• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 2,427 Views, 87 Comments

Have you seen my Mommy? - RainbowShyBrony



Scootaloo travles across Equestria with Princess Twilight Sparkle in search of her long lost mother, who may be closer to them than they think.

  • ...
4
 87
 2,427

Chapter 2

"Woah. The castle's a lot bigger up close." A young Scootaloo stared up at the towering castle of Equestria in Canterlot.

Both Princess Twilight and Scootaloo had gone straight to the castle as soon as their train pulled into the station. It was something Twilight decided on so that they did not waste a moment of sunlight. She wanted to help Scootaloo find her mother as soon as possible... Well, at least before mother's day ended but something told her that it would take longer than she thought it would.

None the less she looked over at Scootaloo, smiled and lead her into the building. "Yeah. First time I came here I said the same thing."

They walked through the doors and were pleased and surprised to find Shining Armor, Prince and captain of the royal guards, not to mention Twilight's brother, standing there seemingly looking at some stained glasswork. When he had heard the doors open, he turned his head and noticed that his sister had just arrived. "Twily! What brings you here?" He trotted over to his sister and gave her a brotherly hug. When he pulled away he noticed Scootaloo standing next to Twilight looking up at him. A sinister grin crossed Shining's neck. "Well, Twily. You complain about me not telling you when I'm getting married but then you go and have a foal without telling me?! Where is the trust in our family?"

This caught Twilight off-guard as she panicked to set her brother straight. "Wait! Shining... No! I didn't... She's not..." She stopped when she noticed that Shining Armor was laughing.

"I-I'm just messing with you Twily." He managed between what had calmed down to chuckles.

"Shining!" Twilight whined.

"Twilight!" Shining mocked. "So, who's this little friend of your's?" He asked out of actual curiosity.

Twilight let out a quick huff before calming down some more and saying, "Well, this here is Scootaloo."

"Why hello there Scootaloo! What brings you to Canterlot?"

Scootaloo as the spunky filly she is answered, "We're here to find my mommy!" Then a single question came to Scootaloo's mind. "Have you seen my mommy?"

"Uh. Sorry, no. I don't even know who she is. If you told me her name then I could probably help you find her." Shining replied with concern.

This stopped Scootaloo right in her tracks as she bent her head over in unadmitted defeat. After a few second a few soft sobs were heard coming from the filly.

Twilight decided to take over and answered Shining's for Scootaloo in a soft whisper. "This is why I brought her here. She's an orphan at the Ponyville orphanage. She was given a letter written by her mother seven years ago that said that she still loved her and not she wants to find her mother."

"Twily, that's not the best thing to do." He answered back.

"I know but it's the only thing to do right now." She looke over to Scootaloo and noticed a couple of tears fall on the floor. "I really think she needs this, Shining."

"Alright, Twily, just be careful about this." He rose his voice back up to how it normally sounded. "Hey, Scootaloo, how would you like a ride on my back to the record room." Twilight shot a look at her brother that said 'Great idea Shinig! That's perfect!'

Scootaloo sniffled one more time before she used her hoof to wipe her face dry before she looked back up to Shining Armor. "O... Okay."

With that said, Shining Armor kneeled down to let Scootaloo climb up onto his back before he got up and lead the way to the record room through the halls of the castle.

It was quiet for the first few minutes but then Twilight noticed something. "Hey, Shinig, what are you doing here anyways? Shouldn't you be at the Crystal Empire with Cadence?"

Shining Armor took a quick glance at Scootaloo before answering, "Well, yes but I had some things to take care of here in Canterlot."

"Really? What kind of things?"

Shining armor cleared his throat and gestured to Scootaloo. "It's just some personal matters."

"Oh... OOH...!" Twilight said once she figured out what her brother meant.

"Right." Shining then moved his attention over to Scootaloo who had calmed down enough to pick her head up. "So Scootaloo, you have any good friends back in Ponyville?"

"Huh?" Said Scootaloo caught off-guard. "Oh, y-yeah. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. We're all members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders!"

"The Cutie-Mark Crusaders? Why does that sound so familiar?" Shining Armor pondered this question for a moment before it hit him. "Oh! I knew you looked familiar! You and your friends were the flower girls at my wedding!"

"Oh yeah!" Exclaimed Scootaloo. "It's to bad we didn't get our cutie-marks in being flower girls. That was actually kinda fun."

A sly grin crossed Shining Armor's face as he devilishly looked at his sister. "Well I'm sure Twily won't mind you being the flower girl for her wedding. By the way," he turned his attention to his sister. "I forgot. Did you say your wedding was tomorrow or next week?"

"Oh yeah. Sure Scootaloo could be the... Wait. WHAT?!" That's when Twilight realized what her brother had said. "What do you me my wedding's tomorrow?! I didn't even know I was getting married! Is this some part of the princess inauguration process? I didn't sign up to get married!" Then Twilight had noticed something. Her brother and Scootaloo were laughing. Why were they laughing at her at a time like this?! This wasn't funny. Then she realized that there was only one reason that her brother would be laughing. "Oh, you annoying jerk!"

Shining Armor took a break from laughing to say, "You're the one that fell for it." Then he continued laughing and ran ahead of Twilight, Scootaloo clinging onto his back.

Twilight stammered. "But... Uh... Huh? ...Hey! Wait! Get back here!" Twilight chased after he brother and Scootaloo who couldn't contain their laughter as they made their getaway.

They ran through many hallways attracting a lot of attention but eventually Shining caught sight of the door to the records and made his final sprint towards the door.

Once he entered the room, he quickly hid behind a bookshelf and told Scootaloo to keep quiet. She did as directed an stayed as silent as Angel Bunny.

The doors then suddenly opened and a loud, powerful crash was heard when it collided with the wall around the door frame. "Woops. Maybe I overdid it a little." Commented Twilight regretting how much magic she used on the door. She then took notice of the room she was in. "Well, it least we made it. Hey. Where'd they go?" Twilight proceeded to wander the record room in search of her brother and Scootaloo.

"They should be here. I saw them come through the door." Unnoticed to the lavender princess was something lurking in her shadow. Then it pounced.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" Twilight nearly jumped out of her coat as she frantically turned around to see what had attacked her. To her humiliation, it was none other then the very filly she was trying to help laughing as wildly as a happy hyena. "Wh-what? Scoot-Scoota...?" A stern look overcame Twilight's face as she processed what just happened. "Scootaloo!"

"You should have seen your face!" Laughed Scootaloo as she pointed a hoof at Twilight.

This frustrated Twilight. "Urgh! Scootaloo!... Where's Shining-" Twilight was unpleasantly as she turned around.

"Boo!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" Once again, Twilight was frightened but this time it was her brother and not a little filly that scared her.

"Haha! You're right Scootaloo! That was the best face I've ever seen." Shining then bursted out into a frenzy of uncontrollable laughing along with Scootaloo.

After Twilight processed what happened she once again became frustrated. "Oh! Shining!" She wined. "You put her up to this didn't you?" She pointed an accusing hoof at her brother.

"What can I say?" Shining asked jokingly. "I'm a genius."

Once again, Twilight became frustrated. "Oh, showoff!" Twilight took a moment to breath and calm down. "Well, we're here. Why don't you help me start looking for Scootaloo's birth records?"

"I would but I have some stuff I need to attend to." Shining started making his way to the door. "I'll see you soon, alright Twilight?"

"Hopefully next time would just be for a visit."

"Knowing your luck, I doubt it." Shining Armor then turned his attention over to Scootaloo. "See you around, Sport!"

Scootaloo waved her hoof at the captain. "Later Shining!"

Shining Armor walked out the door and Scootaloo and Twilight were back to how they started. Twilight let out a sigh. "Oh brother. Well, I guess we should start looking for your birth certificate."

Scootaloo looked at Twilight confused. "My what?"

"Your birth certificate. Basically it's a piece of paper that says when you were born and who your parents are." Clarified Twilight. "If we find that paper we can see who your parents are then we can find out where they live and hopefully get a chance to talk to them."

Scootaloo's eyes widened. "Really? Then let's hurry up and-" Scootaloo stopped mid sentence when she turned and saw how big the room was. Starting from the wall every three feet there was a bookshelf and each bookshelf was filled to the brim with everypony's personal records and documents. To Scootaloo, the room seemed like it went on forever. "That's a lot of paper." She gulped.

"Oh don't worry about it Scootaloo. Each bookshelf is alphabetized and labeled with a letter to show which letters are in this row of book shelves. All we have to do is find 'S' and finding your papers shouldn't be to hard from there." Twilight looked around for a second. She notice that the shelf they were near was labeled 'D' and the one ahead of them was labeled 'E'. "Okay. So all we need to do is keep walking straight and we'll eventually reach 'S'. Let's get going."

--------------------

It took them a few minutes to get there, especially considering how many ponies' names started with 'M', but they eventually reached 'S'.

"Finally! We made it!" Scootaloo jumped for joy a she ran into the row between the bookshelves. Unfortunately for there seamed to be even more documents there then there were in the 'M's. "Urgh! This is gonna take forever!"

Twilight walked up beside Scootaloo. "Calm down there small fry. There's more alphabetizing that happens within each letter."

"What?"

"Take a look at this." Twilight pointed to a label on one of the shelves. It read 'Sec-Sel'. "After they alphabetize the names into different letters they alphabetize the names within each letter so that each name is in exact alphabetical order. Oh you know how much I love alphabetical order!" Twilight gleefully exclaimed.

