• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 2,434 Views, 46 Comments

The Baltimare Incident - Powerdrainer



Follow Soarin and other ponies as they go through a life changing event that will shape not just them, but the entire world as well. This is a crossover with the show Danny Phantom.

  • ...
8
 46
 2,434

Solar Wrath

Edits done by Halusm, Clawder, Clayton the Hunter, and Slayerseba.

Solar Wrath

<<>><<>><<>>

The first light of the moon rose up past the horizon; the heavenly object's path wobbly, as the one raising it pushed herself far past what was normal.

Celestia’s wings beat heavily, leaving a golden contrail in her wake; her eyes narrowed in a determined glare; she descended into the city slamming to the ground, with enough force to crack the road's surface.

She had arrived... and it hadn't gone unnoticed.

Numerous lifeless eyes watched her from the ever increasing darkness, while she herself looked around with growing concern and anger.

All around her, Celestia saw empty streets, abandoned buildings and not a pony in sight: something which should not be. Not in a bustling city like Baltimare. So the fact there was no one concerned her greatly. That and the grisly sight she witnessed during her flight to the city. Now though, even if there wasn't a pony in sight, she could still feel herself being watched; and she herself glared with hot glowing eyes at the numerous green orbs staring back at her.

"Ghosts," she muttered, angrily.

She knew what they were, having heard about these creatures from the humans, as well as several slight incidents with only a hoof full of spectral entities in the past. Nothing as large as what was happening now. And despite the knowledge exchanged with the humans, she knew her ponies, the guards, and the Wonderbolts, were all poorly equipped to deal with such a threat. In fact, she herself also lacked any useful knowledge to effectively deal with these things. Nor did she, or her ponies, possess any of the weapons the humans used to combat this threat.

With hardened eyes, Celestia slowly scanned her surroundings; her horn aglow, illuminating the area with golden light.

A loud screech suddenly filled the air and a ghost launched itself at her; mouth wide open, showing rows of razor sharp, saliva covered teeth.

Celestia, turning to face this abomination fully, waited until the thing was almost on top of her, then she blinked out of existence. The ghosts, confused that their prey had vanished without a trace, slammed into the ground, looking around in confusion. Then, in a flash of gold, a gold-clad hoof connected with its head, a sickening crunch accompanying the impact.

Dropping to the ground, green glowing goop flowing out of the caved in hole in its head, the ghost looked at its attacker.

Celestia, eyes ablaze, stood clad in brilliantly polished golden armor, a long and slender sword held aloft in her magical hold, and a blazing, burning aura of righteous fury surrounded her; the street below slowly beginning to melt. Flicking her hoof clean from the goop still clinging to it, she slowly, deliberately set it down, bringing her sword to bare.

"YOU SHALL DO NO HARM TO MY PONIES!" She shouted in royal decree, her voice carrying far and wide. "ANY OF YOU WHO DO, SHALL BE STRUCK DOWN BEFORE ME!"

Numerous roars, cries, screeches and other unholy sounds came in answer, and the ghosts attacked en mass.

"So be it," Celestia stated, and brought her sword down on the ghost still lying before her; cutting its head clean off.

<<>><<>><<>>

"YOU SHALL DO NO HARM TO MY PONIES! ANY OF YOU WHO DO, SHALL BE STRUCK DOWN BEFORE ME!"

"Did ya hear that?" Sweet Apple asked, ears perked up.

"Hear it? Ah felt it," Apple Gleam grunted; himself, his wife, Scoot Blaze and Sky Rider hiding in a side alley a short run away from the store they'd hid in just the moment before.

"It's the Princess," Scoot Blaze gasped, hopeful they'd be saved at last.

"Let's not celebrate just yet," Sky Rider said, ears swiveling around. "If we heard her, so did everything else. And I don't want to be where all those things are going to."

Apple Gleam, Sweet Apple and Scoot Blaze had to agree with him. As powerful as the princess was, even she would have a hard time with the large number of ghosts. Even more so if she had to keep them, or others safe. So, begrudgingly, they had to agree that, in their current situation, broken wing, leg, and nearly depleted stamina, the last place they wanted to be was where they knew all the ghosts would go to.

