• Published 31st Aug 2014
  • 2,869 Views, 113 Comments

Sparkyll and Hyde - Dragon Spire



Within every one of us, even the best of us, there is an essence of Good, and an essence of Evil. Twilight Sparkle will soon discover that there is a cost for tampering with the two essences

  • ...
12
 113
 2,869

Act I: Chapter Two

Act I: Chapter Two:
Of Madmares and Hypocrites

Tap tap tap. Tap, tap tap, tap. Tap tap -

"Miss de Lis, would you kindly stop that incessant noise?" groaned Princess Luna. It wasn't easy to file important documents for her sister when that noise bounced off the walls of the small, rectangular room of Canterlot's House of Law.

Fleur de Lis, facing the Princess of the Night, scoffed. "Well, excuse me for cursing promptness. I am only late to half a dozen other affairs across Canterlot."

Luna instinctively looked up at the clock over her head. It was currently ten-eighteen, nearly a half-hour after the meeting was supposed to start. Everyone of note was here, save for one, given the podium where they would speak was empty and gathering dust.

"Now, now, I'm sure Doctor Sparkle will be here at any moment, busting through those doors like the hero she is!" declared Fancy Pants, earning himself a death-glare from his wife.

"I think we've given up enough of our time," grumbled Blueblood. "How much longer does that doctor expect us to wait and neglect our matters of actual importance?" Allowing a cruel smile to cross his face, he added, "You'd think the prized pet of dearest Celestia would take her responsibilities seriously. She set the meeting herself, after all."

Fancy Pants arched an eyebrow at his son. "This talk of responsibility coming from the stallion who bribed palace workers into getting his name on the list of the Grand Galloping Gala, as well as spread rumors that he was Princess Celestia's nephew?"

Venom snapped in Blueblood's eyes. He started towards his father as Fleur rose to join him.

"Enough, already!" All three unicorns halted, turning to the earth pony in the corner. Cellist Octavia Melody had been leaning into the window, reading over her sheet music, but grew cross at their arguing. "It doesn't matter what we've done in the past. What matters is what we do now, and as the governors of the hospital. And for me, that's make sure a fool like Twilight Sparkle does not let her games get into my head, like it has for you three.

"When - or if - she comes, she'll only prove that she's wasted her entire life with these empty causes of hers. Curing madness? Twin natures of a pony's mind? They're ramblings planted into her head by Discord's black magic." Huffing quietly, she returned to her sheet music, penning a note onto the page.

Her intrusion seemed to calm the other three down, if only a little bit. Luna breathed out, relieved that the argument didn't escalate like last time, when their fifth governor was fired on the spot for making a quibble about Blueblood's past.

Truly, the Governors of Canterlot's Triple Crown Hospital were a fickle bunch.

Ever since Fancy Pants had founded the hospital alongside Fleur de Lis, they established a group of individuals who would maintain legal matters of the aforementioned hospital, since the princesses could only do so much to handle the matter of life in their nation.

They were made up of him and his wife and son, and Octavia. Though Blueblood dedicated his time to his duty since he would take over once his parents had passed on, Octavia's motivations were ambiguous. Already famous as a renowned cellist, it didn't seem enough for her, as she had donated thousands to the hospital, eventually earning her governor position.

Regardless, alongside her colleagues, she gracefully performed her duties, which included but weren't limited to, interviewing new employees, testing and administering new medicines or treatments, or in the case of today's meeting, further the careers of young, aspiring doctors.

If only the aforementioned doctor would show up.

Luna looked to the clock again. Ten-twenty. She may have appeared calm as her sister, but deep inside she was panicking.

Where was Twilight? Her tardiness was already reflecting poorly on her reputation, and as her surety, who took responsibility for her actions within the court, this would reflect equally on her.

The door across from Octavia burst open to reveal a hastily-dressed Doctor Sparkle. She had papers jammed in a tooth grip, and her mane and blue sweater had been frazzled in whatever adventure that had delayed her. Spike, her dragon assistant and little brother, was clinging tightly to her sweater.

Octavia and Blueblood snickered, to which Luna shot a warning glance.

"Shhry, shrry!" Twilight tried to say. "Shike!" Spike wrested himself off her back, then took the papers still hanging in her toothed grip. "I'm sorry, Princess Luna!" she shouted, now free to speak properly. "I thought I had more time, and by the time I left - "

Luna inhaled sharply, calming her jolted nerves. "Understandable. Just . . . don't allow it to happen again, please." Luna was cautious with her words, and her face became a façade of stone. Being anything less than strict to Twilight - with the Governors present - would have led to an uncomfortable situation.

