• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 728 Views, 11 Comments

Bar Scene - maxxxxxx



Applejack is one unhappy farm pony. So what is a mare to do? Get drunk at the local pub of course!

  • ...
6
 11
 728

Bar Therapy

Applejack trotted down the lonely night time streets of Ponyville. She felt tempted to bring her speed to a gallop, not wishing to prolong her time alone with her thought's. Rainbow and Twilight are really having a rough time since they got together, especially lately. They seemed pretty happy when they first got together, but it was all down hill from there. I know it's not what either of them wanted but I think those two should end it with each other. Well, I don't think I'm in much of a position to be judging their love life. Uhg, It's always the walk there that's the worst part, even worse than the hangover I hope I have in the morning. Suddenly her eyes swiveled, following a soft melodic sound. Looking up form the ground she quickly found the source of the music.

“Finally made it. Time to get my drink on.” With an excited smile she stopped in front of an inconspicuous wooden door. Calming jazz music emanated from within. Putting her hoof to the door it creaked open and a small bell jingled. The air from inside flowed out through the door carrying with it the familiar nostalgic smells of good ciders, meads and beers. Stepping inside, she felt instantly at home in the cozy laid back atmosphere. Hoof crafted wooden tables were placed spaciously throughout the tavern. At the opposing end from the entrance was the bar with the bartender polishing up a glass mug. Looking up at the sound of the bell a smile spread across his gruff face.

“Applejack! Been a while! How ya been?” He spoke amiably motioning for her to take a seat, to which she happily obliged.

“I've seen better days Malt, I've seen better days.” She said halfheartedly as she make her way to the bar counter.

“Well have a seat! Let's see if I can't make it a little better.” He grinned. He was an older but well muscled stallion. He had graying beard and mane with hints of it's original dark brown but his coat maintained it's strong light brown color. He'd been running the local Ponyville tavern since before Applejack was born.

“That's what I'm here for.” She smiled, her mood already brightening. “It's pretty quiet here for a Saturday night. What gives?” She looked around the all but empty bar, only two other patrons were present. A stallion even more along in years than old Malt reading a paper and a middle aged stallion who looked to be drinking his stress away. I think I can make a guess why this place is empty as Granny Smith's gums. She thought bitterly.

“Yeah, business has been a bit slow, especially tonight. That new club they opened up, It's pretty popular. I don't know why Mayor Mare decided to approve the thing, a few of us small shop owners tried to petition against it, but well, you know how that turned out. If I turned the music off, you can hear that damn obnoxious music all the way over here. But enough about my problems, let's get you a drink. What'll it be?”

“I'll have my Usual. Zapp's Apple Ale!”

“Sure thing! Coming right up!”

“Thank ya kindly Malt, I've been look forward to this all day.” All day today, all day yesterday... It's been so long but I always get like this, every year. Every year I do this alone. As much as I love this place, part of me really wanted to stay with Rainbow just so I would have somepony with me. Ah well, once the drinks start going down my worries will just fade away.

“Here ya go! A fresh cold one.” Malt smiled as he placed a glass bottle filled with a light amber liquid on the counter in front of her along with a large chilled glass mug. Just the way I like it. Couldn't it like this at the eye sore they call a club!

“Thanks!” She said cheerfully as she took the glass in her hoof and poured it's contents into the mug. It visibly fizzed as it poured and the dull but sweet scent of apples wafted through air to her nose, filling her mind with euphoric nostalgia.

“You know, that was one of your father's favorites to. He specially selected the apples from your orchard for me to brew into it. Only the finest ones would do. He was a smart stallion, kept Sweet Apple Acres running in some of it's worst days. I remember this one time before you were born he-” Malt was abruptly cut off by the now vacant bottle being slammed onto the counter. He looked apprehensively at Applejack who's head was bowed, her hat and mane obscuring her face from sight. A both sad and angry air surrounded her as she sat silent and motionless.

“Aj, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said all that.” He said with a voice full of sympathy. Applejack raised her head, but instead her concerned friend, she brought her gaze to the cold mug of untouched drink. In one swift motion she swooped it up and brought it to her lips, downing the ale as though it were water and she was stranded in a desert. It was a strong tasting drink, the smooth and gentle sweetness of the apples was quickly followed by the bitter kick of the alcohol, but the flavors complemented rather than conflicted leading to a satisfying and thirst quenching first drink of her long night. Without coming up for air, she downed the drink and slammed the mug down with gusto and an extremely satisfied breath.

“Don't worry, I know you and my Pa were close friends. Granny Smith told me some of the stories. I guess you'll be there to tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I'll be there. Haven't once missed a year. What about you? After what happened last year will you be okay?”

“I'll be fine.” She spoke in almost an irritated growl. “Can't anypony just let that go?”

“Hey, I've seen it all in my time, you'll get no judgment from me. How ponies handle this sort of thing is up to them.” His disarming tone and demeanor calmed the frustrated Applejack who gave a sigh before she lightly smiled back at him.