"But then, where do we go?" Scoot Blaze asked. "Is there any other place like the restaurant, with guards and such?"

"If ya ask me, I'd stay as far away from such places," Sweet Apple grunted. "You saw what happened when that ghost showed up. No way Ah'm risking gettin' swept away 'n such a mess again. 'Sides, tha smaller the group, tha more difficult we're spotted."

"That may be true," Apple Gleam replied gruffly, "But we're still bein' chased by that Celestia damned ghost ourselves."

"Speakin' of that damned ghost," Sweet Apple said. "Any idea where it is now?"

"No, and Ah rather not find out either," Apple Gleam answered, flinching slightly from a stab of pain in his leg. "... Let's just get outta here," he grunted and awkwardly stepped towards the end of the alley, peeking past the corner to make sure it was safe.

A horrific scream froze them all in their tracks, fear clenching their hearts.

<<>><<>><<>>

Soarin and Spitfire, after seeing their commanding officer go down, were only able to stare in shock when the metallic ghost got to Rainbow Blaze's smoking body before they had the chance to do so themselves. And it was with horror, anger and rising bile that they watched how Skulker unsheathed a wicked blade from his wrist, cutting off Rainbow's tail at the base.

"A fine trophy," Skulker said, putting the bloodied, still twitching appendage in a storage compartment build in his armor.

"YOU MONSTER!" Spitfire screamed, diving down with speed, fully intent to dive bomb the ghost.

With a mocking smirk and taunting ease, Skulker simply hovered to the side; waiting for the enraged mare to fly beside him, then swatted her out of the air with a backhand to the head.

"DON'T YOU DARE!" Soarin shouted, enraged, having snuck up on the ghost while Spitfire distracted him. Or so he thought.

Swinging his body around and slamming his hind legs into Skulker's unprotected back, Soaring was shocked when he simply phased through; Skulker's image distorting.

"Too easy," Skulker grunted, turning visible behind Soarin, weapon aimed at his head. "Fooled by a simple holographic decoy. You're young, inexperienced and not worth my time," he said, almost sounding bored and fired his arm mounted blaster.

"THINK AGAIN!" Spitfire roared, slamming into his side; Skulker's shot narrowly missing Soarin as the sizzling bolt seared a hair's breadth over the pony's head.

"Impressive," Skulker grunted, then an evil grin of renewed interest set on his face. "You actually managed to do what he couldn't," he said, noticing the small dent in his armor where Spitfire's hooves connected. "Maybe I'll add you to my collection as well."

Both Soarin and Spitfire roared their outrage as they attacked again.

"YOU SHALL DO NO HARM TO MY PONIES! ANY OF YOU WHO DO, SHALL BE STRUCK DOWN BEFORE ME!"

Skulker glanced behind him, a wicked grin showing as he dodged yet another swing from the enraged pair of pegasi.

"Or maybe not," he grunted, easily avoiding the pair.

Activating one of his secondary weapons, Skulker fired a blob of green ectoplasmic goop at the two pegasi. Unable to dodge as they were still trying to turn around, the projectile flew in between the two, exploded and connected with Soarin and Spitfire in a webbing of incredibly sticky goop; binding them together, forcing them down to the ground.

"You two stay here for a while, while I decide what to do with you. There are still others who demand my attention and a possible new prey has just revealed itself," Skulker told them, hovering in place with his thruster pack just above them. "If you're lucky, you won't see me again. If you're really lucky, you will. Until then," he grinned darkly, a shadow covering his glowing eyes, "This should keep you occupied." Showing a metallic orb held in his hands, he pressed a button and the orb beeped; a single, pulsing red light lighting up the reflective surface.
Extending his arm out towards the two ponies, he tilted his hand and allowed gravity to take hold. With a clang, the orb fell to the ground, then rolled closer to the trapped pair; both of them watching the pulsing orb roll towards them, then come to a stop several hoofsteps away.

"If you live, consider yourself worthy of my attention. If not… well, I don't think I need to explain what would happen if you don't."

Slowly, Soarin and Spitfire looked from the orb up to Skulker, eyes wide with anger and fear.

"Let's see who steps forth victorious in this battle of the fittest," Skulker proclaimed. "May the strongest of you survive… Long enough to face me."

Activating the boosters of his thruster pack, Skulker shot off into the night; the two flames of the thruster's exhaust revealing his path to the pegasi, before their attention was drawn back to the still pulsing and now also beeping orb.

"Spits… you don't think that's a-"

"I think and I know," she replied tensely, struggling wildly to break free. "Now, quit your jabbing and break free before that thing blows us all up," she barked harshly, eyes narrowed and almost glowing with burning anger.

"Yes, Ma'am," Soarin yelped, the new chain of command asserted, only to be silenced by a terrifying scream echoing through the darkened streets.

<<>><<>><<>>

Pinkie Pie, Maud and their grandmother slowly, carefully stepped out of one of the buildings where they'd been hiding in after seeing several ghosts flew overhead. Now though, unable to stay in the abandoned, overturned sofa store (where, for some reason, they also sold quills) they risked venturing out in the open once more.

"Is it safe?" Granny Pie asked from inside the store, staring hard through her smudged glasses.

"It sure looks like it," Pinkie Pie replied readily, bouncing out on the streets, seemingly without a care in the world; her new best friend, the baby alligator whom she still had to give a name, involuntarily bobbed his head with each bounce as he sat snugly in Pinkie's mane. "Maud?" She turned to her sister.

Maud, unable to find any form of amusement in their current situation, stared at Pinkie blankly; slowly blinking once.

"I don't see any of those things," she answered monotonically.

"YOU SHALL DO NO HARM TO MY PONIES! ANY OF YOU WHO DO, SHALL BE STRUCK DOWN BEFORE ME!"

The rumbling voice of their princess took them by surprise and all three flinched back in fright.

"By the Choosing Stone's mercy. It's the Princess," Granny Pie realized, a spark of hope beginning flickering to life. "Children, let's go. The Princess is sure to get us out of here."

"... okay," Maud agreed without emotion.

"Oki doki lok-" Pinkie chirped happily, only to come to an abrupt stop, eyes crossing as she looked up at the baby alligator in her mane. "WAIT!" She shouted. "We can't go there. Our new friend says it isn't safe."

"Pinkie, what are you talking about this time?" Granny Pie asked, the slightest hint of irritation born from despair tainting her voice.

"Our new friend, the baby alligator with no name says it isn't safe," Pinkie repeated.

"What?" Granny Pie asked, flummoxed.

"Yeah, I know, right," Pinkie nodded her agreement. "What is his name?" Granny Pie and Maud stared blankly at the pink filly.

Pinkie Pie, scooping the small reptile out of the tangles of her mane, held him before her; looking at him quizzically. "Do you have a name?" She asked, staring at the alligator without blinking. A staring contest joined by the baby reptile as, with a seemingly vacant stare, he looked at Pinkie without pause or blink.

"Well?" Pinkie urged on.

Slowly, the alligator's mouth opened, and he bit down on Pinkie's muzzle; taking firm hold with his toothless jaws. Then, after several awkward seconds ticked by, his tongue flashed out of the corner of his mouth, licking over one of his eyes.

"GUMMY!" Pinkie shouted happily, detaching the reptile from her muzzle and hugging him tightly.

"Pinkie?" Maud stepped forward, concern cracking through her otherwise emotionless voice.

"Maud, meet Gummy," Pinkie said, holding Gummy out towards her older sister. Gummy stared unblinkingly at the gray earth pony.

"Pinkie, what's this all about? I know you're excited to have found a new friend, but this is not the time, nor place to sit around. There are horrible monsters everywhere and we must go to the Princess," Granny Pie stepped up, trying to talk some sense in her exuberant grandchild.

"But we can't!" Pinkie stated firmly. "Gummy says that's where all the ghosts are going to."

"What!?" Granny Pie gasped.

"Gummy says the Princess was super loud and all the meany mean ghosts heard her, and are going to her. So we can't go to the Princess, because it isn't safe."

