• Published 9th Mar 2014
  • 2,700 Views, 65 Comments

Ends of the Spectrum - SpinelStride



Starswirl's unfinished spell didn't swap marks. It merged destinies with other worlds where things happened differently. In a world where it all went wrong, only ponies from the world where everything went right can help.

  • ...
7
 65
 2,700

Appendix: Art, Notes, Links, etc

Nothing yet!

Author's Note:

This is a placeholder for if/when I have art, links, or other non-story material that I want to include. By creating the chapter up front, I can edit the chapter later to add these without spamming you with 'new chapter' notices. Actual edits will be announced via blog entries instead, but I do want to be able to keep everything in one place. Site policy is not to create new non-story chapters, not to not have them at all, right?

Comments ( 24 )

Cool but very confusing.

Interesting premise, I'm interested to see where this goes. And good luck keeping your characters straight! I imagine I'd write a chapter, then on read-through go "Wait, Rarity is the party pony now, not Pinkie. Ah well, replace all...shoot, that did it for miseryverse Rarity too... and now they're all... and I have to... AAARGGGHHHH!" :raritycry:

Unless... ooo, writing it with "mRarity" and "aRarity" for misery and awesome, then once you're done editing just replace them with plain Rarity. That way you have a non-contextual way of telling which character is which while you're checking things... you probably don't do this, but it's my headcanon for your writing method now. And I'ma stop rambling now. :derpytongue2:

4058340
Nope! Just keep it clear from context which one is which. If I lose track without any more than that, then I couldn't expect my readers to be able to follow along either.

Hope to see more of this story. I like where it's going, and more of the Divided Rainbow 'verses are always welcome.

4842722
There are degrees of awesome :rainbowdetermined2: and degrees of misery :pinkiecrazy:. But at least Luna thinks they can do some good...

4849148
Well, Awesome!Lero is off on a trip with Lyra, and Misery!Lero is extremely busy at work. It's quite possible that neither of them will get much screen time. Or any.

Also, Misery!Lero is not the one who appeared in the dream. The Lero in the dream was from a 'standard' Mane Six, who had succumbed to despair over how poorly everything was going in his efforts to keep them together. The Miseryverse's own Lero has never tried to 'fix' Fluttershy or Rarity because as far as he's concerned, they're perfectly normal - even if they're going through a rough time, and he's working like crazy to support them. So he doesn't have that distance that the 'Swap-fighting' Lero's despair had induced. The Miseryverse and the Awesomeverse are the universes where those 'swaps' really *are* how destiny said it should be. Fashionista Dash isn't swapped - she's loved sharing beauty ever since her first rainboom. And so on.

And, yeah, the Miseryverse was not going so brilliantly even before the Swap brought some temporary chaos to town. Sweet Apple Acres never got wagered on the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy because they were in sufficiently dire financial straits as to have to take the rip-off 70/30 offer in the first place. Rarity's never been able to reproduce the magical surge that got Celestia's attention in the first place, and neither encounter with Trixie went well. Fluttershy's appearance at Best Young Fliers was a complete flop, overshadowed by Dash's rainboom winning Fashionista Dash the prize. And so on. Not everything has been a failure... but they have to cling hard to partial victories there.

4850429

Well, Awesome!Lero is off on a trip with Lyra, and Misery!Lero is extremely busy at work. It's quite possible that neither of them will get much screen time. Or any.

Well, it's your story. Still, whether or not either version of Lero makes a personal appearance, (though I hope he does) it'd still be cool seeing what sort of things Fluttershy The Weatherpony has to say about Lero.

Also, Misery!Lero is not the one who appeared in the dream. The Lero in the dream was from a 'standard' Mane Six, who had succumbed to despair over how poorly everything was going in his efforts to keep them together. The Miseryverse's own Lero has never tried to 'fix' Fluttershy or Rarity because as far as he's concerned, they're perfectly normal - even if they're going through a rough time, and he's working like crazy to support them. So he doesn't have that distance that the 'Swap-fighting' Lero's despair had induced.

Gotcha.

The Miseryverse and the Awesomeverse are the universes where those 'swaps' really *are* how destiny said it should be. Fashionista Dash isn't swapped - she's loved sharing beauty ever since her first rainboom. And so on.

It's enough to make me wonder… remember the 'dream' that Lero described to Rarity in Chapter 10 of Divided Rainbow?

“You know that spell that Twilight’s working on? The unfinished one from Starswirl the Bearded? Well, I dreamt that Twilight cast the spell in front of the Elements of Harmony... and it caused you, Rarity, and all Twilight’s other Element Bearing friends to switch cutie marks. You switched with Applejack. Applejack switched with Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie switched with Fluttershy. Fluttershy switched with Rainbow Dash. And Rainbow Dash switched with you. And when this happened, Rarity, you all exchanged each other’s roles in life.”

“Huh?”

And Lero confessed nearly everything to her; though his tale was heavily and carefully modified. Couched in the context of a dream, with all the names switched, since the bewitchment wouldn’t allow for the bald truth. In Lero’s story, Rarity was the dressmaker who couldn’t make a dress. Fluttershy was the animal caretaker unable to take proper care of her animals, and Rainbow Dash was... well, Rarity.

