• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 2,149 Views, 53 Comments

Dashie: Twenty Percent Cooler - Kieva Lynn



A continuation of "My Little Dashie." When Rainbow Dash's memories of Earth return, will Celestia allow her to return? And how has her adoptive father dealt with the loss?

  • ...
9
 53
 2,149

Twenty One

Standard Disclaimer: I do not own MLP, nor am I in any way affiliated with the author of the story this fic is based upon.

XXXXXXX

Chapter Twenty-One

XXXXXXX

Equestria. The sparks flew as Princess Luna and Don Nightmare clashed in an epic duel. The Don was fighting with the use of a magically created scimitar, while the Princess had coated her own horn in a layer of Mythril. It was a strangely balanced conflict; Luna held more magic, and was skilled in using her horn as a weapon, while the Nightmare controlling the Don's body was not accustomed to human physiology. On the other hand, Luna could actually be hurt by the Don's blade, while only the Elements of Harmony could truly hurt her opponent.

And so the conflict was a battle of attrition. Luna was fighting to keep the Don occupied. The Don didn't simply run since that would just give Luna an opening to stab it in the back, slowing it down even further.

"I know what you're doing Luna! Buying time for Something!

"That is my problem to worry about."

"And yet you are clearly not worried." Don Nightmare mused, "so what are you up to, I wonder?"

"You shall learn soon enough!" Luna dodged another swing of the Nightmare's scimitar, the countered with a stabbing motion that ran the man's body clear through. Nightmare responded by pushing away, landing several feet from the princess, it's magic already healing the wound.

"That really hurt. You just took this fight to another level..."

"Come then."

"Gladly!" The Nightmare lunged ahead, striking with a hurricane of blows that took Luna off balance and drove her backwards.

"Cadance, girls, hurry up..." The princess thought, "I won't be able to hold this line for long..."

XXXXXXX

Elsewhere in Equestria, Cadance and the element bearers had reached the vault where the Elements of Harmony were stored. Each quickly retrieved the appropriate one, but Cadance stood in front of Laughter, uncertainty on her face. " What's wrong?" Twilight asked.

"What if I can't use it? It is sort of bound to Pinkie Pie after all..."

Softly, Fluttershy said "Then it doesn't work. But what if it does? You can't let fear of a possible bad thing stop you, especially when there's a definite bad thing to stop. I know I'm the last one to be saying this, as weak and scared as I always am..." A determined look came over her face, "But just because I don't have what it takes doesn't mean it's not true! So you are going to take that necklace and use it!!!!" The normal shy expression returned to her face as she shrunk back. "If that's okay with you, I mean..."

Cadance smiled, as she used her magic to levitate the necklace over her head. "Thank you Fluttershy, I needed that. Now let's go put an end to this Nightmare..."

XXXXXXX

Earth. It was now two hours into Brian's turn at the wheel, and he was still thinking about what Celestia had said, as well as discussing it with Miri who was riding shotgun next to him. "So what have you decided then?" She finally asked.

"If Scootaloo likes the idea too, I guess I should go ahead with it. I just wish I had a way to know, assuming she agrees, that she's doing so because she actually wants to, and not just because it would 'be like Dash.'"

"Or because it would make her Rainbow's sister officially?"

"Yeah, that too." Brian frowned.

"Okay, I see your concerns. But really, she's still just a little girl, Er, filly. Is any choice she makes going to be completely well thought out?"

"That's true... Remind me sometime to tell you about the day when Dashie tried to fix her own lunch. She was maybe five years old, couldn't fly yet..."

Miri laughed. "Sounds like a disaster in the making."

"You have no idea."

Still chuckling, Miri stood, leaned over to kiss Brian on the cheek, and said "I'm sleepy, gonna go lay down for a bit."

"Alright. Do me a favor, send Lyra up here."

Alone now, Brian focused on the road ahead. They were making excellent progress, and were on track to reach New York City in plenty of time. Then he heard a familiar voice, "You wanted to see me?"

"Yeah." Brian patted the passenger chair. "Have a seat."

Lyra eyed the windows uncertainly. "Are you sure that's safe?"