“You're right, I know you don't judge. That's one of the things I love about drinking here, I can always talk to you about anything.”

“Well, I always say, my job is one half bartender and the other half therapist. Giving a good drink and being a good listener is what's kept me in business all these years.” He laughed jovially, and Aj laughed right along with him.

Suddenly, raucous and obnoxious laughter overwhelmed the soothing music as the door creaked open and the bell sounded. Applejack turned her head and, from the corner of her eye, saw a group of five young stallions. They loudly laughed stumbled around as they took up a table nearest the entrance.

Most of them look like they're already drunk off their asses, and their so damn loud. I hope they don't intend on sticking around too long. I wanna drink in peace damn it! She thought to herself begrudgingly.

“Shit, not more of them.” Malt said quietly but forebodingly.

“More of who?” She inquired, glancing back at the newly arrived patrons.

“Ever since that Celestia damn club opened up I've been getting these colts what can barely handle their drink calling themselves stallions coming in and scaring away my loyal customers. That's why we're so empty tonight. A few of them came by earlier the punks tried to skip out on their bill.”

“What! Well if these cunts cause any trouble here I'll kick their asses so hard they'll be shitt'n horseshoes!”

“Well for now their valuable costumers. If it comes down to it don't worry, I know their type, their pussies, I may be old but I can still run some snot nosed punks out of my bar. You've got enough to worry about.”

“Hey old timer! Ya gonna get us some drinks or what!” One stallion with a light grey coat and dark blue mane called out, eliciting stupid laughs from his buddies. Malt shook his head is exasperation.

“Bordeaux! We've got customers!” He called out towards a small entrance leading to the back of the bar where the kitchen and cellar are. A loud metallic crashing sound echoes from the kitchen, ringing out throughout the bar, drawing everypony's attention. Even the rowdy new arrivals stopped and turned towards the source of the noise.

“S-sorry! Nothing's broken!” A high but dulcet mares voice called back followed by another metallic ruckus. After a long moment an out of breath young mare stepped out from the threshold behind the counter. She was wearing an apron and a white waitress dress that hung nearly to her knees in the back. She had a braided up mane the color of a dark red wine and her coat was a light blonde.

“Sorry, I dropped a sauce pan but nothing broke and I put it in the sink and-”Her rapid fire explanation was cut short as Malt interjected.

“Bordeaux, we have customers. You can tell me about it later.” His exasperated tone was growing ever thicker.

“R-right! Sorry! I'll go take their order.” Nervously, she walked around from behind the counter and slowly made her way to the waiting table, presumably building her nerve. Turning back to Malt, Applejack raised and eyebrow.

“She new?”

“Yeah, She's my new apprentice.” She sighed, keeping one eye on her the entire time.

“You got a new appreciate?” Applejack as well glanced over to Bordeaux who was just reaching the table. “And that's her?” She said dubiously.

“She's a prodigy when it comes to brewing and mixing, a pretty good cook too. I'm getting on in my years and with my son off in Manehattan running a music studio and my grandson enlisted in the royal guard, I need someone to take over the business when I'm gone. She's smart and got a good mind for business, but she's a terrible klutz and sucks when it comes to interacting with ponies. I'm training her best I can, but she's missing out on half the skills needed for this job.”

“H-heeey shweet heart!” One of the drunk stallions slurred as he took Bordeaux's hoof in his. “Why, why don't take a drink with ush! T-then come back to my plash and get really hammered, if you got what I mean!” He chortled, banging his hoof against the table for emphasis as Bordeaux looked looked pleadingly at Malt.

“Malt, go ahead and get me some whiskey, straight up. This is gonna be a long night.” She said dejected as she rubbed her temple in an attempt to lower her growing stress.

“Yeah, you got it.” He placed a shot glass in front of her and poured the drink into the cup, Applejack could smell the powerful scent of alcohol. I'd usually like to wait a bit longer before hittin' harder stuff, get a bit more light drinking in, but buck it, I can't stand assholes like them. She reached for her drink the moment Malt had finished pouring it. As she slammed it back, the cup barely making contact with her lips. She felt a satisfying burn as it flowed passed her tongue and down her throat settling in to a pleasant warming sensation spreading through her chest and into her stomach. Breathing a content sigh she gently placed the glass down. Now that's what I'm talk'n bout! Few more of those an' I'll be ready for some real drinking! A smile began to spread across her face, but was brought to an abrupt end when the bell again rang from the entrance.

Shit, and I was just start'n to get back into a decent mood! I'll wager it's one of them rowdy folks from the bucking club! She thought to herself as she turned to confirm her concerns. She nearly fell off her bar stool as she stared dumbfounded at the pony who stood at the in front of the door, sheepishly looking at the floor.

“Fluttershy?!'

Comments ( 4 )

is this going to end the same way club scene ended ?

4386135 maybe, maybe not. :raritywink:

i guess well just have to wait and find out

Can we please get a follow up??? :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment