• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 553 Views, 7 Comments

Dead Equestria - NukaColaOvrseer



Who would have thought that a zombie apocalypse would find its way to Equestria? Not me...

  • ...
 7
 553

Things Get Weird

Note: First Fanfic, Constructive Criticism blah blah blah because I’m sure you’ve seen crap like this before. But seriously don’t say anything that will either piss me off or make me cry.
P.S. (Don’t mind the little mistakes. I don’t have a pre-reader...)

Chapter 1

“Ugh, you’d think I’d be used to walking long distances by now...”

I had been walking all night to make it back to Ponyville, not wanting to sleep right next to the Everfree Forest. Years ago I opened a moving company in Ponyville and it usually took me all over Equestria. This particular time I had moved a customer from Fillydelphia to Manehattan. After finishing the job, I needed to get back to my base of operations in Ponyville. It just happens that in order to get to Ponyville from Manehattan, one must walk all the way around Everfree Forest.

Apparently Manehattan was having a virus of some sort going around, considering it took me hours to get past a blockade outside the city. At the blockade, they tested everypony’s blood going into or coming out of the city. After hours and hours of lines they finally tested my blood for the virus. After another hour, the sample ended up being negative for the virus. Just as I was about to leave a pony in a white lab coat had pulled me aside to tell me about a “Special immunity you’re blood has to the virus.” The scientist looking pony asked me if I could stay for a few more tested after that. After waiting hours, I really didn’t want anything to do with them and politely refused.

After a little walking and thinking back, the whole thing was actually quite terrifying at the blockade. The magnitude of weirdness some of the questions they asked was unsettling. Questions like; “have you been bitten in the last 24 hours by another pony?” and “have you had cravings for another pony’s flesh?” really disturbed me...like a lot. Oh and if you didn’t pass the test, most of the ponies were ripped from their families or dragged to an isolated area for further testing. I don't know what was so bad about this so called "virus", but assuming a could get into Ponyville fine, I honestly didn't care.

With all that thinking about the blockade, I neglected to notice the hole in the middle of the path. Sure enough, I tripped and hit the ground with a loud thud.

“You know Lucky, you always find the stupidest ways to hurt yourself!” I yelled, obviously annoyed at myself.

I got up and sighed heavily, pushing my black mane out of my face. Mane and tail both black, had always gave me a distinct look. I always wear my satchel around my neck, usually for water or food while on the job. After brushing debris from the fall off my orange coat I looked at my cutie mark. A four leaf clover never made much sense to me considering I always had bad luck.

Rubbing my golden eyes to attempt to get the dirt out that was clouding my vision. I looked up at the sun which had been up for a few hours. I knew it was probably about eight o’clock and still a couple hour walk to Ponyville, so I decided to take a break. I walked off to the side of the dirt path, making sure the cart was out of the way if any travelers came wandering by. Using my magic, I levitated the harnesses off and set them to the side. Since I had no cargo, I climbed into the rather large moving wagon to lie down. I was out like a light before I knew it, taking an unexpected nap.

*** *** ***

*THUD*

“Ouch!” I groaned rubbing my head where it was hit by an unknown object. I looked down to see an apple rolling into a corner of the cart.

Unluckiness: 2, Lucky: 0

I glared at the apple and sighed realizing that I had fallen asleep by accident. It was probably about three o’clock in the afternoon from where the sun was at. If I started now, I might be able to make it to Ponyville just before sun down. With that in mind, I jumped out of the cart and attached the harness around my shoulders. I started walking down the dirt path again making sure to watch for holes this time.

*** *** ***

I was only a few minutes from the outskirts of Ponyville. I knew that because apple trees started to appear on my left more often than not, symbolizing I was getting close to Sweet Apple Acres. After a few minutes, Luna’s moon decided to show its glow off on the cloudless night. Sitting up on the hill that overlooks Ponyville, I couldn’t help but to have a warm feeling. All the lantern lit poles radiating the town, telling everypony that it’s time to sleep.

“That never gets old.” Is all I could say, mesmerized by the way the moonlight hit the town.

After just about making it to the town, I was greeted by a familiar yet unfortunate site...a blockade. “REALLY?” I muttered and cursed under my breath getting close to the blockade. As I grew closer to the barrier, I shut up and put on a smile hoping to get home as soon as possible.

“Halt!” One guard shouted. Instead of the city guards from Manehattan or Fillydelphia, this was a Royal Canterlot guard.

I quickly obeyed, stopped and waited for further instruction. “Good, now unhook yourself from the wagon and come closer...slowly.” Another guard said in a stern voice.

After removing the harness, I went to the front of the barrier and took a look around. They had completely blocked the road off with sandbags and carts parked behind them for support. There were at least 10 guards stationed around, making sure to keep out anything they wanted.