Granny Pie blinked rapidly, taken aback.

"... Gummy, eh… said that?" She asked.

"Hmhmmm," Pinkie nodded enthusiastically.

"Well, talking alligator aside, you do raise a valid point," Granny Pie realized.

"She does?" Maud asked.

"Yes," Granny nodded stiffly. "If we heard the Princess, so did everything els—" a loud, horrifying scream interrupted her. And as they all looked up with wide, fearful eyes, they saw a literal wave of green glowing entities fly overhead in the dark skies; all heading towards the Princess.

"Stars above," Granny Pie gasped, a terrified tremble rocking her to the core while her grandchildren pressed closer to her in fear.

<<>><<>><<>>

With a swift, clean swipe, Celestia's blade sliced through the necrotic flesh of the unholy abomination before her. An angry screech escaping the blackened, cracked lips of the vaguely reptile like ghost, before it transformed into an incoherent gurgling; its head severing from its body, dropping to the ground with a muted, wet thump.

Turning her burning eyes up, she patiently awaited the ghosts' next move while she stared at them with a heated glare of solar wrath.

Power rolled off her in waves, slamming into the horde of undead entities closest to her, pushing them back.

She watched as they conversed with one another, glowing eyes watching her unblinkingly; their luminosity matched by the rapidly increasing numbers of orbs the ghosts held in their grasp.

Yet, as she watched them, she realized something was off. They weren't so much looking at her, but to the body of the slain ghost at her hooves. Following their collective gaze down, a gasp of shock and fright escaped her, and she took an involuntary step back as the dead, glowing eyes of the disembodied head stared back at her; a vicious scowl on its face.

"Impossible," she gasped as a wisp of spectral energy flowed from the head to the lifeless body, connecting to the spine, tapping into its nervous system.

With horror, Celestia watched as the still body started to twitch and move; pushing itself upright, then move for its head.

"CEASE YOUR ACTIONS RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" Celestia demanded, aiming the sharpened edge of her sword at the headless body.

Unimpressed, the body proceeded to grab its head, which had levitated itself up from the ground and towards its body's waiting hands, before reattaching itself with a sickening squelch.

Rolling its head and cracking its neck several times, the horror looked at Celestia, who herself felt a tremor of fear run down her spine. Then, the ghost screamed, loudly, terrifyingly, its voice echoed away through the mostly abandoned streets and buildings.

Recoiling in reflex, Celestia went into a defensive stance, not allowing her fear to stand between her and her ponies' safety.

Securing her stance, she glared down at the ghost before her. And, in extent, those surrounding her. Yet a sudden dimming of the moon's light drew her attention up and she almost dropped her sword when she saw the figurative tidal wave of spectral entities descending down onto her.

"By Luna's mercy," Celestia gasped.

Dark chuckling, low at first, but gradually growing into a loud, maniacal laughter, pulled Celestia's widened eyes down to the ghost she'd beheaded unsuccessfully; it glaring back at her with a wicked smile, showing numerous rancid, needle-like teeth.

Pointing a single, claw-like finger at her, the ghost screeched incoherently and the night lit up with toxic green light.

<<>><<>><<>>

Time seemed to slow to a crawl and Celestia acted in reflex well before any coherent thought could shape or form.

With golden luminosity from her horn, a shield of the same color flashed into existence, fully covering her from the onslaught brought down upon her. Yet as powerful as she might be, even her strength had its limits. And a barrage of more ghosts than she could count in the sparse few second before their attack proved a severe strain on the solar princess.

With a grunt, which quickly turned into a shout of exertion, Celestia gritted her teeth as her shield was struck continuously; her horn glowing brighter and brighter as she fed more and more power into her defenses. Her shield, in turn, became brighter also, until it glowed with such radiance night turned to day and the ghosts all screamed out as they were blinded by the golden light.

Yet this didn't stop them from firing their searing blasts of undead green at the dazzling sphere of light.

They fired more and more of their energy into the deflective, shimmering surface of Celestia's shield, who, in turn, channeled more and more of her solar powers into maintaining her defense. Yet as they did, each and everyone of them became aware of something most… unusual.

