way? Doesn't she know we all love her? That she's special in our eyes and that nopony can replace her? Come to think of it, she did seem hypnotized by my magic when I was helping set up for the party...oh dear."

"So what's the big deal?" Rainbow said with disinterest. "Pinkie's feeling a little sad. She'll get over it. She's Pinkie Pie."

"Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy leaped up and hovered over Dash, getting right in her face. "How can you say such a thing? How would you feel if you couldn't fly? What if you felt so useless that you couldn't even drag yourself out of bed in the morning? Would you just 'get over it'?" she snarled.

Rainbow jumped back, slinking into the wall as Fluttershy pounced on her.

"Pinkie has lost her place in the world! She feels as if absolutely nothing in life matters! When I tried to go see her today, she was lying in hed bed, staring at the wall! She wouldn't even look at me! So do not tell me she'll just get over it!"

The other ponies sat in stunned silence, staring as the color drained from Rainbow's face. Fluttershy landed on the ground and gave Rainbow a quick glare before flicking her head away.

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't know she felt that bad." Rainbow choked. "But what can we do to help her, if she doesn't think anything matters?"

"If only I had more books on psychology..." Twilight said, books flying through the air as she glanced through them. "It doesn't make any sense. She was happy before, right? Did anything in her life change at all?"

"It's not that simple, Twilight." Fluttershy shook her head. "The mind doesn't work like that. We could march up to Pinkie and tell her a thousand reasons why she's special and why we love her, but it probably wouldn't make a difference. I...went through the same thing before." She said darkly. "She needs to rediscover her purpose on her own. I told her it would be the simplest thing that would get her back on track. All we can do is give her a gentle push in the right direction."

"If only we knew how..." Rarity sighed. "Poor darling. I won't be able to focus on anything while she's like this." A murmur of agreement followed. They sat there, feeling almost as hopeless as Pinkie did. Their best friend had lost her place, and they had no idea how to show her back to her happy world.

Suddenly, a wide beam slowly spread across Fluttershy's face, a bolt of inspiration having struck her. "I think I know what we can do." She hovered over to Twilight's desk and grabbed a quill, dipping it in ink. She began to write on a sheet of parchment. Just a minute later she was done, not even half a page written. "Here." She said, holding up the sheet. As every pony read it, smiles slowly graced their faces as well.

"Fluttershy, that's so perfect!" Twilight squeed. "Oh please, let this work. Let this bring our friend back."

----------------------------

Maybe I don't have to get up...maybe I can just sleep all day...

Pinkie remained slumped in her bed, still staring at the wall. Her mind and body were both completely numb.

I could read a book...no, I'd just come across characters with lives more interesting than mine. Bake? No. Play piano? I can't play the piano! Tennis? Golf? Boring games. Visit the spa? Learn a new talent? It'd take too long to even bother. Go out and impact the world? How? I have nothing to offer. Absolutely nothing.

Pinkie wasn't tired in the slightest; she was completely alert, which made everything that much worse for her.

No wings. No magic. Nothing special about me at all. I'll never soar in the clouds, or hurl objects through the air with just my mind. So many wonderful spells, but I'll never cast them. I'll never know that joy. Never, ever, ever.

Ever.

Ever.

Ever.

The word droned on in Pinkie's head. It was a desolate feeling: she felt a deep longing for something more, yet she couldn't deal with the fact that the wonderful gifts of flight and magic would never come. She could wait an eternity, but she'd still be the same boring pony.

Stupid Twilight. You just had to come over and show off your fancy magic to make me jealous. And Rarity just had to bring up her dresses and rub her success in every pony's face. You all think you're so special. Rainbow, walk on the ground for once. Do you really have to fly everywhere we go? Your apples taste awful, Applejack. You aren't the only one running a farm around here. Ponyville would be fine without you. We could get some better fruit, like pears. Pears are way better than apples.


