• Published 10th Mar 2014
  • 250 Views, 2 Comments

Love Will Find A Way - NurseryRhyme



Life as a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be, until you meet the stallion of your dreams

  • ...
 2
 250

Prolouge

Life as a pegasus isn't all it's cracked up to be you know. We have to make sure the weather is done right so everypony else can have food. We have to make the rain, the snow, the sleet, (which is super messy by the way) and an abundance of other weather related stuff. Its really not easy. Learning to fly i would say is the hardest thing of all really; timing your flaps, where to position your wings to bank, but learning how to stop is a big one. I’ve always had troubles with that last bit - stopping. It truly is hard. It makes things worse when everypony stares at you already because your coat is the colour of the horizon on a clear winters day and your mane is super long and is the colour of a flame. Being those colours makes everypony do a double take in the first place. So when you come to a crashing stop, often injuring yourself and sometimes others, everypony is already looking at you.

I guess youre wondering whose prattling on and on about how hard it is to be a pegasus aren't you? Well, my name is Icy Leaf, Princess Icy Leaf, and i will be telling my half of this story.

I know what you’re thinking, “thats a really weird name for a princess”, and yeah you’re right. See, when my mother was just older than a filly but not quite a mare, she went to visit the Earth and Unicorn ponies one winter’s day. She was so bemused by the way the snow and ice shimmered in the sunlight that she slipped on a patch of ice. When she looked to see what had befallen her, and there was a bright green leaf, that looked like it was plucked right off the tree at it’s peak freshness, stuck on the ground in the ice. My mother was so mesmerized that she vowed to name her first born girl Icy Leaf, which is how i got my name.

I guess i should also warn you that most of the names in here will probably sound really weird to you because my story is from about five thousand years ago. Long before the rulers you now know Celestia and Luna were ever even thought could exist. In my time, all races of ponies lived separate from each other, having little to no interaction other than to sell any goods. It actually wasn’t as bad as most ponies would think though. You wouldn't be mocked for being the only of one race in a village or stuff like that. Although there was a different system of classes i guess. The King and Queen were obviously at the top, then the guards and such, next were the rich and fancy ponies and last were the ones who had to make all of the weather patterns, really the ponies who actually did something.

I used to love sneaking out and going to visit the ponies in their work places. Watching them concentrate so hard on making sure no two snowflakes are alike, or the rain is the perfect temperature so its not a warm pee-like feeling but also not freezing cold either. Just the hard work and dedication put in by the working class ponies made me so happy. I would often go down and give the workers a week’s worth of muffins from the castle to share with them when things got a little slow. I made lots of friends there, especially this one old mare named Starry Night.

She was the pony I went to when the stress of being a princess became too much at times. I went to her cottage when i could hide from my fathers workers and sneak away. I loved helping her with her knitting or cooking, or just sitting by her fireplace and talking for hours. She also helped me practice my flying. Her house was the perfect place to do it because no pony could ever see me, for she lived far away from the town but close enough to trot back and forth to work, and there was enough open space for me to be able to practice properly, whereas at the castle I only had a tiny little courtyard to practice in.

I never really liked flying either. Both my parents were amazing flyers. They could do the most daring maneuvers in the air and when they would do it together, they looked like they were doing a very complex dance. That’s what actually caught my fathers attention when he first saw my mother. She was challenged by her sisters to do an obstacle course they made for her, and in the middle of it my father was looking out his bedroom window and saw a bright pink pony with a mane that shone like the sun flying around in the sky. He demanded the guards to find out exactly who that pony was and had them bring her to his castle immediately.

My mother always said that once she set hoof in front of my father she could tell he was hooked. Sometimes she would giggle so much that my father would blush and walk out of the room saying that he had something to attend to. It was actually much the same for my mother. Once she saw how handsome he was she instantly fell for him. It was love at first sight.

I’ve always wondered if I will ever find love in this desolate, boring cloud kingdom. But alas, I digress.

My inept ability to fly was what caused my life to completely change one day. Even with all the practice I had with Starry and my personal trainer at the castle I was never able to master the slow-down-and-turn-at-the-same-time thing. This is where our story finally begins and you meet the pony who is going to tell you the other half of this story.