The more of their energy the ghosts unleashed, the more it seemed to react with Celestia's magic. Though, not in the same way they had experienced throughout the day, with all the other of their victims.

Whereas their spectral energy collided and clashed most violently with these ponies' energy, often resulting in a devastating explosion, or other cataclysmic occurrence, causing severe injury, or worse, now the two opposite forces almost seem to mix; blending together in an unnatural combination which made all involved weak and nauseated.

Gasping, Celestia swayed unsteadily on her hooves, her magic faltering while, at the same time, the ghosts closest to her dropped to the ground, their attacks failing.

With a flicker and crackle, Celestia's shield failed, exposing her to the dangers outside. Panting heavily, sweat drenching her fur, she slowly looked around while trying to determine what had happened.

Immediately, she noticed the numerous ghosts closest to her in a similar state like her. Some of them even lay on the ground; unconscious, or otherwise incapacitated. Those further back, however, seemed to be mostly unaffected by this new and unexpected development; though they warily looked back and forth between Celestia, and the affected ghosts.

Grunting, Celesta forced herself to stand tall, despite her body's protest; readying herself for whatever new trick these ghosts would throw at her.

"Hmmm, interesting. Very interesting," a strong and eager voice spoke up.

Slightly turning her head and looking behind her through the corner of her eyes, while still keeping an eye on all the ghosts around her, Celestia took notice of the metallic ghost hovering behind her, grinning just a bit too much.

"And here I thought this world wouldn't be able to deliver a proper challenge. But here you are," Skulker said, a shadow falling over his eyes. "I must say, I wasn't expecting that trick you just pulled. But, then again. Neither were they," he looked at the downed ghosts. "You're different; stronger, more disciplined. Your power, more… refined." —a sudden explosion went off in the distance, rattling and shattering the remaining, unbroken windows, while Skulker's grin widened considerably— "Now, I wonder—" he said, paying the detonation of his bomb no mind, typing in a line of commands in his arm mounted computer. "—Just how much of a challenge will you be? You're strong. You have demonstrated as much. But you have also shown clear signs of weakness—" a weapon deployed from his left arm, green glowing light burning at the tip. "—not to mention the strain you've endured against all these weaklings combine-"

During the distraction caused by Skulker, his words rapidly increasing the anger Celestia felt, she failed to notice the ghost she'd beheaded get back up and lunge for her.

In a flurry of motion, the ghost attacked. Caught unaware, Celestia only had time to turn to look with widening eyes; realizing her mistake when, quite unexpectedly, a searing bolt of green flashed past her head with no room to spare; singing a line of black fur over her cheek, impacting dead center into the ghost's chest, burning a hoof sized hole through and through.

The ghost gurgled, coughing up ectoplasmic blood, splattering some of it over Celestia's face, then it dropped to the ground, unmoving. Then, a wildly wavering aura spread out over the fallen ghost, consuming it, leaving nothing behind.

Eyes wide in shock and horror, Celestia slowly looked back at the metallic ghost behind her, seeing him with his arm raised and weapon still smouldering.

"Weakness disgust me," Skulker grunted angrily. "Don't let it happen again."

Steeling herself, Celestia turned fully, glaring up at the monster who saved her life for his own gain.

"What do you want?" she asked tensely, eyes and horn aglow.

"To weed out the weak and challenge the strong. To hunt and kill, and hone my skill. And you are going to help me with this."

"NEVER!" Celestia yelled with fury, boiling heat radiating off of her.

"Oh, but you will," Skulker grinned. "Like I said, you've shown both strength and weakness. Weakness I can exploit." His grin now turned into a truly evil smile. "You shall do no harm to my ponies. Isn't that what you said? Any who do, shall be struck down before me. Isn't that the promise you made?" With each word he spoke, more and more shadows covered his face, until all that could be seen was his silhouette with green glowing eyes. "Oh, I've done a lot of hurting your ponies," he told her, pulling out and revealing the blood smeared, rainbow striped tail in his possession.