"Oh sure, the windows are tinted from the outside, no one will be able to look in and see you."

“Alright." Taking Brian at his word, Lyra climbed up into the seat and stared out the huge front windshield. "Wow, nice view... So, what did you need?"

Brian sighed. "I know you may not know much about this, being a unicorn instead of a pegasus, but what can you tell me about Brittle Wing Disease?"

"More than you might expect... It affects something like one pegasus in five thousand so most ponies know the basics."

"More common than I thought then."

"Yeah, between that and how important flying is to pegasi, they've dumped enormous amounts of bits into finding a cure, but you know, still nothing."

"Sounds like the kind of problems lots of medical research here runs into as well..." Brian mused. "It's hereditary?"

"Right. From what I understand, in order to fly a pegasus needs two things: power and endurance. Brittle Wing leaves the power intact, but basically eradicates the endurance. A healthy pegasus can maintain full wingpower for hours on end. Those with the disease can only manage a couple of seconds at a time."

Brian thought about this, realizing that it fit Scootaloo's condition perfectly. She could, after all, use her wings to boost her jumps considerably. He said "So basically, they can get into the air just fine... They just can't keep themselves there."

"Exactly. "

"Treatments?"

"Not sure. Special diet and exercises I think." Lyra glanced over to the human. "You really wanna help the kid out don't you?"

"Yeah, I... Wait, how did you...?"

"It's been pretty obvious to me what her problem is for a while now... You know, she's already in better shape than most, just by having Rainbow Dash to help her."

Brian smiled. "I know...”

XXXXXXX

Equestria. Armed for battle, the Element Bearers galloped or flew as fast as they could towards where Luna and the Nightmare were fighting. Of course, the location of the battle had changed, but Finding it was still no problem; the resounding crashes of sound and massive light displays from magical exchanges were visible for miles in all directions.

"Faster!" Twilight urged between breaths as she ran, "We've got to help the princess!"

Expressions of determination came over the ponies' faces as they redoubled their efforts, ignoring the strain in their muscles. A few minutes more and they climbed over the crest of a hill. In the valley below were the combatants. Luna was holding her own, but looked weary. The Nightmare was pressing her back with blow after blow.

"Nightmare!" Twilight shouted, hoping to distract the demon from Luna.

Don Nightmare didn't even risk a glance back, but instead leaped over Luna, half-spinning to land facing both Princess and Bearers at the same time. "Honestly Lulu, this is your big plan? I'm disappointed. You know that won't work without all six elements."

"We may not have Pinkie Pie right now," Rainbow shouted, but we do have Cadance. Y'know... An Alicorn..."

Don Nightmare uttered a singularly vile curse word when Cadance stepped into sight, wearing the Element of Laughter. It tried to dodge the Bearer's attack, but only partially succeeded; it's right arm and hand were hit by the rainbow beam.

Cursing, the Nightmare stumbled away from the place where it was hit, the affected limb smoking. And then a funny thing happened. The right hand balked itself into a fist, and began pummling the Don's head and torso until the left hand fought back.

Observing this spectacle, Applejack asked "Um, Twi... What's happening?"

"If I had to guess," Twilight replied, "I think that the arm we hit with the Elements is now back under Don Calamari's control. And since he, evil or not, doesn't like being possessed any more than anyone else would..."

"He's fighting' back now that he can." Applejack finished.

Rainbow Dash began laughing. "Aw man! We've gotta position ourselves right to get just the other arm next! It'll be hilarious to see the Nightmare getting beat up with no way to defend itself!"

Twilight, Cadance, and Luna exchanged looks, silently debating this idea. "Nahhh..." They said together.

Luna said "It is a tempting suggestion Rainbow Dash. But better to simply end this."

"I suppose." Lining up in formation, the ponies fired off another burst of power from the Elements. Don Nightmare, too distracted to avoid it, was hit squarely, letting out an unearthly scream as the Nightmare was forced out of it's stolen body. Don Calamari fell to the ground unconscious, and the black swirling miasma of the Nightmare hovered overhead.

"Um, shouldn't the Elements have blown the Nightmare herself apart?" Fluttershy asked, staring up at the blackness. "I mean, it didn't stick around like this when we drove it out of Princess Luna..."