Fancy Pants rose from his seating, beaming with high spirits. "Hello again, Doctor Sparkle. Always a pleasure."

"The same, Sir Fancy Pants," Twilight sighed likewise, smoothing out her sweater and mane. "But you don't have to use my title. We're all the same, average ponies, after all." She heard Blueblood scoff from behind her. "Well, not all of us. Some of us sink just a bit lower."

Luna concealed a smile behind her papers. Ever since one of her friends, Rarity, introduced her and Fancy Pants, their like-interest in science and medicine formed a strong friendship not unlike that of a father and daughter. The very idea of Doctor Sparkle's goal intrigued him, and thus put his funding into her work, purchasing state-of-the-art equipment for her research.

"So what took you so long, anyway?" asked Octavia. "Visiting your mother, Sleeping Beauty again?"

Twilight dropped her eyes to the dark streaks in the marble floor.

"You can't talk to Twi like that!" Spike burst out. "What if you had a loved one suffering in that Hospital, huh? I'll bet - mmphh!"

His defense was abruptly cut off when Twilight formed a zipper across his mouth. Her eyes narrowed in warning, she stared him down until he got the message.

"What I meant to say," the dragon restated once the zipper was removed, "was that Twi was checking, um, Mom's calorie intake with the feeding tubes." He looked to her, then sighed when she nodded her approval.

Octavia let her smugness show, then tweaked with her cello's strings again.

"Now then," began Luna, "Now that everypony - and dragon - is here, we may begin." She did her best to ignore the 'finallys' and like complaints. "Are you prepared, Doctor Sparkle?"

"Just one more moment, please," she said, bringing Spike and her papers to the podium and dusting it off. While she straightened the papers, Luna picked up whispering from Miss de Lis. But her efforts of keeping her conversation hushed were in vain, considering the small room.

". . . you being so nice to her? Do you expect me to let you indulge in her heresy while she . . ."

Luna cleared her throat, cutting off her berating him. Twilight, thankfully, finished her organization, and now stood ready. "Doctor Sparkle. You have set this meeting to speak about a breakthrough in your work, Project TS, correct?" A nod. "And your submission of said request for a meeting was made via these letters mailed to each of us just prior to today." Skimming over each letter one by one, she noted that each was meticulously written and varied in wording depending on the recipient.

"Tell us something we don't know, Princess," Blueblood interrupted. "Such as, why we should listen to this mare's ranting on the misuse of science? We've only heard it a hundred times before in meetings just like this one."

Fleur and Octavia both spoke assent, and Twilight and Spike both, desperate to rein the group in, argued back, creating an indiscernible clamor.

Luna started to rise from her seat, Royal Canterlot Voice at the ready, but Fancy Pants beat her to it.

He, very calmly, walked to the table and pounded the gavel against it. "Enough." His monotonous voice, if not the noise, startled the rest of them. Five other sets of eyes were locked on him, clearly their attention his. "Doctor Sparkle's methods of research may be unprecedented, but that does not change the fact that she is still a mare of great praise, both for her work and her deeds in Ponyville. If not for her and her companions, we would, all of us, be but slaves to Discord's cruel magic. So, as a noble-pony of Canterlot, I say she deserves the chance to present her request. Are we agreed?"

He said this question with a sternness in voice and a furrowing in brow.

Without hesitation, the other three governors settled down, even showing enthusiasm that Luna already knew was forced. He faced Luna and bowed. "I do hope you'll forgive my impertinence for that, your Highness." He returned to his place, nodding at the doctor.

"Thank you, Sir Fancy Pants," Twilight smiled. "Your support in my work won't be ignored once my formula is successfully tested." Clearing her throat, she restacked her papers again, took the first sheet from the pile, and began reading.

"Distinguished governors, before I begin, I must thank all of you for hearing me out in this vital matter concerning our society. I know that through my work, our very understanding of magic and its properties shall - "

"Doctor Sparkle," complained Octavia, setting her sheet music aside, "Perhaps, just perhaps, you'd do some real good to skip the pleasantries and proceed with the purpose of this meeting . . . if there is one to speak of."

"Of course, Octavia," said Twilight without missing a beat. She passed all the cards to Spike, who set the stack aside, taking one to draw on the back. "I'm afraid you'll have to forgive me for my good manners. I wasn't, after all, raised by snot-nosed dignitaries who stick their heads up like drunken turkeys."