“Stop, state your business!” blurted out suddenly, making me snap out of my train of thought.

“I just wanna get to my house.” I said flatly, after a few seconds.

He narrowed his navy blue eyes at me. “Sorry, but we are on strict orders not to let anypony in or out of Ponyville.” The guard said a matter of factly. “I suggest coming back in the morning to see if our orders have changed.” He added.

I sighed in defeat, knowing I wasn’t going to get in tonight. “Okay. Can I at least leave my cart here, I don’t really feel like lugging it around anymore...” the guard looked back at his superior who gave a nod, obviously hearing the question I asked.

“Yes, but move it off to the side.” he ordered, pointing a hoof to the side.

I gave him a nod and pushed the moving cart just off the path. After that I pulled a bag out with tools in it so they wouldn’t get stolen or “misplaced” and put them in my saddle bags.

I walked back to the guard. “Why are you guys doing this anyway?” I said gesturing a hoof to some of the sand bags.

The guard sighed and shook his head. “Sorry sir, I can’t give out any information until givin’ the order.”

“Well back in Manehattan at least ponies could get in and out.” I muttered under my breath.

Apparently the guard noticed and raised an eyebrow. “What was that about Manehattan?” the guard asked with a hint of concern.

I, being a clever pony, picked up on the guards sudden change in character and decided to take advantage of it. “Hmmm... Let’s make a deal, shall we? You tell me any info you have and I do the same.” I said with a smug grin.

The guard looked back to make sure his superior wasn’t looking and whispered. “Okay, make it fast though.”

I nodded and told him what happened, excluding the part about my blood being immune or something. It probably wasn’t important anyways. “But that was about a day and a half ago, give or take a few hours.” I shrugged and finished.

“I see...well a deal's a deal I suppose.” The guard made sure his superior still wasn’t looking again and continued. “Okay first off we lost contact with Manehattan about a day ago. Second, we sent a few of our fastest fliers out there hours ago and they haven’t made it back yet. Lastly, before we lost contact with them and...well...there were screams and cries for help.” He frowned and looked away. “Then nothing...” he looked back with tears filling his eyes. “My family lives there and I’m stuck here!” He finished, tears running down his face.

I just stood there as the sentinel broke down in front of me. It was probably best if I got out of there as soon as possible. “Hey buddy, I’m sure they got out of there if things got bad.” I comforted him in a soft and caring tone. “Thanks for the info, but I better leave.” I told the guard and turned to leave.

“Wait, there’s a cottage on the other side of town if you didn’t already know. I suggest going there if you need a place to stay.” The guard said, thanking me with some information.

I waited until I was out of sight and looked up at the beautiful night sky.

“I have a bad feeling about this...”

*** *** ***

I trotted around the outskirts of town after deciding to check the cottage. Not wanting to stay the night out in the cold, I thought it might be a good idea. Now I just needed to find the cottage and everything would be fine. I remembered the first day I moved into town, a certain pink pony literally dragged me around to “make some friends” and we ended up at the cottage meeting some very shy mare who’s name escapes me.“If memory serves, it should be around here somewhere...”

*CRASH*

I jumped from the sudden noise of glass breaking. I looked around frantically to find the source, but all I could see was darkness and shadows. After a few seconds, a cloud let the glow of the moon shine again and there the cottage was just a quick gallop away.

Wasting no time, I ran as fast as I could to the cottage. Upon arrival I looked around only to find a pony standing in front of a broken window. Okay... this was strange. I moved closer slowly, silently observing the raggedy looking pony. I was now close enough to see it was a stallion and he looked hurt, almost decaying, but I figured that was my imagination.

“Hey buddy, you alright?” I asked trying to get his attention.

I was only a few steps away when he turned around. Once it turned around, I simply stood there in shock, staring at...I don’t even know! All I know is that wasn’t a pony! The thing looked as if its face went through a paper shredder. It was missing its right eye and the left eye's iris was covered in a milky white film. It appeared either bleeding itself or had somepony else’s blood on it, because its face was covered with the red liquid. The creatures face was half gone, torn off or worse. Nothing in Equestria could have prepared me for what happened next though. It screamed. Not just any scream, a blood curdling scream that shook me to the bones.

Another Note: I don’t know if I will continue this, so I will base it off the comments. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoyed writing it!
-NukaColaOvrseer

Comments ( 7 )

Lots of Zombie-pony fics popping up lately.

Ohey, another zombie fic. I'm not one of tha only ones anymore.

Not bad, i vote to keep it up.:moustache:

Not bad, i vote to keep it up.:moustache:

I never would have expected this. one question though, are these zombies going to be the slow ones that you simply need to walk to get away, or the type that will run and chase you down? i think it's more exciting when they run personally. just a question.

I liked it. please contunue.

Login or register to comment