Celestia flinched back in horror, recognizing this all too familiar color scheme. Then, her anger exploded much like a supernova and her mane, and tail burst out into fire.

"YOU TAKE OVER THIS CITY, HURT MY PONIES, AND FIND ENJOYMENT IN THEIR SUFFERING!? ENOUGH!!! YOU WILL BE MADE TO PAY FOR YOUR CRIMES!" Celestia roared, her mane a billowing inferno.

"Oh, I'm counting on it," Skulker grinned, deploying his weapons. "May our fight be long and worthy." He grinned, his face reflected in the polished metal of Celestia's sword.

<<>><<>><<>>

A few minutes prior.

Soarin and Spitfire struggled in their bonds, desperately trying to break free before the explosive device would detonate.

"GHAAA!" Spitfire grunted, managing to pull one of her front legs free from the sticky goop.

With the same strenuous effort, Soarin followed suit and pulled free his left hind leg.

Now both pegasi had some leverage to help them in their escape and they quickly set to work; Spitfire using her leg to grab and rip off several strands which immobilized her wings, while Soarin scraped free his other leg. Though it was slow going, because each and every time they did so, their hooves would get stuck again. But with their increased movability, it became easier and easier to break free. And after far too much time had passed, both pegasi were able to stand up; no longer stuck to the ground, though they were still connected to one another. Time to remedy that situation they didn't have however as, with a sudden and rapidly increasing beeping, the pair looked at the metallic orb near them, it's pulsing light now flashing faster and faster.

""RUN!!!!"" They both yelled.

Not wasting any time fumbling around, they quickly matched each other's pace and dove for cover behind an overturned carriage.

The night lit up a sparse second later, joined by a deafening blast; its shockwave knocking into the pair through their cover, splintering the wood and filling the air with dangerous projectiles.

Seconds ticked by, turning into minutes as the two pegasi lay lifelessly on the ground. The carriage they hoped would protect them, destroyed completely. Their bodies, still connected by numerous strands of slightly luminescent green goop, now also were spotted with red blotches, slowly growing as they bled from the numerous cuts and gashes the barrage of splinters inflicted.

Spitfire was the first to twitch, then groan as she sluggishly tried to push herself back up; her vision hazy and the world around her blurred, and dizzying.

Soarin followed soon after, not faring any better than his team mate.

"Ca- gha- Can you move?" Spitfire grunted, trying her hardest to stay on her hooves.

"I-... I'm not sure," Soarin groaned, struggling to push a leg behind him and pull himself up.

A sudden tearing noise, almost unheard through the ringing in their ears, snapped their attention to their flight suits. Their weak struggles to push themselves back up, along with the damage caused by the numerous splinters cutting through the fabric, had weakened them to the point they now tore apart, and large patches fell to the ground; taking with them most of the strands of green the ghost had trapped them in.

"Well- ghnnn- that solves that," Soaring groaned, then a singular thought suddenly sharpened in his mind. "Wait! What about the captain?"

Spitfire's breath got caught in her throat, eyes widening in alarm and she tore off the rest of her suit in a sudden burst of adrenaline induced strength; not even noticing the many sharp stings of all the splinters she dislodged and even forced deeper into her body.

Soarin, too, didn't waste any time freeing himself. But his attempts to free himself from the suddenly constrictive grasps of his suit slowed him down greatly. So much, so, that Spitfire had already dashed into the darkness to their captain's last known position.

A sudden, strangled gasp, followed moments later by an cry of absolute outrage gave Soarin the remaining strength he needed to break free and he didn't waste any time joining his partner.

He only made it halfway to her, though, as, partially illuminated by the moon's light, he could see what had caused Spitfire such distress.

There, lying on the ground several impossibly far steps away, lay Rainbow Blaze; his eyes glazed over, numerous burns and gashes marring his body. A dark patch of blood at his hind body, flowing from the stump where his tail once was. And, lodged deeply into his chest, was a large piece of the carriage.

Soarin felt his already weak strength fail completely and he fell to the ground; trying to avert his gaze, but impossible to do so as he stared at the mutilated corpse of his captain.