Before she could respond, Twilight began her presentation.

"As I was about to say, Governors, Princess Luna, my work centers around this one belief that I have followed since taking up my studies in science: that in every one of us, even the best of us, there resides two separate natures; two distinct souls, if you please."

She held out her hooves to emphasize her statement. "One is conceived of our goodness, and one of our evil. But it's not limited to ponies alone. Every one of the many races in Equestria and beyond have these natures, be they dragon, zebra, griffon, minotaur, breezy - if a race is sapient, they, too, have these natures."

She circled the podium, approaching the governors. "We experience this evil on a daily basis; it represents our actions, whether the intentions are good or not. Our greed, anger, jealousy, even violence, comes from our evil natures, which influence our actions without our consent. This is why ponies like King Sombra and Nightmare Moon came to exist; their evils' pull at them made them who they were."

She turned to Luna, as if nervous. But the Princess nodded for her to continue. What she did in becoming Nightmare Moon were conjured both of her own actions and the pull from her evil, so Twilight was indeed correct to say so.

The doctor breathed out in relief and continued. "But in the medical case, an essence of evil exists to build up over time in certain ponies and eventually render them insane, taking away their sapience."

"So, a nature of evil is similar to a disease, such as multiple sclerosis?" Fancy Pants inquired.

"Yes, exactly like a disease," she pointed at him. She looked beyond excited that at least one was following. "It's a disease in itself, in fact. These insane ponies lose their sapience - their free will to reason and think on their own - and are therefore locked away."

"But is it genetic?" asked Fleur. "Surely there's some marker for who goes insane and who goes, erm, well . . ."

"Comatose, perhaps?" Octavia finished, her stare burning holes into Twilight.

Twilight stammered, losing herself for a moment before restating herself. "No, not genetic. I haven't found any indication of a marker or anything, so I believe it's merely random. Everypony is born with completely different personalities, so their natures and how they function are different as well.

"And, yes, Octavia," she finally addressed her. "My mother's comatose state is included, since it is considered a loss of sapience. But these effects can be countered with the correct combination of magic and science that can separate the evil from the good. If that can be done, a fallen pony's sapience can be returned."

Twilight's excitement began to grow greater and greater as she spoke, like a bubbling geyser soon to detonate. "Yesterday morning, a dear friend of mine helped me discover the final key ingredient to make this separation possible, and my experiments with the completed formula, my TS8, on various animals have all proven successful. So I speak to you truthfully when I say that control over these natures is not fantasy, but it can be achievable."

"An interesting theory," Blueblood stated dryly. "But what does this have to do with the request you've yet to address?"

"I was just getting to that." Twilight sighed, looking to Luna once more. She had told Luna ahead of time what her request would be, looking for advice on how to approach.

"Delicately," Luna had told her. "Speak with confidence, but choose your words delicately when it comes time to make your proposal."

The doctor drew a deep breath, then released it. "My colleagues, my request is this: although my formula works on animals, I must prove it can affect one with sapience. I ask for permission to test my formula on one of the asylum ponies to prove its potency."

As both she and Luna expected, even with such delicacy, Twilight was met with backlash. Fancy stayed quiet, as his voice would already be drowned out by the other three recoiling.

"You see, Fancy?" Fleur proclaimed. "She speaks of sacrilege, tampering with a creature's mind!"

Blueblood walked towards her, face contorted in a sneer. "You're treading dangerous ground, Doctor. Do you expect us to willingly damn an innocent pony to your games?"

This was getting out of control. Luna jumped out from her desk. "Calm yourselves, everypony! She would not ask this of you if it wasn't important!"

"Yeah!" said Spike. "How is she supposed to do her stuff with the potion if you won't let her test it first?" He flinched, as though expecting another glare, but was instead rewarded with a smile from his sister.

"Thank you, Spike. My assistant has a clear point. I cannot treat these patients without a proper test on one with sapience."

Fleur stood with her son, chuckling daintily. "If you so desperately need a test subject, then why not evaluate it on your pet?" She gestured towards Spike. "You did say that dragons are sapient, too."

The dragon's emerald eyes shifted between the unicorns, pupils thin as paper.

"No." Twilight wrapped her leg around him. "I wouldn't risk Spike's safety. Not even to save my mother."

"Yet you're absolutely content with risking the well-being of a pony you don't even know?" said Blueblood.

