• Published 10th Apr 2014
  • 744 Views, 13 Comments

The Shadow of a Stranger - Sugar_and_Sins



A darkness is approaching Equestria and a stranger has arrived to bring the word and help stop the darkness in its tracks.

  • ...
4
 13
 744

1: The Messenger

The moon hung high over Equestria, it's dim glow brightening the otherwise dark nights in the peaceful land of Friendship and Harmony, all of its residents at rest from their busy days of work and play, that is all but two.

"Maintain your focus, Twilight," said Princess Celestia.

The lavender unicorn sat in front of the princess, eyes closed, beads of sweat trickling down the sides of her face, muzzle scrunched up in concentration and the sparking of magic at the tip of her horn getting brighter and brighter.

"That's it, keep your mind steady."

Twilight shifted uncomfortably under the pressure being triggered by the knowledge of her mentor's watchful gaze, her horn aglow with a bright purple light and with a flash, the spell in progress became less of a spell in progress and more a spell that went horribly wrong and exploded almost destroying the princesses' study.

"Ow..." Twilight groaned as she rose from the scorched spot on the floor, holding a hoof to her aching head as she surveyed the destruction caused by her less than successful spell. Much of the furniture was charred black and many pages from destroyed books were scattered around the study, some still in the air. Twilight watched a page float to the floor next to her mentor's hooves with a guilty look on her face. "I'm so sorry, Pri-"

Celestia held up a hoof to cut her off. "It's alright Twilight, furniture can be replaced but; what about your head?" She put a hoof to Twilight's chin, turning her head any which way looking for signs of damage. "When the spell backfired it looked rather painful, are you alright?"

"I'm fine. I mean my head hurts a little, but other than that nothing major," Twilight said with a sheepish grin.

Celestia studied Twilight with a curious eye. "Regardless, get some rest, we will continue to practice tomorrow, hopefully without blowing up my study a second time."

Twilight looked up at the Princess, her face full of embarrassment.

Celestia simply smiled at her student with a forgiving smile. "Now run along to your quarters, I have some cleaning to do."

"Are you sure you don't want me to help? I could arrange your bookshelves or-"

The Princess cut her off with her hoof again. "Twilight, please go and rest, I don't want you straining yourself after an accident like that, it would only make your head worse."

Twilight hung her head in defeat and walked towards the door to the hallway, opening the door she turned her head to Celestia. "Goodnight Princess."

Celestia smiled softly back at her. "Goodnight, Twilight." the lavender mare returned the smile before closing the door behind her and trotting off to her quarters. Celestia looked around the room and sighed as her horn lit up with a bright magical aura.


Twilight slumped on her bed sighing deeply and resting her foreleg over her eyes, Maybe I should have studied more before I came to the Princess for advanced spell training... She thought to herself, a frown forming on her face as she felt a sudden throbbing pain in her head. Oh great, now it hurts to think... She moved her hoof to her forehead and rolled onto her side, closing her eyes in an attempt to ignore the pain and get some sleep.

A couple of hours later...

Twilight shifted about uncomfortably in her slumber, her mind plagued by images of ponies living on the streets and in broken homes, with shadow like creatures floating about infesting the minds of the ponies and turning them against their family and friends, their shadows morphing into twisted versions of their host, mentally blinking she found herself stood in the middle of a familiar street. "Is this... Ponyville?" She looked around spotting a hooded figure in the distance, stepping cautiously closer Twilight spoke, "Uh hello? Where am I?" Upon closer inspection, the figure was wearing a long, brown, tattered cloak with grey hooves exposed at the bottom and purple hair hanging out of the face of the hood.

"You might want to wake up soon, we wouldn't want him to get to you now would we?" The figure said without turning to her.

"Pardon? Wouldn't want who to get to me?" Twilight asked curiously raising an eyebrow.

A dark laugh resonated through the air around her followed by a voice. "When the stars fall, the reign of darkness will begin!"

Twilight turned on the spot searching for the source of the voice, she looked to the figure for answers only to find the spot where it stood empty. "Who are you?!" The voice laughed again, this time it sounded like it was next to Twilight’s ear. as she spun around her mind went black, except for a pair of large purple eyes that stared longingly into her soul as the laughter continued to echo through her head. "Stop it! Stop laughing! STOP!"

Twilight shot upright in her bed, panting heavily with her eyes wide open in fear. She held a hoof up to her still aching skull and laid back slowly onto her soft pillow. That spell really did a number on me, never had a spell give me nightmares before, first time for everything I suppose... She thought to herself, resting a hoof on her stomach.

Twilight closed her eyes yet again in hopes that she could sleep without her dreams being invaded by shadowy figures speaking dark prophetic nonsense. Her hopes were soon dashed by the chatter of a couple of guards stationed outside of her room. Lifting herself out of bed, Twilight shuffled lazily towards the door. Darn guards, don't they know somepony is trying to sleep in here?! She thought to herself as she brought her hoof up to the door handle.

"He's speaking with the Princess now," One guard said nervously.

This caught Twilight's interest. Not that she was one for eavesdropping on other pony's conversations, but she couldn't just ignore something involving the Princess, after all, it was these jerks that woke her up so it's their fault if she hears anything she shouldn't hear, right? Lowering her hoof from the handle, she pressed her ear against the door.

"What are you so worried about? You said he was just a messenger," The other guard said.

"I know, but everything about him just felt... Wrong. His presence made me feel so uneasy and it felt as though his very shadow was... Alive," The first guard said as he shivered.

Twilight's eyes widened slightly as she thought back to the dream she'd just had and how the guard's description sounded similar. There can't be a connection can there? Don't be silly Twilight, it was just side effect of the spell exploding in your face, that's all. She thought to herself, her eyes returning to their normal size as she listened on.

The first guard continued, "That cloak and hood didn't exactly make him look like a saint either."

Twilight's eyes widened once again this time a little wider than before, she slammed the door open causing both guard's to jump, grabbing the first guard's shoulders she asked, "What color was the hood and cloak?!"

Recoiling back a little from the sudden surprise the guard replied, "Uh brown I think, why? Is something wrong Miss Sparkle?"

"Was it a worn cloak?! Did it look tattered?! What color was his coat?!" She asked, desperation present in her voice.

"Yes it was rather tattered in fact and I believe his coat was grey."

Twilight's jaw dropped so fast she was sure it hit the floor, letting go of his shoulders she stepped back. This can't be right, it's just a coincidence, right? It's gotta be, it has to be! She thought, her mind running wild.

"Miss Sparkle, are you alright?" The guard asked stepping closer.

She simply shook her head slowly and darted in the direction of the Princesses' study as fast as her hooves could carry her. The memories of that dream playing over and over in her head. That pony... That voice... All of those shadowy apparitions... Oh Princess I hope you're okay! Soon enough she found herself outside of the study, taking a deep breath she barged in. "Princess!" The study was neat and tidy again, just the way it was before the incident with spell.

The Princess was seated beside a small coffee table with a teacup held in her magical grasp. "Twilight? Shouldn't you be sleeping?" Celestia asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I uh-" Twilight glanced over to the other side of the table to see a grey stallion with a purple mane, deep purple eyes and the same tattered brown cloak from her dream draped over his back. He was staring at her with a surprised look on his face. "-I couldn't sleep..."

"Well then, come sit with us my student, we have much to discuss." The Princess patted the pillow next to her with a hoof, gesturing her over.

Twilight walked cautiously over to the spot next to the Princess, the whole time keeping eye contact with the strange pony from her dream. "Who's our guest?" Twilight asked with a serious tone.

"This is Shade, a messenger from a distant land, he has brought me urgent news of which we were discussing before you 'walked' in." Celestia gestured a hoof over at him.

Standing up Shade stuck out a hoof to Twilight and grinned widely. "Hi, I don't believe we've met."

Author's Note:

Hi guys,

I'm assuming you got this far by reading so, thanks for reading the first chapter of my first story ever! Any and all feedback is appreciated and i'f all goes well more chapters will be on the way! :D