Suddenly, a letter slid under the bedroom door. Pinkie blinked a couple times, before pulling herself out of bed and shuffling towards the parchment. She unwrapped the scroll of paper and began to read. She recognized Fluttershy's neat handwriting.



Pinkie Pie:

It's true, some days are dark and lonely. Maybe you feel sad, but we'll always be there to show you it isn't that bad.

Pinkie stared at the words, running them through her head several times. They seemed so familiar to her, but she couldn't quite recall where the they came from.

There is one thing that makes us happy, and makes our whole life worthwhile. That's when we get Pinkie to smile.

Smile. It was all coming back to Pinkie. A wide grin began creeping across her face

Just remember:

Come on every pony, smile smile smile.

Fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine.

All I really need's a smile smile smile-

"From these happy friends of mine." Pinkie spoke along with the last line. Tears of joy began to stream down her cheeks as the song struck her very soul, carrying with it her purpose in life. Images of happy, smiling ponies gushed into her mind; ponies of every color and size, all smiling just after a brief time with Pinkie. She was jumping with them, playing with them, or simply talking to them. No matter what she did, they were all beaming afterwards. Pinkie could feel the joy of every pony surge into her.

I make my friends smile. I make every pony smile. No matter how sad they may be, I can always brighten up their day. No other pony can say that. That's my gift. How I do that-the parties, the cupcakes, the bouncing and hopping and cheering, my antics-it's all a part of me. No other pony can claim to be me.

But if I'm sulking up here...they can't count on me to cheer them up.

Every doubt, every longing, every insecurity she had before melted away, leaving a pure, joyful sensation of relief that she had never felt before. How could I have ever forgotten who I was? Just minutes ago I was numb. I was hopeless.

Now I'm Pinkie Pie again.

Pinkie Pie dropped the letter and bounded out her room and down the stairs, beaming down at her friends, wing and horns and all, their expressions lighting up as they saw Pinkie's bright, shining face and poofy mane.

"PINKIE!" They all pounced and cuddled up against her, rolling on the floor.

"You guys...I'm so sorry!" Pinkie sobbed. "I didn't mean to get so sad! It's just-I don't know! I don't know why it happened! But I'm back now! You can smile again! I promise, I won't ever make you all sad again! Never ever ever! Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!"

"Pinkie, it wasn't your fault! We're just so glad to have you back!" Rarity exclaimed. They all stood up, beaming at each other with wide, happy eyes. "And I'm sorry I didn't notice how sad you were feeling!"

She giggled. "Don't be silly! I barely even saw you the last couple days!"

"Hey Pinkie, you know what this calls for?" Rainbow grinned, zipping over and tackling Pinkie.

"Of course! A PARTY!"

----------------------

Dear Journal:

I don't need you anymore. I promise never to write silly thoughts in you ever again. Cross my heart and hope to fly.

-Pinkie Pie

Comments ( 3 )

401757

Thanks, I took a couple of your suggestions.

I hope you enjoy chapter four (the last chapter). Mainly, what I want to know is if it ends too abruptly or in an unbelievable way. Does it feel like it needs to be padded out a little?

EDIT: After reading through the end again, I've decided it needs just a little more fleshing out. I'll comment when I'm done with the changes. You can read it now if you want, though.

EDIT 2: Okay, have mainly finished editing the last chapter. I hope you enjoy it! I wasn't sure exactly how to end it, so I hope the way I did it seems believable and makes sense.

This was a very nicely written piece. Nice themes explored and dealt with too. Did think the coming out of the depression was a little abrupt and could've gone a bit longer but that's a minor point in what otherwise was a solidly written story.

The only real problem with the piece for me is your look at Pinky herself. Hearkening back to her own childhood on the rock farm would seem to have been on the agenda. Also tossing in more of her desire to bring happiness to others by organizing parties...Only to fail a client dragging her further down might again have been a interesting take on things. Her being called on to decorate and throw a party for the princesses might also have been a good tale. still regardless of those issues great story. Favorited and rated.

Login or register to comment