Scootaloo had a slightly less confused face as she replied, "Uh, no I don't."

Twilight opened her eyes, which she had closed when she made her cheerful statement, and looked at Scootaloo. "Huh? Oh. I thought Spike was here." Twilight let out a slightly embarrassed laugh. "Oops. Sorry."

"Can we just hurry up and find out who my parents are?" Scootaloo complained.

Twilight snapped out of her embarrassed state and continued walking down the row of papers. "Alright. Just follow me and we'll be there in..." Twilight stopped abruptly causing Scootaloo to walk into her hind legs. "Oh, look here it is!"

Scootaloo got up and walk in front of Twilight as she rubbed her nose. "You found it?!"

"No. I fount the row that it's in." Twilight motioned towards a row that was labeled 'Sco-Scr'. "All I have to do is look through them and find your files." Then she began to look trough the folders of papers in a focused way. "Scold... Scone... Scooter... Ah! Here we are!" Twilight pulled out one of the folders in her magic. "Scootaloo!"

Scootaloo let out an exasperated, "Finally! I can't wait to find out who my mom is!"

Twilight looked through the folder and found Scootaloo's birth certificate. "And here's the birth certificate." Twilight took one look at the piece of paper and noticed that something was wrong. "What?!"

"What? Is something wrong?" Scootaloo asked as she became a little worried.

"The place where you're suppose to put the name of the mother is blank." Said Twilight as she showed Scootaloo the birth certificate.

"What?! H-how?" Asked Scootaloo staring at the paper. Not knowing what she was suppose to see.

"Well sometimes, on special requests, the mother can ask for specific things like what kind of doctor she wants, who she wants to handle the baby and she can even request that her name not be on the birth certificate." Twilight explained.

Scootaloo's eyes began to tear up. "But... why would she do that?" She said starting to sob.

Twilight wrapped a wing around the crying little filly which made her crying soften a little. "But there's still some good news."

Scootaloo's tears began to slow down at the thought of there being good news. "The-there is?" She said looking up at the lavender alicorn.

Twilight nodded. "Thanks to Equestrian law, at least one of the parents have to have their name written on the certificate. That means that we still know your father's name."

Scootaloo's tears had completely stopped and a smile began to spread across her face. "M-my dad?"

"Father." Twilight corrected. "And yes. His name is..." Twilight took another look at the certificate. "Picture Perfect."

Scootaloo stared dumbfounded at the birth certificate. "My dad's name is Picture Perfect?"

"Father." Twilight corrected again. "But yes. It says his name is Picture Perfect."

"Do you know where he lives?" Scootaloo asked eager to meet her newly discovered father.

"Uh, no. But I know where we can find out." Twilight said in a Matter-of-fact type of voice. "There's this building in Manehattan that has the address of everypony in Equestria. All we have to do is go to Manehattan and look him up."

Scootaloo's eyes widened. "You're taking me to Manehattan?!" Twilight nodded. Scootaloo began jumping for joy as she excitedly said, "Oh my gosh! I've always wanted to go to Manehattan but the orphanage barely let me go out of the town boundaries. I can't believe I finally get to go to Manehattan!"

Twilight was about to stand up to begin making her way to the door when she heard hoofsteps. She looked to see where to hoofsteps were coming from and at the last second saw a figure run into the hallway and out of sight. She quickly chased after it, running only part of the way while she teleported herself the rest of the way, stopping only when she was actually in the hallway. Somehow the hoofsteps from before were no longer audible and the pony that was making the sound had seamed to have disappeared along with it.

Twilight didn't understand. It was a very long and hallway with no intersecting hallways for the first half a kilometer-meters or so. There was no way some pony was able to make it out of sight by the time Twilight had reached the hallway. How was someone able to get out of sight before Twilight had arrived? They could have either teleported, which was quite possible, or they could have been quite the speed demon. The latter was less likely.

After Twilight finished up with her thought, Scootaloo had ran to her side barely losing her breath. "Hey! What was the big idea leaving me back there?" She complained having caught her breath.

"I heard hoofsteps in this hallway." Replied the the lavender alicorn, never once taking her eyes off of the hallway.

"Well it's gone now. Can we hurry up and go to Manehattan already?" Diligently asked Scootaloo.

"Sure. Let's get moving." Said Twilight uneasily as she walked down the hallway she had been staring at. She was unable to put her mind at ease as they made their way down the hallway. Twilight couldn't help but question 'Is somepony following us? Why would anyone want to do that?'

-----------------

As Twilight and Scootaloo made their way out of the castle a pony watch them making sure to stay hidden in the shadows.

Princess Celestia walked up behind the pony and, having recognized them, gave them some words of wisdom. "You're going to have to tell her eventually."

All the pony could do was stare at a picture and cry. "Scootaloo..." The pony sobbed. "I'm sorry."