A static crackle filled the air and Soarin finally was able to pull his sight away from his captain, only to come up to a sight which scared him even further.

Spitfire, her entire body shaking, teeth grinding, slowly turned away from Rainbow Blaze, looking towards where Skulker had flown off to; her pupils so small they were barely perceptible and several small arcs of electricity lancing off her mane.

With a cry, which sounded more than a feral roar, she shot off into the night with a thunderous boom, leaving behind her fallen captain and injured comrade; only one thought clear in her rage addled mind.

Revenge.

<<>><<>><<>>

A large group of ghosts stood, hovered, or otherwise occupied their chosen space as they surrounded the two combatants in a large circle; watching with rapt attention and wicked grins as Skulker fought with the powerful, white pony. Yet none of them dared to intervene and get an easy shot at the pony; their fear of Skulker keeping them at bay.

Celestia, however, did not fear him. She hated him, loathed what he had done and acknowledged him as the skilfull adversary he was. But fear… After everything she had lived through, everything she had experienced, the fiend now facing her didn't even phase her.

She did, however, fear for her ponies' safety. And the knowledge so many had already been injured… and worse, killed, focused her mind on her enemy; her sword cleaving through the air with lethal skill and precision.

Her horn was ablaze with solar magic; eyes glowing with the same fury; the night lit up by the living inferno her mane had become.

Her motions were a blur, none of the ghosts could keep up. None, but Skulker. His trained eye capable of keeping track of each and every step Celestia took; calculating his every move based on what she did and vice versa.

Yet for all her righteous anger, Celestia moved with grace and determination; not allowing her anger to get the better of her, lest she made a mistake. She moved with a fluidity, more akin as if she was dancing than locked in mortal combat.

Her blade swung, precise and lethal, yet with an unmistakable grace only one most skilled could show. And Skulker reveled in it. Here she was, the one prey he'd looked for. Strong, powerful, trained, skilled, determined and oh so angry.

Each swing of her blade, he dodged with a grin. Each searing beam of her magic, he evaded with a laugh. And with a true sense of completion, he watched as his own attacks collided with Celestia's shield; only managing to injure the ghosts closest to them as his shots ricocheted.

Though sometimes, when Skulker used his weapons powered by his own energy, the same, strange, nauseating wave would occur when their energies clashed.

It was strange, no doubt about it. During his time here, hunting and killing, he had encountered several strange occurrences. Most noticeable of them, the more than sizable dent still in his armor left by that stallion he'd first encountered. This new development, however, puzzled him. Not so much he'd put too much thought behind it. But enough for him to hold back with his spectral based weaponry and primarily use his basic, kinetic weapons, as well as his wrist blade.

Celestia, for her part, stood steadfast, not allowing this nauseating wave to slow her down. Yet she noticed her opponent, as well as all the other ghosts were affected by this unusual energy as much as she was. Maybe even more. She also noticed Skulker took exception to this and changed his tactics; avoiding the use of certain weapons. Though it didn't do much to help her. She was still surrounded by a mob of ghosts, all of whom seemed to hold back for now. Either afraid by what Skulker had done to their suspected leader, or waiting for a possibility to strike themselves.

Of course, despite her disadvantaged situation, she continuously analyzed every instance of the battle and surroundings. After all, a good understanding of any battle makes the difference between victory and defeat. And she wasn't unaware of her own involvement relating to the debilitating wave of nauseating energy. She soon picked up that when her magic interacted with their spectral might, this strange energy was unleashed. And as much as it debilitated her, it was also an effective weapon against these unholy abominations. Realizing this, she charged her horn; aiming her concentrated might at Skulker, forcing him on the offensive; hoping that, if they could do it to her, she could do it to them as well.

Skulker, however, quickly saw through her plan and opted instead to dodge out of the way; unleashing a barrage of rockets, forcing Celestia to project a shield over herself instead.