She just walked into a trap.

"Well, um . . ." Twilight looked at Luna for help.

But what could she do? She wasn't a governor; she had no power to change their minds, not even as a princess. Settling these matter belonged to the governors alone.

Recomposing herself, Twilight said, "Listen, I understand my work is . . . new. Nopony has ever attempted it before. Maybe that's why you're standing against me. It's only Equine to be afraid of the unknown. And I also realize that most of Canterlot shares that same fear, and helping me could put your reputations at risk. But all I'm asking is for one pony doomed to insanity; I can't move forward until I have one!"

"And . . . this would be a terrible tragedy?" Octavia deadpanned.

Facing her, Fancy Pants huffed angrily. "Whatever is your problem with Doctor Sparkle? Can you not see what she is trying to accomplish? She could save many, many lives with the TS8 Formula!"

"Other ponies may agree with your opinions because of your reputation and ownership of the hospital, Fancy Pants," Octavia shot back, "But here, the law of us governors comes first. I will not be moved by your fame. Twilight Sparkle is a heretic and a witch who spits upon everything the Alicorns have done to build our society and fields of science."

Twilight jaw locked into a grimace. "Princess Celestia is the one who taught me all I know about goodness and evil," she asserted, approaching her. "And unlike you three, she never gave up on me when I breached into new territory of medicine or unwound theories unheard of. So if you really have a problem with what I believe, why don't you take it up with her?"

Octavia did not sway an inch. "Please. You'd believe your master if she'd told you the sun was blue and made rainbows sprout out of everypony's plot. You'd believe her no matter what she'd say."

Twilight inhaled shakily. "Are you really here to make a difference? Or did you donate all that money just to have a reason to deny me the chance to save my mother?"

"You never stood a chance. This is Canterlot, where only the strong survive, not ponies leeching off my reputation."

"Enough!" The room shook with Luna's voice. "Do you not see what has happened?" she pleaded. "Even as we speak, our evils drive us against one another - this is exactly what Doctor Sparkle was trying to say! Do you truly hate her so much that you'll choose spite over the furtherance of our understanding of magic, of life?" She looked at them all. Blueblood and Fleur both had poison in their eyes, Fancy had separated himself from the rest of them, and Octavia still eyed Twilight, who was taking care of a startled Spike. "Well? Is there any reason, other than to secure your reputations, that you stand against her?"

Fleur and Blueblood's expressions fell; the latter suddenly became very interested in the marks in the walls, while the former pretended to pry dirt from her hooves.

A smile ghosted both Fancy and Spike's faces, certain that Luna had them where she wanted them - until Octavia spoke up.

"Actually . . . your Highness, there may be one thing the good doctor has missed." The cellist spoke gently, as if talking of weather. "Doctor Sparkle says that this . . . TS8 Formula . . . is supposed to separate our natures from sapient life, and was successful on various animals, correct?"

Twilight looked up at her and nodded, in time with Luna, neither sure of where she was going with this.

Her tone began to take the form of malice. "But she has not said whether these animals were sapient themselves. If the TS8 only separates these 'natures' from animals - whom aren't even your target patients, since they are mindless and lack sapience or morality - how do we know we're aren't damning an innocent pony to your experiment?"

Luna stopped short. Of course the animals Twilight tested on weren't sapient! It was unwise to jump to conclusions and test a live pony at that period! But Octavia had a valid point; testing on someone not of your target patient could mean a world of difference in results. That was why all those experiments worked every time: because the formula was separating something that was never there!

And by Twilight's struck expression, she figured that out as well. How could they convince the governors now?

"Doctor Sparkle?" she spoke reluctantly

Twilight blinked back into reality. "What, Princess Luna?"

The Princess bit her lip, then responded, "I fear miss Melody has a valid point. How do you know a pony test subject would remain unharmed, considering her observation?"

She swallowed. She was looking for a way out, but none came. So she finally answered. "I don't, your Highness. I've only tested the Formula on non-sapient animals, and I don't know what results would come if used on a pony." She dropped her eyes to the floor.

Her face was what hope looked like when it was shattered into a thousand pieces. But Luna still had to conclude the meeting. "Well then," she sighed. "Shall we vote? Spike, you, too, are entitled."

"In that case," he said, "Yes, Twilight should get a test subject! If you dummies opened your eyes for one second - " He didn't need to see Twilight's grimace to know he had to be quiet. "Um, never mind."

Blueblood was next. "As a noblepony of Canterlot, my answer is 'no'. We have enough madmares loose in this city."