Suppose, somewhere in the multiverse, there exists a world where this IS the case, and everything's a complete inversion of what's seen in Divided Rainbow? Well… I'd imagine that the Swapped Verse-Lero would probably have fallen in love with Rainbow Dash the Weatherpony just like DR-Lero fell for Rarity the Weatherpony, and then he'd have bent over backwards trying to help Rarity the Fashionista while winning her heart. It's a comforting notion; the idea that the Original Five and the Swapped Five have merely exchanged places, and that even though this isn't their 'real' families, they're all still being cared for and loved.

And, yeah, the Miseryverse was not going so brilliantly even before the Swap brought some temporary chaos to town. Sweet Apple Acres never got wagered on the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy because they were in sufficiently dire financial straits as to have to take the rip-off 70/30 offer in the first place. Rarity's never been able to reproduce the magical surge that got Celestia's attention in the first place, and neither encounter with Trixie went well. Fluttershy's appearance at Best Young Fliers was a complete flop, overshadowed by Dash's rainboom winning Fashionista Dash the prize. And so on. Not everything has been a failure... but they have to cling hard to partial victories there.

That's an intriguing divergence; that the natives of the Miseryville just haven't known as much success in general, even before the unfinished spell came along into their lives. Certainly it'll make for interesting world building, through and through! Can't wait to see more chapters!

4857285
It's repetition there rather than rhyming - notice the other verses repeated 'me' and 'you' the same way?

4858304
Nope - on vacation, writing it out as I go. I'll probably do another chapter tomorrow, maybe two.

Interesting... It looks like the Miseryverse had problems far worse than "failure heros". It'll be interesting to see how two sets of them handle it. No wonder Luna said they needed help.

On another note, while it's clearly not their story, seeing how Lero and Mac respond to the situation would be interesting and nice- while the heroics are clearly outside of the scope of their characters, this is their wives coming out of self-destructive spirals, so seeing their actions and reactions would be nice. (and rather heartfelt, as Lyra's was.)

Oddball thought: Rainbow the Mage resolved her version of the swap, or equivalent, yes? So, why isn't she an Alicorn?

4865715
They didn't complete the spell. They realized that they swapped in pairs - Dash/Twi, AJ/Fluttershy, Pinkie/Rarity. So they lined up so each pair was wearing both Elements at once (on their forelegs) and just used those.

4863336

Well, more specifically, a Scootaloo who never met her best friends, never had anyone to look up to, was he primary target of Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara's torment with no one to back her, as well as all the implied tragedy of her missing parents and impaired wings... Given a taste of Discords power.

So yeah.

Wow, that was a ride! I'm glad to see this done, and it was a fun ride, but I'll toss in some c&c quickly while on my lunch break.

First, this comes off a bit rushed, ultimately, situations a brought up and resolved rapid-fire, when more impact might have resulted if more time had been taken, and certain elements come off as confusing because they're glossed over or dropped suddenly.

Of-the-head examples: the emotional impact of the visions of seeing Big Mac and Silver Spoon being attacked by the vines is limited, since very little time is set up establishing those relationships.

Discord essentially vanishes after his scene in the vines.

How Scootaloo transitioned from an angry filly with a touch of Discords power to the manifestation of nightmares is never explained.

Much of the final chapter comes off as "tell, not show." As a few lines inform us of what happens, rather than a scene showing it.

Ultimately, it's an enjoyable romp, but comes off as a outline for a more detailed story.

4871446
On the show, when they've got the Elements out and ready to go, they don't tend to waste much time rainbow-blasting the villain and heading for their celebration. It's all about overcoming the obstacles to get to that point. Even when it's not the Elements, usually the story is more a matter of 'figure out what to do' rather than 'do it.'

Except when Twilight had her Boss Fight with Tirek, but that was because All The Alicorn Power Put Together was a red herring and the REAL episode-winning power was up ahead.

4873336
I thought it was pretty clear they weren't dead, when the Misery Six broke out of the despair and were not actually maimed and mangled as they'd experienced (and didn't have corpses of Big Mac, Silver Spoon, and Apple Bloom around). Pinkamena didn't get her spirit drained in front of Discord, even though he saw that. They were having their souls sucked out of them, but the vines didn't finish before the new Tree of Harmony sprouted.

5428393 :pinkiecrazy: or :trollestia: - the least-innocent ones available!

5428915
There's a preceding fic, Xenophilia, that set up some sociological elements I found useful, including herd structures. Rainbow and Twilight were shipped in that story (along with Lyra and a human OC, not appearing in this story), so they're still shipped here.

Besides, egghead + jock goes so well together. ;-)

5437956

Each member of robot SG-1 dies helping their flesh and blood counterpart get past obstacles to get to their goal.

5438136 Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Fuck do I ever love multiversal shenanigans. You have my approval and my fave.

Any recommendations for other cross-universe fun fics?

6874592 The Time Loops series certainly has a lot of those!

6880630
Goddammit, there goes several weeks and counting of my time.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Login or register to comment