"This will not be an easy victory," Skulker grunted, revving up his small, arm mounted gatling gun. "And don't think you can force me to make a mistake. I'm not so easily foole-"

So busy was he focusing on the princess, he made a critical mistake. He left his back wide open. And with a roar of primal rage, moving so fast her form was nothing more than a blur, Spitfire slammed full force into his back; the both of them crashing into the unyielding ground, each bouncing once, then skidding off in separate directions. Skulker, roaring in surprise and anger; his armor critically damaged from behind. Spitfire, screaming in debilitating pain; both front legs broken from the impact with Skulker and numerous other bones cracked, broken, and shifted with the subsequent collision with the ground; a long smear of blood left in her wake.

"SPITFIRE!" Soarin cried out for his comrade, having been able to force himself into motion and only now catching up with her.

Too late, he quickly realized.

"Ghrrr," Skulker grunted, slowly pushing himself up with his right arm, his dark green glowing eyes piercing the shadow covering his facade.

A spark shot out of a critically damaged component in his armor and a quick system's check later revealed his left arm was disabled.

Slowly turning around, his murderous gaze locked onto the downed pegasus.

"How disappointing," he spat. "So much potential, wasted on a single, rage blinded strike, which may have damaged my armor, but crippled you completely." He snorted in disgust. "I'm done wasting my time with you," he said, lifting his right arm, aiming his blaster at Spitfire. Then, nothing. He dropped his arm, grunting. "You're not even worth killing now. It would only be a mercy." He then quickly jumped to his left, avoiding the swift strike of Celestia's blade descending down on him.

Looking at the enraged princess and carefully considering his position, Skulker roughly grunted in anger, and annoyance.

"You can have them, for now," Skulker barked at the gathered ghosts. "Keep them busy while I repair my armor."

Numerous barks, roars, screeches and other unholy sounds replied in answer; the many glowing eyes burning just a bit brighter.

"Coward," Celestia hissed. "Stand and fight."

Grinning, Skulker slowly turned to face her.

"Or else?" He asked. "The way I see it, you only have two choices. Either we continue our fight, here and now, and leave that one for my… associates," he said, giving the faintest of nods towards Spitfire. "Or you focus your attention on that weakling, defending her while fending off any and all attacks."

Celestia narrowed her eyes, charging her horn with a spell.

In a flash, Spitfire's body was gone and Soarin, still standing on the side with empty eyes, suddenly grunted from the unexpected weight on his back.

Looking behind him, he saw Spitfire draped over his back; unconscious, front legs held in unnatural angles and bleeding severely.

"Private," Celestia called out to him, never averting her eyes from Skulker, who slowly shifted his gaze from where Spitfire was, to where she is now. "Take her away someplace safe, while I deal with this filth."

Soarin sputtered, unable to put his broken thoughts in alignment.

"THAT'S AN ORDER!" Celestia barked harshly and this time something clicked in Soarin's mind.

More on autopilot than conscious thought, his wings snapped open and he quickly shot away.

"... Matter transportation capabilities," Skulker grunted, surprised, almost impressed. "None of the others have demonstrated this ability," he said, more to himself, as he turned back to face the enraged alicorn. "Suddenly this engagement has become that more interesting."

"You shall not hurt any more of my ponies!" Celestia seethed through teeth.

"Oh, I shouldn't worry about me… much," Skulker grinned darkly. "After all, my previous threat still stands." Glancing to his side, he saw the many evil smiles from his spectral brethren. "After all, you may be able to hold your own against me. But against us all?"

"You shall not win!" Celestia stated, readying her sword.

"We'll see," Skulker replied eagerly. "But no matter the outcome for me, you've already lost." And with those words, Skulker fired his still functioning right arm blaster.

It was a wild shot, easily dodged by Celestia, but Skulker continued firing and thus allowing the ghosts surrounding them to fly off into the night; a sizable group following after Soarin.

"Now we're going to find out just how big of a loss this truly is for you," Skulker laughed.

Author's Note:

Wow, will you look at that. A new chapter, and after such a long time of inactivity. Well, it had to happen someday, right?

Anyhow, regardless of how much time has passed, I hope you've enjoyed this chapter, and the continuation of this story. Let me know in the comments. And speaking of comments, should you spot any mistake, or anything else that seems wrong in one way or the other, please let me know.

~Powerdrainer