• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 1,686 Views, 19 Comments

A Stallion with a Question - Ugly-Duckling123



Five years after the storm, and the wolves.... Big Macintosh is thinking on asking Fluttershy a little question....

  • ...
20
 19
 1,686

Chap 2

At the hospital, Applejack carried Bloom inside and told Nurse Redheart what happened.

After a few x-rays and more questions later, Apple Bloom was told that she did have a broken leg.

"How... How long will it take to get better?" Apple Bloom asked holding her jeans up so the doctor could put a cast on her leg.

"Well it's a very small break," he said cheerfully "But it will still take up to four weeks. But hay at least you'll be the top girl in school..."

After the papers were signed, and Apple Bloom was given hospital crutches, the two sisters were back in the truck and on their way home.

"Awe come on sis," Applejack said. "I tell you what when we get home, you can have all the ice-cream you want ok?"

"What if something happens to Honey when my legs broken?" Apple Bloom said looking out the window. "What if she runs away again because she's not got me to play with."

"Ok first, she did not run away. The doors were not shut probably and being a curious new born filly like she was, she wanted to see what was outside the barn." Applejack said remembering back five years ago when Honey decided to take a little moonlight walk through the woods. "Secondly she's a big girl now, she can take care of herself, and if she can't then me and Mac will be there to help."

"But..." Apple Bloom said.

"It will be ok Sugarcube," Applejack said stopping at the traffic lights. "I promise as a big sister we'll keep her safe until you get back to her."

"And a Sister's Promise can't be broken," Apple Bloom said smiling for the first time since that morning.


When they got back, as promised, Applejack gave her sister some ice-cream, and being the caring sister she was, called Apple Bloom's friends over to keep her company.

Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Diamond Tiara all came over to see if Apple Bloom was alright and try and make her better.

"So how long till your leg's fixed Bloom?" Scootaloo asked signing the cast happily.

"They said up to four weeks," Apple Bloom answered digging into her third pot of ice-cream.

"Do you believe Mac when he said it happened to him and AJ too?" Sweetie Belle asked over at Apple Bloom's desk making her a 'Get Well Soon' card.

"I don't know," Apple Bloom said looking over to her artistic friend "But seeing how they reacted with each other, I think so."

"How are you going to come on the field trip to Canterlot with us if your legs broken Apple Bloom?" Diamond Tiara asked brushing Apple Bloom's hair making everyone stop what they were doing.

"What do you mean Tiara?" Apple Bloom said spoon shaking in her hand.

"Well you said that the doctor said your leg would be better in four weeks right?" Diamond Tiara began.

"Yes..."

"Well, the field trip's in three weeks."

Eyes widening Apple Bloom got to the edge of her bed and reached for the crutches.

"Er... Where are you going Apple Bloom?" Scootaloo asked helping her friend get up.

"To find my sister, to ask her that question," Apple Bloom said hoppleing out of her room, carefully going down the stairs.

*

In the kitchen Applejack was baking that evening's apple pie when Apple Bloom came in.

"Apple Bloom," Applejack said "What are you doing down here? You're supposed to be resting."

"Tiara asked a question I need an answer to sis," Apple Bloom said making her way over to the table.

"Well ok..." Applejack said raising an eyebrow.

"Sis... How am I going to go on that field trip to Canterlot, in three weeks, if my legs broken for four weeks?"

"Er..." Applejack said half expecting that question but had not come up with an answer for it yet. "I hate telling you Sugarcube... But you won't be going."

"Wha... What do you mean?" Apple Bloom asked neither sister seeing Bloom's friends at the door.

"Well, field trips to Canterlot, normally have lots of walking in them," Applejack said "And there are lots of people in Canterlot, so you'd need to stay with the teacher and the group. And with your leg broken, I... I just don't think that's a good idea."

Without anything else to be said, or they could think of saying, Apple Bloom slowly made it back to her room locking her door and went to lay on her bed.

Applejack returned to her baking, disappointed in herself that she made her sister upset.


The next day Fluttershy came over to do her six month check-up on the horses.

"Howdy Fluttershy," Applejack said seeing her come up the path.

"Oh um hey Applejack." Fluttershy said smiling.

"They're all in the barn if you want to get started," Applejack said walking her friend over to the barn they kept the horses in.

"I'm sure they'll all be fine," Fluttershy said as they got there.

"Yeah. Oh I forgot to tell you," Applejack said as they walked in. "Apple Bloom and Honey had their first riding lesson yesterday." she said going over to Honey Crisp.