"You little foals don't even know how your own power works do you?" Nightmare said, rage in it's voice. "You used a substitute for one of the chosen. It still worked, but weaker..." The beast focused her attention on Luna "I'm not done with you yet..." And having spoken those words, she made her escape, vanishing into thin air.

"What the... Where did it go!?" Rainbow exclaimed.

Luna said "To another world most likely. Though doubtfully Earth with Tia there."

"We're really going to have to keep our eyes open from now on aren't we?" Cadance asked. "That thing could turn up anywhere, anytime, with any kind of powerful host."

"Indeed."

"Well that brings my party down." Rainbow said, "Not that Pinkie's here to throw it anyway..."

"Right. Speaking of Pinkie, let's give some help with the damage, then get back to Earth." Twilight said. everypony agreed, and they rushed back to Canterlot, the unconscious body of the Don in tow...

XXXXXXX

The Bleed. Nightmare appeared in her Alicorn form, cursing Luna and the bearers, and promising swift torturous death to them all. A voice spoke: "You will do no such thing."

"Who's there!?"

Faust appeared directly in front of the Nightmare, radiant in her full glory. Nightmare sneered. "Well well... Queen Faust. This is where you've been hiding?"

"Not hiding. Working. Not that the likes of you would comprehend that."

"Oh no, I've been working too... Let me explain something to you: I've been working on the fall of your beloved Equestria. And when I succeed, oh what I'll do to poor little Lulu... I planned to kill her with the others, but I think I'll make her plead for me to take her again, just so the pain will stop. And then-"

Nightmare was suddenly cut off by the glare from Faust. The former Queen was glowing blindingly bright with power, all of it focused on the Nightmare. And then, in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, the demon screamed in pain as her wings were removed. Not torn or cut off, nothing so crude. Through Faust's power, through her sheer force of will, the Nightmare's wings simply ceased to exist, and the demon herself was bound, unable to move an inch.

Faust slowly strolled up to the Nightmare, looking her in the eyes, and began to speak in a firm yet calm and quiet, matter of fact voice: "Now let me explain something to you... There exist, in the deepest, darkest, most hidden corners of reality, beings so evil that they make you look like a paragon of righteousness. Beings... So powerful that comparing you to them is like comparing a firecracker to the Big Bang. Beings... So soul-rendingly terrifying that compared to them, you, Nightmare, are not even scary enough for the supporting role in a toddler's bedtime story. Indeed, in the deepest, darkest, most hidden corners of reality, there exist beings that are all three of those things simultaneously... Those beings scream in terror, soil themselves, and run like frightened rabbits... At the merest...

Mention...

Of...

My...

Name."

Faust leaned in even closer, nearly touching the Nightmare. As she did so, her horn stopped glowing and the demon found she was able to move again, though she did not do so, for for the first time in her existence she was herself terrified, frozen in fear.

Faust whispered "Run you fool. Run while I'm giving you the chance, and never show your face in this part of the multiverse again, because by the Maker, if you EVER harm either of my daughters again, I will kill you many, many times and feed whatever is left over when I'm done to the Gluemaker!"

Faust stepped back. The Nightmare still didn't move. Faust reared up, and in a booming voice that would make even the Royal Canterlot Voice sound like a whisper, shouted "GO!!!!!!!!" The Nightmare did, in more ways than one...

XXXXXXX

Earth. New York City. Seven-thirty three A.M. The hosts of the CBS morning news joked back and forth with each other between stories, when suddenly a bright light erupted at the center of their studio. The hosts ducked back, covering their eyes, as did the people watching the show from the street. When the light faded, they looked again to see an incredible sight: Celestia, standing in the middle of the room.

“Greetings.” She began, facing the cameras. “My name is Celestia, Princess of Equestria. I come on behalf of my people, seeking your friendship...”

Author's Note:

Badass Faust is badass. But then again, even the Nightmare should have known better than to threaten a child to her parent's face.

And if you question the idea of killing someone many times, well, Faust does operate on a power level that's basically as close to deity as you can get without actually being such. It probably wasn't an empty threat...