• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 3,758 Views, 26 Comments

Pinkie's Fear - Quaver Ava



After Fluttershy loses her temper with Pinkie Pie and threatens not to be her friend anymore, the mare goes into a state of withdrawal and fear, struggling to change herself to be a better pony.

  • ...
1
 26
 3,758

Rejection

Rejection

Pinkie Pie walked up to the cottage with a bit of nervousness in her gut. She felt light headed and slightly scared. With a weak smile she lifted a hoof and tapped once, twice, three times. There was a startled sound from the other side of the door before it went quiet. Pinkie looked around her at the birds that sang up in the branches. It was a beautiful day with the potential to hold a lot of smiles. Perhaps once she was done here she’d throw a small party for her and Fluttershy. An apology party, yeah. Or would it be a forgiveness party? Oh, she knew it wouldn’t be a real party, but the word party was so fun to think about! It’d just be them, enjoying each other’s company. Fluttershy was like... the master at relaxing ‘parties.’ A nervous giggle escaped her as she thought of that.

The door creaked open as a pair of blue eyes appeared. They blinked once before the door opened all the way. “Yes Pinkie?” Fluttershy asked with all the seriousness in the world.

She winced a little at the deadpanned expression on the pegasus. She knew her friend was still a little upset at her, but it still dug deep just seeing it. “Hey Fluttershy, can please I come in?” she asked really super-duper nice like. She even said please. It was hard not to throw herself onto the ground at her hooves and just suddenly beg for forgiveness. But Twilight told her that probably wouldn’t help… actually, it’d make things worse. If she was going to do this, she had to do it as sincerely as possible. Sometimes that was hard for her to do...

“No.” Fluttershy said, staying in the doorway.

“O-okie dokie.” The pink pony said nervously. She was taken by surprise, but her friend was upset at her so it was understandable; right? “Well… I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for being so rude the other day. I, I had a little too much sugar and sometimes I forget-.”

“Pinkie Pie, are you saying that you had too much sugar all day long?”

“I mean, I was excited for you! And I thought it’d be funny-“

“You thought it’d be funny?” The pegasus growled, grinding her teeth slightly.

“Yeah, ya know. Laugh at your fears and stuff. That’s what I do, I laugh at my fears. I laugh at them when I think about them, and they’re not so scary anymore!” Pinkie said triumphantly. She grinned at her friend, feeling satisfied with her chosen words. It felt like it was the best explanation for how she was. “I was laughing at your fears, and ya was supposed to laugh with me, see? Well, I mean, I was supposed to be laughing with you, but you weren’t laughing and-”

“But I didn’t. You made me cry.” Fluttershy said her breathing increasing. Pinkie Pie then realized that maybe her friend was just a little more than angry with her. OK, more like super-duper angry with what she said next. “How about I laugh at something you’re scared of huh?” She slowly walked out from her home, making a circle around her pink pony. “Haha.” she laughed with a dead tone. It wasn’t humorous at all, it was mean and insensitive. What was she even trying to laugh at? She shouldn’t have jinxed herself, Pinkie thought. “Haha. Pinkie Pie the Party Pony, friends with everyone in Ponyville. Haha.”

“Fluttershy… You’re scaring me.” she whimpered, scared by this mean side of her friend. She’d seen it a few times before, and it never ended well. A memory came to her of Fluttershy explaining one of the reasons why she was so shy. It was because when she got angry, she got very angry. So if she wasn’t around other ponies, there would be no chance of her losing her temper. Right now Fluttershy was more than just angry. It was too late for Pinkie to back away. She should have let her friend be alone for a few days. Still she tried. “I’m just going to-.”

“Well not anymore.” The pegasus continued, glaring at her. “You’re not friends with everyone in ponyville, because as of right now we are no longer friends. Hahaha!” The words hit her like a bag of rocks into her face. She had that happen one time as a foal on her old rock farm, it hurt.

Pinkie was shocked. Her world turned around on itself and flipped upside down. Next she imagined herself as a grand wedding cake, falling to the floor. “Y-you don’t mean that.” she tried, tears brimming at her eyes. Of course she didn’t mean that. She was just letting herself say things she didn’t mean. Fluttershy would feel sorry later, right?

