• Published 18th Mar 2014
  • 973 Views, 28 Comments

Hush now, quiet now. - stained-glass



Fluttershy sings a lullaby. While whispers haunt her mind about kindness and cruelty. It's better to end it quickly then to suffer, right?

  • ...
5
 28
 973

Incident

It all started at the gala. A tiny little worm of doubt eating away at Fluttershy's heart. Why hadn't she been able to reach those animals? Why had they run from her? Those small things niggled and writhed in her psyche bubbling up now and then. However, Fluttershy was good at pushing it down and not letting it show. After all she was the Element of Kindness, wasn't she?

"Well except for that one time Discord got to you," her traitorous subconscious whispered into her mind.

"No," Fluttershy whispered firmly, "that wasn't me."

She lightly kicked at the ground. "Except that time you were mad with power thanks to Iron Will," again her traitorous psyche whispered to her.

Fluttershy shook her head softly banishing thoughts of rage, of cruelty, and of sadness. She went about feeding her animals one by one. Sure she was used to nature where prey died so that predators may live. Life and death was a primary part of nature, in fact it was a necessity. That didn't mean she liked thinking about it, nor in her own small way contributing to the cycle. She was just trying to be kind to the otters, she wasn't being cruel to Mr. Fish. After all he had a nasty case of scale rot, it was kinder to not let him suffer... Right?

Right.

But that's what bothered her, and sent all these whispers, thoughts, and feelings to bubble up into her mind. What was kind? Was it kind to let someone suffer on the chance they could recover, however slim it was? While doing your best to ease their burden. Or was it better to end it quickly and painlessly? Who's need of a bit of kindness outweighed the other?

Fluttershy paused in her work, and quietly berated herself. These thoughts weren't helpful, and hindered her ability to help all her wonderful animal friends. She was the Element of Kindness, the caretaker of the sick and injured animals, and the director of the Ponyville Pet Center. She had no time for thoughts that troubled her only slightly... Yes, only slightly. In fact they were such silly thoughts. That's why she wouldn't bother her friends with them. They'd just say she was over thinking things, and that being kind was enough.

"Right, back to work," Fluttershy mumbled to herself.

It was there and then that fate and the world decided to make those thoughts become far more prominent in her mind for the coming weeks. Because at that moment huffing and puffing came Spike.

"Fluttershy! Come quick!" he puffed.

"Eep!" went little Fluttershy, jumping up and startled at the sudden entrance.

Spike gasped for breath, "Twilight is sick!"

"Oh no!" Fluttershy gasped and held a hoof over her mouth. She quickly finished her current task and swept Spike up onto her back and rushed off towards the hospital.

Once there she found everyone gathered around a resting Twilight. While the doctor and Celestia talked quietly in the corner.

"How is she?" Fluttershy questioned the Princess.

Celestia sighed, "She's not doing well, they had to sedate her since she was in such great pain. Apparently there is a tumor in Twilight's brain, it's pressing on her horn gland. It's why she has such great power, but apparently it came at a high cost."

The girls gasped quietly while Spike muttered, "I should have known. She was always complaining about headaches, and always drinking soothing tea... Why? Why didn't I know!?" He cried out.

Rarity shushed him, "It's not your fault Spikey-Wikey, you couldn't have known... You aren't a doctor dear."

"But, but! We've read all these medical books!" Spike half shouted and half sobbed out as he clutched Rarity tight.

"H-How long?" Applejack uttered, though she praised honesty this one instance she wasn't sure she could handle it.

"We're not sure," the doctor answered softly, "She's doing well enough now, but the tumor has putting incredible strain on her. I'm surprised she did so well considering. I'd advise a surgery to remove the tumor but... It's so close to her horn, we might have to remove it. Meaning she'd be... Magicless. The other treatment is chemotherapy, where we would flood her body with chemicals to shrink the tumor. This would ensure it'd be easier to remove and less likely for a need to remove her horn. But there will be side effects: loss of appetite, fur and mane loss, weakness, brittle bones, and numerous other issues. I need a decision, which treatment do you want to go forward with? Time is of the essence."