Then Fleur. "No."

Octavia followed. "I believe I made my opinion quite clear already, your Highness."

Fancy Pants had not spoken since arguing with Octavia. Closing his eyes, he said regretfully, "I . . . abstain my vote."

Luna sighed again. "By three votes to one, with one abstention, Doctor Twilight Sparkle's proposal is rejected." Pounding the gavel against her desk, she exited her seat. "You are dismissed."

She gathered her papers quietly, only looking up once to see Twilight doing the same at her podium.

Looking back down, she heard Twilight say, "Just leave me alone, Octavia. You've won. What more can you do to destroy my work?" The cellist must have gone to her to gloat.

Octavia's voice didn't sound the least bit affected by her remark. "You should be thanking me, Sparkle. If I hadn't saw your flaw, one innocent pony would be dead, and you would have been, at best, impeached from your position."

She heard her pass by the desk, then approached Twilight. Fancy Pants had gotten there first, whispering, "I am exceedingly sorry, Twilight. I do hope you'll find another way."

She forced a smile. "Good day, Sir Fancy Pants." He took the hint and followed his wife out of the room.

Spike helped Twilight throw her papers away, since they were all notes that would never be used again. "Come on, Spike, let's go home."

He clambered onto her back. "But . . . what about Pinkie's congratulations party? She said she made your favorite!"

"Then . . . I-I'll just tell her I'm not feeling well," she replied glumly. "At least it isn't a lie." She stopped when Luna stepped out from behind her desk.

"Wait, Twilight Sparkle. Perhaps if you convinced them to see a test for themselves. I'm sure Fluttershy wouldn't mind another -"

"It doesn't matter, Luna!" she snapped. "I lost! They refused to listen to me, and now I can't proceed! They may as well have shut my entire experiment down for all they did!"

Luna stepped back. She never reacted like this. Never once did she even use a first-name basis with her or her sister.

Twilight saw the hurt expression behind her eyes and sighed. "I'm sorry, Princess. But it's true. If only they could look past their own greed, and think. They call themselves supporters of science and medicine, but they're hypocrites, every last one of them." She started to correct herself, not meaning to include Fancy in that, but Luna understood. He was the only one of the four who even wanted to listen.

"I do not disagree, Twilight Sparkle. They are fools. If they truly valued saving the lives of others, they wouldn't consider their reputations firsthand. But the power they have to decide matters of the hospital is theirs alone. We can only do so much to counter that."

Twilight heard her apologetic tone loud and clear. "I know. But I also know that I can save my mother, and hundreds, maybe thousands, of other ponies just like her, if only they'd just give me the chance to try!

Link

"How can I pursue the truth when they can block each step I take?" She started to turn away, but Luna met her eyes again.

"Twilight, you have come too far. Remember what you have at stake!"

She sighed. "Yes, I know you're right. My mother depends on me, now.

But I'm so weary of this fight! I have to win, but I don't know how."

Pulling away from her princess again, Twilight felt Spike's warm touch on her shoulder. He slid from her back to see her.

"You have set this dream alive, so we gotta see it through. We gotta see it through . . ."

He held so tightly to her hoof. Even if a sliver of her wanted to quit, he wouldn't let her. Not unless he knew when it was time to give up.

Twilight exhaled, accepting her brother's encouragement. "I'm sorry, Spike. I shouldn't let this get to me. We lost today, but at least they didn't shut us down."

"Yeah! We'll get 'em back, someday."

Taking him in his aura, she carried him out of the room.

"Eight years ago, I started this just you and I; now together we'll see it through to its conclusion!

Who are they to judge my use of science? They're clueless to all the endless possibilities I see!

"It's ludicrous, Spike! I'm bound by their decision!"

"Seems vision is a word they've never heard . . ." contemplated Luna, who followed close behind them.

"If it mattered none, they would earn my derision." She chuckled grimly. "It's absurd . . ."

"Come on, Spike," she said again, letting him walk alongside her. "And good day, Princess Luna."

The Princess of the Night watched until unicorn and dragon leave, dark feelings stirring in her chest before she forcefully stifled them. "And yet . . . the fact remains: those bastards hold the reins . . ."

Locking up the courtroom, she left Canterlot's House of Law, papers in aura. Her and her sister had to finish notarizing these papers, so she flew straight to the castle where Celestia waited. All the while, her prayers for Doctor Sparkle's continued search for the truth went out to her.