Fluttershy’s eyes softened as she put a wing around Pinkie’s shoulder’s. The pink pony looked at her scared and nervous. “Oh Pinkie, of course I don’t mean that. But isn’t it scary to even hear someone say that? I know you of all ponies is just terrified of losing her friends… just like I’m scared of being in front of a lot of ponies.” she said softly smiling. Pinkie looked at her with a nervous smile of her own, still very unsure of what to say or do. “See, there it’s OK. I accept your apology.”

Brightening up Pinkie slowly grinned at her. “Really? You mean it?”

“Pinkie Promise.” Fluttershy grinned, tilting her head towards the naive pony.

“Oh Fluttershy, I’m so glad-.” Pinkie started, standing on her back hooves and reaching out to give her friend a hug. It was there that the other mare walked away, letting Pinkie drop back down to the ground on all fours. “Huh?” she was so confused, if she accepted her apology where was her make-up hug? Fluttershy had walked back into her doorway now, hoof on the edge of the door.

“Pinkie Pie, I love you dearly as one of my best friends. But please, I am so furious at you right now that I must ask you to go.” Fluttershy made to close the door, but the horrified expression on Pinkie’s face stopped her halfway. “I accept your apology, but I’m not happy. Just… Leave me alone.” It was here that her friend fell into a panicked frenzy as she knew she would. Pinkie simply didn’t understand sometimes.

“I-I can throw you a party!”

“I don’t want a party, Pinkie.”

“I’ll bake something for you!”

“I don’t want anything baked from you.”

“What can I do to make you happy?”

“Pinkie, I don’t want you to do anything. I want you to leave me alone until I’m not this angry anymore. And if you try anything… I-I really won’t be your friend.” Fluttershy stared at the pink pony with an emotionless expression. Her small stutter was the only indication to the turmoil of feelings running inside of her. “I mean it. If sugar and trying to be funny makes you act insensitive and hurt other ponies like that, than I don’t want you as a friend. Now please leave before I ask Mr. Bear to kindly take you back to Ponyville.”

“But-.” Pinkie whined as the door shut in her face. She stayed outside, staring in disbelief at what had just transpired. She came here to apologize; now she was losing a friend? Words trapped in her throat. She wanted to talk through the door, say the right things to fix this. Her mind went into a chaotic frenzy, like a party getting out of control. Everything was slipping from her hooves suddenly. Tears came to her eyes as she struggled to think of the right words. She had lost a friend before, it was the worst feeling ever. Now she was presented with losing a best friend!

“Mr. Bear, please help Pinkie find her way.” Fluttershy’s voice echoed within the cottage. Not waiting for the bear, whom she knew wouldn’t harm her; Pinkie sprinted away from her friend’s home. Wait, was she still her friend? She was still her friend. Yes, she was still her friend. But she was gonna lose her friend. She ran so fast her mane straightened out into the wind, everything turning into a blur as tears clouded her vision. Fluttershy was so angry with her she didn’t want to be friends anymore. She’d run home and lock herself in her room to cry. And then she’d cry some more, and cry until there were no more tears to cry.

Ponies called out to her as she ran past them, friends whom she thought cared for her. No, she didn’t want to talk or be with anyone else at that moment. She just wanted to hide so she wouldn’t hurt anyone else or make anyone angry. She had hurt her friend. She had made her so angry that Fluttershy was threatening not to be her friend. Would friends threaten to not be your friends? If Fluttershy, the kindest pony in the world didn’t want her around, surely no one else did either.

She couldn’t just go home so someone could find her. No, she needed to get away to think about this. She needed to think this out. But she also needed to cry by herself and alone. Each pair of eyes that saw her crying struck a blow to her heart. Each concerned call ripped deeper into her. No one wanted to be her friend. They didn’t really like her… They hated her. All of them hated her. The world hated her. Panicked fear seized her heart like a vise grip, not letting go. She didn’t want it to go either. She wanted to be alone, away from everyone and everything that hated her. Be away from Fluttershy whom hated her.

One place came to mind. She knew where she needed to go. It was a perfect place for thinking. The one place she knew so well not even her so called friends could find her; it was also a beautiful place, a calming and peaceful place. She sobbed as her heart yearned to be there, her hooves hitting the ground even faster. Closing her eyes she hopped, skipped, and jumped through the air. There was a loud cracking sound before she disappeared.

She was there, in her place all her own.