"Oh, I hope Apple Bloom's ok," Fluttershy said starting on Appleseed's hooves.

"What you mean?" Applejack asked.

"Oh... Um... Mac may have told me your family have some more er... traditions than finding 'opposites'," Fluttershy said not sure how to put it, listening to Appleseed's chest.

"Ohhh... I'm going to teach him a lesson," Applejack said a bit annoyed that her friend was being told things that, in her opinion didn't need to be told, by her brother. "What he say?"

"When a Apple has their first riding lesson, they pull too hard on the reins and get thrown off the horse, and um... usually break something." Fluttershy said turning to Appleseed's teeth.

"Yeah well it happened that way then. She's got a broken leg, and will be in a cast for four weeks." Applejack said telling the story."Bit sad by it too since it means she can't go on that field trip of hers to Canterlot."

"Oh, my," Fluttershy said now moving over to Nutmeg.

"Yeah," Applejack said sitting down on the straw bench watching Fluttershy do her work. "So... Got things planed for my brother next week?"

"Er..."

"Hey Applejack, I'd need some help with the trees if your free," Mac had just walked into the barn ears turning a bit pink and smiling, when he saw Fluttershy. "Hey, Shy."

All the sudden Honey Crisp began rearing up and prancing around her stall moving her head from Mac and Fluttershy.

Worried that she'd give something away Mac quickly went over to calm her down.

"Wonder what that was for..." Applejack said getting up so she could go help Mac.

"Probably because she doesn't see me that often." Mac said hoping the girls would go for it.

"I think that was an excited show, rather than a scared one," Fluttershy said going over to see if Honey was fine for the check up. But when she got there, it seemed that Honey wouldn't corroborate.

First she kept pulling her hooves out of Fluttershy's hands, then when Fluttershy was listening to her chest she would run away from the stethoscope, and then Applejack and Fluttershy spent five minutes trying to catch her so Fluttershy could check her teeth.

"She's never been like this before," Applejack said resting on the fence posts panting a bit, Honey still playing around.

"Why don't you try your song Fluttershy?" Mac asked trying not to laugh as he groomed Appleseed.

"That only works if their scared," Fluttershy said unsure of what to do. "Did something happen yesterday other than her throwing Bloom."

At those words Honey stopped playing around and bowed her head in guilt, getting down on the floor.

Seeing the change in emotion, Fluttershy quickly went over to the filly. "Oh, I'm sure it was an accident Honey," she said patting her gently.

"Well I was taking Bloom to the hospital," Applejack said "So you'd need to ask Mac."

The girls turned their eyes on Macintosh who quickly put down Appleseed's brush and said, "So how about those tree's AJ?" and walked out, a bit too fast, thought Applejack.

"Big Macintosh Apple you come back here right now!" Applejack said running after him.

After they left Fluttershy decided to sing an old almost lost to memory song to Honey to try and cheer her up a bit.

*Don't worry, my baby
You have nothing to fear
I promise I'll protect you
And I will always be here -
- just for you.

I love you my child
And hope you can see
That you can always -
- count on me

You can trust in me
And I hope that I you
So that I will have
Nothing to fear too.*

But Fluttershy realized when she was finished, that instead of cheering the filly up, she had fallen asleep.

"Humph, goodnight then Honey." Fluttershy said carefully getting up, collecting her things, saying goodbye to Nutmeg and Appleseed, and went out to find Applejack and Big Mac.


Outside, Applejack had caught up with Mac.

"Now you tell me brother," Applejack said looking into his eyes "What happened in that barn after I took Bloom to the hospital?"

Mac sighed, knowing he would have to tell his sister at some point.

"Well Honey seemed down, so I decided to tell her what I had planned for Fluttershy next week." he said rubbing the back of his neck.

"And that is?" Applejack asked.

At that moment Fluttershy could be seen coming up to them.

"Get me one of her rings sis and I'll tell you," he said slipping away when Applejack was confused with the request.

"What do you need one of her..."

"Um Applejack," Fluttershy said coming up "They all seem fine, but I'd like some catch-ups on Honey just in case her mood swings are something to worry about."

"Oh ok," Applejack said. "You want a ride back home?" she asked walking her friend to the gates.

"If you don't mind taking me," Fluttershy said smiling. "Thank you Applejack."

Author's Note:

In case you're having trouble finding a tune to Fluttershy's song to Honey Crisp, I had The Prince of Egypt on the brain, and went with Deliver Us when Moses was being sent off.